|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tiny often share with Lena?
(a) The room she rents at the hotel
(b) The gifts she receives from men staying at the hotel
(c) The wages she earns working at the hotel
(d) News of the old country
2. Why is Ambrosch delighted when he hears Jake sold a pig in town?
(a) He believes Jake had to sell the pig to pay his fine.
(b) He asked Jake to sell the pig for him.
(c) He thinks Jake will share the proceeds of the sale with him.
(d) He knows Jake has enough money to buy a new horse collar.
3. Which of the Shimerda children is considered most important by his parents?
4. What reputation does the Boys' Home Hotel have?
(a) It is considered the best in the area.
(b) It is considered an elite, high priced establishment.
(c) It is considered a safe place for men, but not women, to stay.
(d) It is considered a seedy hotel.
5. Who helps Ambrosch and Marek treat the horse with colic?
(b) Otto Fuchs
(d) Jim's grandfather
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Jim been living with his grandparents at the start of Book 2?
2. What does Jim's grandfather bring home for him after visiting the Shimerdas on Christmas?
3. To whom are Pavel and Peter indebted?
4. How do the narrator and Jim become acquainted?
5. What does Mr. Shimerda promise to give Jim when he is older?
Short Essay Questions
1. What change in Jim's life occurs in the first chapter of Book 2? How does it affect him?
2. How does the Hardings' household change when Mr. Harling comes home from work?
3. Describe the gifts that Jim and his grandparents give to the Shimerdas for Christmas.
4. What is a rattlesnake cane? What is its importance for the Burdens?
5. What reaction do the Harlings have to Antonia's interest in the dances in the tent?
6. Describe the relationship between the Shimerdas and Krajiek
7. Describe the Harlings.
8. Does Antonia attend school? Why or why not?
9. What change occurs in Black Hawk in the Spring? How does this affect the people living there?
10. How does Antonia predict the winter will affect her family differently than Jim's?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)