|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom are Pavel and Peter indebted?
(a) Wick Cutter
(b) The Shimerdas
(d) The Burdens
2. Who does Jim's grandmother hire to help her work in the house during July?
(b) Mrs. Shimerda
3. What nickname is Antonia given?
4. What does Jim's grandmother warn him to watch for when he is in her garden?
(c) Poisonous plants
5. Why are Otto's fellow travelers suspicious of him when he escorts an immigrant woman to the U.S. to meet her husband?
(a) He appears to be in love with the woman.
(b) He never leaves the woman's side.
(c) The woman gives birth to triplets.
(d) The woman leaves during the trip.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jim come to live with his grandparents in the first chapter of the book?
2. What does Mr. Shimerda ask Jim's grandmother to do?
3. What does Antonia offer Jim when she meets him?
4. What does Jake find under the manger in the barn where Mr. Shimerda's body is found?
5. Where is Mr. Shimerda's body buried?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between the Shimerdas and Krajiek
2. Retell the story about Lena being responsible for Antonia's feelings about the girl.
3. What is a rattlesnake cane? What is its importance for the Burdens?
4. What reaction do the Harlings have to Antonia's interest in the dances in the tent?
5. What confession does Pavel make to Mr. Shimerda on his death bed?
6. Does Antonia attend school? Why or why not?
7. How does the Hardings' household change when Mr. Harling comes home from work?
8. What is significant about January 22 in this novel?
9. Describe Antonia's relationship with her father
10. Describe Tiny Soderball's work and living environment
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)