|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Band - Pilgrims' Progress (Comprising sections Introduction through Crossing the Border).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Prologue, Marcus says that the music he will discuss dramatizes what?
(a) The racial tensions of the time.
(b) The war.
(c) What it means to be American.
(d) Life in the projects.
2. Four of the members from The Band are from where?
(c) North Carolina.
3. In "The Band," Marcus tells that Robbie Robertson believed the "music" came from where?
(c) The land.
4. What religious group does Marcus compare blues singers to in "Robert Johnson -1938"?
5. According to the Prologue, why are Harmonica Frank and Robert Johnson included in Mystery Train?
(a) They were against rock 'n' roll.
(b) They are rock 'n' roll legends.
(c) They preceded rock 'n' roll.
(d) They taught the rock 'n' roll legends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What song of Elvis Presley's is mentioned as having the "young hold on freedom" and a "touch of fear" reminiscent to Robert Johnson's?
2. What author does Marcus quote in the beginning of "Robert Johnson -1938" to illustrate the promise of American life?
3. What is the subject of Robert Johnson's song "Stones in My Passway"?
4. In "Harmonica Frank -1951," what does Marcus tell was his first Elvis record?
5. In "The Band," what is Marcus' "sentimental favorite" American motto?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)