|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3: Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is suspicious of Jim's visits to Lena?
(a) Gaston Cleric
(b) His grandparents
(c) The Polish violin teacher
2. According to Lena, why did Ole Benson marry his wife?
(a) He believed she was the only woman who could keep him steady.
(b) She was the only woman who would marry him.
(c) He wanted to protect her from her own mental illness.
(d) He thought he could cure her of her mental illness.
3. Why do the three Marys often have to leave town?
(a) They help other immigrants in the area.
(b) They are suspected of becoming pregnant.
(c) Their families live in neighboring towns.
(d) They are itinerant farm workers.
4. What is Anton Jelinek's connection with the Shimerda family?
(a) Both are from Austria.
(b) Both live in Black Hawk.
(c) Both are Bohemian.
(d) Both are indebted to Krajiek.
5. Why does Gaston Cleric suggest that Jim accompany him to Harvard?
(a) Cleric needs assistance teaching a class.
(b) The two can use Harvard's library to study the classics.
(c) Jim has become distracted from his studies by Lena.
(d) They can both take classes at Harvard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Anton Jelinek believe the Shimerdas are not concerned about having a priest perform Mr. Shimerda's funeral?
2. Who proposes to Lena several times?
3. Which of the following is not a quality that Jim believes the country girls possess?
4. How does Antonia react to the dances in town?
5. Which of the following is not a quality that Jim believes the town girls possess?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)