|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Chapter 8 | Book 1: Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who sold the Shimerda family their home?
(b) Otto Fuchs
(c) The Burdens
(d) Jim's grandparents
2. Who does Jim credit with planting sunflowers in Nebraska?
(c) The Shimerdas
3. Why does Jim think Antonia acts superior to him?
(a) She believes she is smarter than he is.
(b) She believes females are superior to males.
(c) She is older than he is.
(d) She is from a different culture than he is.
4. What does Mr. Shimerda ask Jim's grandmother to do?
(a) Agree to allow Antonia to marry Jim
(b) Help his wife set up their home
(c) Teach all of his children to speak and read English
(d) Teach Antonia to speak and read English
5. Antonia confides to Jim that her father is _______________
(a) mentally ill.
(b) deeply sad.
(c) dangerous and unpredictable.
(d) cruel and unforgiving.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jim come to live with his grandparents in the first chapter of the book?
2. What nickname is Antonia given?
3. What becomes of Peter when Pavel passes away?
4. What gift do Jim's grandparents give him when he comes to live with them?
5. How do the narrator and Jim become acquainted?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)