|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jim go after graduating from Harvard?
(b) Black Hawk
(c) New York City
2. Who does JIm befriend while staying in Lincoln?
(b) Otto Fuchs
(c) Russian Peter
(d) Gaston Cleric
3. What does Ambrosch give Antonia when she leaves to marry Donovan?
(a) His blessing
(b) Family heirlooms
4. Why does Antonia not ask Larry Donovan for a civil marriage?
(a) She believes he will see how wonderful she is to him and will eventually marry her in a church.
(b) She does not believe in civil marriage.
(c) She is just happy to be with him and does not feel the need to be married.
(d) She does not want to upset him.
5. How does Antonia react when Jim kisses her?
(a) She becomes angry.
(b) She is delighted.
(c) She is confused.
(d) She is uncomfortable.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who appears at Jim's door as he is contemplating Virgil's words?
2. What becomes Antonia's primary preoccupation once she begins working for the Cutters?
3. What does Frances Harling say is wrong with Jim?
4. What upsetting news does Antonia learn in a letter from Larry Donovan prior to their marriage?
5. What does the phrase "Optima dies...prima fugit" mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jim think it is ironic that Antonia's marriage failed?
2. Describe the changes in Tiny Soderball's life from the point that Jim last saw her to present
3. What does Jim see on the wall of the photographer's studio? How does this affect him?
4. How does Jim describe the experience of going to the theatre?
5. Describe Jim's visit to Black Hawk in this chapter
6. How does Cleric Gaston interpret Virgil's line "Primus ego in patriam mecum . . . deducam Musas", or, "for I shall be the first, if I live, to bring the Muse into my own country.?"
7. How does Jim mark his transition to manhood in this chapter?
8. Describe Jim and Antonia's relationship after 20 years have passed
9. What feelings does Antonia share with Jim as they wait for the others to arrive at the river? How does Jim reassure her?
10. What events occur when Jim visits Antonia?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)