|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jim's grandmother warn him to watch for when he is in her garden?
(c) Poisonous plants
2. What does Mr. Shimerda ask Jim's grandmother to do?
(a) Teach all of his children to speak and read English
(b) Agree to allow Antonia to marry Jim
(c) Teach Antonia to speak and read English
(d) Help his wife set up their home
3. What does Jim say he enjoys most about his grandfather reading Christmas prayers?
(a) The memories of his parents that he invokes
(b) The sense of spirituality that fills the room
(c) His choice of prayers
(d) The sound of his voice
4. How many days pass before Mr. Shimerda's body is buried?
5. What does Mr. Shimerda promise to give Jim when he is older?
(a) Antonia's hand in marriage
(b) Fatherly advice
(c) His farm
(d) His gun
6. How do the Shimerdas react to their difficult living conditions?
(a) They ask the Burdens to help them.
(b) The complain constantly.
(c) They shut themselves off from the community.
(d) They never complain.
7. Where in Black Hawk is Antonia hired to work?
(a) The Boy's Home Hotel
(b) The Harlings' home
(c) At the school
(d) The Burdens' home
8. What event occurs that causes Mr. Harling to tell Antonia she cannot attend the dances?
(a) A boy tries to kiss Antonia so she slaps him.
(b) People in town begin to speak negatively about Antonia.
(c) Antonia becomes pregnant.
(d) Antonia brings a boy to the Harlings after a dance.
9. Which of the Harling children helps his/her father with the family business?
10. How has Mr. Harling made his money?
(a) He is a grain merchant.
(b) He is a cattle buyer.
(c) He is the owner of a general store.
(d) He is a cattle buyer and grain merchant.
11. To whom does Pavel confess his unpleasant past in Russia?
(a) Otto Fuchs
(c) Mr. Shimerda
12. Why does Anton Jelinek believe the Shimerdas are not concerned about having a priest perform Mr. Shimerda's funeral?
(a) They are not religious.
(b) They believe he is already in Heaven.
(c) They are not Catholics.
(d) His suicide is an unforgivable sin.
13. What rumor about Pavel circulates in the community?
(a) He is a fugitive from the law.
(b) He is an anarchist.
(c) He is an illegal immigrant.
(d) He left his wife to come to the United States.
14. What nickname is Antonia given?
15. What does Antonia offer Jim when she meets him?
(a) Wild mushrooms
(b) Her ring
(c) Her friendship
(d) Help on the farm
Short Answer Questions
1. Who accompanies Jim on his train trip to Nebraska in Chapter 1?
2. Which of the Harling children is Antonia's favorite?
3. What reputation does the Boys' Home Hotel have?
4. What does Jim tell the narrator of the introduction?
5. What gift do Jim's grandparents give him when he comes to live with them?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)