Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jim constantly reminded of during his time at the university?
2. What keeps Jim from visiting Antonia?
3. What is the connection between Jim and Virgil?
4. Who does Jim first encounter when he arrives at Antonia's home?
5. How does "Camille" affect Jim and Lena?
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes My Antonia explores is transformation or metamorphosis. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
The settings used in My Antonia almost serve as characters in the novel. Select three of the settings in the novel and:
1) discuss the impact of the setting on the plot development
2) discuss the impact of the setting on the characters
3) the ways that the narrator personifies the setting
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
In the final book of the novel (Book 5) the author abruptly shifts the narrative forward 20 years. In your essay:
1) describe how the last chapter reads differently than the earlier chapters
2) explain why you think the author made this shift
3) react to her choice. Do you think this was the best way to end the novel? Why?
Be sure to use specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)