|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event is responsible for the lightened tone at the hotel?
2. Who does Jim's grandfather believe killed Mr. Shimerda?
3. Why do Antonia and Jim travel to Russian Peter's in Chapter 7?
4. What does Jim tell the narrator of the introduction?
5. Why does Lena Lingard's presence at the Harlings' home make Antonia uncomfortable?
Short Essay Questions
1. What change in Jim's life occurs in the first chapter of Book 2? How does it affect him?
2. What change occurs in Black Hawk in the Spring? How does this affect the people living there?
3. Describe the relationship between the Shimerdas and Krajiek
4. How does Mrs. Shimerda act when she and Antonia visit the Burdens after the thaw? How does Jim respond to her?
5. What does Mr. Shimerda do in the Burdens' home on Christmas that surprises them? Why are they surprised by his action?
6. Why do the Shimerdas have difficulty getting Mr. Shimerda buried? Where is he ultimately interred?
7. How is Jim like the Shimerdas as they both travel to Nebraska?
8. Describe the gifts that Jim and his grandparents give to the Shimerdas for Christmas.
9. What reaction do the Harlings have to Antonia's interest in the dances in the tent?
10. Does Antonia attend school? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the topics My Antonia explores is the role and impact of community on the individual. Discuss what the novel has to say about this topic. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Select the most sympathetic and least sympathetic characters in the novel. Write an essay:
1) describing why you think each is sympathetic/not sympathetic
2) defend your position using details from the novel
Essay Topic 3
In My Antonia a few minor characters have a major impact on the story line. Select one of the following minor characters to analyze: Wick Cutter, Otto Fuchs, Tiny Soderball, Ambrosch Shimerda. Discuss:
1) The personality (character traits) of this character
2) The relationship between this minor character and the major characters in the story
3) The impact of this character on the story line--How does s/he influence the overall story line? How would the story be different if this character was removed?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)