|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jim tell the narrator of the introduction?
(a) He dislikes his wife.
(b) He has been writing down his memories of Antonia.
(c) He plans to move back to Nebraska.
(d) He was secretly in love with Antonia.
2. Where do Otto and Jake go when the Burdens sell their farm?
(a) Back to the Wild West
(b) Back to Germany
(c) They move into Black Hawk with the Burdens.
(d) To work on another farm
3. What does Antonia say was found in the pocket of the tramp who died in the thresher?
(b) A poem
(c) A letter from his wife
(d) A suicide note
4. Why do Jim and his grandparents make Christmas presents for the Shimerdas instead of purchasing them?
(a) They know the Shimerdas prefer handmade gifts.
(b) The Burdens cannot afford to purchase presents.
(c) They do not want to appear pretentious to the Shimerdas.
(d) The family is snowed in and cannot get to the store.
5. Which of the following is not a quality that Jim believes the town girls possess?
(c) Physical strength
Short Answer Questions
1. Where in Black Hawk is Antonia hired to work?
2. What about Antonia does Jim criticize as he dines with her family in Chapter 17?
3. How does Antonia show her affection for Charley?
4. Which of the following is not a topic of complaint by Mrs. Shimerda in Chapter 17?
5. Which of the following does Grandmother Burden not teach Antonia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events occur when Jim visits Antonia?
2. How do Mr. and Mrs. Cutter respond to the incident in the Cutters' home between Jim and Wick?
3. Summarize the story of Antonia and Larry Donovan's failed attempt at marriage (as told by Widow Steavens).
4. Why do the Shimerdas have difficulty getting Mr. Shimerda buried? Where is he ultimately interred?
5. Describe the Shimerda family (as they are introduced in Chapter 3)
6. Describe Gaston Cleric
7. How does the Hardings' household change when Mr. Harling comes home from work?
8. Why do Jake and Ambrosch come to blows in Chapter 18?
9. How does Antonia predict the winter will affect her family differently than Jim's?
10. Why does Jim believe he will never be a brilliant scholar?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)