Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Otto's fellow travelers suspicious of him when he escorts an immigrant woman to the U.S. to meet her husband?
2. What does Tiny often share with Lena?
3. What one item must all of the Shimerdas share during the winter?
4. Which of the following is not a regular occurrence in the evenings at the Harling house?
5. Which of the Shimerdas did not want to immigrate to the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the gifts that Jim and his grandparents give to the Shimerdas for Christmas.
2. How does Jim's grandmother react to Jim attending dances at the Fireman's Hall? How does Jim respond?
3. Summarize the story Rudolph tells about the Cutters.
4. What part of Camille most affects Jim?
5. How does the Hardings' household change when Mr. Harling comes home from work?
6. What reaction do the Harlings have to Antonia's interest in the dances in the tent?
7. What does Jim tell the group of girls to convince them that Spaniards settled in Nebraska?
8. Why do Jake and Ambrosch come to blows in Chapter 18?
9. What is symbolic about Jim and Antonia talking at Mr. Shimerda's grave site?
10. Why does Jim believe he will never be a brilliant scholar?
One of the themes My Antonia explores is transformation or metamorphosis. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
The role that the land plays in the lives of the characters in this novel is integral to its plot and themes. Pick two of the novel's characters and compare and contrast:
1) their relationship with the land
2) how the relationship develops
3) how they chose to demonstrate feelings about the land.
Be sure to use specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
The influence of men on Antonia's development is a recurring topic in My Antonia. Select two of the following men and discuss the relationship between him and Antonia. Focus your discussion on the ways the the man does or does not influence her development in a positive way. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
3) Mr. Shimerda
4) Larry Donovan
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)