|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Grandmother Burden not teach Antonia?
(a) To cook
(b) To read English
(d) Basic math
2. Who does Jim often run into when he is in downtown Black Hawk?
(a) Mr. Harling
3. How has Mr. Harling made his money?
(a) He is a grain merchant.
(b) He is a cattle buyer.
(c) He is the owner of a general store.
(d) He is a cattle buyer and grain merchant.
4. Why do Antonia and Jim travel to Russian Peter's in Chapter 7?
(a) To show the Shimerda children the prairie dog houses.
(b) To deliver a spade
(c) To borrow a spade
(d) To visit with he and Pavel.
5. Who sold the Shimerda family their home?
(a) Jim's grandparents
(c) The Burdens
(d) Otto Fuchs
6. What does Antonia offer Jim when she meets him?
(a) Her friendship
(b) Her ring
(c) Help on the farm
(d) Wild mushrooms
7. How does Jim's grandfather mend relations between the Shimerdas and the Burdens?
(a) He tells Jake he must apologize for hitting Ambrosch.
(b) He hires Ambrosch and Antonia to help him harvest.
(c) He speaks to Mrs. Shimerda.
(d) He forgives Ambrosch for damaging the horse collar.
8. How does Antonia differ from her brother Ambrosch?
(a) Ambrosch is much harder working than Antonia.
(b) Ambrosch is mean but Antonia is kind.
(c) Antonia is mean but Ambrosch is kind.
(d) Ambrosch is much more social than Anotnia is.
9. Who helps Ambrosch and Marek treat the horse with colic?
(b) Jim's grandfather
(c) Otto Fuchs
10. What gift do Jim's grandparents give him when he comes to live with them?
(a) A wagon
(b) A pony
(c) A rattlesnake cane
(d) A bicycle
11. What event is responsible for the lightened tone at the hotel?
(a) The manager is out of town.
(b) Tiny is promoted to the manager position.
(c) Jim and Antonia visit the hotel.
(d) The country girls are in town.
12. What does Jim's grandfather bring home for him after visiting the Shimerdas on Christmas?
(a) A ring
(b) A Christmas tree
(c) A horse
(d) A gift from Antonia
13. What does Mr. Shimerda promise to give Jim when he is older?
(a) His gun
(b) Fatherly advice
(c) Antonia's hand in marriage
(d) His farm
14. How does Lena feel when her brother leaves Black Hawk after a visit?
15. How does Antonia react to the dances in town?
(a) She is ambivalent towards the dances.
(b) She rarely attends the dances.
(c) She regularly attends the dances.
(d) She believes they are immoral.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the Harling children is Antonia's favorite?
2. What does Antonia say was found in the pocket of the tramp who died in the thresher?
3. Which of the Harling children helps his/her father with the family business?
4. How many days pass before Mr. Shimerda's body is buried?
5. What is Mrs. Harling's only complaint about Antonia's work?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)