|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Chapter 8 | Book 1: Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Antonia confides to Jim that her father is _______________
(a) mentally ill.
(b) cruel and unforgiving.
(c) deeply sad.
(d) dangerous and unpredictable.
2. Why are Otto's fellow travelers suspicious of him when he escorts an immigrant woman to the U.S. to meet her husband?
(a) The woman gives birth to triplets.
(b) The woman leaves during the trip.
(c) He appears to be in love with the woman.
(d) He never leaves the woman's side.
3. What rumor about Pavel circulates in the community?
(a) He is an illegal immigrant.
(b) He left his wife to come to the United States.
(c) He is a fugitive from the law.
(d) He is an anarchist.
4. What possession does Russian Peter value over all others?
(a) His home
(b) His plough
(c) His cow
(d) His horse
5. What does Antonia offer Jim when she meets him?
(a) Her ring
(b) Her friendship
(c) Help on the farm
(d) Wild mushrooms
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Shimerdas react to their difficult living conditions?
2. To whom are Pavel and Peter indebted?
3. What gift do Jim's grandparents give him when he comes to live with them?
4. Why does Jim come to live with his grandparents in the first chapter of the book?
5. What misfortune falls upon Pavel in Chapter 8?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)