|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Band - Pilgrims' Progress (Comprising sections The Righteous Land through The Weight).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Marcus, what do popular artists do for people?
(a) Take away fear and pain.
(b) Speak for them.
(c) Create a community.
(d) Isolate them from people who dislike their music.
2. According to Marcus in "Harmonica Frank -1951," what do both Ahab and Huck have in common?
(a) They have aunts who try to civilize them.
(b) They try to escape restraints and authority.
(c) They are after a dream that is not real.
(d) They go on adventures for the sake of adventure.
3. Who wrote the book discussed in the Prologue?
(a) Erich Segal.
(b) Nicholas Sparks.
(c) John Steinbeck.
(d) Irwin Shaw.
4. In the section "Even Stranger Blues," to what does Marcus compare Robbie's guitar sound?
(a) Cats on the fence.
(b) A car screeching to a halt.
(c) Chuck Berry's performance at the Grand.
(d) Jim Brown's performance in The Dirty Dozen.
5. What is Sam Phillips' profession?
(a) Record producer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What author does Marcus quote in the beginning of "Robert Johnson -1938" to illustrate the promise of American life?
2. From what song does Marcus quote to introduce the chapter "Robert Johnson -1938"?
3. What type of music did Harmonica Frank sing?
4. In "Robert Johnson - 1938," why do some of Robert Johnson's contemporaries say that Johnson sold his soul to the devil?
5. Who said "If you have a mother-in-law with only one eye, and that eye is in the middle of her forehead, you don't keep her in the living room"?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)