|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where in Black Hawk is Antonia hired to work?
(a) The Burdens' home
(b) The Harlings' home
(c) The Boy's Home Hotel
(d) At the school
2. Why do Antonia and Jim travel to Russian Peter's in Chapter 7?
(a) To borrow a spade
(b) To show the Shimerda children the prairie dog houses.
(c) To deliver a spade
(d) To visit with he and Pavel.
3. How does Jim's grandfather mend relations between the Shimerdas and the Burdens?
(a) He speaks to Mrs. Shimerda.
(b) He hires Ambrosch and Antonia to help him harvest.
(c) He tells Jake he must apologize for hitting Ambrosch.
(d) He forgives Ambrosch for damaging the horse collar.
4. How long has Jim been living with his grandparents at the start of Book 2?
(a) 13 years
(b) 2 years
(c) 1 year
(d) 3 years
5. How does Antonia show her affection for Charley?
(a) By kissing and tickling him
(b) By teaching him to read
(c) By playing with him more than Nina
(d) By making him his favorite treats
Short Answer Questions
1. Who teaches Yulka to read English?
2. What about Antonia does Jim criticize as he dines with her family in Chapter 17?
3. What does Antonia offer Jim when she meets him?
4. How do the narrator and Jim become acquainted?
5. What event occurs that causes Mr. Harling to tell Antonia she cannot attend the dances?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jim's first impressions of the Nebraska landscape. Why do you think he responds in this way?
2. How does Antonia predict the winter will affect her family differently than Jim's?
3. How do the Shimerdas react when the Burdens bring them supplies during the cold winter?
4. What reaction do the Harlings have to Antonia's interest in the dances in the tent?
5. How does the Hardings' household change when Mr. Harling comes home from work?
6. Describe the relationship between the Shimerdas and Krajiek
7. Describe Jim's experiences when he is housebound due to illness
8. Describe Peter and Pavel
9. Retell the story Antonia shares with Jim and the Harlings about the tramp and the thresher
10. What is significant about January 22 in this novel?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)