|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What keeps Jim from visiting Antonia?
(a) Fear at seeing her changed
(b) Preoccupation with his career
(c) His wife
(d) Fear that she will reject him
2. What does Rudolph tell Jim was the source of much conflict between the Cutters?
(a) Wick's obsession with Antonia
(b) Their differing personalities
(c) The fate of their property after their deaths
(d) Wick's infidelity
3. Why does Jim stop attending the dances at the Fireman's Hall?
(a) He is embarrassed after kissing Antonia.
(b) He does not enjoy the dances.
(c) His grandmother believes the dances are disgraceful.
(d) Antonia asks him to stop attending the dances.
4. Where does Tiny open her hotel?
(b) San Francisco
(c) Salt Lake City
(d) Black Hawk
5. Who does JIm befriend while staying in Lincoln?
(a) Otto Fuchs
(b) Russian Peter
(d) Gaston Cleric
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom is Wick Cutter constantly in conflict?
2. Who does Antonia eventually marry?
3. Who proposes to Lena several times?
4. Why does Antonia not ask Larry Donovan for a civil marriage?
5. Why has Gaston Cleric been sent West?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jim tell the group of girls to convince them that Spaniards settled in Nebraska?
2. How does Jim react to Antonia when he comes to visit her after many years?
3. What does Jim see on the wall of the photographer's studio? How does this affect him?
4. Summarize the story Rudolph tells about the Cutters.
5. Who proposes to Lena? How does she respond?
6. How does Jim describe the experience of going to the theatre?
7. Describe Wick Cutter.
8. What causes Jim to reinterpret sections of Virgil's Georgics? How does he see a particular passage differently?
9. How does Cleric Gaston interpret Virgil's line "Primus ego in patriam mecum . . . deducam Musas", or, "for I shall be the first, if I live, to bring the Muse into my own country.?"
10. What feelings does Antonia share with Jim as they wait for the others to arrive at the river? How does Jim reassure her?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)