|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the Shimerdas remain involved with Krajiek?
2. Who does Antonia tell that Jim tried to kill Lena back in Bohemia?
3. Who entertains Jim when he is forced to stay indoors because of illness?
4. How do the narrator and Jim become acquainted?
5. Which of the Shimerdas did not want to immigrate to the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jim's encounter with the rattlesnake as he and Antonia return from Russian Peter's
2. Describe the gifts that Jim and his grandparents give to the Shimerdas for Christmas.
3. Describe the relationship between the Shimerdas and Krajiek
4. Compare and contrast the town and city girls (from Jim's point of view).
5. What does Mr. Shimerda do in the Burdens' home on Christmas that surprises them? Why are they surprised by his action?
6. Describe Jim's first impressions of the Nebraska landscape. Why do you think he responds in this way?
7. How do the Shimerdas react when the Burdens bring them supplies during the cold winter?
8. Does Antonia attend school? Why or why not?
9. What confession does Pavel make to Mr. Shimerda on his death bed?
10. How does the Hardings' household change when Mr. Harling comes home from work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes My Antonia explores is family. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes My Antonia explores is the relationship between humans and the land. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
The role that the land plays in the lives of the characters in this novel is integral to its plot and themes. Pick two of the novel's characters and compare and contrast:
1) their relationship with the land
2) how the relationship develops
3) how they chose to demonstrate feelings about the land.
Be sure to use specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)