|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What keeps Jim from visiting Antonia?
(a) Fear that she will reject him
(b) Preoccupation with his career
(c) Fear at seeing her changed
(d) His wife
2. Who does Jim's grandmother send to stay in the Cutter's house in place of Antonia?
(b) Otto Fuchs
(c) Jim's grandfather
3. What does Jim plan on studying after graduating Harvard?
4. How does "Camille" affect Jim and Lena?
(a) They are both shocked by its content.
(b) They both cry at the end of the play.
(c) Lena cries at the end of the play, but Jim is indifferent.
(d) They are left confused and homesick at the end of the play.
5. Who proposes to Lena several times?
(a) The Polish violin teacher
(b) Gaston Cleric
(d) Colonel Raleigh
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jim go on his only break during the summer?
2. Where do Jim and Lena often go together in Lincoln?
3. Why does Jim stop attending the dances at the Fireman's Hall?
4. To whom does Jim dedicate his speech?
5. Why is Jim disappointed when he visits Black Hawk?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Mr. and Mrs. Cutter respond to the incident in the Cutters' home between Jim and Wick?
2. Summarize the story Rudolph tells about the Cutters.
3. How does dancing with Lena differ from dancing with Antonia in Jim's mind?
4. How does Jim describe the experience of going to the theatre?
5. What causes Jim to reinterpret sections of Virgil's Georgics? How does he see a particular passage differently?
6. Describe Cuzak's life story as he tells it to Jim
7. What does Jim see on the wall of the photographer's studio? How does this affect him?
8. How does Jim react to Antonia when he comes to visit her after many years?
9. Summarize the story of Antonia and Larry Donovan's failed attempt at marriage (as told by Widow Steavens).
10. Why does Jim believe he will never be a brilliant scholar?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)