|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3: Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not a detail about Antonia that Mrs. Steavens shares with the Burdens?
(a) Antonia goes to many dances.
(b) Many of the country people like Antonia.
(c) Ambrosch hires Antonia out like a man.
(d) Antonia is a hard worker.
2. How many days pass before Mr. Shimerda's body is buried?
3. Why is Ambrosch delighted when he hears Jake sold a pig in town?
(a) He asked Jake to sell the pig for him.
(b) He thinks Jake will share the proceeds of the sale with him.
(c) He knows Jake has enough money to buy a new horse collar.
(d) He believes Jake had to sell the pig to pay his fine.
4. Which of the following does NOT characterize Jim's grandparents?
5. Why does Lena Lingard's presence at the Harlings' home make Antonia uncomfortable?
(a) Lena has a reputation for being sexually promiscuous.
(b) Lena has a reputation for being a vixen.
(c) Antonia wants to have no ties to her former country.
(d) Lena is much more beautiful than Antonia is.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event occurs that causes Mr. Harling to tell Antonia she cannot attend the dances?
2. Why are Otto's fellow travelers suspicious of him when he escorts an immigrant woman to the U.S. to meet her husband?
3. What is Jim constantly reminded of during his time at the university?
4. Why does Jim think Antonia acts superior to him?
5. How does Antonia show her affection for Charley?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)