|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the Shimerdas remain involved with Krajiek?
(a) They come from the same country.
(b) They look up to him.
(c) They trust him.
(d) They rely on him to teach them about the US.
2. To whom does Pavel confess his unpleasant past in Russia?
(a) Mr. Shimerda
(d) Otto Fuchs
3. What possession does Russian Peter value over all others?
(a) His horse
(b) His home
(c) His cow
(d) His plough
4. Which of the Shimerdas did not want to immigrate to the United States?
(b) Mr. Shimerda
(c) Mrs. Shimerda
5. Where does Jim believe Mr. Shimerda's spirit goes after he dies?
(a) Back to Germany
(b) To live above the Burdens' home
(c) Into Purgatory
(d) To Heaven
6. How do the narrator and Jim become acquainted?
(a) They meet on the train.
(b) They grew up in the same town.
(c) The work for the same company in New York.
(d) They were both neighbors of Antonia.
7. Who teaches Yulka to read English?
(b) Grandmother Burden
8. How does Antonia react to the dances in town?
(a) She is ambivalent towards the dances.
(b) She regularly attends the dances.
(c) She rarely attends the dances.
(d) She believes they are immoral.
9. Why does Anton Jelinek believe the Shimerdas are not concerned about having a priest perform Mr. Shimerda's funeral?
(a) They are not religious.
(b) They are not Catholics.
(c) They believe he is already in Heaven.
(d) His suicide is an unforgivable sin.
10. Who sold the Shimerda family their home?
(a) Jim's grandparents
(b) The Burdens
(d) Otto Fuchs
11. Who sponsors the dance tent in Black Hawk?
(a) The Harlings
(b) The Vannis
(c) Wick Cutter
(d) The Burdens
12. What do the Shimerdas give the Burdens in exchange for the goods they bring during the winter?
(b) Dried mushrooms
(c) A promise of repayment
13. How does Antonia differ from her brother Ambrosch?
(a) Ambrosch is much more social than Anotnia is.
(b) Antonia is mean but Ambrosch is kind.
(c) Ambrosch is much harder working than Antonia.
(d) Ambrosch is mean but Antonia is kind.
14. What is Mrs. Harling's only complaint about Antonia's work?
(a) She stops working to play with the children.
(b) She does too good of a job.
(c) She is sometimes late to work.
(d) She visits with Jim too often.
15. Where in Black Hawk is Antonia hired to work?
(a) The Harlings' home
(b) The Boy's Home Hotel
(c) The Burdens' home
(d) At the school
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jim say he enjoys most about his grandfather reading Christmas prayers?
2. What nickname is Antonia given?
3. Who performs Mr. Shimerda's funeral service?
4. What about Antonia does Jim criticize as he dines with her family in Chapter 17?
5. Who does Jim often run into when he is in downtown Black Hawk?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)