|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jim convince his grandparents to do for posterity?
(a) Write their wills
(b) Record their family stories
(c) Have their picture taken
(d) Take his picture
2. What is Jim constantly reminded of during his time at the university?
(a) Life on his grandparents' farm
(b) His love for Antonia
(c) Mr. Shimerda's death
(d) His inadequate public school education
3. Where does Tiny open her hotel?
(a) Salt Lake City
(b) San Francisco
(c) Black Hawk
4. What is the basis of the plot in the play "Camille?"
(a) Two starcrossed lovers
(b) Unrequited love
(c) Two lovers who die
(d) Two lovers who quarrel
5. What is occurring on the farms when Jim goes to visit Widow Steavens?
(a) The planting of the wheat fields
(b) The baling of hay
(c) The threshing of the wheat fields
(d) The harvest of the wheat fields
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jim often meet Lena?
2. Which of the girls arrives at the river first?
3. To whom is Wick Cutter particularly nice?
4. Who does Cuzak credit with the success of their farm?
5. What does Ambrosch give Antonia when she leaves to marry Donovan?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cleric Gaston interpret Virgil's line "Primus ego in patriam mecum . . . deducam Musas", or, "for I shall be the first, if I live, to bring the Muse into my own country.?"
2. Describe the changes in Tiny Soderball's life from the point that Jim last saw her to present
3. What feelings does Antonia share with Jim as they wait for the others to arrive at the river? How does Jim reassure her?
4. What is symbolic about Jim and Antonia talking at Mr. Shimerda's grave site?
5. Why does Jim believe he will never be a brilliant scholar?
6. How does the Polish violin teacher attempt to determine Jim's intentions with Lena? How does he react to Jim's response?
7. Describe Cuzak's life story as he tells it to Jim
8. What causes Jim to reinterpret sections of Virgil's Georgics? How does he see a particular passage differently?
9. Describe Antonia's preparations for marriage.
10. Describe Larry Donovan from Jim's perspective.
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)