|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rudolph tell Jim was the source of much conflict between the Cutters?
2. What does Jim create for Nina Harling?
3. What do Antonia and Jim's grandmother discover when they return to the Cutter home to pack up Antonia's belongings?
4. What became of Antonia's marriage to Larry Donovan?
5. What has become of Antonia's daughter with Larry Donovan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolic about Jim and Antonia talking at Mr. Shimerda's grave site?
2. How do Mr. and Mrs. Cutter respond to the incident in the Cutters' home between Jim and Wick?
3. Why does Jim think it is ironic that Antonia's marriage failed?
4. Describe Wick Cutter.
5. Describe Antonia's preparations for marriage.
6. How does Cleric Gaston interpret Virgil's line "Primus ego in patriam mecum . . . deducam Musas", or, "for I shall be the first, if I live, to bring the Muse into my own country.?"
7. What part of Camille most affects Jim?
8. How does Jim react to Antonia when he comes to visit her after many years?
9. Describe Jim and Antonia's relationship after 20 years have passed
10. How does the Polish violin teacher attempt to determine Jim's intentions with Lena? How does he react to Jim's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes My Antonia explores is family. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Death plays an important role in this novel. Write an essay:
1) describing the ways death is portrayed in the novel
2) examining the significance of death in the plot and character development
3) arguing what you believe the author is trying to say about mortality through the novel.
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
In the inscription for My Antonia Willa Cather quotes Virgil (Optima dies . . . prima fugit," or the best days are the first to flee). Discuss the significance of this quote for the novel as a whole. Why do you think the author chose this inscription? What commentary is she making?
Be sure to use specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)