|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reputation does the Boys' Home Hotel have?
(a) It is considered the best in the area.
(b) It is considered a safe place for men, but not women, to stay.
(c) It is considered a seedy hotel.
(d) It is considered an elite, high priced establishment.
2. How has Mr. Harling made his money?
(a) He is a grain merchant.
(b) He is a cattle buyer.
(c) He is the owner of a general store.
(d) He is a cattle buyer and grain merchant.
3. What one item must all of the Shimerdas share during the winter?
(a) A dish
(b) A blanket
(c) A bed
(d) A coat
4. What does Jim say he enjoys most about his grandfather reading Christmas prayers?
(a) The memories of his parents that he invokes
(b) The sense of spirituality that fills the room
(c) His choice of prayers
(d) The sound of his voice
5. What do Jim and Jake go to pick up from Ambrosch in Chapter 18?
(a) A cow
(b) A wagon
(c) A horse collar
(d) An ax
6. Why do Jim and his grandparents make Christmas presents for the Shimerdas instead of purchasing them?
(a) They do not want to appear pretentious to the Shimerdas.
(b) They know the Shimerdas prefer handmade gifts.
(c) The family is snowed in and cannot get to the store.
(d) The Burdens cannot afford to purchase presents.
7. To whom does Pavel confess his unpleasant past in Russia?
(b) Mr. Shimerda
(d) Otto Fuchs
8. What does Jim's grandfather bring home for him after visiting the Shimerdas on Christmas?
(a) A gift from Antonia
(b) A Christmas tree
(c) A ring
(d) A horse
9. What does Otto do annually on Christmas day?
(a) Visits the Shimerdas
(b) Decorates the Christmas tree
(c) Cleans the horse stables
(d) Writes to his mother
10. How did Blind d'Arnault's mother react to his blindness?
(a) She was angry.
(b) She was supportive of him.
(c) She was ashamed.
(d) She helped him function as if he was sighted.
11. Who does Antonia tell that Jim tried to kill Lena back in Bohemia?
(a) Wick Cutter
(b) Ole Benson's wife
(d) Mrs. Shimerda
12. What possession does Russian Peter value over all others?
(a) His horse
(b) His home
(c) His cow
(d) His plough
13. Why do the three Marys often have to leave town?
(a) They help other immigrants in the area.
(b) They are itinerant farm workers.
(c) Their families live in neighboring towns.
(d) They are suspected of becoming pregnant.
14. What is Anton Jelinek's connection with the Shimerda family?
(a) Both live in Black Hawk.
(b) Both are indebted to Krajiek.
(c) Both are from Austria.
(d) Both are Bohemian.
15. Who does Jim credit with planting sunflowers in Nebraska?
(a) The Shimerdas
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a topic of complaint by Mrs. Shimerda in Chapter 17?
2. What gift do Jim's grandparents give him when he comes to live with them?
3. What does Jim's grandmother warn him to watch for when he is in her garden?
4. How long has Jim been living with his grandparents at the start of Book 2?
5. Why do the Shimerdas remain involved with Krajiek?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)