|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who sold the Shimerda family their home?
(b) Jim's grandparents
(c) Otto Fuchs
(d) The Burdens
2. Why are Otto's fellow travelers suspicious of him when he escorts an immigrant woman to the U.S. to meet her husband?
(a) He never leaves the woman's side.
(b) The woman leaves during the trip.
(c) The woman gives birth to triplets.
(d) He appears to be in love with the woman.
3. Who does Jim's grandfather believe killed Mr. Shimerda?
(a) Wick Cutter
(d) Mr. Shimerda
4. Where do Otto and Jake go when the Burdens sell their farm?
(a) Back to Germany
(b) To work on another farm
(c) They move into Black Hawk with the Burdens.
(d) Back to the Wild West
5. Who is suspected of killing Mr. Shimerda?
(d) Wick Cutter
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Anton Jelinek's connection with the Shimerda family?
2. What event occurs that causes Mr. Harling to tell Antonia she cannot attend the dances?
3. What does Antonia say was found in the pocket of the tramp who died in the thresher?
4. What becomes of Peter when Pavel passes away?
5. Why do the Shimerdas remain involved with Krajiek?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jim's encounter with the rattlesnake as he and Antonia return from Russian Peter's
2. What does Mr. Shimerda do in the Burdens' home on Christmas that surprises them? Why are they surprised by his action?
3. Describe the relationship between the Shimerdas and Krajiek
4. What reaction do the Harlings have to Antonia's interest in the dances in the tent?
5. What change in Jim's life occurs in the first chapter of Book 2? How does it affect him?
6. Why does Mrs. Shimerda ask Jim's grandfather to say a prayer during her husband's funeral?
7. Describe Peter and Pavel
8. What change occurs in Black Hawk in the Spring? How does this affect the people living there?
9. Why do the Shimerdas have difficulty getting Mr. Shimerda buried? Where is he ultimately interred?
10. Why do Jake and Ambrosch come to blows in Chapter 18?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)