|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Harling disapprove of Tiny Soderball?
2. Who does Antonia tell that Jim tried to kill Lena back in Bohemia?
3. Which of the Harling children helps his/her father with the family business?
4. Antonia confides to Jim that her father is _______________
5. Who does Jim's grandfather believe killed Mr. Shimerda?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about January 22 in this novel?
2. Describe the gifts that Jim and his grandparents give to the Shimerdas for Christmas.
3. What reaction do the Harlings have to Antonia's interest in the dances in the tent?
4. Does Antonia attend school? Why or why not?
5. Describe Peter and Pavel
6. Compare and contrast the town and city girls (from Jim's point of view).
7. Why do the Shimerdas have difficulty getting Mr. Shimerda buried? Where is he ultimately interred?
8. What is a rattlesnake cane? What is its importance for the Burdens?
9. How does Mrs. Shimerda act when she and Antonia visit the Burdens after the thaw? How does Jim respond to her?
10. Describe the Harlings.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the topics My Antonia explores is the role and impact of community on the individual. Discuss what the novel has to say about this topic. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
The influence of men on Antonia's development is a recurring topic in My Antonia. Select two of the following men and discuss the relationship between him and Antonia. Focus your discussion on the ways the the man does or does not influence her development in a positive way. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
3) Mr. Shimerda
4) Larry Donovan
Essay Topic 3
There are several characters who influence the person that the narrator becomes. Select the two characters who you believe have the greatest impact on his development and:
1) describe each character's actions or beliefs as they relate to Jim
2) discuss the impact of this character on Jim's life and personality
3) discuss why you selected each particular character. What about each character made him/her more of an influence on Jim than others?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)