|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Antonia confides to Jim that her father is _______________
(a) deeply sad.
(b) mentally ill.
(c) cruel and unforgiving.
(d) dangerous and unpredictable.
2. What one item must all of the Shimerdas share during the winter?
(a) A blanket
(b) A bed
(c) A dish
(d) A coat
3. What does Mr. Shimerda promise to give Jim when he is older?
(a) His gun
(b) Antonia's hand in marriage
(c) Fatherly advice
(d) His farm
4. What impact do the dances in Black Hawk have on the townspeople?
(a) The community protests the dances.
(b) The dance tent encourages immoral behavior.
(c) The community is ambivalent about the dances.
(d) The dance tent becomes the social center of town.
5. What act does Jim perform that makes him a hero in Antonia's eyes?
(a) He kills a rattlesnake.
(b) He catches a prairie dog.
(c) He rescues her brother.
(d) He teaches her to read.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jim often run into when he is in downtown Black Hawk?
2. How does Antonia show her affection for Charley?
3. What first strikes Jim about the location of his grandparents' home?
4. Which of the Shimerda children is considered most important by his parents?
5. Why does Jim come to live with his grandparents in the first chapter of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jim see on the wall of the photographer's studio? How does this affect him?
2. Why does Jim think it is ironic that Antonia's marriage failed?
3. Describe Gaston Cleric
4. Describe Blind d'Arnault and his journey to become a pianist
5. What does Jim tell the group of girls to convince them that Spaniards settled in Nebraska?
6. How does Jim describe the experience of going to the theatre?
7. What is a rattlesnake cane? What is its importance for the Burdens?
8. Retell the story Antonia shares with Jim and the Harlings about the tramp and the thresher
9. What is significant about January 22 in this novel?
10. What confession does Pavel make to Mr. Shimerda on his death bed?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)