|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who sold the Shimerda family their home?
(a) The Burdens
(b) Jim's grandparents
(d) Otto Fuchs
2. What about Antonia does Jim criticize as he dines with her family in Chapter 17?
(a) Her sense of humor
(b) Her attitude
(c) Her manners
(d) Her ability to speak English
3. Which of the Shimerdas did not want to immigrate to the United States?
(c) Mrs. Shimerda
(d) Mr. Shimerda
4. What act does Jim perform that makes him a hero in Antonia's eyes?
(a) He catches a prairie dog.
(b) He teaches her to read.
(c) He kills a rattlesnake.
(d) He rescues her brother.
5. How does Antonia react to the dances in town?
(a) She believes they are immoral.
(b) She regularly attends the dances.
(c) She is ambivalent towards the dances.
(d) She rarely attends the dances.
6. Antonia confides to Jim that her father is _______________
(a) dangerous and unpredictable.
(b) deeply sad.
(c) mentally ill.
(d) cruel and unforgiving.
7. Whose visit to Black Hawk breaks up the monotony of the winter for Jim?
(a) Blind d'Arnault's
(d) A friend from Virginia's
8. What does Antonia offer Jim when she meets him?
(a) Help on the farm
(b) Her friendship
(c) Her ring
(d) Wild mushrooms
9. What first strikes Jim about the location of his grandparents' home?
(a) There are many immigrants living in the area.
(b) The farm is extremely quiet.
(c) There is land as far as the eye can see.
(d) There are few trees in the area.
10. Who does Antonia tell that Jim tried to kill Lena back in Bohemia?
(a) Wick Cutter
(c) Ole Benson's wife
(d) Mrs. Shimerda
11. How does Jim's grandfather mend relations between the Shimerdas and the Burdens?
(a) He hires Ambrosch and Antonia to help him harvest.
(b) He speaks to Mrs. Shimerda.
(c) He forgives Ambrosch for damaging the horse collar.
(d) He tells Jake he must apologize for hitting Ambrosch.
12. How does Antonia differ from her brother Ambrosch?
(a) Ambrosch is mean but Antonia is kind.
(b) Ambrosch is much harder working than Antonia.
(c) Ambrosch is much more social than Anotnia is.
(d) Antonia is mean but Ambrosch is kind.
13. What does Jim tell the narrator of the introduction?
(a) He was secretly in love with Antonia.
(b) He has been writing down his memories of Antonia.
(c) He dislikes his wife.
(d) He plans to move back to Nebraska.
14. Who does Jim credit with planting sunflowers in Nebraska?
(d) The Shimerdas
15. What gift do Jim's grandparents give him when he comes to live with them?
(a) A pony
(b) A rattlesnake cane
(c) A bicycle
(d) A wagon
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Jim and his grandparents make Christmas presents for the Shimerdas instead of purchasing them?
2. What does Antonia tell Jim about her father when she and her mother come to visit the Burdens after the winter thaw?
3. How has Mr. Harling made his money?
4. Who does Jim's grandfather believe killed Mr. Shimerda?
5. Why do the three Marys often have to leave town?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)