|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Antonia differ from her brother Ambrosch?
2. Why does Jake have to pay a fine?
3. What does Jim tell the narrator of the introduction?
4. Where does Antonia consider going to work when the Harlings forbid her to attend the dances?
5. To whom does Pavel confess his unpleasant past in Russia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast the town and city girls (from Jim's point of view).
2. What change in Jim's life occurs in the first chapter of Book 2? How does it affect him?
3. Why do the Shimerdas have difficulty getting Mr. Shimerda buried? Where is he ultimately interred?
4. How does Antonia predict the winter will affect her family differently than Jim's?
5. How does Mrs. Shimerda act when she and Antonia visit the Burdens after the thaw? How does Jim respond to her?
6. Does Antonia attend school? Why or why not?
7. How do the Shimerdas react when the Burdens bring them supplies during the cold winter?
8. What is significant about January 22 in this novel?
9. Describe the Harlings.
10. Describe the gifts that Jim and his grandparents give to the Shimerdas for Christmas.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of the novel, My Antonia, takes on several layers of meaning as the story develops. Discuss the significance of the title. Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes My Antonia explores is family. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
My Antonia takes place over a time span of nearly 50 years. Discuss the impact of time on the plot and characters in the novel. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)