|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is suspected of killing Mr. Shimerda?
(c) Wick Cutter
2. Where does Antonia consider going to work when the Harlings forbid her to attend the dances?
(a) In a neighboring town
(b) On her family's farm
(c) For the Burdens
(d) For Wick Cutter
3. How do the narrator and Jim become acquainted?
(a) The work for the same company in New York.
(b) They were both neighbors of Antonia.
(c) They meet on the train.
(d) They grew up in the same town.
4. Which of the following is not a detail about Antonia that Mrs. Steavens shares with the Burdens?
(a) Ambrosch hires Antonia out like a man.
(b) Antonia goes to many dances.
(c) Antonia is a hard worker.
(d) Many of the country people like Antonia.
5. What does Jim's grandfather bring home for him after visiting the Shimerdas on Christmas?
(a) A ring
(b) A Christmas tree
(c) A gift from Antonia
(d) A horse
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Grandmother Burden not teach Antonia?
2. Why does Jim come to live with his grandparents in the first chapter of the book?
3. To whom are Pavel and Peter indebted?
4. How long has Jim been living with his grandparents at the start of Book 2?
5. What possession does Russian Peter value over all others?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Peter and Pavel
2. How is Jim like the Shimerdas as they both travel to Nebraska?
3. Describe Jim's first impressions of the Nebraska landscape. Why do you think he responds in this way?
4. What reaction do the Harlings have to Antonia's interest in the dances in the tent?
5. Describe Blind d'Arnault and his journey to become a pianist
6. Describe the Harlings.
7. Describe Jim's experiences when he is housebound due to illness
8. Describe Jim's encounter with the rattlesnake as he and Antonia return from Russian Peter's
9. What confession does Pavel make to Mr. Shimerda on his death bed?
10. How does the Hardings' household change when Mr. Harling comes home from work?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)