|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Otto put on the Christmas tree that attracts everyone's attention?
(b) A photo of his mother
(c) Ornaments from the Shimerdas
(d) Special ornaments from Austria
2. Who does Antonia tell that Jim tried to kill Lena back in Bohemia?
(a) Ole Benson's wife
(b) Mrs. Shimerda
(d) Wick Cutter
3. What event is responsible for the lightened tone at the hotel?
(a) Tiny is promoted to the manager position.
(b) The manager is out of town.
(c) The country girls are in town.
(d) Jim and Antonia visit the hotel.
4. Who does Jim's grandmother hire to help her work in the house during July?
(a) Mrs. Shimerda
5. Where in Black Hawk is Antonia hired to work?
(a) The Harlings' home
(b) At the school
(c) The Boy's Home Hotel
(d) The Burdens' home
6. What does Jake find under the manger in the barn where Mr. Shimerda's body is found?
(a) Grandfather Burden's ax
(b) Krajiek's ax
(c) A gun
7. What event occurs that causes Mr. Harling to tell Antonia she cannot attend the dances?
(a) People in town begin to speak negatively about Antonia.
(b) Antonia brings a boy to the Harlings after a dance.
(c) A boy tries to kiss Antonia so she slaps him.
(d) Antonia becomes pregnant.
8. What first strikes Jim about the location of his grandparents' home?
(a) There are many immigrants living in the area.
(b) There are few trees in the area.
(c) The farm is extremely quiet.
(d) There is land as far as the eye can see.
9. Who does Jim often run into when he is in downtown Black Hawk?
(c) Mr. Harling
10. Why do Antonia and Jim travel to Russian Peter's in Chapter 7?
(a) To borrow a spade
(b) To visit with he and Pavel.
(c) To show the Shimerda children the prairie dog houses.
(d) To deliver a spade
11. Antonia confides to Jim that her father is _______________
(a) cruel and unforgiving.
(b) deeply sad.
(c) mentally ill.
(d) dangerous and unpredictable.
12. Which of the following is not a topic of complaint by Mrs. Shimerda in Chapter 17?
(a) A broken ax.
(b) The cow Grandfather Burden sold her.
(c) Accusations against Ambrosch
(d) Mr. Shimerda's death
13. Which of the Harling children helps his/her father with the family business?
14. Why do the Shimerdas remain involved with Krajiek?
(a) They look up to him.
(b) They come from the same country.
(c) They rely on him to teach them about the US.
(d) They trust him.
15. Who sponsors the dance tent in Black Hawk?
(a) The Harlings
(b) The Vannis
(c) Wick Cutter
(d) The Burdens
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Jim and Jake go to pick up from Ambrosch in Chapter 18?
2. Which of the following is not a quality that Jim believes the country girls possess?
3. Why do the three Marys often have to leave town?
4. Why does Jim come to live with his grandparents in the first chapter of the book?
5. Who teaches Yulka to read English?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)