|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Chapter 8 | Book 1: Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jim come to live with his grandparents in the first chapter of the book?
(a) His parents have passed away.
(b) His parents want him to grow up on a farm.
(c) His parents are unable to care for him.
(d) His parents have divorced.
2. What nickname is Antonia given?
3. How do the Shimerdas react to their difficult living conditions?
(a) They shut themselves off from the community.
(b) The complain constantly.
(c) They ask the Burdens to help them.
(d) They never complain.
4. Which of the following does Grandmother Burden not teach Antonia?
(a) To read English
(c) Basic math
(d) To cook
5. Who sold the Shimerda family their home?
(a) Jim's grandparents
(b) Otto Fuchs
(d) The Burdens
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jim live as an adult?
2. How do the narrator and Jim become acquainted?
3. What does Antonia offer Jim when she meets him?
4. What gift do Jim's grandparents give him when he comes to live with them?
5. Who accompanies Jim on his train trip to Nebraska in Chapter 1?
This section contains 221 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)