|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Mr. Shimerda's body buried?
(a) On the Burdens' farm
(b) In a cemetery
(c) At the corner of the family's lot of land
(d) In Bohemia
2. Who is suspected of killing Mr. Shimerda?
(d) Wick Cutter
3. What does Mr. Shimerda ask Jim's grandmother to do?
(a) Agree to allow Antonia to marry Jim
(b) Teach all of his children to speak and read English
(c) Teach Antonia to speak and read English
(d) Help his wife set up their home
4. To whom are Pavel and Peter indebted?
(a) Wick Cutter
(c) The Burdens
(d) The Shimerdas
5. Where do Otto and Jake go when the Burdens sell their farm?
(a) They move into Black Hawk with the Burdens.
(b) Back to Germany
(c) Back to the Wild West
(d) To work on another farm
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jim's grandfather bring home for him after visiting the Shimerdas on Christmas?
2. Which of the following is not a regular occurrence in the evenings at the Harling house?
3. Who sold the Shimerda family their home?
4. How do the Shimerdas react to their difficult living conditions?
5. What does Jim tell the narrator of the introduction?
Short Essay Questions
1. What change occurs in Black Hawk in the Spring? How does this affect the people living there?
2. What change in Jim's life occurs in the first chapter of Book 2? How does it affect him?
3. How is Jim like the Shimerdas as they both travel to Nebraska?
4. Compare and contrast the town and city girls (from Jim's point of view).
5. Retell the story about Lena being responsible for Antonia's feelings about the girl.
6. Describe Peter and Pavel
7. What confession does Pavel make to Mr. Shimerda on his death bed?
8. Describe Jim's experiences when he is housebound due to illness
9. Why do Jake and Ambrosch come to blows in Chapter 18?
10. Describe Jim's first impressions of the Nebraska landscape. Why do you think he responds in this way?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)