|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What keeps Jim from visiting Antonia?
2. What character in "Camille" does Jim consider most sympathetic?
3. What does Jim vow to Antonia before he leaves the farm?
4. What play entrances and enthralls Jim?
5. Where do Antonia and Jim walk to during his visit to the Shimerda farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolic about Jim and Antonia talking at Mr. Shimerda's grave site?
2. Summarize the story Rudolph tells about the Cutters.
3. Why does Jim think it is ironic that Antonia's marriage failed?
4. How does dancing with Lena differ from dancing with Antonia in Jim's mind?
5. What part of Camille most affects Jim?
6. Who proposes to Lena? How does she respond?
7. What event occurs as Jim stays at the Cutters' home?
8. What events occur when Jim visits Antonia?
9. How does Jim react to Antonia when he comes to visit her after many years?
10. Describe Larry Donovan from Jim's perspective.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes My Antonia explores is family. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
In the inscription for My Antonia Willa Cather quotes Virgil (Optima dies . . . prima fugit," or the best days are the first to flee). Discuss the significance of this quote for the novel as a whole. Why do you think the author chose this inscription? What commentary is she making?
Be sure to use specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
One of the topics My Antonia explores is the role and impact of community on the individual. Discuss what the novel has to say about this topic. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)