|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Blind d'Arnault's mother react to his blindness?
2. To whom does Pavel confess his unpleasant past in Russia?
3. Why do the three Marys often have to leave town?
4. Why does Jake have to pay a fine?
5. Where do Otto and Jake go when the Burdens sell their farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Harlings.
2. Why do the Shimerdas have difficulty getting Mr. Shimerda buried? Where is he ultimately interred?
3. How does Mrs. Shimerda act when she and Antonia visit the Burdens after the thaw? How does Jim respond to her?
4. Retell the story about Lena being responsible for Antonia's feelings about the girl.
5. How do the Shimerdas react when the Burdens bring them supplies during the cold winter?
6. Describe Jim's encounter with the rattlesnake as he and Antonia return from Russian Peter's
7. How does Antonia predict the winter will affect her family differently than Jim's?
8. Describe the relationship between the Shimerdas and Krajiek
9. How is Jim like the Shimerdas as they both travel to Nebraska?
10. Compare and contrast the town and city girls (from Jim's point of view).
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes My Antonia explores is family. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
The role that the land plays in the lives of the characters in this novel is integral to its plot and themes. Pick two of the novel's characters and compare and contrast:
1) their relationship with the land
2) how the relationship develops
3) how they chose to demonstrate feelings about the land.
Be sure to use specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes My Antonia explores is the relationship between humans and the land. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)