|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jim tell the Polish violin teacher his intentions are with Lena?
2. What does Jim tell Antonia he believes happened to her father's soul?
3. Why does Gaston Cleric suggest that Jim accompany him to Harvard?
4. Who is suspicious of Jim's visits to Lena?
5. What do Jim's grandparents think of the dances Jim attends?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Mr. and Mrs. Cutter respond to the incident in the Cutters' home between Jim and Wick?
2. How does Cleric Gaston interpret Virgil's line "Primus ego in patriam mecum . . . deducam Musas", or, "for I shall be the first, if I live, to bring the Muse into my own country.?"
3. Why does Jim think it is ironic that Antonia's marriage failed?
4. How does the novel come full circle at the end?
5. What does Jim see on the wall of the photographer's studio? How does this affect him?
6. How does Jim react to Antonia when he comes to visit her after many years?
7. Describe Jim's visit to Black Hawk in this chapter
8. How does Jim's grandmother react to Jim attending dances at the Fireman's Hall? How does Jim respond?
9. Describe Cuzak's life story as he tells it to Jim
10. Why does Jim believe he will never be a brilliant scholar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes My Antonia explores is perseverance. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes My Antonia explores is friendship. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
My Antonia is divided into four distinct books. Compare and contrast two of the books in this novel. Focus on:
1) the plot development
2) character development
3) themes presented in the book
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)