Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are Otto's fellow travelers suspicious of him when he escorts an immigrant woman to the U.S. to meet her husband?
(a) The woman gives birth to triplets.
(b) The woman leaves during the trip.
(c) He appears to be in love with the woman.
(d) He never leaves the woman's side.
2. What does Tiny often share with Lena?
(a) The wages she earns working at the hotel
(b) News of the old country
(c) The gifts she receives from men staying at the hotel
(d) The room she rents at the hotel
3. What one item must all of the Shimerdas share during the winter?
(a) A dish
(b) A blanket
(c) A bed
(d) A coat
4. Which of the following is not a regular occurrence in the evenings at the Harling house?
(a) The family gathers in the parlor.
(b) Antonia bakes treats for the family and visitors.
(c) The family gathers in the kitchen.
(d) Antonia tells stories of Bohemia.
5. Which of the Shimerdas did not want to immigrate to the United States?
(a) Mr. Shimerda
(b) Mrs. Shimerda
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Ambrosch delighted when he hears Jake sold a pig in town?
2. How has Mr. Harling made his money?
3. What does Jim's grandfather bring home for him after visiting the Shimerdas on Christmas?
4. Where in Black Hawk is Antonia hired to work?
5. Which of the following is not a quality that Jim believes the country girls possess?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the gifts that Jim and his grandparents give to the Shimerdas for Christmas.
2. How does Jim's grandmother react to Jim attending dances at the Fireman's Hall? How does Jim respond?
3. Summarize the story Rudolph tells about the Cutters.
4. What part of Camille most affects Jim?
5. How does the Hardings' household change when Mr. Harling comes home from work?
6. What reaction do the Harlings have to Antonia's interest in the dances in the tent?
7. What does Jim tell the group of girls to convince them that Spaniards settled in Nebraska?
8. Why do Jake and Ambrosch come to blows in Chapter 18?
9. What is symbolic about Jim and Antonia talking at Mr. Shimerda's grave site?
10. Why does Jim believe he will never be a brilliant scholar?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)