|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Jim and Jake go to pick up from Ambrosch in Chapter 18?
(a) A horse collar
(b) A wagon
(c) An ax
(d) A cow
2. What does Jake find under the manger in the barn where Mr. Shimerda's body is found?
(a) Grandfather Burden's ax
(b) A gun
(c) Krajiek's ax
3. What becomes of Peter when Pavel passes away?
(a) He moves in with the Shimerdas.
(b) He goes to work for the railroad.
(c) He returns to Russia.
(d) He also dies.
4. What reputation does the Boys' Home Hotel have?
(a) It is considered a safe place for men, but not women, to stay.
(b) It is considered an elite, high priced establishment.
(c) It is considered a seedy hotel.
(d) It is considered the best in the area.
5. Who does Antonia tell that Jim tried to kill Lena back in Bohemia?
(a) Mrs. Shimerda
(b) Wick Cutter
(c) Ole Benson's wife
6. What misfortune falls upon Pavel in Chapter 8?
(a) He is injured on the job.
(b) He has nightmares.
(c) Peter moves to another farm.
(d) He is robbed.
7. Whose visit to Black Hawk breaks up the monotony of the winter for Jim?
(a) A friend from Virginia's
(d) Blind d'Arnault's
8. Where does Jim believe Mr. Shimerda's spirit goes after he dies?
(a) To live above the Burdens' home
(b) To Heaven
(c) Back to Germany
(d) Into Purgatory
9. What does Jim's grandfather bring home for him after visiting the Shimerdas on Christmas?
(a) A Christmas tree
(b) A horse
(c) A gift from Antonia
(d) A ring
10. Who teaches Yulka to read English?
(d) Grandmother Burden
11. Who helps Ambrosch and Marek treat the horse with colic?
(b) Otto Fuchs
(d) Jim's grandfather
12. Why does Jim think Antonia acts superior to him?
(a) She believes she is smarter than he is.
(b) She believes females are superior to males.
(c) She is older than he is.
(d) She is from a different culture than he is.
13. What possession does Russian Peter value over all others?
(a) His plough
(b) His horse
(c) His home
(d) His cow
14. Who visits the Burdens on Christmas day?
(a) The Shimerda family
(d) Mr. Shimerda
15. Who entertains Jim when he is forced to stay indoors because of illness?
(c) Otto Fuchs
(d) Grandfather Burden
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jake have to pay a fine?
2. Where does Antonia consider going to work when the Harlings forbid her to attend the dances?
3. Where does Jim live as an adult?
4. Who does Jim often run into when he is in downtown Black Hawk?
5. Why do Antonia and Jim travel to Russian Peter's in Chapter 7?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)