|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jim say he and Antonia will always share?
(b) The country
(c) The past
2. Which of the girls arrives at the river first?
3. How does Jim feel when swimming in the river?
(a) Excited and alive
(b) Peaceful and contented
(c) Anxious and unsettled
(d) Confused and frustrated
4. What keeps Jim from visiting Antonia?
(a) Fear at seeing her changed
(b) Fear that she will reject him
(c) His wife
(d) Preoccupation with his career
5. What does Jim tell the Polish violin teacher his intentions are with Lena?
(c) He has no intentions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is suspicious of Jim's visits to Lena?
2. Who is the speaker at Jim's graduation?
3. What does Jim plan on studying after graduating Harvard?
4. What does Jim vow to Antonia before he leaves the farm?
5. Who urges Jim to visit Antonia after many years?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Gaston Cleric
2. Describe Antonia's preparations for marriage.
3. What is symbolic about Jim and Antonia talking at Mr. Shimerda's grave site?
4. Summarize the story of Antonia and Larry Donovan's failed attempt at marriage (as told by Widow Steavens).
5. What feelings does Antonia share with Jim as they wait for the others to arrive at the river? How does Jim reassure her?
6. How does Cleric Gaston interpret Virgil's line "Primus ego in patriam mecum . . . deducam Musas", or, "for I shall be the first, if I live, to bring the Muse into my own country.?"
7. Describe Larry Donovan from Jim's perspective.
8. What does Jim see on the wall of the photographer's studio? How does this affect him?
9. How does the Polish violin teacher attempt to determine Jim's intentions with Lena? How does he react to Jim's response?
10. What part of Camille most affects Jim?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)