|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who sold the Shimerda family their home?
(b) Otto Fuchs
(c) The Burdens
(d) Jim's grandparents
2. Which of the following is not a detail about Antonia that Mrs. Steavens shares with the Burdens?
(a) Ambrosch hires Antonia out like a man.
(b) Antonia is a hard worker.
(c) Antonia goes to many dances.
(d) Many of the country people like Antonia.
3. Why do the three Marys often have to leave town?
(a) They are itinerant farm workers.
(b) Their families live in neighboring towns.
(c) They help other immigrants in the area.
(d) They are suspected of becoming pregnant.
4. Who entertains Jim when he is forced to stay indoors because of illness?
(b) Grandfather Burden
(d) Otto Fuchs
5. What do Jim and Jake go to pick up from Ambrosch in Chapter 18?
(a) An ax
(b) A horse collar
(c) A wagon
(d) A cow
Short Answer Questions
1. What misfortune falls upon Pavel in Chapter 8?
2. Who does Jim's grandfather believe killed Mr. Shimerda?
3. How does Antonia differ from her brother Ambrosch?
4. Where does Antonia consider going to work when the Harlings forbid her to attend the dances?
5. What rumor about Pavel circulates in the community?
Short Essay Questions
1. What change in Jim's life occurs in the first chapter of Book 2? How does it affect him?
2. What does Mr. Shimerda do in the Burdens' home on Christmas that surprises them? Why are they surprised by his action?
3. Compare and contrast the town and city girls (from Jim's point of view).
4. How does the Hardings' household change when Mr. Harling comes home from work?
5. Does Antonia attend school? Why or why not?
6. Describe the Harlings.
7. How do the Shimerdas react when the Burdens bring them supplies during the cold winter?
8. Describe Jim's experiences when he is housebound due to illness
9. Retell the story about Lena being responsible for Antonia's feelings about the girl.
10. Describe Jim's first impressions of the Nebraska landscape. Why do you think he responds in this way?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)