|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Chapter 16 | Book 1: Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Shimerda ask Jim's grandmother to do?
(a) Teach Antonia to speak and read English
(b) Teach all of his children to speak and read English
(c) Agree to allow Antonia to marry Jim
(d) Help his wife set up their home
2. Which of the Shimerdas did not want to immigrate to the United States?
(b) Mrs. Shimerda
(d) Mr. Shimerda
3. What does Jim say he enjoys most about his grandfather reading Christmas prayers?
(a) His choice of prayers
(b) The sense of spirituality that fills the room
(c) The sound of his voice
(d) The memories of his parents that he invokes
4. Antonia confides to Jim that her father is _______________
(a) deeply sad.
(b) cruel and unforgiving.
(c) dangerous and unpredictable.
(d) mentally ill.
5. What does Otto do annually on Christmas day?
(a) Decorates the Christmas tree
(b) Visits the Shimerdas
(c) Writes to his mother
(d) Cleans the horse stables
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits the Burdens on Christmas day?
2. Where is Mr. Shimerda's body buried?
3. What gift do Jim's grandparents give him when he comes to live with them?
4. What misfortune falls upon Pavel in Chapter 8?
5. To whom does Pavel confess his unpleasant past in Russia?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)