|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Chapter 8 | Book 1: Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Jim credit with planting sunflowers in Nebraska?
(b) The Shimerdas
2. Why are Otto's fellow travelers suspicious of him when he escorts an immigrant woman to the U.S. to meet her husband?
(a) The woman leaves during the trip.
(b) The woman gives birth to triplets.
(c) He never leaves the woman's side.
(d) He appears to be in love with the woman.
3. Why does Jim come to live with his grandparents in the first chapter of the book?
(a) His parents want him to grow up on a farm.
(b) His parents are unable to care for him.
(c) His parents have passed away.
(d) His parents have divorced.
4. To whom does Pavel confess his unpleasant past in Russia?
(a) Mr. Shimerda
(d) Otto Fuchs
5. What does Jim's grandmother warn him to watch for when he is in her garden?
(c) Poisonous plants
Short Answer Questions
1. What possession does Russian Peter value over all others?
2. What first strikes Jim about the location of his grandparents' home?
3. How do the Shimerdas react to their difficult living conditions?
4. What does Mr. Shimerda promise to give Jim when he is older?
5. How do the narrator and Jim become acquainted?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)