|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wick Cutter do before leaving for Omaha that Grandmother Burden finds suspicious?
2. What is Jim constantly reminded of during his time at the university?
3. What does Jim find as an unusual trait in Cuzak?
4. Who urges Jim to visit Antonia after many years?
5. How do women generally respond to Larry Donovan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jim tell the group of girls to convince them that Spaniards settled in Nebraska?
2. How do Mr. and Mrs. Cutter respond to the incident in the Cutters' home between Jim and Wick?
3. How does the novel come full circle at the end?
4. What events occur when Jim visits Antonia?
5. Who proposes to Lena? How does she respond?
6. How does the Polish violin teacher attempt to determine Jim's intentions with Lena? How does he react to Jim's response?
7. Describe Wick Cutter.
8. How does dancing with Lena differ from dancing with Antonia in Jim's mind?
9. How does Jim mark his transition to manhood in this chapter?
10. How does Jim's grandmother react to Jim attending dances at the Fireman's Hall? How does Jim respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of the novel, My Antonia, takes on several layers of meaning as the story develops. Discuss the significance of the title. Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
My Antonia is primarily a first person narrative written from the point of view of Jim. Discuss how this fact influences the story. What biases does Jim bring to the story? How would the novel be different if another character was telling the story? Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
The influence of men on Antonia's development is a recurring topic in My Antonia. Select two of the following men and discuss the relationship between him and Antonia. Focus your discussion on the ways the the man does or does not influence her development in a positive way. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
3) Mr. Shimerda
4) Larry Donovan
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)