|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jim create for Nina Harling?
(a) A playhouse
(b) A doll
(c) A May basket
(d) A toy
2. Who does Jim hold responsible for Wick Cutter's negative actions?
(b) His grandmother
3. What does Jim plan on studying after graduating Harvard?
4. Who does Jim realize he wants to see again?
5. Where do Jim and Lena often go together in Lincoln?
(a) On long walks
(b) To theatre shows
(c) To Lena's dress shop
(d) To dinner
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Antonia eventually marry?
2. What does Wick Cutter do before leaving for Omaha that Grandmother Burden finds suspicious?
3. According to Antonia, how did her father and mother meet?
4. Who proposes to Lena several times?
5. How does Larry Donovan's manner change when he is with women?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Jim to reinterpret sections of Virgil's Georgics? How does he see a particular passage differently?
2. How does dancing with Lena differ from dancing with Antonia in Jim's mind?
3. Describe Wick Cutter.
4. Summarize the story Rudolph tells about the Cutters.
5. How does Jim's grandmother react to Jim attending dances at the Fireman's Hall? How does Jim respond?
6. How does the Polish violin teacher attempt to determine Jim's intentions with Lena? How does he react to Jim's response?
7. How does the novel come full circle at the end?
8. What is symbolic about Jim and Antonia talking at Mr. Shimerda's grave site?
9. How does Jim react to Antonia when he comes to visit her after many years?
10. Who proposes to Lena? How does she respond?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)