|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Robert Johnson - 1938.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of music did Harmonica Frank sing?
(a) Rock 'n roll.
2. What does Marcus say each performer he will discuss in the book attempts to do?
(b) Make music for money.
(c) Redefine love.
(d) Create oneself.
3. According to Marcus in "Robert Johnson -1938," what is the American struggle?
(a) To get rich quick.
(b) To be an artist and not lose oneself.
(c) To free oneself from constraints and learn the value of those limits.
(d) To be the best and not hurt others.
4. According to Marcus, what do popular artists do for people?
(a) Isolate them from people who dislike their music.
(b) Speak for them.
(c) Take away fear and pain.
(d) Create a community.
5. According to the Prologue, why are Harmonica Frank and Robert Johnson included in Mystery Train?
(a) They are rock 'n' roll legends.
(b) They preceded rock 'n' roll.
(c) They taught the rock 'n' roll legends.
(d) They were against rock 'n' roll.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the television show that Greil Marcus uses as an example in the Prologue?
2. Who said "I played rock and roll before I ever heard of Elvis Presley. I saw him in Memphis before he ever made a record"?
3. The Prologue states that Marcus wants to discuss rock 'n' roll in what context?
4. Who wrote the book discussed in the Prologue?
5. Whom does Marcus claim puts the pieces together to find meaning in the music?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)