|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jim call the road leading to his grandparents' farm?
2. Where do Jim and Lena often go together in Lincoln?
3. Which of the girls arrives at the river first?
4. What does Mrs. Harling give Jim as a graduation present?
5. Who does Mrs. Harling tell Jim to ask about Antonia's marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Larry Donovan from Jim's perspective.
2. How does the Polish violin teacher attempt to determine Jim's intentions with Lena? How does he react to Jim's response?
3. What event occurs as Jim stays at the Cutters' home?
4. What feelings does Antonia share with Jim as they wait for the others to arrive at the river? How does Jim reassure her?
5. Summarize the story Rudolph tells about the Cutters.
6. Describe Antonia's preparations for marriage.
7. What does Jim tell the group of girls to convince them that Spaniards settled in Nebraska?
8. Describe Cuzak's life story as he tells it to Jim
9. Summarize the story of Antonia and Larry Donovan's failed attempt at marriage (as told by Widow Steavens).
10. What causes Jim to reinterpret sections of Virgil's Georgics? How does he see a particular passage differently?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes My Antonia explores is transformation or metamorphosis. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Select the most sympathetic and least sympathetic characters in the novel. Write an essay:
1) describing why you think each is sympathetic/not sympathetic
2) defend your position using details from the novel
Essay Topic 3
My Antonia takes place over a time span of nearly 50 years. Discuss the impact of time on the plot and characters in the novel. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)