|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lena tell Jim that Antonia is now working?
2. Where does Jim go on his only break during the summer?
3. What is occurring on the farms when Jim goes to visit Widow Steavens?
4. How does Tiny make her fortune?
5. What does Jim romanticize at the end of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Cuzak's life story as he tells it to Jim
2. What events occur when Jim visits Antonia?
3. How does Cleric Gaston interpret Virgil's line "Primus ego in patriam mecum . . . deducam Musas", or, "for I shall be the first, if I live, to bring the Muse into my own country.?"
4. Describe Larry Donovan from Jim's perspective.
5. Summarize the story Rudolph tells about the Cutters.
6. Why does Jim believe he will never be a brilliant scholar?
7. What feelings does Antonia share with Jim as they wait for the others to arrive at the river? How does Jim reassure her?
8. Who proposes to Lena? How does she respond?
9. Describe Gaston Cleric
10. How does the Polish violin teacher attempt to determine Jim's intentions with Lena? How does he react to Jim's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several characters who influence the person that the narrator becomes. Select the two characters who you believe have the greatest impact on his development and:
1) describe each character's actions or beliefs as they relate to Jim
2) discuss the impact of this character on Jim's life and personality
3) discuss why you selected each particular character. What about each character made him/her more of an influence on Jim than others?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Select the most sympathetic and least sympathetic characters in the novel. Write an essay:
1) describing why you think each is sympathetic/not sympathetic
2) defend your position using details from the novel
Essay Topic 3
The influence of men on Antonia's development is a recurring topic in My Antonia. Select two of the following men and discuss the relationship between him and Antonia. Focus your discussion on the ways the the man does or does not influence her development in a positive way. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
3) Mr. Shimerda
4) Larry Donovan
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)