|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Band - Pilgrims' Progress (Comprising sections Introduction through Crossing the Border).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marcus name the storyteller from The Band's lyrics?
(a) The knight.
(c) The worried man.
(d) Big Pink.
2. According to Marcus, what was country music doing in the early 50s?
(a) Changing their lives.
(b) Making people feel better.
(c) Making people think.
(d) Boring them.
3. According to the Prologue, why are Harmonica Frank and Robert Johnson included in Mystery Train?
(a) They are rock 'n' roll legends.
(b) They taught the rock 'n' roll legends.
(c) They were against rock 'n' roll.
(d) They preceded rock 'n' roll.
4. In "Harmonica Frank -1951," what song does Marcus say "set the stage for rock 'n' roll"?
(a) "Rockin' Chair Daddy."
(b) "Howling Tomcat."
(c) "Up on Cripple Creek."
(d) "Mixed-Up Confusion."
5. What was Johnson's instrument of choice?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the original name of the Band in the early sixties?
2. Why does Marcus believe it is important to study the stories of some performers even if the book does not encompass everything?
3. What is added in the middle of the chapter "Harmonica Frank -1951," set off with a note from the author?
4. What type of art does Marcus think rock 'n' roll is?
5. What does Marcus say failure mean to Americans in "Robert Johnson -1938"?
This section contains 241 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)