|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Chapter 12 | Book 1: Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom are Pavel and Peter indebted?
(a) Wick Cutter
(b) The Burdens
(c) The Shimerdas
2. Why do the Shimerdas remain involved with Krajiek?
(a) They come from the same country.
(b) They rely on him to teach them about the US.
(c) They look up to him.
(d) They trust him.
3. What does Antonia tell Jim about her father when she and her mother come to visit the Burdens after the winter thaw?
(a) Her father used to be a violinist.
(b) Her father does not love her mother.
(c) Her father is not doing well.
(d) Her father plans to kill himself.
4. How do the Shimerdas react to their difficult living conditions?
(a) They shut themselves off from the community.
(b) They ask the Burdens to help them.
(c) They never complain.
(d) The complain constantly.
5. What one item must all of the Shimerdas share during the winter?
(a) A dish
(b) A bed
(c) A blanket
(d) A coat
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Shimerda ask Jim's grandmother to do?
2. Why does Jim come to live with his grandparents in the first chapter of the book?
3. Which of the following does NOT characterize Jim's grandparents?
4. How does Antonia differ from her brother Ambrosch?
5. Why are Otto's fellow travelers suspicious of him when he escorts an immigrant woman to the U.S. to meet her husband?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)