|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Chapter 8 | Book 1: Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Antonia confides to Jim that her father is _______________
(a) mentally ill.
(b) deeply sad.
(c) cruel and unforgiving.
(d) dangerous and unpredictable.
2. How do the Shimerdas react to their difficult living conditions?
(a) They shut themselves off from the community.
(b) They never complain.
(c) The complain constantly.
(d) They ask the Burdens to help them.
3. Why are Otto's fellow travelers suspicious of him when he escorts an immigrant woman to the U.S. to meet her husband?
(a) He appears to be in love with the woman.
(b) The woman leaves during the trip.
(c) The woman gives birth to triplets.
(d) He never leaves the woman's side.
4. What act does Jim perform that makes him a hero in Antonia's eyes?
(a) He rescues her brother.
(b) He kills a rattlesnake.
(c) He teaches her to read.
(d) He catches a prairie dog.
5. Who sold the Shimerda family their home?
(a) Jim's grandparents
(b) Otto Fuchs
(c) The Burdens
Short Answer Questions
1. What misfortune falls upon Pavel in Chapter 8?
2. Which of the following does Grandmother Burden not teach Antonia?
3. What does Jim tell the narrator of the introduction?
4. What does Antonia offer Jim when she meets him?
5. Why does Jim come to live with his grandparents in the first chapter of the book?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)