Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Otto's fellow travelers suspicious of him when he escorts an immigrant woman to the U.S. to meet her husband?
2. What does Tiny often share with Lena?
3. What one item must all of the Shimerdas share during the winter?
4. Which of the following is not a regular occurrence in the evenings at the Harling house?
5. Which of the Shimerdas did not want to immigrate to the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the gifts that Jim and his grandparents give to the Shimerdas for Christmas.
2. How does Jim's grandmother react to Jim attending dances at the Fireman's Hall? How does Jim respond?
3. Summarize the story Rudolph tells about the Cutters.
4. What part of Camille most affects Jim?
5. How does the Hardings' household change when Mr. Harling comes home from work?
6. What reaction do the Harlings have to Antonia's interest in the dances in the tent?
7. What does Jim tell the group of girls to convince them that Spaniards settled in Nebraska?
8. Why do Jake and Ambrosch come to blows in Chapter 18?
9. What is symbolic about Jim and Antonia talking at Mr. Shimerda's grave site?
10. Why does Jim believe he will never be a brilliant scholar?
Essay Topic 1
In My Antonia a few minor characters have a major impact on the story line. Select one of the following minor characters to analyze: Wick Cutter, Otto Fuchs, Tiny Soderball, Ambrosch Shimerda. Discuss:
1) The personality (character traits) of this character
2) The relationship between this minor character and the major characters in the story
3) The impact of this character on the story line--How does s/he influence the overall story line? How would the story be different if this character was removed?
Essay Topic 2
My Antonia takes place over a time span of nearly 50 years. Discuss the impact of time on the plot and characters in the novel. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
My Antonia is divided into four distinct books. Compare and contrast two of the books in this novel. Focus on:
1) the plot development
2) character development
3) themes presented in the book
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)