|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Randy Newman - Every Man is Free.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did political activist, Eldridge Cleaver, not want to go to jail?
(a) He loved freedom too much.
(b) He did not want to lose his friends.
(c) He was afraid to be the next Billy Lyons.
(d) He was innocent.
2. What happened the first day of The Band's first concert after releasing The Band?
(a) They played their best performance.
(b) They broke up.
(c) They got stage fright.
(d) They invented crowd surfing.
3. According to Marcus, who is the focus in the song "Sail Away"?
(a) The slaves.
(b) The listener.
(c) The Africans.
(d) The confidence man.
4. According to Marcus in "Robert Johnson -1938," what gives music "mythical authority"?
(a) When the songs attract fans.
(b) When the music tells a story.
(c) When the singer uses a deeper tenor.
(d) When the music reflects life.
5. From whom does Marcus quote in the beginning to introduce the myth of Staggerlee in "Sly Stone"?
(a) Billy Lyon.
(b) James Brown.
(c) Sly Stone.
(d) Bobby Seale.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Marcus in "Randy Newman," whose song was Randy Newman answering in his version of "Suzanne"?
2. What was a nickname given to Randy Newman by Lenny Waronker?
3. According to Marcus in "Robert Johnson -1938," what is the American struggle?
4. What type of Staggerlee does Sly create in Riot?
5. In "The Band," Marcus tells that Robbie Robertson believed the "music" came from where?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)