|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Antonia tell Jim she believes is her purpose in life?
(a) Caring for her daughter
(b) Maintaining her cultural heritage
(c) Keeping her father's spirit alive
(d) Keeping the family farm going
2. Where do Jim and Lena often go together in Lincoln?
(a) To theatre shows
(b) To dinner
(c) On long walks
(d) To Lena's dress shop
3. What has become of Antonia's daughter with Larry Donovan?
(a) She passed away.
(b) She went to live with her father.
(c) She is now married.
(d) She still lives with Antonia and her family.
4. According to Lena, why did Ole Benson marry his wife?
(a) She was the only woman who would marry him.
(b) He believed she was the only woman who could keep him steady.
(c) He wanted to protect her from her own mental illness.
(d) He thought he could cure her of her mental illness.
5. What does Jim find as an unusual trait in Cuzak?
(a) He and Antonia get along very well.
(b) He rarely smiles.
(c) He only speaks Bohemian.
(d) He looks at people sideways.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Antonia eventually marry?
2. How does Jim characterize the woman who plays the character, Marguerite?
3. Which of the girls arrives at the river first?
4. How does Antonia react when Jim kisses her?
5. What warning does Mrs. Steavens give Ambrosch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event occurs as Jim stays at the Cutters' home?
2. Summarize the story of Antonia and Larry Donovan's failed attempt at marriage (as told by Widow Steavens).
3. How does Jim's grandmother react to Jim attending dances at the Fireman's Hall? How does Jim respond?
4. How does Jim describe the experience of going to the theatre?
5. How does dancing with Lena differ from dancing with Antonia in Jim's mind?
6. Describe Cuzak's life story as he tells it to Jim
7. Describe Antonia's preparations for marriage.
8. What does Jim see on the wall of the photographer's studio? How does this affect him?
9. How do Mr. and Mrs. Cutter respond to the incident in the Cutters' home between Jim and Wick?
10. What does Jim tell the group of girls to convince them that Spaniards settled in Nebraska?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)