|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not a regular occurrence in the evenings at the Harling house?
(a) Antonia bakes treats for the family and visitors.
(b) The family gathers in the kitchen.
(c) The family gathers in the parlor.
(d) Antonia tells stories of Bohemia.
2. What nickname is Antonia given?
3. What event occurs that causes Mr. Harling to tell Antonia she cannot attend the dances?
(a) People in town begin to speak negatively about Antonia.
(b) Antonia brings a boy to the Harlings after a dance.
(c) Antonia becomes pregnant.
(d) A boy tries to kiss Antonia so she slaps him.
4. What do the Shimerdas give the Burdens in exchange for the goods they bring during the winter?
(a) A promise of repayment
(d) Dried mushrooms
5. What is Anton Jelinek's connection with the Shimerda family?
(a) Both live in Black Hawk.
(b) Both are Bohemian.
(c) Both are from Austria.
(d) Both are indebted to Krajiek.
6. How does Jim's grandfather mend relations between the Shimerdas and the Burdens?
(a) He tells Jake he must apologize for hitting Ambrosch.
(b) He forgives Ambrosch for damaging the horse collar.
(c) He hires Ambrosch and Antonia to help him harvest.
(d) He speaks to Mrs. Shimerda.
7. How did Blind d'Arnault's mother react to his blindness?
(a) She was ashamed.
(b) She helped him function as if he was sighted.
(c) She was supportive of him.
(d) She was angry.
8. What gift do Jim's grandparents give him when he comes to live with them?
(a) A wagon
(b) A bicycle
(c) A pony
(d) A rattlesnake cane
9. What does Otto do annually on Christmas day?
(a) Visits the Shimerdas
(b) Decorates the Christmas tree
(c) Writes to his mother
(d) Cleans the horse stables
10. Who does Jim often run into when he is in downtown Black Hawk?
(c) Mr. Harling
11. Why are Otto's fellow travelers suspicious of him when he escorts an immigrant woman to the U.S. to meet her husband?
(a) The woman gives birth to triplets.
(b) He never leaves the woman's side.
(c) The woman leaves during the trip.
(d) He appears to be in love with the woman.
12. Where does Jim live as an adult?
(a) New York
13. What does Jim's grandmother warn him to watch for when he is in her garden?
(d) Poisonous plants
14. Whose visit to Black Hawk breaks up the monotony of the winter for Jim?
(b) Blind d'Arnault's
(c) A friend from Virginia's
15. Who teaches Yulka to read English?
(a) Grandmother Burden
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jim say he enjoys most about his grandfather reading Christmas prayers?
2. Who sponsors the dance tent in Black Hawk?
3. What does Antonia tell Jim about her father when she and her mother come to visit the Burdens after the winter thaw?
4. Where do Otto and Jake go when the Burdens sell their farm?
5. Who visits the Burdens on Christmas day?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)