|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Marcus in "Randy Newman," whose song was Randy Newman answering in his version of "Suzanne"?
(a) Leonard Cohen.
(b) The Beatles.
(c) Robert Johnson.
(d) The Beach Boys.
2. According to Marcus, who is the focus in the song "Sail Away"?
(a) The Africans.
(b) The confidence man.
(c) The slaves.
(d) The listener.
3. What is the name of Randy Newman's album that finally gained him a larger audience?
(a) Sunny Afternoon.
(b) Good Old Boys.
(c) Sail Away.
(d) The Godfather.
4. Who said "if I couldn't perform I'd give up . . . It's not a question of the money side of it. . . not having that ninety minutes up there anymore. Phew. I don't like to think about it"?
(a) John Lennon.
(b) Randy Newman.
(c) Van Morrison.
(d) Rod Stewart.
5. In the introduction to "Elvis," Marcus claims that Elvis epitomizes what?
(a) The chaos of Harmonica Frank.
(b) The worst of our culture.
(c) The best of our culture.
(d) The anger of Robert Johnson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did Bob Dylan claim was "America's greatest poet"?
2. When referencing the South, who said "it's the only place in the country I've ever been where you can actually drive down the highway at night, and if you listen, you hear music"?
3. In "Elvis," what song does Marcus use to illustrate the work Elvis puts into his music?
4. What archetype does Newman represent?
5. Who said "I learned the words to Little Richard's songs the best I could and what I couldn't figure out didn't matter"?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)