|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Gaston Cleric suggest that Jim accompany him to Harvard?
2. How does Larry Donovan's manner change when he is with women?
3. Which of the girls arrives at the river first?
4. What is occurring on the farms when Jim goes to visit Widow Steavens?
5. Who is the speaker at Jim's graduation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolic about Jim and Antonia talking at Mr. Shimerda's grave site?
2. Summarize the story of Antonia and Larry Donovan's failed attempt at marriage (as told by Widow Steavens).
3. How does Jim react to Antonia when he comes to visit her after many years?
4. What does Jim tell the group of girls to convince them that Spaniards settled in Nebraska?
5. Why does Jim think it is ironic that Antonia's marriage failed?
6. How does Jim's grandmother react to Jim attending dances at the Fireman's Hall? How does Jim respond?
7. Describe Jim and Antonia's relationship after 20 years have passed
8. What events occur when Jim visits Antonia?
9. How does the Polish violin teacher attempt to determine Jim's intentions with Lena? How does he react to Jim's response?
10. What part of Camille most affects Jim?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Shimerda family is complex. Discuss:
1) the personalities of each of the characters
2) the ways that they influence each other
3) the impact of the collective family on the story line.
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes My Antonia explores is the relationship between humans and the land. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes My Antonia explores is family. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)