|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mrs. Harling tell Jim to ask about Antonia's marriage?
2. What has become of Antonia's daughter with Larry Donovan?
3. What warning does Mrs. Steavens give Ambrosch?
4. Why does Gaston Cleric suggest that Jim accompany him to Harvard?
5. How does "Camille" affect Jim and Lena?
Essay Topic 1
Select the most sympathetic and least sympathetic characters in the novel. Write an essay:
1) describing why you think each is sympathetic/not sympathetic
2) defend your position using details from the novel
Essay Topic 2
In the inscription for My Antonia Willa Cather quotes Virgil (Optima dies . . . prima fugit," or the best days are the first to flee). Discuss the significance of this quote for the novel as a whole. Why do you think the author chose this inscription? What commentary is she making?
Be sure to use specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
The influence of men on Antonia's development is a recurring topic in My Antonia. Select two of the following men and discuss the relationship between him and Antonia. Focus your discussion on the ways the the man does or does not influence her development in a positive way. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
3) Mr. Shimerda
4) Larry Donovan
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)