|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rumor about Pavel circulates in the community?
2. How has Mr. Harling made his money?
3. What reputation does the Boys' Home Hotel have?
4. Why does Lena Lingard's presence at the Harlings' home make Antonia uncomfortable?
5. What impact do the dances in Black Hawk have on the townspeople?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Shimerdas have difficulty getting Mr. Shimerda buried? Where is he ultimately interred?
2. Describe Jim's experiences when he is housebound due to illness
3. Describe Jim's first impressions of the Nebraska landscape. Why do you think he responds in this way?
4. Describe Peter and Pavel
5. Does Antonia attend school? Why or why not?
6. Why does Mrs. Shimerda ask Jim's grandfather to say a prayer during her husband's funeral?
7. Retell the story about Lena being responsible for Antonia's feelings about the girl.
8. Describe Tiny Soderball's work and living environment
9. Describe the gifts that Jim and his grandparents give to the Shimerdas for Christmas.
10. How do the Shimerdas react when the Burdens bring them supplies during the cold winter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the inscription for My Antonia Willa Cather quotes Virgil (Optima dies . . . prima fugit," or the best days are the first to flee). Discuss the significance of this quote for the novel as a whole. Why do you think the author chose this inscription? What commentary is she making?
Be sure to use specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
There are several characters who influence the person that the narrator becomes. Select the two characters who you believe have the greatest impact on his development and:
1) describe each character's actions or beliefs as they relate to Jim
2) discuss the impact of this character on Jim's life and personality
3) discuss why you selected each particular character. What about each character made him/her more of an influence on Jim than others?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
My Antonia takes place over a time span of nearly 50 years. Discuss the impact of time on the plot and characters in the novel. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)