|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the narrator and Jim become acquainted?
(a) They were both neighbors of Antonia.
(b) They meet on the train.
(c) They grew up in the same town.
(d) The work for the same company in New York.
2. Which of the Harling children helps his/her father with the family business?
3. What does Otto do annually on Christmas day?
(a) Visits the Shimerdas
(b) Writes to his mother
(c) Cleans the horse stables
(d) Decorates the Christmas tree
4. Which of the following is not a quality that Jim believes the town girls possess?
(b) Physical strength
5. What does Jim say he enjoys most about his grandfather reading Christmas prayers?
(a) The sense of spirituality that fills the room
(b) The memories of his parents that he invokes
(c) His choice of prayers
(d) The sound of his voice
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Mr. Harling made his money?
2. Who does Jim credit with planting sunflowers in Nebraska?
3. Where does Antonia consider going to work when the Harlings forbid her to attend the dances?
4. What reputation does the Boys' Home Hotel have?
5. What does Antonia offer Jim when she meets him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Shimerda ask Jim's grandfather to say a prayer during her husband's funeral?
2. What is significant about January 22 in this novel?
3. What does Mr. Shimerda do in the Burdens' home on Christmas that surprises them? Why are they surprised by his action?
4. Compare and contrast the town and city girls (from Jim's point of view).
5. Describe Tiny Soderball's work and living environment
6. What reaction do the Harlings have to Antonia's interest in the dances in the tent?
7. What is a rattlesnake cane? What is its importance for the Burdens?
8. Retell the story Antonia shares with Jim and the Harlings about the tramp and the thresher
9. Why do Jake and Ambrosch come to blows in Chapter 18?
10. What confession does Pavel make to Mr. Shimerda on his death bed?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)