|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ambrosch give Antonia when she leaves to marry Donovan?
2. How does Wick Cutter react when he finds Jim in his home?
3. How do women generally respond to Larry Donovan?
4. Who does Jim hold responsible for Wick Cutter's negative actions?
5. Who does Jim see as the inspiration for all poetry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the changes in Tiny Soderball's life from the point that Jim last saw her to present
2. What does Jim tell the group of girls to convince them that Spaniards settled in Nebraska?
3. How does the novel come full circle at the end?
4. Summarize the story Rudolph tells about the Cutters.
5. Describe Cuzak's life story as he tells it to Jim
6. Why does Jim think it is ironic that Antonia's marriage failed?
7. How does the Polish violin teacher attempt to determine Jim's intentions with Lena? How does he react to Jim's response?
8. How does Jim mark his transition to manhood in this chapter?
9. Why does Jim believe he will never be a brilliant scholar?
10. Describe Gaston Cleric
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the inscription for My Antonia Willa Cather quotes Virgil (Optima dies . . . prima fugit," or the best days are the first to flee). Discuss the significance of this quote for the novel as a whole. Why do you think the author chose this inscription? What commentary is she making?
Be sure to use specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
The settings used in My Antonia almost serve as characters in the novel. Select three of the settings in the novel and:
1) discuss the impact of the setting on the plot development
2) discuss the impact of the setting on the characters
3) the ways that the narrator personifies the setting
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Select the most sympathetic and least sympathetic characters in the novel. Write an essay:
1) describing why you think each is sympathetic/not sympathetic
2) defend your position using details from the novel
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)