|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jim tell the Polish violin teacher his intentions are with Lena?
2. Why is Jim disappointed when he visits Black Hawk?
3. Who does Mrs. Harling tell Jim to ask about Antonia's marriage?
4. What does Antonia tell Jim she believes is her purpose in life?
5. Who proposes to Lena several times?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jim see on the wall of the photographer's studio? How does this affect him?
2. What part of Camille most affects Jim?
3. How does Jim describe the experience of going to the theatre?
4. What event occurs as Jim stays at the Cutters' home?
5. How does the novel come full circle at the end?
6. Describe Wick Cutter.
7. What feelings does Antonia share with Jim as they wait for the others to arrive at the river? How does Jim reassure her?
8. What events occur when Jim visits Antonia?
9. How does dancing with Lena differ from dancing with Antonia in Jim's mind?
10. Describe Larry Donovan from Jim's perspective.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes My Antonia explores is transformation or metamorphosis. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
The influence of men on Antonia's development is a recurring topic in My Antonia. Select two of the following men and discuss the relationship between him and Antonia. Focus your discussion on the ways the the man does or does not influence her development in a positive way. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
3) Mr. Shimerda
4) Larry Donovan
Essay Topic 3
In My Antonia a few minor characters have a major impact on the story line. Select one of the following minor characters to analyze: Wick Cutter, Otto Fuchs, Tiny Soderball, Ambrosch Shimerda. Discuss:
1) The personality (character traits) of this character
2) The relationship between this minor character and the major characters in the story
3) The impact of this character on the story line--How does s/he influence the overall story line? How would the story be different if this character was removed?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)