|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not a topic of complaint by Mrs. Shimerda in Chapter 17?
(a) Accusations against Ambrosch
(b) Mr. Shimerda's death
(c) A broken ax.
(d) The cow Grandfather Burden sold her.
2. What event is responsible for the lightened tone at the hotel?
(a) The manager is out of town.
(b) The country girls are in town.
(c) Jim and Antonia visit the hotel.
(d) Tiny is promoted to the manager position.
3. What does Mr. Shimerda ask Jim's grandmother to do?
(a) Help his wife set up their home
(b) Agree to allow Antonia to marry Jim
(c) Teach Antonia to speak and read English
(d) Teach all of his children to speak and read English
4. What does Jim's grandmother warn him to watch for when he is in her garden?
(c) Poisonous plants
5. Why do Jim and his grandparents make Christmas presents for the Shimerdas instead of purchasing them?
(a) They do not want to appear pretentious to the Shimerdas.
(b) They know the Shimerdas prefer handmade gifts.
(c) The Burdens cannot afford to purchase presents.
(d) The family is snowed in and cannot get to the store.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname is Antonia given?
2. What reputation does the Boys' Home Hotel have?
3. Where in Black Hawk is Antonia hired to work?
4. How has Mr. Harling made his money?
5. To whom are Pavel and Peter indebted?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Antonia's relationship with her father
2. Why do the Shimerdas have difficulty getting Mr. Shimerda buried? Where is he ultimately interred?
3. How do the Shimerdas react when the Burdens bring them supplies during the cold winter?
4. Why does Mrs. Shimerda ask Jim's grandfather to say a prayer during her husband's funeral?
5. Retell the story about Lena being responsible for Antonia's feelings about the girl.
6. How does Antonia predict the winter will affect her family differently than Jim's?
7. Describe the relationship between the Shimerdas and Krajiek
8. What change in Jim's life occurs in the first chapter of Book 2? How does it affect him?
9. Describe Jim's encounter with the rattlesnake as he and Antonia return from Russian Peter's
10. What event occurs as Jim stays at the Cutters' home?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)