|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What impact do the dances in Black Hawk have on the townspeople?
2. Which of the Harling children is Antonia's favorite?
3. How does Antonia show her affection for Charley?
4. What is Anton Jelinek's connection with the Shimerda family?
5. Who performs Mr. Shimerda's funeral service?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Shimerda do in the Burdens' home on Christmas that surprises them? Why are they surprised by his action?
2. Describe Wick Cutter.
3. How does Jim describe the experience of going to the theatre?
4. Summarize the story of Antonia and Larry Donovan's failed attempt at marriage (as told by Widow Steavens).
5. Describe the Shimerda family (as they are introduced in Chapter 3)
6. How does Jim react to Antonia when he comes to visit her after many years?
7. How does the Polish violin teacher attempt to determine Jim's intentions with Lena? How does he react to Jim's response?
8. Describe Jim's experiences when he is housebound due to illness
9. What causes Jim to reinterpret sections of Virgil's Georgics? How does he see a particular passage differently?
10. How does the novel come full circle at the end?
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes My Antonia explores is friendship. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes My Antonia explores is family. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
One of the topics My Antonia explores is the role and impact of community on the individual. Discuss what the novel has to say about this topic. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,773 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)