|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are Otto's fellow travelers suspicious of him when he escorts an immigrant woman to the U.S. to meet her husband?
(a) The woman gives birth to triplets.
(b) The woman leaves during the trip.
(c) He appears to be in love with the woman.
(d) He never leaves the woman's side.
2. What does Tiny often share with Lena?
(a) The wages she earns working at the hotel
(b) News of the old country
(c) The gifts she receives from men staying at the hotel
(d) The room she rents at the hotel
3. What one item must all of the Shimerdas share during the winter?
(a) A dish
(b) A blanket
(c) A bed
(d) A coat
4. Which of the following is not a regular occurrence in the evenings at the Harling house?
(a) The family gathers in the parlor.
(b) Antonia bakes treats for the family and visitors.
(c) The family gathers in the kitchen.
(d) Antonia tells stories of Bohemia.
5. Which of the Shimerdas did not want to immigrate to the United States?
(a) Mr. Shimerda
(b) Mrs. Shimerda
6. Why is Ambrosch delighted when he hears Jake sold a pig in town?
(a) He thinks Jake will share the proceeds of the sale with him.
(b) He asked Jake to sell the pig for him.
(c) He believes Jake had to sell the pig to pay his fine.
(d) He knows Jake has enough money to buy a new horse collar.
7. How has Mr. Harling made his money?
(a) He is a cattle buyer and grain merchant.
(b) He is the owner of a general store.
(c) He is a grain merchant.
(d) He is a cattle buyer.
8. What does Jim's grandfather bring home for him after visiting the Shimerdas on Christmas?
(a) A gift from Antonia
(b) A ring
(c) A Christmas tree
(d) A horse
9. Where in Black Hawk is Antonia hired to work?
(a) The Burdens' home
(b) At the school
(c) The Harlings' home
(d) The Boy's Home Hotel
10. Which of the following is not a quality that Jim believes the country girls possess?
(b) Physical strength
(c) Devotion to work
(d) Devotion to family
11. What about Antonia does Jim criticize as he dines with her family in Chapter 17?
(a) Her attitude
(b) Her manners
(c) Her ability to speak English
(d) Her sense of humor
12. What does Jake find under the manger in the barn where Mr. Shimerda's body is found?
(a) Krajiek's ax
(b) A gun
(c) Grandfather Burden's ax
13. Why do the Shimerdas remain involved with Krajiek?
(a) They come from the same country.
(b) They look up to him.
(c) They rely on him to teach them about the US.
(d) They trust him.
14. What becomes of Peter when Pavel passes away?
(a) He also dies.
(b) He goes to work for the railroad.
(c) He moves in with the Shimerdas.
(d) He returns to Russia.
15. Why does Jim think Antonia acts superior to him?
(a) She believes she is smarter than he is.
(b) She is from a different culture than he is.
(c) She believes females are superior to males.
(d) She is older than he is.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Harling disapprove of Tiny Soderball?
2. Antonia confides to Jim that her father is _______________
3. Who performs Mr. Shimerda's funeral service?
4. Where do Otto and Jake go when the Burdens sell their farm?
5. Where does Antonia consider going to work when the Harlings forbid her to attend the dances?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)