|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nickname is Antonia given?
2. How do the narrator and Jim become acquainted?
(a) They grew up in the same town.
(b) They were both neighbors of Antonia.
(c) They meet on the train.
(d) The work for the same company in New York.
3. What possession does Russian Peter value over all others?
(a) His plough
(b) His horse
(c) His cow
(d) His home
4. Which of the following is not a detail about Antonia that Mrs. Steavens shares with the Burdens?
(a) Antonia is a hard worker.
(b) Many of the country people like Antonia.
(c) Ambrosch hires Antonia out like a man.
(d) Antonia goes to many dances.
5. Who performs Mr. Shimerda's funeral service?
(a) A priest
(b) Otto Fuchs
(c) Grandfather Burden and Otto Fuchs
(d) The coroner
6. What does Jim's grandfather bring home for him after visiting the Shimerdas on Christmas?
(a) A gift from Antonia
(b) A horse
(c) A ring
(d) A Christmas tree
7. How do the Shimerdas react to their difficult living conditions?
(a) They never complain.
(b) The complain constantly.
(c) They ask the Burdens to help them.
(d) They shut themselves off from the community.
8. How many days pass before Mr. Shimerda's body is buried?
9. Antonia confides to Jim that her father is _______________
(a) deeply sad.
(b) cruel and unforgiving.
(c) dangerous and unpredictable.
(d) mentally ill.
10. Who helps Ambrosch and Marek treat the horse with colic?
(c) Otto Fuchs
(d) Jim's grandfather
11. What gift do Jim's grandparents give him when he comes to live with them?
(a) A bicycle
(b) A pony
(c) A wagon
(d) A rattlesnake cane
12. What does Jim's grandmother warn him to watch for when he is in her garden?
(b) Poisonous plants
13. Which of the following is not a quality that Jim believes the town girls possess?
(a) Physical strength
14. Why does Jake have to pay a fine?
(a) Because he punched Ambrosch
(b) Because he was involved in a bar fight
(c) Because he broke a traffic law
(d) Because he failed to pay taxes
15. What does Jim tell the narrator of the introduction?
(a) He was secretly in love with Antonia.
(b) He has been writing down his memories of Antonia.
(c) He dislikes his wife.
(d) He plans to move back to Nebraska.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Ambrosch delighted when he hears Jake sold a pig in town?
2. Which of the Harling children is Antonia's favorite?
3. Who accompanies Jim on his train trip to Nebraska in Chapter 1?
4. Why do the three Marys often have to leave town?
5. What reputation does the Boys' Home Hotel have?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)