|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What one item must all of the Shimerdas share during the winter?
(a) A dish
(b) A blanket
(c) A bed
(d) A coat
2. What does Jim say he enjoys most about his grandfather reading Christmas prayers?
(a) The sound of his voice
(b) The memories of his parents that he invokes
(c) The sense of spirituality that fills the room
(d) His choice of prayers
3. Where in Black Hawk is Antonia hired to work?
(a) The Burdens' home
(b) The Harlings' home
(c) At the school
(d) The Boy's Home Hotel
4. What rumor about Pavel circulates in the community?
(a) He is an illegal immigrant.
(b) He is a fugitive from the law.
(c) He left his wife to come to the United States.
(d) He is an anarchist.
5. Which of the following does NOT characterize Jim's grandparents?
6. Which of the Harling children is Antonia's favorite?
7. Why do Jim and his grandparents make Christmas presents for the Shimerdas instead of purchasing them?
(a) They know the Shimerdas prefer handmade gifts.
(b) They do not want to appear pretentious to the Shimerdas.
(c) The family is snowed in and cannot get to the store.
(d) The Burdens cannot afford to purchase presents.
8. How did Blind d'Arnault's mother react to his blindness?
(a) She was ashamed.
(b) She was angry.
(c) She was supportive of him.
(d) She helped him function as if he was sighted.
9. Who visits the Burdens on Christmas day?
(a) The Shimerda family
(b) Mr. Shimerda
10. Where does Jim believe Mr. Shimerda's spirit goes after he dies?
(a) To live above the Burdens' home
(b) Into Purgatory
(c) Back to Germany
(d) To Heaven
11. How does Jim's grandfather mend relations between the Shimerdas and the Burdens?
(a) He hires Ambrosch and Antonia to help him harvest.
(b) He forgives Ambrosch for damaging the horse collar.
(c) He speaks to Mrs. Shimerda.
(d) He tells Jake he must apologize for hitting Ambrosch.
12. Why does Mrs. Harling disapprove of Tiny Soderball?
(a) She does not approve of working women.
(b) She believes working at a hotel is inappropriate for a woman.
(c) She does not like country girls.
(d) She has a reputation for being flirtatious.
13. Antonia confides to Jim that her father is _______________
(a) deeply sad.
(b) mentally ill.
(c) cruel and unforgiving.
(d) dangerous and unpredictable.
14. Where do Otto and Jake go when the Burdens sell their farm?
(a) To work on another farm
(b) Back to the Wild West
(c) They move into Black Hawk with the Burdens.
(d) Back to Germany
15. What does Jim's grandfather bring home for him after visiting the Shimerdas on Christmas?
(a) A Christmas tree
(b) A ring
(c) A horse
(d) A gift from Antonia
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Shimerda promise to give Jim when he is older?
2. Why does Lena Lingard's presence at the Harlings' home make Antonia uncomfortable?
3. Who does Antonia tell that Jim tried to kill Lena back in Bohemia?
4. Why do the Shimerdas remain involved with Krajiek?
5. What do Jim and Jake go to pick up from Ambrosch in Chapter 18?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)