|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jim say he enjoys most about his grandfather reading Christmas prayers?
(a) The sense of spirituality that fills the room
(b) His choice of prayers
(c) The memories of his parents that he invokes
(d) The sound of his voice
2. Why does Mrs. Harling disapprove of Tiny Soderball?
(a) She does not like country girls.
(b) She does not approve of working women.
(c) She believes working at a hotel is inappropriate for a woman.
(d) She has a reputation for being flirtatious.
3. What misfortune falls upon Pavel in Chapter 8?
(a) He is robbed.
(b) He is injured on the job.
(c) He has nightmares.
(d) Peter moves to another farm.
4. Which of the following is not a topic of complaint by Mrs. Shimerda in Chapter 17?
(a) Mr. Shimerda's death
(b) A broken ax.
(c) Accusations against Ambrosch
(d) The cow Grandfather Burden sold her.
5. How do the narrator and Jim become acquainted?
(a) They meet on the train.
(b) The work for the same company in New York.
(c) They grew up in the same town.
(d) They were both neighbors of Antonia.
6. Which of the following is not a quality that Jim believes the country girls possess?
(b) Devotion to family
(c) Physical strength
(d) Devotion to work
7. Who entertains Jim when he is forced to stay indoors because of illness?
(a) Otto Fuchs
(b) Grandfather Burden
8. Why are Otto's fellow travelers suspicious of him when he escorts an immigrant woman to the U.S. to meet her husband?
(a) The woman gives birth to triplets.
(b) He appears to be in love with the woman.
(c) The woman leaves during the trip.
(d) He never leaves the woman's side.
9. Who helps Ambrosch and Marek treat the horse with colic?
(c) Jim's grandfather
(d) Otto Fuchs
10. What reputation does the Boys' Home Hotel have?
(a) It is considered the best in the area.
(b) It is considered an elite, high priced establishment.
(c) It is considered a safe place for men, but not women, to stay.
(d) It is considered a seedy hotel.
11. How does Lena feel when her brother leaves Black Hawk after a visit?
12. Why do Antonia and Jim travel to Russian Peter's in Chapter 7?
(a) To show the Shimerda children the prairie dog houses.
(b) To deliver a spade
(c) To borrow a spade
(d) To visit with he and Pavel.
13. Where does Antonia consider going to work when the Harlings forbid her to attend the dances?
(a) On her family's farm
(b) In a neighboring town
(c) For the Burdens
(d) For Wick Cutter
14. Who does Antonia tell that Jim tried to kill Lena back in Bohemia?
(a) Wick Cutter
(c) Ole Benson's wife
(d) Mrs. Shimerda
15. Why is Ambrosch delighted when he hears Jake sold a pig in town?
(a) He knows Jake has enough money to buy a new horse collar.
(b) He believes Jake had to sell the pig to pay his fine.
(c) He asked Jake to sell the pig for him.
(d) He thinks Jake will share the proceeds of the sale with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jim credit with planting sunflowers in Nebraska?
2. Who teaches Yulka to read English?
3. What does Otto put on the Christmas tree that attracts everyone's attention?
4. What is Anton Jelinek's connection with the Shimerda family?
5. What possession does Russian Peter value over all others?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)