|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gift do Jim's grandparents give him when he comes to live with them?
(a) A rattlesnake cane
(b) A bicycle
(c) A pony
(d) A wagon
2. What does Antonia tell Jim about her father when she and her mother come to visit the Burdens after the winter thaw?
(a) Her father is not doing well.
(b) Her father used to be a violinist.
(c) Her father plans to kill himself.
(d) Her father does not love her mother.
3. Which of the Shimerda children is considered most important by his parents?
4. To whom does Pavel confess his unpleasant past in Russia?
(b) Otto Fuchs
(d) Mr. Shimerda
5. Who teaches Yulka to read English?
(d) Grandmother Burden
6. What impact do the dances in Black Hawk have on the townspeople?
(a) The community protests the dances.
(b) The community is ambivalent about the dances.
(c) The dance tent becomes the social center of town.
(d) The dance tent encourages immoral behavior.
7. Who helps Ambrosch and Marek treat the horse with colic?
(a) Jim's grandfather
(b) Otto Fuchs
8. What act does Jim perform that makes him a hero in Antonia's eyes?
(a) He teaches her to read.
(b) He kills a rattlesnake.
(c) He rescues her brother.
(d) He catches a prairie dog.
9. What reputation does the Boys' Home Hotel have?
(a) It is considered a seedy hotel.
(b) It is considered an elite, high priced establishment.
(c) It is considered a safe place for men, but not women, to stay.
(d) It is considered the best in the area.
10. What does Jake find under the manger in the barn where Mr. Shimerda's body is found?
(a) Krajiek's ax
(c) A gun
(d) Grandfather Burden's ax
11. Where is Mr. Shimerda's body buried?
(a) In a cemetery
(b) On the Burdens' farm
(c) In Bohemia
(d) At the corner of the family's lot of land
12. How does Antonia differ from her brother Ambrosch?
(a) Ambrosch is much more social than Anotnia is.
(b) Ambrosch is mean but Antonia is kind.
(c) Ambrosch is much harder working than Antonia.
(d) Antonia is mean but Ambrosch is kind.
13. Which of the following does Grandmother Burden not teach Antonia?
(b) To cook
(c) To read English
(d) Basic math
14. What does Tiny often share with Lena?
(a) News of the old country
(b) The gifts she receives from men staying at the hotel
(c) The room she rents at the hotel
(d) The wages she earns working at the hotel
15. How did Blind d'Arnault's mother react to his blindness?
(a) She was supportive of him.
(b) She was ashamed.
(c) She was angry.
(d) She helped him function as if he was sighted.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Ambrosch delighted when he hears Jake sold a pig in town?
2. What is Mrs. Harling's only complaint about Antonia's work?
3. Who is suspected of killing Mr. Shimerda?
4. What is Blind d'Arnault's talent?
5. What first strikes Jim about the location of his grandparents' home?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)