|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jim romanticize at the end of the novel?
2. Who does JIm befriend while staying in Lincoln?
3. Why does Jim stop attending the dances at the Fireman's Hall?
4. Why does Gaston Cleric suggest that Jim accompany him to Harvard?
5. Why is Jim disappointed when he visits Black Hawk?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Polish violin teacher attempt to determine Jim's intentions with Lena? How does he react to Jim's response?
2. What does Jim see on the wall of the photographer's studio? How does this affect him?
3. Describe Antonia's preparations for marriage.
4. Describe the changes in Tiny Soderball's life from the point that Jim last saw her to present
5. How does Jim describe the experience of going to the theatre?
6. Why does Jim think it is ironic that Antonia's marriage failed?
7. How do Mr. and Mrs. Cutter respond to the incident in the Cutters' home between Jim and Wick?
8. Describe Larry Donovan from Jim's perspective.
9. How does Jim react to Antonia when he comes to visit her after many years?
10. What is symbolic about Jim and Antonia talking at Mr. Shimerda's grave site?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several characters who influence the person that the narrator becomes. Select the two characters who you believe have the greatest impact on his development and:
1) describe each character's actions or beliefs as they relate to Jim
2) discuss the impact of this character on Jim's life and personality
3) discuss why you selected each particular character. What about each character made him/her more of an influence on Jim than others?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
In the final book of the novel (Book 5) the author abruptly shifts the narrative forward 20 years. In your essay:
1) describe how the last chapter reads differently than the earlier chapters
2) explain why you think the author made this shift
3) react to her choice. Do you think this was the best way to end the novel? Why?
Be sure to use specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Select the most sympathetic and least sympathetic characters in the novel. Write an essay:
1) describing why you think each is sympathetic/not sympathetic
2) defend your position using details from the novel
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)