|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Chapter 16 | Book 1: Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Shimerda ask Jim's grandmother to do?
(a) Help his wife set up their home
(b) Agree to allow Antonia to marry Jim
(c) Teach all of his children to speak and read English
(d) Teach Antonia to speak and read English
2. Which of the following is not a topic of complaint by Mrs. Shimerda in Chapter 17?
(a) Accusations against Ambrosch
(b) The cow Grandfather Burden sold her.
(c) A broken ax.
(d) Mr. Shimerda's death
3. Who performs Mr. Shimerda's funeral service?
(a) A priest
(b) Grandfather Burden and Otto Fuchs
(c) Otto Fuchs
(d) The coroner
4. What does Antonia offer Jim when she meets him?
(a) Her ring
(b) Wild mushrooms
(c) Help on the farm
(d) Her friendship
5. Who sold the Shimerda family their home?
(a) The Burdens
(b) Jim's grandparents
(c) Otto Fuchs
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jim's grandmother warn him to watch for when he is in her garden?
2. What act does Jim perform that makes him a hero in Antonia's eyes?
3. What does Antonia tell Jim about her father when she and her mother come to visit the Burdens after the winter thaw?
4. What nickname is Antonia given?
5. Who entertains Jim when he is forced to stay indoors because of illness?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)