|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who performs Mr. Shimerda's funeral service?
(a) Otto Fuchs
(b) A priest
(c) The coroner
(d) Grandfather Burden and Otto Fuchs
2. Who sold the Shimerda family their home?
(b) The Burdens
(c) Jim's grandparents
(d) Otto Fuchs
3. Who sponsors the dance tent in Black Hawk?
(a) The Harlings
(b) Wick Cutter
(c) The Vannis
(d) The Burdens
4. What does Jim say he enjoys most about his grandfather reading Christmas prayers?
(a) The sound of his voice
(b) The memories of his parents that he invokes
(c) The sense of spirituality that fills the room
(d) His choice of prayers
5. How does Antonia show her affection for Charley?
(a) By teaching him to read
(b) By kissing and tickling him
(c) By making him his favorite treats
(d) By playing with him more than Nina
Short Answer Questions
1. What impact do the dances in Black Hawk have on the townspeople?
2. What does Jim's grandfather bring home for him after visiting the Shimerdas on Christmas?
3. What about Antonia does Jim criticize as he dines with her family in Chapter 17?
4. Who does Antonia tell that Jim tried to kill Lena back in Bohemia?
5. What does Otto do annually on Christmas day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Peter and Pavel
2. Retell the story about Lena being responsible for Antonia's feelings about the girl.
3. What change occurs in Black Hawk in the Spring? How does this affect the people living there?
4. Describe Jim's encounter with the rattlesnake as he and Antonia return from Russian Peter's
5. Describe the Harlings.
6. What does Mr. Shimerda do in the Burdens' home on Christmas that surprises them? Why are they surprised by his action?
7. How is Jim like the Shimerdas as they both travel to Nebraska?
8. Describe the gifts that Jim and his grandparents give to the Shimerdas for Christmas.
9. Retell the story Antonia shares with Jim and the Harlings about the tramp and the thresher
10. Why do Jake and Ambrosch come to blows in Chapter 18?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)