|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Jim see as the inspiration for all poetry?
(a) Country girls
(c) City girls
(d) Small towns
2. Where do Antonia and Jim walk to during his visit to the Shimerda farm?
(a) The spot where Jim killed the rattlesnake
(b) The river
(c) Mr. Shimerda's grave site
(d) The Burdens' old farm
3. What does Jim convince his grandparents to do for posterity?
(a) Write their wills
(b) Record their family stories
(c) Have their picture taken
(d) Take his picture
4. Why has Gaston Cleric been sent West?
(a) To recover from a health issue
(b) To start a new life
(c) To attend a university
(d) To study Greek
5. Who does Antonia say will always be a part of her life?
(a) Her father
(d) Her father and Jim
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Antonia eventually marry?
2. What does Jim tell Antonia's children about their mother when she was younger?
3. Why does Antonia not ask Larry Donovan for a civil marriage?
4. What does Jim call the road leading to his grandparents' farm?
5. What play entrances and enthralls Jim?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jim react to Antonia when he comes to visit her after many years?
2. How does Jim's grandmother react to Jim attending dances at the Fireman's Hall? How does Jim respond?
3. Describe the changes in Tiny Soderball's life from the point that Jim last saw her to present
4. Describe Larry Donovan from Jim's perspective.
5. Describe Wick Cutter.
6. What causes Jim to reinterpret sections of Virgil's Georgics? How does he see a particular passage differently?
7. How does Cleric Gaston interpret Virgil's line "Primus ego in patriam mecum . . . deducam Musas", or, "for I shall be the first, if I live, to bring the Muse into my own country.?"
8. Why does Jim believe he will never be a brilliant scholar?
9. Describe Jim's visit to Black Hawk in this chapter
10. Describe Jim and Antonia's relationship after 20 years have passed
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)