|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jake have to pay a fine?
(a) Because he broke a traffic law
(b) Because he punched Ambrosch
(c) Because he failed to pay taxes
(d) Because he was involved in a bar fight
2. Why do Antonia and Jim travel to Russian Peter's in Chapter 7?
(a) To deliver a spade
(b) To visit with he and Pavel.
(c) To show the Shimerda children the prairie dog houses.
(d) To borrow a spade
3. Which of the following is not a detail about Antonia that Mrs. Steavens shares with the Burdens?
(a) Ambrosch hires Antonia out like a man.
(b) Antonia is a hard worker.
(c) Many of the country people like Antonia.
(d) Antonia goes to many dances.
4. Where is Mr. Shimerda's body buried?
(a) In a cemetery
(b) At the corner of the family's lot of land
(c) On the Burdens' farm
(d) In Bohemia
5. Why does Jim think Antonia acts superior to him?
(a) She believes she is smarter than he is.
(b) She is from a different culture than he is.
(c) She is older than he is.
(d) She believes females are superior to males.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days pass before Mr. Shimerda's body is buried?
2. Whose visit to Black Hawk breaks up the monotony of the winter for Jim?
3. Why does Jim come to live with his grandparents in the first chapter of the book?
4. What is Anton Jelinek's connection with the Shimerda family?
5. What does Otto do annually on Christmas day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reaction do the Harlings have to Antonia's interest in the dances in the tent?
2. Describe Blind d'Arnault and his journey to become a pianist
3. How do the Shimerdas react when the Burdens bring them supplies during the cold winter?
4. Describe Jim's encounter with the rattlesnake as he and Antonia return from Russian Peter's
5. Why do Jake and Ambrosch come to blows in Chapter 18?
6. Describe Peter and Pavel
7. Describe the Harlings.
8. Describe Jim's experiences when he is housebound due to illness
9. Why does Mrs. Shimerda ask Jim's grandfather to say a prayer during her husband's funeral?
10. Describe Jim's first impressions of the Nebraska landscape. Why do you think he responds in this way?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)