|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is suspicious of Jim's visits to Lena?
(a) The Polish violin teacher
(b) Gaston Cleric
(c) His grandparents
2. What did Wick Cutter do to trick his wife?
(a) He ran away with their possessions.
(b) He put her on the wrong train home.
(c) He gave the deed to their house to Antonia.
(d) He left her in Omaha.
3. What warning does Mrs. Steavens give Ambrosch?
(a) To support Antonia
(b) To raise Antonia's baby as his own
(c) To never speak to her again
(d) To be kind to Antonia's baby
4. Who does Cuzak credit with the success of their farm?
(d) His children
5. What does Antonia tell Jim she believes is her purpose in life?
(a) Maintaining her cultural heritage
(b) Keeping her father's spirit alive
(c) Keeping the family farm going
(d) Caring for her daughter
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mrs. Harling tell Jim to ask about Antonia's marriage?
2. To whom is Wick Cutter particularly nice?
3. What do Jim's grandparents think of the dances Jim attends?
4. What is occurring on the farms when Jim goes to visit Widow Steavens?
5. What does Jim tell Antonia he believes happened to her father's soul?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Polish violin teacher attempt to determine Jim's intentions with Lena? How does he react to Jim's response?
2. Describe Jim's visit to Black Hawk in this chapter
3. What part of Camille most affects Jim?
4. How does Jim's grandmother react to Jim attending dances at the Fireman's Hall? How does Jim respond?
5. What causes Jim to reinterpret sections of Virgil's Georgics? How does he see a particular passage differently?
6. What feelings does Antonia share with Jim as they wait for the others to arrive at the river? How does Jim reassure her?
7. Describe Antonia's preparations for marriage.
8. How does the novel come full circle at the end?
9. Describe Larry Donovan from Jim's perspective.
10. How does Jim react to Antonia when he comes to visit her after many years?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)