|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Antonia confides to Jim that her father is _______________
2. What impact do the dances in Black Hawk have on the townspeople?
3. Which of the following is not a quality that Jim believes the town girls possess?
4. Which of the Harling children is Antonia's favorite?
5. What is Blind d'Arnault's talent?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Antonia predict the winter will affect her family differently than Jim's?
2. Describe Jim's experiences when he is housebound due to illness
3. Describe Tiny Soderball's work and living environment
4. What is significant about January 22 in this novel?
5. Describe the relationship between the Shimerdas and Krajiek
6. What change occurs in Black Hawk in the Spring? How does this affect the people living there?
7. Does Antonia attend school? Why or why not?
8. How is Jim like the Shimerdas as they both travel to Nebraska?
9. What confession does Pavel make to Mr. Shimerda on his death bed?
10. Describe Blind d'Arnault and his journey to become a pianist
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the final book of the novel (Book 5) the author abruptly shifts the narrative forward 20 years. In your essay:
1) describe how the last chapter reads differently than the earlier chapters
2) explain why you think the author made this shift
3) react to her choice. Do you think this was the best way to end the novel? Why?
Be sure to use specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes My Antonia explores is the relationship between humans and the land. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
The title of the novel, My Antonia, takes on several layers of meaning as the story develops. Discuss the significance of the title. Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)