|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Antonia offer Jim when she meets him?
(a) Her ring
(b) Wild mushrooms
(c) Help on the farm
(d) Her friendship
2. Why does Jim think Antonia acts superior to him?
(a) She is older than he is.
(b) She believes she is smarter than he is.
(c) She is from a different culture than he is.
(d) She believes females are superior to males.
3. How do the narrator and Jim become acquainted?
(a) They meet on the train.
(b) They grew up in the same town.
(c) They were both neighbors of Antonia.
(d) The work for the same company in New York.
4. Who sold the Shimerda family their home?
(a) The Burdens
(c) Otto Fuchs
(d) Jim's grandparents
5. Which of the following is not a detail about Antonia that Mrs. Steavens shares with the Burdens?
(a) Antonia is a hard worker.
(b) Many of the country people like Antonia.
(c) Antonia goes to many dances.
(d) Ambrosch hires Antonia out like a man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Antonia consider going to work when the Harlings forbid her to attend the dances?
2. How did Blind d'Arnault's mother react to his blindness?
3. What rumor about Pavel circulates in the community?
4. Who helps Ambrosch and Marek treat the horse with colic?
5. What does Jim's grandfather bring home for him after visiting the Shimerdas on Christmas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jim's experiences when he is housebound due to illness
2. Describe Gaston Cleric
3. Describe the changes in Tiny Soderball's life from the point that Jim last saw her to present
4. What feelings does Antonia share with Jim as they wait for the others to arrive at the river? How does Jim reassure her?
5. Describe Larry Donovan from Jim's perspective.
6. Does Antonia attend school? Why or why not?
7. Who proposes to Lena? How does she respond?
8. Describe Jim and Antonia's relationship after 20 years have passed
9. What causes Jim to reinterpret sections of Virgil's Georgics? How does he see a particular passage differently?
10. How do Mr. and Mrs. Cutter respond to the incident in the Cutters' home between Jim and Wick?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)