|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Shimerda promise to give Jim when he is older?
(a) Fatherly advice
(b) His gun
(c) Antonia's hand in marriage
(d) His farm
2. What event is responsible for the lightened tone at the hotel?
(a) Tiny is promoted to the manager position.
(b) Jim and Antonia visit the hotel.
(c) The manager is out of town.
(d) The country girls are in town.
3. What act does Jim perform that makes him a hero in Antonia's eyes?
(a) He teaches her to read.
(b) He catches a prairie dog.
(c) He rescues her brother.
(d) He kills a rattlesnake.
4. Which of the following is not a quality that Jim believes the country girls possess?
(a) Devotion to work
(c) Devotion to family
(d) Physical strength
5. Why do the three Marys often have to leave town?
(a) They are suspected of becoming pregnant.
(b) They help other immigrants in the area.
(c) Their families live in neighboring towns.
(d) They are itinerant farm workers.
6. What does Jim's grandmother warn him to watch for when he is in her garden?
(a) Poisonous plants
7. Who does Jim often run into when he is in downtown Black Hawk?
(d) Mr. Harling
8. What does Jim tell the narrator of the introduction?
(a) He dislikes his wife.
(b) He plans to move back to Nebraska.
(c) He has been writing down his memories of Antonia.
(d) He was secretly in love with Antonia.
9. Where does Antonia consider going to work when the Harlings forbid her to attend the dances?
(a) On her family's farm
(b) For the Burdens
(c) In a neighboring town
(d) For Wick Cutter
10. What does Jake find under the manger in the barn where Mr. Shimerda's body is found?
(a) Grandfather Burden's ax
(c) A gun
(d) Krajiek's ax
11. What do the Shimerdas give the Burdens in exchange for the goods they bring during the winter?
(a) A promise of repayment
(c) Dried mushrooms
12. Who does Jim's grandmother hire to help her work in the house during July?
(b) Mrs. Shimerda
13. Where is Mr. Shimerda's body buried?
(a) In Bohemia
(b) In a cemetery
(c) At the corner of the family's lot of land
(d) On the Burdens' farm
14. What gift do Jim's grandparents give him when he comes to live with them?
(a) A wagon
(b) A rattlesnake cane
(c) A pony
(d) A bicycle
15. Antonia confides to Jim that her father is _______________
(a) mentally ill.
(b) dangerous and unpredictable.
(c) cruel and unforgiving.
(d) deeply sad.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Otto put on the Christmas tree that attracts everyone's attention?
2. What does Jim say he enjoys most about his grandfather reading Christmas prayers?
3. Which of the following is not a topic of complaint by Mrs. Shimerda in Chapter 17?
4. What reputation does the Boys' Home Hotel have?
5. Whose visit to Black Hawk breaks up the monotony of the winter for Jim?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)