|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Otto and Jake go when the Burdens sell their farm?
(a) Back to the Wild West
(b) They move into Black Hawk with the Burdens.
(c) Back to Germany
(d) To work on another farm
2. Why does Jim think Antonia acts superior to him?
(a) She believes females are superior to males.
(b) She is older than he is.
(c) She believes she is smarter than he is.
(d) She is from a different culture than he is.
3. Which of the Shimerdas did not want to immigrate to the United States?
(c) Mr. Shimerda
(d) Mrs. Shimerda
4. Which of the following does NOT characterize Jim's grandparents?
5. Who does Jim credit with planting sunflowers in Nebraska?
(c) The Shimerdas
6. Who helps Ambrosch and Marek treat the horse with colic?
(a) Otto Fuchs
(d) Jim's grandfather
7. Why does Anton Jelinek believe the Shimerdas are not concerned about having a priest perform Mr. Shimerda's funeral?
(a) They are not religious.
(b) They are not Catholics.
(c) They believe he is already in Heaven.
(d) His suicide is an unforgivable sin.
8. What does Otto do annually on Christmas day?
(a) Cleans the horse stables
(b) Writes to his mother
(c) Decorates the Christmas tree
(d) Visits the Shimerdas
9. What does Antonia say was found in the pocket of the tramp who died in the thresher?
(a) A letter from his wife
(c) A suicide note
(d) A poem
10. Who teaches Yulka to read English?
(c) Grandmother Burden
11. Which of the following is not a regular occurrence in the evenings at the Harling house?
(a) The family gathers in the kitchen.
(b) The family gathers in the parlor.
(c) Antonia tells stories of Bohemia.
(d) Antonia bakes treats for the family and visitors.
12. Who sold the Shimerda family their home?
(a) Jim's grandparents
(c) The Burdens
(d) Otto Fuchs
13. What does Jim's grandmother warn him to watch for when he is in her garden?
(d) Poisonous plants
14. What does Jim's grandfather bring home for him after visiting the Shimerdas on Christmas?
(a) A gift from Antonia
(b) A Christmas tree
(c) A horse
(d) A ring
15. What does Jim tell the narrator of the introduction?
(a) He was secretly in love with Antonia.
(b) He plans to move back to Nebraska.
(c) He has been writing down his memories of Antonia.
(d) He dislikes his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a topic of complaint by Mrs. Shimerda in Chapter 17?
2. Why does Mrs. Harling disapprove of Tiny Soderball?
3. Where does Jim live as an adult?
4. What about Antonia does Jim criticize as he dines with her family in Chapter 17?
5. What do the Shimerdas give the Burdens in exchange for the goods they bring during the winter?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)