|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who teaches Yulka to read English?
2. What possession does Russian Peter value over all others?
3. To whom are Pavel and Peter indebted?
4. How does Lena feel when her brother leaves Black Hawk after a visit?
5. What is Anton Jelinek's connection with the Shimerda family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Shimerdas have difficulty getting Mr. Shimerda buried? Where is he ultimately interred?
2. Describe Jim's experiences when he is housebound due to illness
3. How does Mrs. Shimerda act when she and Antonia visit the Burdens after the thaw? How does Jim respond to her?
4. How is Jim like the Shimerdas as they both travel to Nebraska?
5. Describe the Shimerda family (as they are introduced in Chapter 3)
6. What change occurs in Black Hawk in the Spring? How does this affect the people living there?
7. How does Antonia predict the winter will affect her family differently than Jim's?
8. Retell the story about Lena being responsible for Antonia's feelings about the girl.
9. Describe Jim's first impressions of the Nebraska landscape. Why do you think he responds in this way?
10. Describe Blind d'Arnault and his journey to become a pianist
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
My Antonia is divided into four distinct books. Compare and contrast two of the books in this novel. Focus on:
1) the plot development
2) character development
3) themes presented in the book
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
In the final book of the novel (Book 5) the author abruptly shifts the narrative forward 20 years. In your essay:
1) describe how the last chapter reads differently than the earlier chapters
2) explain why you think the author made this shift
3) react to her choice. Do you think this was the best way to end the novel? Why?
Be sure to use specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes My Antonia explores is family. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)