|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Antonia say was found in the pocket of the tramp who died in the thresher?
(a) A suicide note
(b) A poem
(d) A letter from his wife
2. How does Antonia differ from her brother Ambrosch?
(a) Ambrosch is much more social than Anotnia is.
(b) Ambrosch is much harder working than Antonia.
(c) Ambrosch is mean but Antonia is kind.
(d) Antonia is mean but Ambrosch is kind.
3. What misfortune falls upon Pavel in Chapter 8?
(a) Peter moves to another farm.
(b) He is robbed.
(c) He is injured on the job.
(d) He has nightmares.
4. Why does Anton Jelinek believe the Shimerdas are not concerned about having a priest perform Mr. Shimerda's funeral?
(a) They believe he is already in Heaven.
(b) His suicide is an unforgivable sin.
(c) They are not Catholics.
(d) They are not religious.
5. Why are Otto's fellow travelers suspicious of him when he escorts an immigrant woman to the U.S. to meet her husband?
(a) He appears to be in love with the woman.
(b) The woman leaves during the trip.
(c) The woman gives birth to triplets.
(d) He never leaves the woman's side.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Otto do annually on Christmas day?
2. What about Antonia does Jim criticize as he dines with her family in Chapter 17?
3. What one item must all of the Shimerdas share during the winter?
4. To whom does Pavel confess his unpleasant past in Russia?
5. Why does Mrs. Harling disapprove of Tiny Soderball?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Blind d'Arnault and his journey to become a pianist
2. Describe Peter and Pavel
3. How does Mrs. Shimerda act when she and Antonia visit the Burdens after the thaw? How does Jim respond to her?
4. How is Jim like the Shimerdas as they both travel to Nebraska?
5. Describe Jim's first impressions of the Nebraska landscape. Why do you think he responds in this way?
6. What is a rattlesnake cane? What is its importance for the Burdens?
7. Describe the Harlings.
8. Does Antonia attend school? Why or why not?
9. Compare and contrast the town and city girls (from Jim's point of view).
10. What confession does Pavel make to Mr. Shimerda on his death bed?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)