|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Band - Pilgrims' Progress (Comprising sections Introduction through Crossing the Border).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What song of Elvis Presley's is mentioned as having the "young hold on freedom" and a "touch of fear" reminiscent to Robert Johnson's?
(a) "God's Song."
(b) "Peace in the Valley."
(c) "Blue Suede Shoes."
(d) "Hound Dog."
2. How did Marcus feel when Elvis was drafted?
3. Why does Marcus believe it is important to study the stories of some performers even if the book does not encompass everything?
(a) The story matters.
(b) It is a glimpse of the future.
(c) It is fun.
(d) The truth needs to be told.
4. In "The Band," what does Marcus point to as the reason that The Band had the influences of many different bands and yet had an original sound?
(a) They were inheritors of rock 'n' roll.
(b) They studied under many different bands.
(c) They were musical geniuses.
(d) They stole from the best and pieced it together.
5. In "The Band," Marcus tells that groups are images of what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What author does Marcus quote in the beginning of "Robert Johnson -1938" to illustrate the promise of American life?
2. In the Prologue, Marcus says that the music he will discuss dramatizes what?
3. What was the original name of the Band in the early sixties?
4. With whom did the Band play from 1965 to 1966, helping him and themselves to improve and gain popularity?
5. What is the "old American idea" that the worried man is stuck in according to Marcus?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)