|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not a regular occurrence in the evenings at the Harling house?
(a) The family gathers in the parlor.
(b) The family gathers in the kitchen.
(c) Antonia bakes treats for the family and visitors.
(d) Antonia tells stories of Bohemia.
2. Why is Ambrosch delighted when he hears Jake sold a pig in town?
(a) He believes Jake had to sell the pig to pay his fine.
(b) He knows Jake has enough money to buy a new horse collar.
(c) He asked Jake to sell the pig for him.
(d) He thinks Jake will share the proceeds of the sale with him.
3. Why does Jake have to pay a fine?
(a) Because he failed to pay taxes
(b) Because he punched Ambrosch
(c) Because he broke a traffic law
(d) Because he was involved in a bar fight
4. Who does Antonia tell that Jim tried to kill Lena back in Bohemia?
(a) Mrs. Shimerda
(c) Ole Benson's wife
(d) Wick Cutter
5. What nickname is Antonia given?
6. Where is Mr. Shimerda's body buried?
(a) At the corner of the family's lot of land
(b) In a cemetery
(c) In Bohemia
(d) On the Burdens' farm
7. What possession does Russian Peter value over all others?
(a) His cow
(b) His home
(c) His horse
(d) His plough
8. Where in Black Hawk is Antonia hired to work?
(a) The Harlings' home
(b) The Boy's Home Hotel
(c) At the school
(d) The Burdens' home
9. What does Antonia tell Jim about her father when she and her mother come to visit the Burdens after the winter thaw?
(a) Her father does not love her mother.
(b) Her father is not doing well.
(c) Her father used to be a violinist.
(d) Her father plans to kill himself.
10. How does Lena feel when her brother leaves Black Hawk after a visit?
11. Who does Jim's grandfather believe killed Mr. Shimerda?
(a) Wick Cutter
(d) Mr. Shimerda
12. How does Antonia differ from her brother Ambrosch?
(a) Ambrosch is much more social than Anotnia is.
(b) Ambrosch is mean but Antonia is kind.
(c) Ambrosch is much harder working than Antonia.
(d) Antonia is mean but Ambrosch is kind.
13. What rumor about Pavel circulates in the community?
(a) He left his wife to come to the United States.
(b) He is a fugitive from the law.
(c) He is an illegal immigrant.
(d) He is an anarchist.
14. What gift do Jim's grandparents give him when he comes to live with them?
(a) A pony
(b) A bicycle
(c) A rattlesnake cane
(d) A wagon
15. What do Jim and Jake go to pick up from Ambrosch in Chapter 18?
(a) A cow
(b) An ax
(c) A horse collar
(d) A wagon
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Harling disapprove of Tiny Soderball?
2. Where does Jim live as an adult?
3. What does Jim's grandmother warn him to watch for when he is in her garden?
4. What act does Jim perform that makes him a hero in Antonia's eyes?
5. Why does Anton Jelinek believe the Shimerdas are not concerned about having a priest perform Mr. Shimerda's funeral?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)