|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gives Wick Cutter an advantage with the immigrant farmers?
(a) He speaks Swedish.
(b) He loans money without interest
(c) He regularly makes donations to the Protestant church.
(d) He is from Scandanavia.
2. What do Jim's grandparents think of the dances Jim attends?
(a) They encourage him to have an active social life.
(b) They do not approve of the dances.
(c) They believe the dances are harmless.
(d) They are unaware of the dances.
3. How does Wick Cutter react when he finds Jim in his home?
(a) He demands to see Antonia.
(b) He knows Jim is trying to protect Antonia.
(c) He beats him.
(d) He throws him out of the house.
4. What does Frances Harling say is wrong with Jim?
(a) He is too romantic.
(b) He is too focused on his studies.
(c) He needs to marry a country girl.
(d) He is in love with Antonia.
5. Who urges Jim to visit Antonia after many years?
(a) His grandmother
(d) His wife
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jim create for Nina Harling?
2. What has become of Antonia's daughter with Larry Donovan?
3. How does Larry Donovan's manner change when he is with women?
4. What does Jim tell the girls is evidence that the Spanish settled in Nebraska?
5. According to Antonia, how did her father and mother meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Jim to reinterpret sections of Virgil's Georgics? How does he see a particular passage differently?
2. How does Jim react to Antonia when he comes to visit her after many years?
3. Why does Jim believe he will never be a brilliant scholar?
4. Summarize the story Rudolph tells about the Cutters.
5. What feelings does Antonia share with Jim as they wait for the others to arrive at the river? How does Jim reassure her?
6. What event occurs as Jim stays at the Cutters' home?
7. What is symbolic about Jim and Antonia talking at Mr. Shimerda's grave site?
8. What does Jim tell the group of girls to convince them that Spaniards settled in Nebraska?
9. How does the Polish violin teacher attempt to determine Jim's intentions with Lena? How does he react to Jim's response?
10. What part of Camille most affects Jim?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)