|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not a regular occurrence in the evenings at the Harling house?
(a) The family gathers in the parlor.
(b) Antonia tells stories of Bohemia.
(c) The family gathers in the kitchen.
(d) Antonia bakes treats for the family and visitors.
2. What reputation does the Boys' Home Hotel have?
(a) It is considered an elite, high priced establishment.
(b) It is considered a safe place for men, but not women, to stay.
(c) It is considered a seedy hotel.
(d) It is considered the best in the area.
3. What event is responsible for the lightened tone at the hotel?
(a) The country girls are in town.
(b) The manager is out of town.
(c) Tiny is promoted to the manager position.
(d) Jim and Antonia visit the hotel.
4. What is Mrs. Harling's only complaint about Antonia's work?
(a) She stops working to play with the children.
(b) She visits with Jim too often.
(c) She does too good of a job.
(d) She is sometimes late to work.
5. What does Antonia offer Jim when she meets him?
(a) Help on the farm
(b) Her friendship
(c) Her ring
(d) Wild mushrooms
6. Who does Antonia tell that Jim tried to kill Lena back in Bohemia?
(b) Mrs. Shimerda
(c) Wick Cutter
(d) Ole Benson's wife
7. Why does Lena Lingard's presence at the Harlings' home make Antonia uncomfortable?
(a) Lena has a reputation for being a vixen.
(b) Lena has a reputation for being sexually promiscuous.
(c) Antonia wants to have no ties to her former country.
(d) Lena is much more beautiful than Antonia is.
8. How did Blind d'Arnault's mother react to his blindness?
(a) She was angry.
(b) She helped him function as if he was sighted.
(c) She was supportive of him.
(d) She was ashamed.
9. Where does Jim live as an adult?
(b) New York
10. Why does Anton Jelinek believe the Shimerdas are not concerned about having a priest perform Mr. Shimerda's funeral?
(a) They are not Catholics.
(b) They believe he is already in Heaven.
(c) His suicide is an unforgivable sin.
(d) They are not religious.
11. Who does Jim's grandfather believe killed Mr. Shimerda?
(b) Mr. Shimerda
(d) Wick Cutter
12. What do Jim and Jake go to pick up from Ambrosch in Chapter 18?
(a) A cow
(b) A horse collar
(c) An ax
(d) A wagon
13. Why does Mrs. Harling disapprove of Tiny Soderball?
(a) She believes working at a hotel is inappropriate for a woman.
(b) She has a reputation for being flirtatious.
(c) She does not like country girls.
(d) She does not approve of working women.
14. Which of the Harling children is Antonia's favorite?
15. Where do Otto and Jake go when the Burdens sell their farm?
(a) To work on another farm
(b) Back to the Wild West
(c) Back to Germany
(d) They move into Black Hawk with the Burdens.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Otto do annually on Christmas day?
2. What does Tiny often share with Lena?
3. Which of the Shimerda children is considered most important by his parents?
4. Where in Black Hawk is Antonia hired to work?
5. Who visits the Burdens on Christmas day?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)