|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What betrayal does the song "Tears of Rage" convey?
(a) A husband betrayed by his wife.
(b) A man betrayed by his best friend.
(c) Americans betrayed by the promise for success.
(d) America betrayed by those who refuse it.
2. What is Sam Phillips' profession?
(c) Record producer.
3. Who wrote the book discussed in the Prologue?
(a) Nicholas Sparks.
(b) Irwin Shaw.
(c) Erich Segal.
(d) John Steinbeck.
4. What type of art does Marcus think rock 'n' roll is?
5. Who said "If I could find a white man who had the Negro sound and the Negro feel . . . I could make a billion dollars"?
(a) Carl Perkins.
(b) Sam Phillips.
(c) Harmonica Frank.
(d) Greil Marcus.
6. What author does Marcus quote in the beginning of "Robert Johnson -1938" to illustrate the promise of American life?
(a) Herman Melville.
(b) Norman Mailer.
(c) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(d) Robert Johnson.
7. In "The Band," what problem does Marcus reveal about The Band's sense of community?
(a) They had a false sense of community.
(b) They lose themselves in each other.
(c) They struggle to live in it.
(d) They are isolationists.
8. According to Marcus in "Harmonica Frank -1951," whose music caught the spirit and sound of Harmonica Frank and made it popular?
(a) Bob Dylan.
(b) Elvis Presley.
(c) Sam Phillips.
(d) Little Richard.
9. According to Marcus in "Robert Johnson -1938," what is the only way to quiet Johnson's song "Stones in My Passway"?
(a) Turn it off.
(b) Ear plugs.
(c) Walk away.
(d) Turn it down.
10. According to Marcus, what do popular artists do for people?
(a) Take away fear and pain.
(b) Isolate them from people who dislike their music.
(c) Create a community.
(d) Speak for them.
11. From what song does Marcus quote to introduce the chapter "Robert Johnson -1938"?
(a) "Rip It Up."
(b) "Love in Vain."
(c) "All Shook Up."
(d) "Me and the Devil Blues."
12. According to Marcus in "The Band," what is the storyteller in the second album?
13. Whom does Marcus claim puts the pieces together to find meaning in the music?
(a) Rock 'n' rollers.
(b) The critic.
(d) The audience.
14. According to the critics Marcus references in "The Band," who was Robbie Robertson's "foil"?
(a) Robert Manuel.
(b) The audience.
(c) The manager.
(d) The Band.
15. What type of music did Robert Johnson sing?
(c) Rock 'n' roll.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Robert Johnson - 1938," why do some of Robert Johnson's contemporaries say that Johnson sold his soul to the devil?
2. Who sang "Fool about mah money/don't try to save"?
3. What type of music did Harmonica Frank sing?
4. Who interrupts the fight over the book in the Prologue?
5. How does Marcus define a band in "The Band"?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)