|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Jim invite on a hunting trip in the Fall?
(c) Two of Antonia's sons
(d) Antonia's grandsons
2. Where does Jim say he feels the most at home?
(a) At Antonia's farm
(b) In Black Hawk
(c) At his grandparents' old farm
(d) In the pastures
3. Where does Jim go after graduating from Harvard?
(c) Black Hawk
(d) New York City
4. According to Mrs. Steavens, why did Antonia come to her home each evening before getting married?
(a) To plan her wedding
(b) To sew for her marriage
(c) To earn extra money
(d) To ask for marital advice
5. How does Gaston Cleric help Jim?
(a) He provides him with an audience for stories about Black Hawk.
(b) He keeps him company.
(c) He teaches him Greek.
(d) He awakens him to new ideas and learning.
Short Answer Questions
1. What becomes Antonia's primary preoccupation once she begins working for the Cutters?
2. Who does Antonia say will always be a part of her life?
3. How does Larry Donovan's manner change when he is with women?
4. What does Ambrosch give Antonia when she leaves to marry Donovan?
5. Where does Jim go on his only break during the summer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jim tell the group of girls to convince them that Spaniards settled in Nebraska?
2. How does the novel come full circle at the end?
3. Why does Jim believe he will never be a brilliant scholar?
4. What causes Jim to reinterpret sections of Virgil's Georgics? How does he see a particular passage differently?
5. Summarize the story Rudolph tells about the Cutters.
6. How does Jim mark his transition to manhood in this chapter?
7. Summarize the story of Antonia and Larry Donovan's failed attempt at marriage (as told by Widow Steavens).
8. What feelings does Antonia share with Jim as they wait for the others to arrive at the river? How does Jim reassure her?
9. What events occur when Jim visits Antonia?
10. How do Mr. and Mrs. Cutter respond to the incident in the Cutters' home between Jim and Wick?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)