|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Harling disapprove of Tiny Soderball?
(a) She does not approve of working women.
(b) She has a reputation for being flirtatious.
(c) She does not like country girls.
(d) She believes working at a hotel is inappropriate for a woman.
2. What does Antonia say was found in the pocket of the tramp who died in the thresher?
(a) A letter from his wife
(b) A suicide note
(c) A poem
3. Which of the Harling children helps his/her father with the family business?
4. Who does Jim's grandmother hire to help her work in the house during July?
(a) Mrs. Shimerda
5. Which of the following is not a regular occurrence in the evenings at the Harling house?
(a) Antonia tells stories of Bohemia.
(b) Antonia bakes treats for the family and visitors.
(c) The family gathers in the kitchen.
(d) The family gathers in the parlor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jake have to pay a fine?
2. Which of the following is not a quality that Jim believes the country girls possess?
3. Who entertains Jim when he is forced to stay indoors because of illness?
4. What becomes of Peter when Pavel passes away?
5. Why do Jim and his grandparents make Christmas presents for the Shimerdas instead of purchasing them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What change in Jim's life occurs in the first chapter of Book 2? How does it affect him?
2. Describe Blind d'Arnault and his journey to become a pianist
3. Retell the story Antonia shares with Jim and the Harlings about the tramp and the thresher
4. How do the Shimerdas react when the Burdens bring them supplies during the cold winter?
5. How does Antonia predict the winter will affect her family differently than Jim's?
6. Describe Peter and Pavel
7. What reaction do the Harlings have to Antonia's interest in the dances in the tent?
8. How is Jim like the Shimerdas as they both travel to Nebraska?
9. Describe Jim's encounter with the rattlesnake as he and Antonia return from Russian Peter's
10. Describe the gifts that Jim and his grandparents give to the Shimerdas for Christmas.
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)