|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3: Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not a quality that Jim believes the country girls possess?
(a) Devotion to work
(c) Devotion to family
(d) Physical strength
2. What event occurs that causes Mr. Harling to tell Antonia she cannot attend the dances?
(a) People in town begin to speak negatively about Antonia.
(b) Antonia brings a boy to the Harlings after a dance.
(c) A boy tries to kiss Antonia so she slaps him.
(d) Antonia becomes pregnant.
3. According to Lena, why did Ole Benson marry his wife?
(a) He thought he could cure her of her mental illness.
(b) He believed she was the only woman who could keep him steady.
(c) She was the only woman who would marry him.
(d) He wanted to protect her from her own mental illness.
4. How does Antonia react to the dances in town?
(a) She believes they are immoral.
(b) She is ambivalent towards the dances.
(c) She regularly attends the dances.
(d) She rarely attends the dances.
5. Why does Gaston Cleric suggest that Jim accompany him to Harvard?
(a) Jim has become distracted from his studies by Lena.
(b) They can both take classes at Harvard.
(c) Cleric needs assistance teaching a class.
(d) The two can use Harvard's library to study the classics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jim believe Mr. Shimerda's spirit goes after he dies?
2. Why does Anton Jelinek believe the Shimerdas are not concerned about having a priest perform Mr. Shimerda's funeral?
3. Where does Antonia consider going to work when the Harlings forbid her to attend the dances?
4. Who does Jim's grandfather believe killed Mr. Shimerda?
5. What does Jake find under the manger in the barn where Mr. Shimerda's body is found?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)