|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Antonia react to the dances in town?
(a) She believes they are immoral.
(b) She is ambivalent towards the dances.
(c) She rarely attends the dances.
(d) She regularly attends the dances.
2. What reputation does the Boys' Home Hotel have?
(a) It is considered a seedy hotel.
(b) It is considered a safe place for men, but not women, to stay.
(c) It is considered an elite, high priced establishment.
(d) It is considered the best in the area.
3. What first strikes Jim about the location of his grandparents' home?
(a) There are many immigrants living in the area.
(b) There is land as far as the eye can see.
(c) There are few trees in the area.
(d) The farm is extremely quiet.
4. What does Otto do annually on Christmas day?
(a) Visits the Shimerdas
(b) Cleans the horse stables
(c) Decorates the Christmas tree
(d) Writes to his mother
5. What does Jim say he enjoys most about his grandfather reading Christmas prayers?
(a) The sound of his voice
(b) His choice of prayers
(c) The memories of his parents that he invokes
(d) The sense of spirituality that fills the room
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the Harling children is Antonia's favorite?
2. Who sponsors the dance tent in Black Hawk?
3. Who teaches Yulka to read English?
4. Which of the following is not a quality that Jim believes the town girls possess?
5. What act does Jim perform that makes him a hero in Antonia's eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Jake and Ambrosch come to blows in Chapter 18?
2. How do Mr. and Mrs. Cutter respond to the incident in the Cutters' home between Jim and Wick?
3. Describe Jim and Antonia's relationship after 20 years have passed
4. Describe Larry Donovan from Jim's perspective.
5. What does Jim see on the wall of the photographer's studio? How does this affect him?
6. Describe Jim's experiences when he is housebound due to illness
7. Describe the Shimerda family (as they are introduced in Chapter 3)
8. Who proposes to Lena? How does she respond?
9. How does the Polish violin teacher attempt to determine Jim's intentions with Lena? How does he react to Jim's response?
10. Describe the gifts that Jim and his grandparents give to the Shimerdas for Christmas.
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)