|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jim tell the narrator of the introduction?
(a) He dislikes his wife.
(b) He plans to move back to Nebraska.
(c) He was secretly in love with Antonia.
(d) He has been writing down his memories of Antonia.
2. Why do Jim and his grandparents make Christmas presents for the Shimerdas instead of purchasing them?
(a) The Burdens cannot afford to purchase presents.
(b) They do not want to appear pretentious to the Shimerdas.
(c) The family is snowed in and cannot get to the store.
(d) They know the Shimerdas prefer handmade gifts.
3. What does Tiny often share with Lena?
(a) The wages she earns working at the hotel
(b) News of the old country
(c) The gifts she receives from men staying at the hotel
(d) The room she rents at the hotel
4. What does Otto do annually on Christmas day?
(a) Writes to his mother
(b) Visits the Shimerdas
(c) Cleans the horse stables
(d) Decorates the Christmas tree
5. Which of the following is not a regular occurrence in the evenings at the Harling house?
(a) Antonia tells stories of Bohemia.
(b) The family gathers in the parlor.
(c) Antonia bakes treats for the family and visitors.
(d) The family gathers in the kitchen.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Blind d'Arnault's mother react to his blindness?
2. Where does Antonia consider going to work when the Harlings forbid her to attend the dances?
3. What one item must all of the Shimerdas share during the winter?
4. Why does Mrs. Harling disapprove of Tiny Soderball?
5. What does Jim's grandmother warn him to watch for when he is in her garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Hardings' household change when Mr. Harling comes home from work?
2. What is significant about January 22 in this novel?
3. Describe Jim's first impressions of the Nebraska landscape. Why do you think he responds in this way?
4. What change in Jim's life occurs in the first chapter of Book 2? How does it affect him?
5. Describe Peter and Pavel
6. How does Mrs. Shimerda act when she and Antonia visit the Burdens after the thaw? How does Jim respond to her?
7. Describe Antonia's relationship with her father
8. Describe Jim's experiences when he is housebound due to illness
9. Describe Jim's encounter with the rattlesnake as he and Antonia return from Russian Peter's
10. Describe the relationship between the Shimerdas and Krajiek
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)