|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many days pass before Mr. Shimerda's body is buried?
2. Why do Antonia and Jim travel to Russian Peter's in Chapter 7?
(a) To show the Shimerda children the prairie dog houses.
(b) To visit with he and Pavel.
(c) To borrow a spade
(d) To deliver a spade
3. Who performs Mr. Shimerda's funeral service?
(a) Otto Fuchs
(b) Grandfather Burden and Otto Fuchs
(c) A priest
(d) The coroner
4. Whose visit to Black Hawk breaks up the monotony of the winter for Jim?
(a) A friend from Virginia's
(b) Blind d'Arnault's
5. What does Jim say he enjoys most about his grandfather reading Christmas prayers?
(a) His choice of prayers
(b) The sense of spirituality that fills the room
(c) The memories of his parents that he invokes
(d) The sound of his voice
6. What act does Jim perform that makes him a hero in Antonia's eyes?
(a) He kills a rattlesnake.
(b) He rescues her brother.
(c) He catches a prairie dog.
(d) He teaches her to read.
7. How has Mr. Harling made his money?
(a) He is a cattle buyer and grain merchant.
(b) He is a cattle buyer.
(c) He is the owner of a general store.
(d) He is a grain merchant.
8. What does Jim's grandmother warn him to watch for when he is in her garden?
(b) Poisonous plants
9. Why do Jim and his grandparents make Christmas presents for the Shimerdas instead of purchasing them?
(a) The Burdens cannot afford to purchase presents.
(b) They know the Shimerdas prefer handmade gifts.
(c) The family is snowed in and cannot get to the store.
(d) They do not want to appear pretentious to the Shimerdas.
10. How does Antonia react to the dances in town?
(a) She regularly attends the dances.
(b) She is ambivalent towards the dances.
(c) She believes they are immoral.
(d) She rarely attends the dances.
11. Why does Mrs. Harling disapprove of Tiny Soderball?
(a) She believes working at a hotel is inappropriate for a woman.
(b) She does not approve of working women.
(c) She does not like country girls.
(d) She has a reputation for being flirtatious.
12. How do the Shimerdas react to their difficult living conditions?
(a) They shut themselves off from the community.
(b) The complain constantly.
(c) They ask the Burdens to help them.
(d) They never complain.
13. What does Jim tell the narrator of the introduction?
(a) He was secretly in love with Antonia.
(b) He has been writing down his memories of Antonia.
(c) He dislikes his wife.
(d) He plans to move back to Nebraska.
14. Who does Jim's grandfather believe killed Mr. Shimerda?
(c) Wick Cutter
(d) Mr. Shimerda
15. What do the Shimerdas give the Burdens in exchange for the goods they bring during the winter?
(a) Dried mushrooms
(c) A promise of repayment
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Antonia offer Jim when she meets him?
2. Which of the Shimerdas did not want to immigrate to the United States?
3. What event is responsible for the lightened tone at the hotel?
4. What impact do the dances in Black Hawk have on the townspeople?
5. Which of the following is not a regular occurrence in the evenings at the Harling house?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)