|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What first strikes Jim about the location of his grandparents' home?
2. What does Tiny often share with Lena?
3. Which of the Shimerda children is considered most important by his parents?
4. How did Blind d'Arnault's mother react to his blindness?
5. Who sold the Shimerda family their home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jim believe he will never be a brilliant scholar?
2. What does Jim tell the group of girls to convince them that Spaniards settled in Nebraska?
3. Describe Jim's encounter with the rattlesnake as he and Antonia return from Russian Peter's
4. Summarize the story of Antonia and Larry Donovan's failed attempt at marriage (as told by Widow Steavens).
5. What is significant about January 22 in this novel?
6. Describe Jim and Antonia's relationship after 20 years have passed
7. What event occurs as Jim stays at the Cutters' home?
8. Describe Wick Cutter.
9. Describe Antonia's relationship with her father
10. Why do Jake and Ambrosch come to blows in Chapter 18?
Essay Topic 1
The Shimerda family is complex. Discuss:
1) the personalities of each of the characters
2) the ways that they influence each other
3) the impact of the collective family on the story line.
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
My Antonia is primarily a first person narrative written from the point of view of Jim. Discuss how this fact influences the story. What biases does Jim bring to the story? How would the novel be different if another character was telling the story? Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
In the inscription for My Antonia Willa Cather quotes Virgil (Optima dies . . . prima fugit," or the best days are the first to flee). Discuss the significance of this quote for the novel as a whole. Why do you think the author chose this inscription? What commentary is she making?
Be sure to use specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,781 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)