|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jim go on his only break during the summer?
2. How does Jim characterize the woman who plays the character, Marguerite?
3. To whom is Wick Cutter particularly nice?
4. Why is Jim disappointed when he visits Black Hawk?
5. What upsetting news does Antonia learn in a letter from Larry Donovan prior to their marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jim think it is ironic that Antonia's marriage failed?
2. What causes Jim to reinterpret sections of Virgil's Georgics? How does he see a particular passage differently?
3. How does the novel come full circle at the end?
4. Describe Gaston Cleric
5. Describe Jim and Antonia's relationship after 20 years have passed
6. How does Jim react to Antonia when he comes to visit her after many years?
7. What does Jim see on the wall of the photographer's studio? How does this affect him?
8. What does Jim tell the group of girls to convince them that Spaniards settled in Nebraska?
9. Describe Larry Donovan from Jim's perspective.
10. How does the Polish violin teacher attempt to determine Jim's intentions with Lena? How does he react to Jim's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The settings used in My Antonia almost serve as characters in the novel. Select three of the settings in the novel and:
1) discuss the impact of the setting on the plot development
2) discuss the impact of the setting on the characters
3) the ways that the narrator personifies the setting
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes My Antonia explores is the relationship between humans and the land. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
In the inscription for My Antonia Willa Cather quotes Virgil (Optima dies . . . prima fugit," or the best days are the first to flee). Discuss the significance of this quote for the novel as a whole. Why do you think the author chose this inscription? What commentary is she making?
Be sure to use specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)