|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What, according to Beckett, is celebrated that day?
(a) The Birth of Christ.
(b) The Resurrection of Christ.
(c) The Passion and Death of Christ
(d) The Miracles of Christ.
2. What is the last word of the Interlude?
3. What is an effective speaking tool that Beckett uses in his speech?
4. According to Beckett, what is one way you cannot define a martyr?
(a) A Christian killed because he is a Christian.
(b) A man given peace by God.
(c) An instrument of God.
(d) Someone killed for the glory of God.
5. Who might be the least likely character to show up to Beckett's sermon?
(a) Thomas Beckett.
(b) The Chorus..
(c) The Priests.
(d) The Tempters.
6. To Beckett, what is martyrdom?
(a) It is the result of cruel men.
(b) It is always a request of angels.
(c) It is always the design of God.
(d) An act of chance.
7. What does Beckett call his congregation?
(a) Beloved children.
(b) God's worshippers.
(c) Dear children of God..
(d) My dearest flock.
8. What does Beckett ask the audience to remember about Christmas mass?
(a) Its meaning and mystery.
(b) The love of God.
(c) Its sadness and greatness.
(d) The hope and peace it offers.
9. What literary tool does T.S. Eliot use throughout the Interlude?
(a) String of consciousness.
(d) Free verse.
10. From what Gospel does Beckett quote in the opening of his sermon?
11. Beckett asks the congregation to think about the meaning of what word?
12. What may be one of the reasons for this sermon?
(a) To help him forgivethe King.
(b) To frighten his followers into submission.
(c) To explain his actions to himself and his followers.
(d) To make the congregation sad.
13. Which Biblical story does Beckett mention?
(a) The fall of Azrael the angel from Heaven.
(b) The angels appearing to the sheperds of Bethlehem on Christmas.
(c) Moses parting the Red Sea.
(d) The Snake appearing to Eve in the Garden of Eden.
14. What was NOT one of the events that Becket describes in the lives of the disciples?
15. Why was the Tempter successful?
(a) Beckett makes peace with the King.
(b) Beckett makes peace with the barons.
(c) Beckett plans for an escape.
(d) Beckett ends up accepting his fate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another way Beckett defines peace?
2. What is not one of the topics of Beckett's sermon in the Interlude?
3. In the opening of the Interlude, how does Beckett describe his sermon to the audience?
4. Defined by Beckett, who was the first martyr whose sacrifice is celebrated the day after Christmas?
5. What would Beckett have the congregation do?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)