|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Antonia and Jim travel to Russian Peter's in Chapter 7?
(a) To show the Shimerda children the prairie dog houses.
(b) To borrow a spade
(c) To visit with he and Pavel.
(d) To deliver a spade
2. What is Anton Jelinek's connection with the Shimerda family?
(a) Both live in Black Hawk.
(b) Both are from Austria.
(c) Both are Bohemian.
(d) Both are indebted to Krajiek.
3. Who does Jim credit with planting sunflowers in Nebraska?
(d) The Shimerdas
4. What becomes of Peter when Pavel passes away?
(a) He also dies.
(b) He moves in with the Shimerdas.
(c) He returns to Russia.
(d) He goes to work for the railroad.
5. Who does Jim's grandfather believe killed Mr. Shimerda?
(b) Mr. Shimerda
(d) Wick Cutter
6. Why is Ambrosch delighted when he hears Jake sold a pig in town?
(a) He knows Jake has enough money to buy a new horse collar.
(b) He believes Jake had to sell the pig to pay his fine.
(c) He asked Jake to sell the pig for him.
(d) He thinks Jake will share the proceeds of the sale with him.
7. What first strikes Jim about the location of his grandparents' home?
(a) There are few trees in the area.
(b) There is land as far as the eye can see.
(c) The farm is extremely quiet.
(d) There are many immigrants living in the area.
8. What nickname is Antonia given?
9. Which of the Shimerda children is considered most important by his parents?
10. What does Otto do annually on Christmas day?
(a) Cleans the horse stables
(b) Visits the Shimerdas
(c) Writes to his mother
(d) Decorates the Christmas tree
11. Which of the following does Grandmother Burden not teach Antonia?
(a) To read English
(c) To cook
(d) Basic math
12. How does Antonia differ from her brother Ambrosch?
(a) Ambrosch is much harder working than Antonia.
(b) Ambrosch is much more social than Anotnia is.
(c) Antonia is mean but Ambrosch is kind.
(d) Ambrosch is mean but Antonia is kind.
13. How has Mr. Harling made his money?
(a) He is the owner of a general store.
(b) He is a cattle buyer and grain merchant.
(c) He is a grain merchant.
(d) He is a cattle buyer.
14. Where in Black Hawk is Antonia hired to work?
(a) The Harlings' home
(b) At the school
(c) The Burdens' home
(d) The Boy's Home Hotel
15. Who sold the Shimerda family their home?
(a) Jim's grandparents
(b) The Burdens
(c) Otto Fuchs
Short Answer Questions
1. Who performs Mr. Shimerda's funeral service?
2. What does Jim's grandmother warn him to watch for when he is in her garden?
3. Who is suspected of killing Mr. Shimerda?
4. Which of the Harling children helps his/her father with the family business?
5. Why does Lena Lingard's presence at the Harlings' home make Antonia uncomfortable?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)