|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Antonia, how did her father and mother meet?
(a) Her mother worked for her father's family.
(b) They attended the same church.
(c) They attended a dance together.
(d) Her father worked for her mother's family.
2. What does Jim tell Antonia he believes happened to her father's soul?
(a) It is in limbo.
(b) It went to Heaven.
(c) It resides in the Shimerda's home.
(d) It returned to Bohemia.
3. Where do Jim and Lena often go together in Lincoln?
(a) To Lena's dress shop
(b) To dinner
(c) On long walks
(d) To theatre shows
4. How does Larry Donovan's manner change when he is with women?
(a) He is cool and distant.
(b) He is flirtatious and overly friendly.
(c) He speaks highly of his wife and child.
(d) He complains about his life choices.
5. Why does Jim say Gaston Cleric "narrowly missed being a great poet?"
(a) He is a talented writer.
(b) He knows all of the classic works of literature.
(c) He is well versed in Greek.
(d) He speaks poetically when excited.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who proposes to Lena several times?
2. Who is the speaker at Jim's graduation?
3. Who is suspicious of Jim's visits to Lena?
4. What does Jim tell Antonia's children about their mother when she was younger?
5. What does Jim romanticize at the end of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jim believe he will never be a brilliant scholar?
2. What events occur when Jim visits Antonia?
3. Describe Antonia's preparations for marriage.
4. How does Jim describe the experience of going to the theatre?
5. Describe Wick Cutter.
6. What causes Jim to reinterpret sections of Virgil's Georgics? How does he see a particular passage differently?
7. Who proposes to Lena? How does she respond?
8. What part of Camille most affects Jim?
9. Describe the changes in Tiny Soderball's life from the point that Jim last saw her to present
10. Summarize the story Rudolph tells about the Cutters.
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)