|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rudolph tell Jim was the source of much conflict between the Cutters?
2. Where does Lena tell Jim that Antonia is now working?
3. How does Jim feel when swimming in the river?
4. What does Antonia tell Jim she believes is her purpose in life?
5. Why does Wick Cutter shoot his wife before killing himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event occurs as Jim stays at the Cutters' home?
2. Describe Cuzak's life story as he tells it to Jim
3. Describe Jim and Antonia's relationship after 20 years have passed
4. What causes Jim to reinterpret sections of Virgil's Georgics? How does he see a particular passage differently?
5. Why does Jim believe he will never be a brilliant scholar?
6. Summarize the story of Antonia and Larry Donovan's failed attempt at marriage (as told by Widow Steavens).
7. How do Mr. and Mrs. Cutter respond to the incident in the Cutters' home between Jim and Wick?
8. What is symbolic about Jim and Antonia talking at Mr. Shimerda's grave site?
9. Describe the changes in Tiny Soderball's life from the point that Jim last saw her to present
10. How does Jim react to Antonia when he comes to visit her after many years?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
My Antonia takes place over a time span of nearly 50 years. Discuss the impact of time on the plot and characters in the novel. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
The influence of men on Antonia's development is a recurring topic in My Antonia. Select two of the following men and discuss the relationship between him and Antonia. Focus your discussion on the ways the the man does or does not influence her development in a positive way. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
3) Mr. Shimerda
4) Larry Donovan
Essay Topic 3
There are several characters who influence the person that the narrator becomes. Select the two characters who you believe have the greatest impact on his development and:
1) describe each character's actions or beliefs as they relate to Jim
2) discuss the impact of this character on Jim's life and personality
3) discuss why you selected each particular character. What about each character made him/her more of an influence on Jim than others?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)