|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Otto do annually on Christmas day?
(a) Visits the Shimerdas
(b) Cleans the horse stables
(c) Writes to his mother
(d) Decorates the Christmas tree
2. Which of the following is not a detail about Antonia that Mrs. Steavens shares with the Burdens?
(a) Ambrosch hires Antonia out like a man.
(b) Many of the country people like Antonia.
(c) Antonia is a hard worker.
(d) Antonia goes to many dances.
3. To whom are Pavel and Peter indebted?
(a) The Shimerdas
(b) The Burdens
(c) Wick Cutter
4. To whom does Pavel confess his unpleasant past in Russia?
(a) Mr. Shimerda
(d) Otto Fuchs
5. Why does Jake have to pay a fine?
(a) Because he was involved in a bar fight
(b) Because he broke a traffic law
(c) Because he punched Ambrosch
(d) Because he failed to pay taxes
6. What gift do Jim's grandparents give him when he comes to live with them?
(a) A wagon
(b) A rattlesnake cane
(c) A pony
(d) A bicycle
7. Which of the following is not a regular occurrence in the evenings at the Harling house?
(a) Antonia tells stories of Bohemia.
(b) Antonia bakes treats for the family and visitors.
(c) The family gathers in the kitchen.
(d) The family gathers in the parlor.
8. Where does Jim live as an adult?
(c) New York
9. Whose visit to Black Hawk breaks up the monotony of the winter for Jim?
(b) A friend from Virginia's
(d) Blind d'Arnault's
10. Why does Anton Jelinek believe the Shimerdas are not concerned about having a priest perform Mr. Shimerda's funeral?
(a) They believe he is already in Heaven.
(b) They are not Catholics.
(c) His suicide is an unforgivable sin.
(d) They are not religious.
11. What does Jake find under the manger in the barn where Mr. Shimerda's body is found?
(a) Grandfather Burden's ax
(c) A gun
(d) Krajiek's ax
12. Why does Jim think Antonia acts superior to him?
(a) She is older than he is.
(b) She believes females are superior to males.
(c) She believes she is smarter than he is.
(d) She is from a different culture than he is.
13. Why do Antonia and Jim travel to Russian Peter's in Chapter 7?
(a) To show the Shimerda children the prairie dog houses.
(b) To borrow a spade
(c) To visit with he and Pavel.
(d) To deliver a spade
14. Why does Jim come to live with his grandparents in the first chapter of the book?
(a) His parents are unable to care for him.
(b) His parents have divorced.
(c) His parents have passed away.
(d) His parents want him to grow up on a farm.
15. Why does Mrs. Harling disapprove of Tiny Soderball?
(a) She has a reputation for being flirtatious.
(b) She does not approve of working women.
(c) She believes working at a hotel is inappropriate for a woman.
(d) She does not like country girls.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the Shimerdas remain involved with Krajiek?
2. Where is Mr. Shimerda's body buried?
3. Who accompanies Jim on his train trip to Nebraska in Chapter 1?
4. What does Jim's grandmother warn him to watch for when he is in her garden?
5. What possession does Russian Peter value over all others?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)