|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Elvis - Presliad (Comprising sections Fanfare through The Rockabilly Moment).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who said "when I was a boy . . . I was the hero in comic books and movies. I grew up believing in a dream"?
(a) Hank Williams.
(b) Greil Marcus.
(c) Elvis Presley.
(d) Johnny Cash.
2. What is Sly Stone's given name?
(a) Sly Stone.
(b) Stanley Stewart.
(c) Sylvester Stewart.
(d) Sylvester Stone.
3. In "Robert Johnson - 1938," why do some of Robert Johnson's contemporaries say that Johnson sold his soul to the devil?
(a) He learned to play the blues quickly.
(b) He began speaking in tongues.
(c) He practiced voodoo.
(d) He bragged about it in his songs.
4. Staggerlee and Sly Stone are both powerful, but what is different about them?
(a) Sly did not kill anyone to get power.
(b) Staggerlee worked his way to the top.
(c) Sly bought his fame.
(d) Staggerlee had no emotion.
5. Marcus tells that Melville once wrote that a man is only free if he says what?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Elvis," Marcus compares Elvis to what character envisioned by Ralph Waldo Emerson?
2. What religious group does Marcus compare blues singers to in "Robert Johnson -1938"?
3. To which historical figure does Marcus compare Elvis?
4. What did some bullies call Elvis before he was a star and had grown side burns?
5. What did Sly Stone call his band?
This section contains 243 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)