|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jim stay when he is in Lincoln?
2. What does Antonia tell Jim she believes is her purpose in life?
3. Who is suspicious of Jim's visits to Lena?
4. Who does Antonia eventually marry?
5. Why does Antonia not ask Larry Donovan for a civil marriage?
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes My Antonia explores is perseverance. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
In My Antonia a few minor characters have a major impact on the story line. Select one of the following minor characters to analyze: Wick Cutter, Otto Fuchs, Tiny Soderball, Ambrosch Shimerda. Discuss:
1) The personality (character traits) of this character
2) The relationship between this minor character and the major characters in the story
3) The impact of this character on the story line--How does s/he influence the overall story line? How would the story be different if this character was removed?
Essay Topic 3
The influence of men on Antonia's development is a recurring topic in My Antonia. Select two of the following men and discuss the relationship between him and Antonia. Focus your discussion on the ways the the man does or does not influence her development in a positive way. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
3) Mr. Shimerda
4) Larry Donovan
This section contains 1,205 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)