|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Randy Newman - Every Man is Free.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who said "If you have a mother-in-law with only one eye, and that eye is in the middle of her forehead, you don't keep her in the living room"?
(a) Lyndon Johnson.
(b) Erich Segal.
(c) Norman Mailer.
(d) Harmonica Frank.
2. According to Marcus in "Robert Johnson -1938," what gives music "mythical authority"?
(a) When the songs attract fans.
(b) When the singer uses a deeper tenor.
(c) When the music tells a story.
(d) When the music reflects life.
3. Who is the main character in the song "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down"?
(a) Robert Levon.
(b) Virgil Kane.
(c) Robbie Robertson.
(d) Robert E. Lee.
4. What is the mood in the Riot album?
5. In "The Band," what does Marcus say the Band felt was a mistake?
(a) The politics were quieting down because of the loss of great political leaders.
(b) Country music was the most popular music.
(c) Young Americans thought rock 'n' roll was on its way out.
(d) Young Americans felt like exiles in America.
Short Answer Questions
1. What political group does Marcus compare to Sly Stone's music in "Sly Stone"?
2. Who wrote "We needed . . . to be violently stirred into life . . . intolerable social constraints grew daily upon us"?
3. What happened the first day of The Band's first concert after releasing The Band?
4. Who said "If I could find a white man who had the Negro sound and the Negro feel . . . I could make a billion dollars"?
5. Who said "I played rock and roll before I ever heard of Elvis Presley. I saw him in Memphis before he ever made a record"?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)