|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Anton Jelinek's connection with the Shimerda family?
(a) Both are from Austria.
(b) Both are Bohemian.
(c) Both are indebted to Krajiek.
(d) Both live in Black Hawk.
2. How did Blind d'Arnault's mother react to his blindness?
(a) She helped him function as if he was sighted.
(b) She was ashamed.
(c) She was supportive of him.
(d) She was angry.
3. Where in Black Hawk is Antonia hired to work?
(a) The Boy's Home Hotel
(b) The Burdens' home
(c) The Harlings' home
(d) At the school
4. What does Antonia offer Jim when she meets him?
(a) Help on the farm
(b) Her ring
(c) Wild mushrooms
(d) Her friendship
5. What does Otto put on the Christmas tree that attracts everyone's attention?
(a) Special ornaments from Austria
(c) A photo of his mother
(d) Ornaments from the Shimerdas
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mrs. Harling's only complaint about Antonia's work?
2. Why does Jake have to pay a fine?
3. Who helps Ambrosch and Marek treat the horse with colic?
4. What does Tiny often share with Lena?
5. Why do the three Marys often have to leave town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What change in Jim's life occurs in the first chapter of Book 2? How does it affect him?
2. Describe Jim's experiences when he is housebound due to illness
3. How does Antonia predict the winter will affect her family differently than Jim's?
4. Retell the story Antonia shares with Jim and the Harlings about the tramp and the thresher
5. Retell the story about Lena being responsible for Antonia's feelings about the girl.
6. Why do Jake and Ambrosch come to blows in Chapter 18?
7. What change occurs in Black Hawk in the Spring? How does this affect the people living there?
8. Describe Jim's encounter with the rattlesnake as he and Antonia return from Russian Peter's
9. Why do the Shimerdas have difficulty getting Mr. Shimerda buried? Where is he ultimately interred?
10. How does Mrs. Shimerda act when she and Antonia visit the Burdens after the thaw? How does Jim respond to her?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)