Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jim often run into when he is in downtown Black Hawk?
2. Why do the three Marys often have to leave town?
3. Why do Jim and his grandparents make Christmas presents for the Shimerdas instead of purchasing them?
4. What rumor about Pavel circulates in the community?
5. What do Jim and Jake go to pick up from Ambrosch in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. Retell the story Antonia shares with Jim and the Harlings about the tramp and the thresher
2. Who proposes to Lena? How does she respond?
3. What part of Camille most affects Jim?
4. What is significant about January 22 in this novel?
5. How does Jim react to Antonia when he comes to visit her after many years?
6. How does Cleric Gaston interpret Virgil's line "Primus ego in patriam mecum . . . deducam Musas", or, "for I shall be the first, if I live, to bring the Muse into my own country.?"
7. How does the Polish violin teacher attempt to determine Jim's intentions with Lena? How does he react to Jim's response?
8. Describe Jim and Antonia's relationship after 20 years have passed
9. How do the Shimerdas react when the Burdens bring them supplies during the cold winter?
10. Describe the gifts that Jim and his grandparents give to the Shimerdas for Christmas.
One of the themes My Antonia explores is the relationship between humans and the land. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
The role that the land plays in the lives of the characters in this novel is integral to its plot and themes. Pick two of the novel's characters and compare and contrast:
1) their relationship with the land
2) how the relationship develops
3) how they chose to demonstrate feelings about the land.
Be sure to use specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
The Shimerda family is complex. Discuss:
1) the personalities of each of the characters
2) the ways that they influence each other
3) the impact of the collective family on the story line.
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)