|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is NOT one of the ways Beckett defines peace?
(a) The Pope at peace with the King.
(b) Barons at peace with the King.
(c) Drinking wine with a friend at a table.
(d) A wife singing to her children.
2. Which specific Canterbury martyr does Beckett ask the congregation to remember?
(a) Archbishop Beckett.
(b) Archbishop Elphage.
(c) St. John the Apostle.
(d) John the Baptist.
3. In the opening of the Interlude, how does Beckett describe his sermon to the audience?
4. What might be the purpose of the Interlude?
(a) To show the audience how unwilling Beckett is concerning his fate.
(b) To instill the fear of God .
(c) To allow the audience a break .
(d) To prepare the audience for the events of Part II.
5. How does Beckett feel about martyrs?
(a) He is apathetic about them.
(b) He fears them.
(c) He is confused by them.
(d) He admires them.
6. Whose words and ideas does Beckett NOT reference in his sermon?
(b) The Three Priests.
(c) The Four Tempters.
(d) God's angels.
7. What is one of the reasons Beckett would allow himself to be killed?
(a) To aid in the salvation of man.
(b) For revenge.
(c) For the glory of martyrdom.
(d) To prove the King wrong.
8. What is NOT a reason that Beckett gives for God choosing to have martyrs?
(a) To lead them.
(b) To warn them.
(c) To being mankind back to His ways.
(d) To instill fear in them.
9. At what time of day does the sermon take place?
10. Which Biblical story does Beckett mention?
(a) The fall of Azrael the angel from Heaven.
(b) The Snake appearing to Eve in the Garden of Eden.
(c) The angels appearing to the sheperds of Bethlehem on Christmas.
(d) Moses parting the Red Sea.
11. How does Beckett close his sermon?
(a) In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.
(b) Peace on earth, and goodwill toward men.
(c) God bless us, every one.
(d) In Christ's name.
12. Why does Beckett believe the thought of the angels bringing peace is strange?
(a) The world has been struck by war.
(b) No one listened to them.
(c) The world was already a happy place.
(d) The angels ceased to appear
13. Who might be the least likely character to show up to Beckett's sermon?
(a) The Chorus..
(b) Thomas Beckett.
(c) The Priests.
(d) The Tempters.
14. Why might the public react this way?
(a) They hate the dictator Archbishop.
(b) They hate the English King.
(c) They don't care what happens to Thomas Beckett.
(d) They have great love and loyalty for Thomas Beckett.
15. Beckett asks the congregation to think about the meaning of what word?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is not one of the topics of Beckett's sermon in the Interlude?
2. Why does Beckett believe we should celebrate martyrs?
3. What is another observation Beckett has about his approaching murder?
4. What is NOT one of the things that Beckett says they rejoice in?
5. What is an effective speaking tool that Beckett uses in his speech?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)