|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What became of Antonia's marriage to Larry Donovan?
2. Which of the following is not something Jim notices about Antonia when he goes to visit her in this chapter?
3. Which of the girls arrives at the river first?
4. What does Rudolph tell Jim was the source of much conflict between the Cutters?
5. What character in "Camille" does Jim consider most sympathetic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Antonia's preparations for marriage.
2. What event occurs as Jim stays at the Cutters' home?
3. How do Mr. and Mrs. Cutter respond to the incident in the Cutters' home between Jim and Wick?
4. Summarize the story Rudolph tells about the Cutters.
5. Describe Cuzak's life story as he tells it to Jim
6. Why does Jim believe he will never be a brilliant scholar?
7. How does Jim mark his transition to manhood in this chapter?
8. Why does Jim think it is ironic that Antonia's marriage failed?
9. Describe Jim and Antonia's relationship after 20 years have passed
10. Describe Larry Donovan from Jim's perspective.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
My Antonia takes place over a time span of nearly 50 years. Discuss the impact of time on the plot and characters in the novel. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes My Antonia explores is friendship. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
In the inscription for My Antonia Willa Cather quotes Virgil (Optima dies . . . prima fugit," or the best days are the first to flee). Discuss the significance of this quote for the novel as a whole. Why do you think the author chose this inscription? What commentary is she making?
Be sure to use specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)