|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Cuzak take his son when they are in the city?
(a) To the market
(b) To visit Jim's grandparents
(c) To a theatre show
(d) To a carnival
2. Why does Jim say Gaston Cleric "narrowly missed being a great poet?"
(a) He is a talented writer.
(b) He is well versed in Greek.
(c) He knows all of the classic works of literature.
(d) He speaks poetically when excited.
3. What does Jim find as an unusual trait in Cuzak?
(a) He and Antonia get along very well.
(b) He only speaks Bohemian.
(c) He rarely smiles.
(d) He looks at people sideways.
4. According to Antonia, how did her father and mother meet?
(a) They attended a dance together.
(b) Her father worked for her mother's family.
(c) They attended the same church.
(d) Her mother worked for her father's family.
5. Why does Gaston Cleric suggest that Jim accompany him to Harvard?
(a) They can both take classes at Harvard.
(b) The two can use Harvard's library to study the classics.
(c) Jim has become distracted from his studies by Lena.
(d) Cleric needs assistance teaching a class.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the speaker at Jim's graduation?
2. How does Tiny make her fortune?
3. Why does Antonia not ask Larry Donovan for a civil marriage?
4. According to Mrs. Steavens, why did Antonia come to her home each evening before getting married?
5. Who is suspicious of Jim's visits to Lena?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Larry Donovan from Jim's perspective.
2. How does dancing with Lena differ from dancing with Antonia in Jim's mind?
3. What does Jim tell the group of girls to convince them that Spaniards settled in Nebraska?
4. What events occur when Jim visits Antonia?
5. Summarize the story of Antonia and Larry Donovan's failed attempt at marriage (as told by Widow Steavens).
6. Summarize the story Rudolph tells about the Cutters.
7. Describe Jim and Antonia's relationship after 20 years have passed
8. What is symbolic about Jim and Antonia talking at Mr. Shimerda's grave site?
9. How does Cleric Gaston interpret Virgil's line "Primus ego in patriam mecum . . . deducam Musas", or, "for I shall be the first, if I live, to bring the Muse into my own country.?"
10. Describe Jim's visit to Black Hawk in this chapter
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)