|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Band - Pilgrims' Progress (Comprising sections Introduction through Crossing the Border).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the subject of Robert Johnson's song "Stones in My Passway"?
(a) A woman the speaker misses.
(b) A man seeking salvation.
(c) A man who wants power over other souls.
(d) The end of the world as we know it.
2. What is American culture built on according to Marcus?
3. In "Robert Johnson - 1938," why do some of Robert Johnson's contemporaries say that Johnson sold his soul to the devil?
(a) He learned to play the blues quickly.
(b) He bragged about it in his songs.
(c) He began speaking in tongues.
(d) He practiced voodoo.
4. Who wrote the song entitled "Layla"?
(a) Mick Jagger.
(b) Sly Stone.
(c) Eric Clapton.
(d) Robert Johnson.
5. According to Marcus in "Harmonica Frank -1951," whose music caught the spirit and sound of Harmonica Frank and made it popular?
(a) Sam Phillips.
(b) Elvis Presley.
(c) Little Richard.
(d) Bob Dylan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Marcus compare Phillips to in the beginning of "Harmonica Frank - 1951"?
2. From what feeling does Robert Johnson pull his images?
3. According to Marcus, what do popular artists do for people?
4. From what song does Marcus quote to introduce the chapter "Robert Johnson -1938"?
5. What does Marcus name the storyteller from The Band's lyrics?
This section contains 243 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)