|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What first strikes Jim about the location of his grandparents' home?
(a) There are few trees in the area.
(b) The farm is extremely quiet.
(c) There are many immigrants living in the area.
(d) There is land as far as the eye can see.
2. Why does Jim think Antonia acts superior to him?
(a) She believes females are superior to males.
(b) She believes she is smarter than he is.
(c) She is from a different culture than he is.
(d) She is older than he is.
3. How did Blind d'Arnault's mother react to his blindness?
(a) She was supportive of him.
(b) She was ashamed.
(c) She was angry.
(d) She helped him function as if he was sighted.
4. Where in Black Hawk is Antonia hired to work?
(a) The Harlings' home
(b) At the school
(c) The Burdens' home
(d) The Boy's Home Hotel
5. How does Lena feel when her brother leaves Black Hawk after a visit?
6. What does Jim's grandmother warn him to watch for when he is in her garden?
(a) Poisonous plants
7. What act does Jim perform that makes him a hero in Antonia's eyes?
(a) He rescues her brother.
(b) He kills a rattlesnake.
(c) He teaches her to read.
(d) He catches a prairie dog.
8. What does Jim say he enjoys most about his grandfather reading Christmas prayers?
(a) The memories of his parents that he invokes
(b) The sound of his voice
(c) His choice of prayers
(d) The sense of spirituality that fills the room
9. What one item must all of the Shimerdas share during the winter?
(a) A dish
(b) A blanket
(c) A bed
(d) A coat
10. What does Tiny often share with Lena?
(a) News of the old country
(b) The wages she earns working at the hotel
(c) The gifts she receives from men staying at the hotel
(d) The room she rents at the hotel
11. How does Antonia differ from her brother Ambrosch?
(a) Ambrosch is mean but Antonia is kind.
(b) Ambrosch is much harder working than Antonia.
(c) Antonia is mean but Ambrosch is kind.
(d) Ambrosch is much more social than Anotnia is.
12. Where is Mr. Shimerda's body buried?
(a) On the Burdens' farm
(b) In Bohemia
(c) At the corner of the family's lot of land
(d) In a cemetery
13. Which of the following is not a quality that Jim believes the country girls possess?
(a) Devotion to work
(b) Devotion to family
(c) Physical strength
14. Who does Jim's grandfather believe killed Mr. Shimerda?
(a) Wick Cutter
(d) Mr. Shimerda
15. Why does Jake have to pay a fine?
(a) Because he was involved in a bar fight
(b) Because he failed to pay taxes
(c) Because he broke a traffic law
(d) Because he punched Ambrosch
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Antonia tell that Jim tried to kill Lena back in Bohemia?
2. How does Jim's grandfather mend relations between the Shimerdas and the Burdens?
3. Which of the following is not a quality that Jim believes the town girls possess?
4. Why do Jim and his grandparents make Christmas presents for the Shimerdas instead of purchasing them?
5. Who helps Ambrosch and Marek treat the horse with colic?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)