|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Otto's fellow travelers suspicious of him when he escorts an immigrant woman to the U.S. to meet her husband?
2. What does Tiny often share with Lena?
3. What one item must all of the Shimerdas share during the winter?
4. Which of the following is not a regular occurrence in the evenings at the Harling house?
5. Which of the Shimerdas did not want to immigrate to the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the gifts that Jim and his grandparents give to the Shimerdas for Christmas.
2. How does Jim's grandmother react to Jim attending dances at the Fireman's Hall? How does Jim respond?
3. Summarize the story Rudolph tells about the Cutters.
4. What part of Camille most affects Jim?
5. How does the Hardings' household change when Mr. Harling comes home from work?
6. What reaction do the Harlings have to Antonia's interest in the dances in the tent?
7. What does Jim tell the group of girls to convince them that Spaniards settled in Nebraska?
8. Why do Jake and Ambrosch come to blows in Chapter 18?
9. What is symbolic about Jim and Antonia talking at Mr. Shimerda's grave site?
10. Why does Jim believe he will never be a brilliant scholar?
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes My Antonia explores is perseverance. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
The settings used in My Antonia almost serve as characters in the novel. Select three of the settings in the novel and:
1) discuss the impact of the setting on the plot development
2) discuss the impact of the setting on the characters
3) the ways that the narrator personifies the setting
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes My Antonia explores is friendship. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,749 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)