|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Otto put on the Christmas tree that attracts everyone's attention?
(b) A photo of his mother
(c) Ornaments from the Shimerdas
(d) Special ornaments from Austria
2. What do Jim and Jake go to pick up from Ambrosch in Chapter 18?
(a) An ax
(b) A cow
(c) A wagon
(d) A horse collar
3. How do the Shimerdas react to their difficult living conditions?
(a) They shut themselves off from the community.
(b) They never complain.
(c) They ask the Burdens to help them.
(d) The complain constantly.
4. How did Blind d'Arnault's mother react to his blindness?
(a) She was angry.
(b) She was ashamed.
(c) She helped him function as if he was sighted.
(d) She was supportive of him.
5. Who sold the Shimerda family their home?
(b) The Burdens
(c) Jim's grandparents
(d) Otto Fuchs
6. Which of the following is not a quality that Jim believes the country girls possess?
(b) Physical strength
(c) Devotion to family
(d) Devotion to work
7. Who does Jim's grandmother hire to help her work in the house during July?
(c) Mrs. Shimerda
8. How do the narrator and Jim become acquainted?
(a) They were both neighbors of Antonia.
(b) They grew up in the same town.
(c) They meet on the train.
(d) The work for the same company in New York.
9. What one item must all of the Shimerdas share during the winter?
(a) A blanket
(b) A dish
(c) A coat
(d) A bed
10. What nickname is Antonia given?
11. What is Mrs. Harling's only complaint about Antonia's work?
(a) She does too good of a job.
(b) She visits with Jim too often.
(c) She is sometimes late to work.
(d) She stops working to play with the children.
12. What is Anton Jelinek's connection with the Shimerda family?
(a) Both live in Black Hawk.
(b) Both are from Austria.
(c) Both are Bohemian.
(d) Both are indebted to Krajiek.
13. Who does Jim often run into when he is in downtown Black Hawk?
(d) Mr. Harling
14. Where does Jim believe Mr. Shimerda's spirit goes after he dies?
(a) To Heaven
(b) To live above the Burdens' home
(c) Back to Germany
(d) Into Purgatory
15. Who does Jim's grandfather believe killed Mr. Shimerda?
(a) Mr. Shimerda
(b) Wick Cutter
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Shimerdas give the Burdens in exchange for the goods they bring during the winter?
2. What gift do Jim's grandparents give him when he comes to live with them?
3. Which of the following is not a quality that Jim believes the town girls possess?
4. Where does Antonia consider going to work when the Harlings forbid her to attend the dances?
5. Why do the three Marys often have to leave town?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)