|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname is Antonia given?
2. Why does Jim come to live with his grandparents in the first chapter of the book?
3. What impact do the dances in Black Hawk have on the townspeople?
4. How does Jim's grandfather mend relations between the Shimerdas and the Burdens?
5. How did Blind d'Arnault's mother react to his blindness?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jim's experiences when he is housebound due to illness
2. What change occurs in Black Hawk in the Spring? How does this affect the people living there?
3. Describe Peter and Pavel
4. How does Mrs. Shimerda act when she and Antonia visit the Burdens after the thaw? How does Jim respond to her?
5. Retell the story about Lena being responsible for Antonia's feelings about the girl.
6. What is a rattlesnake cane? What is its importance for the Burdens?
7. Describe Blind d'Arnault and his journey to become a pianist
8. Describe the gifts that Jim and his grandparents give to the Shimerdas for Christmas.
9. Describe Tiny Soderball's work and living environment
10. How does Antonia predict the winter will affect her family differently than Jim's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
My Antonia is primarily a first person narrative written from the point of view of Jim. Discuss how this fact influences the story. What biases does Jim bring to the story? How would the novel be different if another character was telling the story? Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
In the final book of the novel (Book 5) the author abruptly shifts the narrative forward 20 years. In your essay:
1) describe how the last chapter reads differently than the earlier chapters
2) explain why you think the author made this shift
3) react to her choice. Do you think this was the best way to end the novel? Why?
Be sure to use specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes My Antonia explores is family. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)