|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Antonia and Jim travel to Russian Peter's in Chapter 7?
(a) To show the Shimerda children the prairie dog houses.
(b) To borrow a spade
(c) To deliver a spade
(d) To visit with he and Pavel.
2. How did Blind d'Arnault's mother react to his blindness?
(a) She was ashamed.
(b) She was angry.
(c) She helped him function as if he was sighted.
(d) She was supportive of him.
3. To whom are Pavel and Peter indebted?
(a) The Burdens
(b) The Shimerdas
(d) Wick Cutter
4. What does Jim's grandfather bring home for him after visiting the Shimerdas on Christmas?
(a) A gift from Antonia
(b) A Christmas tree
(c) A ring
(d) A horse
5. What act does Jim perform that makes him a hero in Antonia's eyes?
(a) He teaches her to read.
(b) He kills a rattlesnake.
(c) He catches a prairie dog.
(d) He rescues her brother.
6. How do the Shimerdas react to their difficult living conditions?
(a) They ask the Burdens to help them.
(b) The complain constantly.
(c) They never complain.
(d) They shut themselves off from the community.
7. Where does Antonia consider going to work when the Harlings forbid her to attend the dances?
(a) For Wick Cutter
(b) In a neighboring town
(c) On her family's farm
(d) For the Burdens
8. What event occurs that causes Mr. Harling to tell Antonia she cannot attend the dances?
(a) Antonia brings a boy to the Harlings after a dance.
(b) People in town begin to speak negatively about Antonia.
(c) A boy tries to kiss Antonia so she slaps him.
(d) Antonia becomes pregnant.
9. How does Jim's grandfather mend relations between the Shimerdas and the Burdens?
(a) He forgives Ambrosch for damaging the horse collar.
(b) He speaks to Mrs. Shimerda.
(c) He hires Ambrosch and Antonia to help him harvest.
(d) He tells Jake he must apologize for hitting Ambrosch.
10. How does Antonia differ from her brother Ambrosch?
(a) Ambrosch is mean but Antonia is kind.
(b) Ambrosch is much more social than Anotnia is.
(c) Antonia is mean but Ambrosch is kind.
(d) Ambrosch is much harder working than Antonia.
11. Why do Jim and his grandparents make Christmas presents for the Shimerdas instead of purchasing them?
(a) The Burdens cannot afford to purchase presents.
(b) The family is snowed in and cannot get to the store.
(c) They know the Shimerdas prefer handmade gifts.
(d) They do not want to appear pretentious to the Shimerdas.
12. Why do the Shimerdas remain involved with Krajiek?
(a) They rely on him to teach them about the US.
(b) They come from the same country.
(c) They look up to him.
(d) They trust him.
13. Antonia confides to Jim that her father is _______________
(a) dangerous and unpredictable.
(b) cruel and unforgiving.
(c) mentally ill.
(d) deeply sad.
14. How do the narrator and Jim become acquainted?
(a) They meet on the train.
(b) They grew up in the same town.
(c) The work for the same company in New York.
(d) They were both neighbors of Antonia.
15. What reputation does the Boys' Home Hotel have?
(a) It is considered the best in the area.
(b) It is considered an elite, high priced establishment.
(c) It is considered a seedy hotel.
(d) It is considered a safe place for men, but not women, to stay.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a topic of complaint by Mrs. Shimerda in Chapter 17?
2. Why are Otto's fellow travelers suspicious of him when he escorts an immigrant woman to the U.S. to meet her husband?
3. What first strikes Jim about the location of his grandparents' home?
4. Which of the Shimerda children is considered most important by his parents?
5. To whom does Pavel confess his unpleasant past in Russia?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)