|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jim live as an adult?
(a) New York
2. Where does Jim believe Mr. Shimerda's spirit goes after he dies?
(a) To live above the Burdens' home
(b) To Heaven
(c) Back to Germany
(d) Into Purgatory
3. Who accompanies Jim on his train trip to Nebraska in Chapter 1?
(a) His grandfather
(c) Otto Fuchs
(d) Jake Marpole
4. Which of the following is not a detail about Antonia that Mrs. Steavens shares with the Burdens?
(a) Many of the country people like Antonia.
(b) Antonia goes to many dances.
(c) Antonia is a hard worker.
(d) Ambrosch hires Antonia out like a man.
5. Why do Antonia and Jim travel to Russian Peter's in Chapter 7?
(a) To borrow a spade
(b) To visit with he and Pavel.
(c) To show the Shimerda children the prairie dog houses.
(d) To deliver a spade
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Jim and Jake go to pick up from Ambrosch in Chapter 18?
2. What does Jim's grandfather bring home for him after visiting the Shimerdas on Christmas?
3. Why are Otto's fellow travelers suspicious of him when he escorts an immigrant woman to the U.S. to meet her husband?
4. What reputation does the Boys' Home Hotel have?
5. How does Lena feel when her brother leaves Black Hawk after a visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Shimerda do in the Burdens' home on Christmas that surprises them? Why are they surprised by his action?
2. What is significant about January 22 in this novel?
3. Describe Peter and Pavel
4. How does Mrs. Shimerda act when she and Antonia visit the Burdens after the thaw? How does Jim respond to her?
5. Describe the gifts that Jim and his grandparents give to the Shimerdas for Christmas.
6. What is a rattlesnake cane? What is its importance for the Burdens?
7. Does Antonia attend school? Why or why not?
8. Why do the Shimerdas have difficulty getting Mr. Shimerda buried? Where is he ultimately interred?
9. Describe the Shimerda family (as they are introduced in Chapter 3)
10. Describe Jim's first impressions of the Nebraska landscape. Why do you think he responds in this way?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)