|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jim go on his only break during the summer?
2. How does Larry Donovan's manner change when he is with women?
3. What upsetting news does Antonia learn in a letter from Larry Donovan prior to their marriage?
4. Who does Tiny convince to move to San Francisco with her?
5. What play entrances and enthralls Jim?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jim tell the group of girls to convince them that Spaniards settled in Nebraska?
2. How does the Polish violin teacher attempt to determine Jim's intentions with Lena? How does he react to Jim's response?
3. What events occur when Jim visits Antonia?
4. How does Jim mark his transition to manhood in this chapter?
5. What causes Jim to reinterpret sections of Virgil's Georgics? How does he see a particular passage differently?
6. Summarize the story Rudolph tells about the Cutters.
7. How does Jim react to Antonia when he comes to visit her after many years?
8. Who proposes to Lena? How does she respond?
9. How does Cleric Gaston interpret Virgil's line "Primus ego in patriam mecum . . . deducam Musas", or, "for I shall be the first, if I live, to bring the Muse into my own country.?"
10. What is symbolic about Jim and Antonia talking at Mr. Shimerda's grave site?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes My Antonia explores is family. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
The role that the land plays in the lives of the characters in this novel is integral to its plot and themes. Pick two of the novel's characters and compare and contrast:
1) their relationship with the land
2) how the relationship develops
3) how they chose to demonstrate feelings about the land.
Be sure to use specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
The influence of men on Antonia's development is a recurring topic in My Antonia. Select two of the following men and discuss the relationship between him and Antonia. Focus your discussion on the ways the the man does or does not influence her development in a positive way. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
3) Mr. Shimerda
4) Larry Donovan
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)