Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Otto's fellow travelers suspicious of him when he escorts an immigrant woman to the U.S. to meet her husband?
2. What does Tiny often share with Lena?
3. What one item must all of the Shimerdas share during the winter?
4. Which of the following is not a regular occurrence in the evenings at the Harling house?
5. Which of the Shimerdas did not want to immigrate to the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the gifts that Jim and his grandparents give to the Shimerdas for Christmas.
2. How does Jim's grandmother react to Jim attending dances at the Fireman's Hall? How does Jim respond?
3. Summarize the story Rudolph tells about the Cutters.
4. What part of Camille most affects Jim?
5. How does the Hardings' household change when Mr. Harling comes home from work?
6. What reaction do the Harlings have to Antonia's interest in the dances in the tent?
7. What does Jim tell the group of girls to convince them that Spaniards settled in Nebraska?
8. Why do Jake and Ambrosch come to blows in Chapter 18?
9. What is symbolic about Jim and Antonia talking at Mr. Shimerda's grave site?
10. Why does Jim believe he will never be a brilliant scholar?
Essay Topic 1
The title of the novel, My Antonia, takes on several layers of meaning as the story develops. Discuss the significance of the title. Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes My Antonia explores is friendship. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
In the final book of the novel (Book 5) the author abruptly shifts the narrative forward 20 years. In your essay:
1) describe how the last chapter reads differently than the earlier chapters
2) explain why you think the author made this shift
3) react to her choice. Do you think this was the best way to end the novel? Why?
Be sure to use specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)