|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Elvis - Presliad (Comprising sections Fanfare through The Rockabilly Moment).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who said "This is the mystery of democracy . . . that its richest fruits spring up out of souls which no man has prepared and in circumstances where they are least expected"?
(a) Woodrow Wilson.
(b) Elvis Presley.
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
(d) Greil Marcus.
2. From what feeling does Robert Johnson pull his images?
3. What motto of Hank Williams' made him similar to Robert Johnson according to Marcus?
(a) Life goes on.
(b) The end is near.
(c) What life doesn't give me, I'll take.
(d) Nothing really matters.
4. Whom did Bob Dylan claim was "America's greatest poet"?
(a) Randy Newman.
(b) Bob Dylan.
(c) Sly Stone.
(d) Smokey Robinson.
5. What type of Staggerlee does Sly create in Riot?
(a) The baddest.
(b) One that regrets his crimes.
(c) The cruelest.
(d) One that does not get away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What author does Marcus quote in the beginning of "Robert Johnson -1938" to illustrate the promise of American life?
2. From whom does Marcus quote in the beginning to introduce the myth of Staggerlee in "Sly Stone"?
3. In "Robert Johnson - 1938," why do some of Robert Johnson's contemporaries say that Johnson sold his soul to the devil?
4. What did some bullies call Elvis before he was a star and had grown side burns?
5. What is Sly Stone's given name?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)