|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jim invite on a hunting trip in the Fall?
2. What becomes Antonia's primary preoccupation once she begins working for the Cutters?
3. Where do Antonia and Jim walk to during his visit to the Shimerda farm?
4. According to Lena, why did Ole Benson marry his wife?
5. Who does JIm befriend while staying in Lincoln?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In My Antonia a few minor characters have a major impact on the story line. Select one of the following minor characters to analyze: Wick Cutter, Otto Fuchs, Tiny Soderball, Ambrosch Shimerda. Discuss:
1) The personality (character traits) of this character
2) The relationship between this minor character and the major characters in the story
3) The impact of this character on the story line--How does s/he influence the overall story line? How would the story be different if this character was removed?
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes My Antonia explores is family. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
The role that the land plays in the lives of the characters in this novel is integral to its plot and themes. Pick two of the novel's characters and compare and contrast:
1) their relationship with the land
2) how the relationship develops
3) how they chose to demonstrate feelings about the land.
Be sure to use specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)