|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Antonia consider going to work when the Harlings forbid her to attend the dances?
(a) For Wick Cutter
(b) For the Burdens
(c) In a neighboring town
(d) On her family's farm
2. What does Tiny often share with Lena?
(a) The room she rents at the hotel
(b) News of the old country
(c) The wages she earns working at the hotel
(d) The gifts she receives from men staying at the hotel
3. Who visits the Burdens on Christmas day?
(a) The Shimerda family
(d) Mr. Shimerda
4. How do the Shimerdas react to their difficult living conditions?
(a) They shut themselves off from the community.
(b) They never complain.
(c) They ask the Burdens to help them.
(d) The complain constantly.
5. How does Antonia show her affection for Charley?
(a) By playing with him more than Nina
(b) By kissing and tickling him
(c) By teaching him to read
(d) By making him his favorite treats
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the three Marys often have to leave town?
2. What reputation does the Boys' Home Hotel have?
3. Which of the following is not a quality that Jim believes the town girls possess?
4. Which of the following is not a quality that Jim believes the country girls possess?
5. Why does Jake have to pay a fine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between the Shimerdas and Krajiek
2. Describe Jim's encounter with the rattlesnake as he and Antonia return from Russian Peter's
3. What does Mr. Shimerda do in the Burdens' home on Christmas that surprises them? Why are they surprised by his action?
4. Why does Mrs. Shimerda ask Jim's grandfather to say a prayer during her husband's funeral?
5. Describe the Harlings.
6. What reaction do the Harlings have to Antonia's interest in the dances in the tent?
7. How is Jim like the Shimerdas as they both travel to Nebraska?
8. How does the Hardings' household change when Mr. Harling comes home from work?
9. What confession does Pavel make to Mr. Shimerda on his death bed?
10. Retell the story Antonia shares with Jim and the Harlings about the tramp and the thresher
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)