|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Antonia tell that Jim tried to kill Lena back in Bohemia?
2. How do the narrator and Jim become acquainted?
3. Which of the following does Grandmother Burden not teach Antonia?
4. What does Jake find under the manger in the barn where Mr. Shimerda's body is found?
5. Why does Jim come to live with his grandparents in the first chapter of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Antonia attend school? Why or why not?
2. Describe Jim's experiences when he is housebound due to illness
3. How does Mrs. Shimerda act when she and Antonia visit the Burdens after the thaw? How does Jim respond to her?
4. Describe the gifts that Jim and his grandparents give to the Shimerdas for Christmas.
5. Describe Jim's first impressions of the Nebraska landscape. Why do you think he responds in this way?
6. Retell the story about Lena being responsible for Antonia's feelings about the girl.
7. Describe the relationship between the Shimerdas and Krajiek
8. Why do the Shimerdas have difficulty getting Mr. Shimerda buried? Where is he ultimately interred?
9. Describe Tiny Soderball's work and living environment
10. Describe Jim's encounter with the rattlesnake as he and Antonia return from Russian Peter's
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
My Antonia is divided into four distinct books. Compare and contrast two of the books in this novel. Focus on:
1) the plot development
2) character development
3) themes presented in the book
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
The influence of men on Antonia's development is a recurring topic in My Antonia. Select two of the following men and discuss the relationship between him and Antonia. Focus your discussion on the ways the the man does or does not influence her development in a positive way. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
3) Mr. Shimerda
4) Larry Donovan
Essay Topic 3
Select the most sympathetic and least sympathetic characters in the novel. Write an essay:
1) describing why you think each is sympathetic/not sympathetic
2) defend your position using details from the novel
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)