|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Chapter 12 | Book 1: Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jim tell the narrator of the introduction?
(a) He plans to move back to Nebraska.
(b) He was secretly in love with Antonia.
(c) He has been writing down his memories of Antonia.
(d) He dislikes his wife.
2. Which of the Shimerdas did not want to immigrate to the United States?
(a) Mrs. Shimerda
(b) Mr. Shimerda
3. What becomes of Peter when Pavel passes away?
(a) He moves in with the Shimerdas.
(b) He also dies.
(c) He goes to work for the railroad.
(d) He returns to Russia.
4. What does Jim's grandfather bring home for him after visiting the Shimerdas on Christmas?
(a) A gift from Antonia
(b) A ring
(c) A Christmas tree
(d) A horse
5. Why do Jim and his grandparents make Christmas presents for the Shimerdas instead of purchasing them?
(a) They know the Shimerdas prefer handmade gifts.
(b) They do not want to appear pretentious to the Shimerdas.
(c) The Burdens cannot afford to purchase presents.
(d) The family is snowed in and cannot get to the store.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jim live as an adult?
2. Who does Jim credit with planting sunflowers in Nebraska?
3. What first strikes Jim about the location of his grandparents' home?
4. Why do the Shimerdas remain involved with Krajiek?
5. Why does Jim come to live with his grandparents in the first chapter of the book?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)