|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a quality that Jim believes the town girls possess?
2. What one item must all of the Shimerdas share during the winter?
3. What becomes of Peter when Pavel passes away?
4. Which of the Shimerdas did not want to immigrate to the United States?
5. Who sponsors the dance tent in Black Hawk?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Shimerda ask Jim's grandfather to say a prayer during her husband's funeral?
2. Retell the story Antonia shares with Jim and the Harlings about the tramp and the thresher
3. Why do Jake and Ambrosch come to blows in Chapter 18?
4. How does Mrs. Shimerda act when she and Antonia visit the Burdens after the thaw? How does Jim respond to her?
5. What change in Jim's life occurs in the first chapter of Book 2? How does it affect him?
6. What does Mr. Shimerda do in the Burdens' home on Christmas that surprises them? Why are they surprised by his action?
7. What change occurs in Black Hawk in the Spring? How does this affect the people living there?
8. Describe the relationship between the Shimerdas and Krajiek
9. Describe the Shimerda family (as they are introduced in Chapter 3)
10. Describe the gifts that Jim and his grandparents give to the Shimerdas for Christmas.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
My Antonia takes place over a time span of nearly 50 years. Discuss the impact of time on the plot and characters in the novel. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes My Antonia explores is the relationship between humans and the land. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
There are several characters who influence the person that the narrator becomes. Select the two characters who you believe have the greatest impact on his development and:
1) describe each character's actions or beliefs as they relate to Jim
2) discuss the impact of this character on Jim's life and personality
3) discuss why you selected each particular character. What about each character made him/her more of an influence on Jim than others?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)