|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what Gospel does Beckett quote in the opening of his sermon?
2. What is NOT one of the things that Beckett says they rejoice in?
(a) Taking Communion.
(b) Christ coming for the salvation of men.
(c) The Christmas pageant.
(d) The sacrifice of Christ for our sins.
3. According to Beckett, what is one way you cannot define a martyr?
(a) An instrument of God.
(b) A Christian killed because he is a Christian.
(c) A man given peace by God.
(d) Someone killed for the glory of God.
4. What does Beckett see himself as, in reference to his definitions of martyrdom?
(a) A simple man.
(b) A brave man.
(c) A messenger.
(d) An instrument of God.
5. Why does Beckett believe the thought of the angels bringing peace is strange?
(a) The world was already a happy place.
(b) The world has been struck by war.
(c) No one listened to them.
(d) The angels ceased to appear
6. According to Beckett, who was the Lord speaking to when he said, "My peace I leave you, my peace I give unto you?"
(a) His angels.
(b) The people of the world.
(c) Beckett himself.
(d) His disciples.
7. What is another way Beckett defines peace?
(a) The swept hearth.
(b) The setting sun.
(c) The stillness of water.
(d) The sleeping dog.
8. What is one of the reasons Beckett would allow himself to be killed?
(a) For the glory of martyrdom.
(b) For revenge.
(c) To prove the King wrong.
(d) To aid in the salvation of man.
9. What, according to Beckett, is reenacted during Mass?
(a) The Birth of Christ.
(b) The Resurrection of Christ.
(c) The Passion and Death of Christ.
(d) The Miracles of Christ.
10. To Beckett, what is martyrdom?
(a) An act of chance.
(b) It is always the design of God.
(c) It is the result of cruel men.
(d) It is always a request of angels.
11. On what date does the Interlude take place?
(a) December 29th.
(b) December 25th.
(c) December 30th.
(d) December 24th.
12. What may be one of the reasons for this sermon?
(a) To explain his actions to himself and his followers.
(b) To help him forgivethe King.
(c) To frighten his followers into submission.
(d) To make the congregation sad.
13. Who might be the least likely character to show up to Beckett's sermon?
(a) The Priests.
(b) The Chorus..
(c) The Tempters.
(d) Thomas Beckett.
14. What does Beckett call his congregation?
(a) Dear children of God..
(b) My dearest flock.
(c) Beloved children.
(d) God's worshippers.
15. What is another observation Beckett has about his approaching murder?
(a) He will be the first martyr of Canterbury.
(b) He may not be the last martyr.
(c) His death will shame the King.
(d) His murder will shock the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time of day does the sermon take place?
2. What is an effective speaking tool that Beckett uses in his speech?
3. Which is NOT an adjective you might use to define Beckett's sermon?
4. What is one way that Beckett defines peace?
5. What is the last word of the Interlude?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)