|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Otto put on the Christmas tree that attracts everyone's attention?
(a) A photo of his mother
(b) Special ornaments from Austria
(d) Ornaments from the Shimerdas
2. Why does Anton Jelinek believe the Shimerdas are not concerned about having a priest perform Mr. Shimerda's funeral?
(a) They are not Catholics.
(b) They believe he is already in Heaven.
(c) His suicide is an unforgivable sin.
(d) They are not religious.
3. Which of the Harling children is Antonia's favorite?
4. What do the Shimerdas give the Burdens in exchange for the goods they bring during the winter?
(a) Dried mushrooms
(c) A promise of repayment
5. Who visits the Burdens on Christmas day?
(c) The Shimerda family
(d) Mr. Shimerda
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname is Antonia given?
2. How do the Shimerdas react to their difficult living conditions?
3. What event is responsible for the lightened tone at the hotel?
4. What first strikes Jim about the location of his grandparents' home?
5. Why does Jim come to live with his grandparents in the first chapter of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Blind d'Arnault and his journey to become a pianist
2. Retell the story about Lena being responsible for Antonia's feelings about the girl.
3. What is a rattlesnake cane? What is its importance for the Burdens?
4. What confession does Pavel make to Mr. Shimerda on his death bed?
5. What does Mr. Shimerda do in the Burdens' home on Christmas that surprises them? Why are they surprised by his action?
6. How do the Shimerdas react when the Burdens bring them supplies during the cold winter?
7. Describe Antonia's relationship with her father
8. Describe the Harlings.
9. What is significant about January 22 in this novel?
10. Compare and contrast the town and city girls (from Jim's point of view).
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)