|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jim romanticize at the end of the novel?
2. What upsetting news does Antonia learn in a letter from Larry Donovan prior to their marriage?
3. Who does Antonia say will always be a part of her life?
4. Who does Jim hold responsible for Wick Cutter's negative actions?
5. What gives Wick Cutter an advantage with the immigrant farmers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Jim to reinterpret sections of Virgil's Georgics? How does he see a particular passage differently?
2. Who proposes to Lena? How does she respond?
3. Describe the changes in Tiny Soderball's life from the point that Jim last saw her to present
4. Describe Larry Donovan from Jim's perspective.
5. Summarize the story Rudolph tells about the Cutters.
6. How does Jim mark his transition to manhood in this chapter?
7. Describe Wick Cutter.
8. Why does Jim think it is ironic that Antonia's marriage failed?
9. What does Jim tell the group of girls to convince them that Spaniards settled in Nebraska?
10. What events occur when Jim visits Antonia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several characters who influence the person that the narrator becomes. Select the two characters who you believe have the greatest impact on his development and:
1) describe each character's actions or beliefs as they relate to Jim
2) discuss the impact of this character on Jim's life and personality
3) discuss why you selected each particular character. What about each character made him/her more of an influence on Jim than others?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes My Antonia explores is the relationship between humans and the land. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
In the inscription for My Antonia Willa Cather quotes Virgil (Optima dies . . . prima fugit," or the best days are the first to flee). Discuss the significance of this quote for the novel as a whole. Why do you think the author chose this inscription? What commentary is she making?
Be sure to use specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)