|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jim often meet Lena?
2. Where do Jim and Lena often go together in Lincoln?
3. Who does Cuzak credit with the success of their farm?
4. Where does Tiny open her hotel?
5. What does the phrase "Optima dies...prima fugit" mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events occur when Jim visits Antonia?
2. How does Cleric Gaston interpret Virgil's line "Primus ego in patriam mecum . . . deducam Musas", or, "for I shall be the first, if I live, to bring the Muse into my own country.?"
3. Describe Jim's visit to Black Hawk in this chapter
4. What causes Jim to reinterpret sections of Virgil's Georgics? How does he see a particular passage differently?
5. How does Jim's grandmother react to Jim attending dances at the Fireman's Hall? How does Jim respond?
6. How does Jim mark his transition to manhood in this chapter?
7. What event occurs as Jim stays at the Cutters' home?
8. Why does Jim think it is ironic that Antonia's marriage failed?
9. What does Jim see on the wall of the photographer's studio? How does this affect him?
10. How does the Polish violin teacher attempt to determine Jim's intentions with Lena? How does he react to Jim's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
My Antonia is divided into four distinct books. Compare and contrast two of the books in this novel. Focus on:
1) the plot development
2) character development
3) themes presented in the book
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes My Antonia explores is the relationship between humans and the land. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
My Antonia takes place over a time span of nearly 50 years. Discuss the impact of time on the plot and characters in the novel. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)