|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What warning does Mrs. Steavens give Ambrosch?
2. To whom is Wick Cutter particularly nice?
3. Where does Jim go on his only break during the summer?
4. Where does Cuzak take his son when they are in the city?
5. Why has Gaston Cleric been sent West?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Wick Cutter.
2. What does Jim see on the wall of the photographer's studio? How does this affect him?
3. Describe the changes in Tiny Soderball's life from the point that Jim last saw her to present
4. Why does Jim believe he will never be a brilliant scholar?
5. Describe Antonia's preparations for marriage.
6. Describe Cuzak's life story as he tells it to Jim
7. What is symbolic about Jim and Antonia talking at Mr. Shimerda's grave site?
8. What event occurs as Jim stays at the Cutters' home?
9. Describe Jim's visit to Black Hawk in this chapter
10. How does the Polish violin teacher attempt to determine Jim's intentions with Lena? How does he react to Jim's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the topics My Antonia explores is the role and impact of community on the individual. Discuss what the novel has to say about this topic. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes My Antonia explores is transformation or metamorphosis. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
My Antonia is divided into four distinct books. Compare and contrast two of the books in this novel. Focus on:
1) the plot development
2) character development
3) themes presented in the book
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)