|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who performs Mr. Shimerda's funeral service?
(a) Otto Fuchs
(b) A priest
(c) The coroner
(d) Grandfather Burden and Otto Fuchs
2. Who does Jim credit with planting sunflowers in Nebraska?
(a) The Shimerdas
3. Who does Jim's grandmother hire to help her work in the house during July?
(a) Mrs. Shimerda
4. What is Anton Jelinek's connection with the Shimerda family?
(a) Both are from Austria.
(b) Both are Bohemian.
(c) Both live in Black Hawk.
(d) Both are indebted to Krajiek.
5. Why does Jim come to live with his grandparents in the first chapter of the book?
(a) His parents want him to grow up on a farm.
(b) His parents are unable to care for him.
(c) His parents have passed away.
(d) His parents have divorced.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the Shimerdas remain involved with Krajiek?
2. What does Antonia say was found in the pocket of the tramp who died in the thresher?
3. Why do Jim and his grandparents make Christmas presents for the Shimerdas instead of purchasing them?
4. How do the Shimerdas react to their difficult living conditions?
5. Who sold the Shimerda family their home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast the town and city girls (from Jim's point of view).
2. Describe Antonia's relationship with her father
3. Describe Tiny Soderball's work and living environment
4. What change in Jim's life occurs in the first chapter of Book 2? How does it affect him?
5. Why do the Shimerdas have difficulty getting Mr. Shimerda buried? Where is he ultimately interred?
6. What is a rattlesnake cane? What is its importance for the Burdens?
7. Retell the story about Lena being responsible for Antonia's feelings about the girl.
8. Describe the Shimerda family (as they are introduced in Chapter 3)
9. Retell the story Antonia shares with Jim and the Harlings about the tramp and the thresher
10. Why does Mrs. Shimerda ask Jim's grandfather to say a prayer during her husband's funeral?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)