|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jim say he feels the most at home?
(a) In the pastures
(b) At his grandparents' old farm
(c) At Antonia's farm
(d) In Black Hawk
2. How does Tiny make her fortune?
(a) She inherits it from her parents.
(b) A patron at her hotel deeds his fortune to her.
(c) She marries a rich man.
(d) Her hotel is wildly successful.
3. What does Jim tell Antonia's children about their mother when she was younger?
(a) She was difficult to get along with.
(b) She had a wild spirit.
(c) She was beautiful and well liked.
(d) She was shy and withdrawn.
4. How does Larry Donovan's manner change when he is with women?
(a) He complains about his life choices.
(b) He speaks highly of his wife and child.
(c) He is cool and distant.
(d) He is flirtatious and overly friendly.
5. What does Jim plan on studying after graduating Harvard?
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Wick Cutter particularly nice?
2. Where does Lena tell Jim that Antonia is now working?
3. Where does Jim stay when he is in Lincoln?
4. What does Rudolph tell Jim was the source of much conflict between the Cutters?
5. Why does Jim stop attending the dances at the Fireman's Hall?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does dancing with Lena differ from dancing with Antonia in Jim's mind?
2. Describe Wick Cutter.
3. Summarize the story of Antonia and Larry Donovan's failed attempt at marriage (as told by Widow Steavens).
4. Why does Jim believe he will never be a brilliant scholar?
5. How does Cleric Gaston interpret Virgil's line "Primus ego in patriam mecum . . . deducam Musas", or, "for I shall be the first, if I live, to bring the Muse into my own country.?"
6. How does the novel come full circle at the end?
7. What does Jim tell the group of girls to convince them that Spaniards settled in Nebraska?
8. Why does Jim think it is ironic that Antonia's marriage failed?
9. How does the Polish violin teacher attempt to determine Jim's intentions with Lena? How does he react to Jim's response?
10. What part of Camille most affects Jim?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)