|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sly Stone - The Myth of Staggerlee (Comprising sections Sly Versus Superfly through A Quiet Rebellion).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote "Papa Was a Rolling Stone?'
(a) The Temptations.
(b) Bob Dylan.
(c) Sly Stone.
(d) Jimmy Hendrix.
2. How does Marcus define a band in "The Band"?
(a) Individuals working together to achieve something they cannot on their own.
(b) A singer, a drummer, and at least one guitarist.
(c) A group of people who have been together for a long time.
(d) Individuals playing music together.
3. What "spirit" does Harmonica Frank have that Marcus believes is truly American?
(a) Tender and free.
(b) Cruel and truthful.
(c) Crazy and chaotic.
(d) Unrepentant and free.
4. According to Marcus, what is the affirmation that sums up The Band?
(a) Nothing is really divided.
(b) Life has been so good to us all.
(c) Don't worry, Be happy.
(d) Bad things happen, and you can't do anything about it.
5. Who said "If I could find a white man who had the Negro sound and the Negro feel . . . I could make a billion dollars"?
(a) Harmonica Frank.
(b) Carl Perkins.
(c) Greil Marcus.
(d) Sam Phillips.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the song entitled "Layla"?
2. What literary term does Marcus identify with the line "When he died, all he left us was alone"?
3. In "The Band," to what does Marcus compare the song "We Can Talk About It Now"?
4. Who, according to Marcus, gave Staggerlee the cruelest epitaph?
5. What author does Marcus quote in the beginning of "Robert Johnson -1938" to illustrate the promise of American life?
This section contains 265 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)