|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not a regular occurrence in the evenings at the Harling house?
(a) The family gathers in the parlor.
(b) The family gathers in the kitchen.
(c) Antonia tells stories of Bohemia.
(d) Antonia bakes treats for the family and visitors.
2. What does Antonia offer Jim when she meets him?
(a) Her friendship
(b) Wild mushrooms
(c) Her ring
(d) Help on the farm
3. Why do Jim and his grandparents make Christmas presents for the Shimerdas instead of purchasing them?
(a) They know the Shimerdas prefer handmade gifts.
(b) The Burdens cannot afford to purchase presents.
(c) They do not want to appear pretentious to the Shimerdas.
(d) The family is snowed in and cannot get to the store.
4. Why does Jim come to live with his grandparents in the first chapter of the book?
(a) His parents are unable to care for him.
(b) His parents have passed away.
(c) His parents want him to grow up on a farm.
(d) His parents have divorced.
5. Which of the following is not a quality that Jim believes the country girls possess?
(a) Devotion to family
(b) Devotion to work
(d) Physical strength
Short Answer Questions
1. What about Antonia does Jim criticize as he dines with her family in Chapter 17?
2. What act does Jim perform that makes him a hero in Antonia's eyes?
3. Why do Antonia and Jim travel to Russian Peter's in Chapter 7?
4. What possession does Russian Peter value over all others?
5. Who entertains Jim when he is forced to stay indoors because of illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jim's encounter with the rattlesnake as he and Antonia return from Russian Peter's
2. Why do Jake and Ambrosch come to blows in Chapter 18?
3. What is a rattlesnake cane? What is its importance for the Burdens?
4. What change occurs in Black Hawk in the Spring? How does this affect the people living there?
5. How does the Hardings' household change when Mr. Harling comes home from work?
6. Why does Mrs. Shimerda ask Jim's grandfather to say a prayer during her husband's funeral?
7. Describe Tiny Soderball's work and living environment
8. Describe Jim's experiences when he is housebound due to illness
9. What does Mr. Shimerda do in the Burdens' home on Christmas that surprises them? Why are they surprised by his action?
10. What reaction do the Harlings have to Antonia's interest in the dances in the tent?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)