|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Chapter 8 | Book 1: Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom are Pavel and Peter indebted?
(a) Wick Cutter
(c) The Burdens
(d) The Shimerdas
2. Why does Jim think Antonia acts superior to him?
(a) She is from a different culture than he is.
(b) She is older than he is.
(c) She believes she is smarter than he is.
(d) She believes females are superior to males.
3. What rumor about Pavel circulates in the community?
(a) He left his wife to come to the United States.
(b) He is an illegal immigrant.
(c) He is an anarchist.
(d) He is a fugitive from the law.
4. What becomes of Peter when Pavel passes away?
(a) He moves in with the Shimerdas.
(b) He returns to Russia.
(c) He also dies.
(d) He goes to work for the railroad.
5. Why do the Shimerdas remain involved with Krajiek?
(a) They look up to him.
(b) They trust him.
(c) They come from the same country.
(d) They rely on him to teach them about the US.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sold the Shimerda family their home?
2. Why are Otto's fellow travelers suspicious of him when he escorts an immigrant woman to the U.S. to meet her husband?
3. Who does Jim credit with planting sunflowers in Nebraska?
4. What nickname is Antonia given?
5. How do the Shimerdas react to their difficult living conditions?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)