|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom is Wick Cutter particularly nice?
(a) Jim's grandmother
(c) His wife
(d) Mrs. Harling
2. What is occurring on the farms when Jim goes to visit Widow Steavens?
(a) The harvest of the wheat fields
(b) The planting of the wheat fields
(c) The baling of hay
(d) The threshing of the wheat fields
3. What does Jim create for Nina Harling?
(a) A doll
(b) A playhouse
(c) A May basket
(d) A toy
4. What is the connection between Jim and Virgil?
(a) They both speak Greek.
(b) They are both poets.
(c) They both revere small towns.
(d) They both appreciate beautiful women.
5. What does Jim say he and Antonia will always share?
(b) The past
(d) The country
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mrs. Steavens, why did Antonia come to her home each evening before getting married?
2. Where has Jim begun studying law and working?
3. Where does Jim stay when he is in Lincoln?
4. What does Antonia tell Jim she believes is her purpose in life?
5. Who does Jim invite on a hunting trip in the Fall?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jim react to Antonia when he comes to visit her after many years?
2. Why does Jim think it is ironic that Antonia's marriage failed?
3. What causes Jim to reinterpret sections of Virgil's Georgics? How does he see a particular passage differently?
4. How do Mr. and Mrs. Cutter respond to the incident in the Cutters' home between Jim and Wick?
5. How does Cleric Gaston interpret Virgil's line "Primus ego in patriam mecum . . . deducam Musas", or, "for I shall be the first, if I live, to bring the Muse into my own country.?"
6. What events occur when Jim visits Antonia?
7. Describe Jim's visit to Black Hawk in this chapter
8. How does Jim describe the experience of going to the theatre?
9. Summarize the story Rudolph tells about the Cutters.
10. How does the Polish violin teacher attempt to determine Jim's intentions with Lena? How does he react to Jim's response?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)