|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the basis of the plot in the play "Camille?"
(a) Two lovers who quarrel
(b) Unrequited love
(c) Two lovers who die
(d) Two starcrossed lovers
2. Who does Antonia say will always be a part of her life?
(b) Her father and Jim
(c) Her father
3. What do Antonia and Jim's grandmother discover when they return to the Cutter home to pack up Antonia's belongings?
(a) Wick Cutter's is dead.
(b) The house is in disarray.
(c) Wick Cutter is burning papers.
(d) Antonia's belongings are missing.
4. Who does JIm befriend while staying in Lincoln?
(a) Gaston Cleric
(c) Otto Fuchs
(d) Russian Peter
5. How does Antonia react when Jim kisses her?
(a) She is uncomfortable.
(b) She is confused.
(c) She is delighted.
(d) She becomes angry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the phrase "Optima dies...prima fugit" mean?
2. What does Jim plan on studying after graduating Harvard?
3. Why does Jim say Gaston Cleric "narrowly missed being a great poet?"
4. To whom does Jim dedicate his speech?
5. Where does Jim say he feels the most at home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Mr. and Mrs. Cutter respond to the incident in the Cutters' home between Jim and Wick?
2. Describe Gaston Cleric
3. Why does Jim think it is ironic that Antonia's marriage failed?
4. What causes Jim to reinterpret sections of Virgil's Georgics? How does he see a particular passage differently?
5. How does Cleric Gaston interpret Virgil's line "Primus ego in patriam mecum . . . deducam Musas", or, "for I shall be the first, if I live, to bring the Muse into my own country.?"
6. Describe Larry Donovan from Jim's perspective.
7. What does Jim see on the wall of the photographer's studio? How does this affect him?
8. How does the novel come full circle at the end?
9. What is symbolic about Jim and Antonia talking at Mr. Shimerda's grave site?
10. Describe Jim and Antonia's relationship after 20 years have passed
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)