|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Biblical story does Beckett mention?
(a) The angels appearing to the sheperds of Bethlehem on Christmas.
(b) The fall of Azrael the angel from Heaven.
(c) Moses parting the Red Sea.
(d) The Snake appearing to Eve in the Garden of Eden.
2. In what year does the Interlude take place?
3. Who might be the least likely character to show up to Beckett's sermon?
(a) The Chorus..
(b) Thomas Beckett.
(c) The Priests.
(d) The Tempters.
4. In the opening of the Interlude, how does Beckett describe his sermon to the audience?
5. What may be one of the reasons for this sermon?
(a) To help him forgivethe King.
(b) To make the congregation sad.
(c) To explain his actions to himself and his followers.
(d) To frighten his followers into submission.
6. What is the last word of the Interlude?
7. What is the best way to define the style in which T.S. Eliot wrote the Interlude?
(d) Blank verse.
8. What does Beckett call his congregation?
(a) Beloved children.
(b) Dear children of God..
(c) God's worshippers.
(d) My dearest flock.
9. How does Beckett close his sermon?
(a) In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.
(b) In Christ's name.
(c) Peace on earth, and goodwill toward men.
(d) God bless us, every one.
10. Fill in the blanks: "For who on the world will both _______ and ________ at once and for the same reason?"
(a) Mourn; rejoice.
(b) Stay; go.
(c) Rejoice; weep.
(d) Laugh; weep.
11. What is an effective speaking tool that Beckett uses in his speech?
12. Beckett asks the congregation to think about the meaning of what word?
13. What, according to Beckett, is reenacted during Mass?
(a) The Miracles of Christ.
(b) The Passion and Death of Christ.
(c) The Birth of Christ.
(d) The Resurrection of Christ.
14. Why does Beckett believe we should celebrate martyrs?
(a) They die for the salvation of men.
(b) They do it for the glory of God.
15. What is another way Beckett defines peace?
(a) The sleeping dog.
(b) The setting sun.
(c) The swept hearth.
(d) The stillness of water.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Beckett tell the people that he may never preach to them again?
2. At what time of day does the sermon take place?
3. What is NOT one of the ways Beckett defines peace?
4. What is another way Beckett refuses to define a martyr?
5. What is one of the reasons Beckett would allow himself to be killed?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)