|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What image does The Band use that shows both division and unity?
(b) The Great Divide.
2. What does Marcus say each performer he will discuss in the book attempts to do?
(b) Make music for money.
(c) Create oneself.
(d) Redefine love.
3. What was Johnson's instrument of choice?
4. What is the last number on The Band album?
(a) "King Harvest."
(c) "Crossing the Great Divide."
(d) "Whispering Pines."
5. What is the subject of Robert Johnson's song "Stones in My Passway"?
(a) The end of the world as we know it.
(b) A man seeking salvation.
(c) A woman the speaker misses.
(d) A man who wants power over other souls.
6. Who did Marcus speak with while in Woodstock to interview Robbie Robertson?
(a) Sly Stone.
(b) Bob Dylan.
(c) Robert Manuel.
(d) Dominique Robertson.
7. According to Marcus in "Harmonica Frank -1951," whose music caught the spirit and sound of Harmonica Frank and made it popular?
(a) Bob Dylan.
(b) Elvis Presley.
(c) Little Richard.
(d) Sam Phillips.
8. Who is the main character in the song "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down"?
(a) Robert E. Lee.
(b) Virgil Kane.
(c) Robert Levon.
(d) Robbie Robertson.
9. Who said "If I could find a white man who had the Negro sound and the Negro feel . . . I could make a billion dollars"?
(a) Carl Perkins.
(b) Greil Marcus.
(c) Sam Phillips.
(d) Harmonica Frank.
10. According to Marcus in "Robert Johnson -1938," what is the American struggle?
(a) To get rich quick.
(b) To be the best and not hurt others.
(c) To be an artist and not lose oneself.
(d) To free oneself from constraints and learn the value of those limits.
11. What does Marcus name the storyteller from The Band's lyrics?
(a) Big Pink.
(c) The worried man.
(d) The knight.
12. Which of the following performers will NOT be discussed in Mystery Train?
(a) Chuck Berry.
(b) Sly Stone.
(c) Elvis Presley.
(d) Randy Newman.
13. What song does Marcus claim is Robert Johnson's most terrifying song?
(a) "Walking Blues."
(b) "Stones in My Passway."
(c) "Come on in My Kitchen."
(d) "Me and the Devil Blues."
14. How many songs did Johnson record before he died?
15. In the Prologue, Marcus says that the music he will discuss dramatizes what?
(a) Life in the projects.
(b) The racial tensions of the time.
(c) The war.
(d) What it means to be American.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Marcus claim puts the pieces together to find meaning in the music?
2. What is the name of the television show that Greil Marcus uses as an example in the Prologue?
3. What does Marcus think the performers discussed in the Prologue have in common?
4. How did Harmonica Frank get his name?
5. Who does Marcus compare Phillips to in the beginning of "Harmonica Frank - 1951"?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)