|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not a detail about Antonia that Mrs. Steavens shares with the Burdens?
(a) Antonia is a hard worker.
(b) Many of the country people like Antonia.
(c) Ambrosch hires Antonia out like a man.
(d) Antonia goes to many dances.
2. What reputation does the Boys' Home Hotel have?
(a) It is considered a safe place for men, but not women, to stay.
(b) It is considered a seedy hotel.
(c) It is considered an elite, high priced establishment.
(d) It is considered the best in the area.
3. Where does Antonia consider going to work when the Harlings forbid her to attend the dances?
(a) On her family's farm
(b) For the Burdens
(c) In a neighboring town
(d) For Wick Cutter
4. What about Antonia does Jim criticize as he dines with her family in Chapter 17?
(a) Her attitude
(b) Her sense of humor
(c) Her manners
(d) Her ability to speak English
5. Why do the Shimerdas remain involved with Krajiek?
(a) They come from the same country.
(b) They rely on him to teach them about the US.
(c) They look up to him.
(d) They trust him.
6. To whom are Pavel and Peter indebted?
(a) The Burdens
(b) The Shimerdas
(d) Wick Cutter
7. How many days pass before Mr. Shimerda's body is buried?
8. Which of the following is not a regular occurrence in the evenings at the Harling house?
(a) Antonia bakes treats for the family and visitors.
(b) The family gathers in the parlor.
(c) Antonia tells stories of Bohemia.
(d) The family gathers in the kitchen.
9. Who does Jim credit with planting sunflowers in Nebraska?
(a) The Shimerdas
10. How does Antonia show her affection for Charley?
(a) By making him his favorite treats
(b) By playing with him more than Nina
(c) By teaching him to read
(d) By kissing and tickling him
11. What does Mr. Shimerda promise to give Jim when he is older?
(a) Fatherly advice
(b) His gun
(c) Antonia's hand in marriage
(d) His farm
12. Why does Jim come to live with his grandparents in the first chapter of the book?
(a) His parents want him to grow up on a farm.
(b) His parents have passed away.
(c) His parents are unable to care for him.
(d) His parents have divorced.
13. Who does Antonia tell that Jim tried to kill Lena back in Bohemia?
(b) Mrs. Shimerda
(c) Wick Cutter
(d) Ole Benson's wife
14. What does Mr. Shimerda ask Jim's grandmother to do?
(a) Help his wife set up their home
(b) Teach all of his children to speak and read English
(c) Agree to allow Antonia to marry Jim
(d) Teach Antonia to speak and read English
15. What one item must all of the Shimerdas share during the winter?
(a) A coat
(b) A blanket
(c) A bed
(d) A dish
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the Shimerdas did not want to immigrate to the United States?
2. How do the Shimerdas react to their difficult living conditions?
3. Why does Jake have to pay a fine?
4. Why does Jim think Antonia acts superior to him?
5. What impact do the dances in Black Hawk have on the townspeople?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)