|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the Shimerda children is considered most important by his parents?
2. Where in Black Hawk is Antonia hired to work?
3. What event is responsible for the lightened tone at the hotel?
4. Which of the following is not a quality that Jim believes the country girls possess?
5. Who is suspected of killing Mr. Shimerda?
Short Essay Questions
1. What confession does Pavel make to Mr. Shimerda on his death bed?
2. Describe Jim's first impressions of the Nebraska landscape. Why do you think he responds in this way?
3. What change occurs in Black Hawk in the Spring? How does this affect the people living there?
4. Why do Jake and Ambrosch come to blows in Chapter 18?
5. Why do the Shimerdas have difficulty getting Mr. Shimerda buried? Where is he ultimately interred?
6. What is a rattlesnake cane? What is its importance for the Burdens?
7. How does Mrs. Shimerda act when she and Antonia visit the Burdens after the thaw? How does Jim respond to her?
8. What reaction do the Harlings have to Antonia's interest in the dances in the tent?
9. Describe Blind d'Arnault and his journey to become a pianist
10. What is significant about January 22 in this novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes My Antonia explores is transformation or metamorphosis. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
In My Antonia a few minor characters have a major impact on the story line. Select one of the following minor characters to analyze: Wick Cutter, Otto Fuchs, Tiny Soderball, Ambrosch Shimerda. Discuss:
1) The personality (character traits) of this character
2) The relationship between this minor character and the major characters in the story
3) The impact of this character on the story line--How does s/he influence the overall story line? How would the story be different if this character was removed?
Essay Topic 3
The Shimerda family is complex. Discuss:
1) the personalities of each of the characters
2) the ways that they influence each other
3) the impact of the collective family on the story line.
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)