|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gaston Cleric help Jim?
(a) He teaches him Greek.
(b) He provides him with an audience for stories about Black Hawk.
(c) He awakens him to new ideas and learning.
(d) He keeps him company.
2. According to Lena, why did Ole Benson marry his wife?
(a) She was the only woman who would marry him.
(b) He believed she was the only woman who could keep him steady.
(c) He wanted to protect her from her own mental illness.
(d) He thought he could cure her of her mental illness.
3. What does Jim convince his grandparents to do for posterity?
(a) Have their picture taken
(b) Write their wills
(c) Record their family stories
(d) Take his picture
4. What gives Wick Cutter an advantage with the immigrant farmers?
(a) He loans money without interest
(b) He is from Scandanavia.
(c) He speaks Swedish.
(d) He regularly makes donations to the Protestant church.
5. Where does Cuzak take his son when they are in the city?
(a) To a theatre show
(b) To a carnival
(c) To visit Jim's grandparents
(d) To the market
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jim romanticize at the end of the novel?
2. According to Mrs. Steavens, why did Antonia come to her home each evening before getting married?
3. Where does Lena tell Jim that Antonia is now working?
4. Who does Antonia say will always be a part of her life?
5. What does Jim say he and Antonia will always share?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the novel come full circle at the end?
2. Describe the changes in Tiny Soderball's life from the point that Jim last saw her to present
3. How does the Polish violin teacher attempt to determine Jim's intentions with Lena? How does he react to Jim's response?
4. Describe Jim and Antonia's relationship after 20 years have passed
5. How does Jim describe the experience of going to the theatre?
6. Who proposes to Lena? How does she respond?
7. Describe Cuzak's life story as he tells it to Jim
8. Describe Larry Donovan from Jim's perspective.
9. How does Jim react to Antonia when he comes to visit her after many years?
10. Summarize the story of Antonia and Larry Donovan's failed attempt at marriage (as told by Widow Steavens).
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)