|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Antonia consider going to work when the Harlings forbid her to attend the dances?
2. Why do Antonia and Jim travel to Russian Peter's in Chapter 7?
3. Where do Otto and Jake go when the Burdens sell their farm?
4. Who is suspected of killing Mr. Shimerda?
5. What does Mr. Shimerda ask Jim's grandmother to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who proposes to Lena? How does she respond?
2. What is symbolic about Jim and Antonia talking at Mr. Shimerda's grave site?
3. How does Antonia predict the winter will affect her family differently than Jim's?
4. Why do Jake and Ambrosch come to blows in Chapter 18?
5. Retell the story about Lena being responsible for Antonia's feelings about the girl.
6. How does Jim mark his transition to manhood in this chapter?
7. Describe Tiny Soderball's work and living environment
8. Describe the Harlings.
9. How does Jim's grandmother react to Jim attending dances at the Fireman's Hall? How does Jim respond?
10. What feelings does Antonia share with Jim as they wait for the others to arrive at the river? How does Jim reassure her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of the novel, My Antonia, takes on several layers of meaning as the story develops. Discuss the significance of the title. Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
My Antonia takes place over a time span of nearly 50 years. Discuss the impact of time on the plot and characters in the novel. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
In the inscription for My Antonia Willa Cather quotes Virgil (Optima dies . . . prima fugit," or the best days are the first to flee). Discuss the significance of this quote for the novel as a whole. Why do you think the author chose this inscription? What commentary is she making?
Be sure to use specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,835 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)