|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is NOT one of the things that Beckett says they rejoice in?
(a) The Christmas pageant.
(b) The sacrifice of Christ for our sins.
(c) Christ coming for the salvation of men.
(d) Taking Communion.
2. Fill in the blank:" ...so in Heaven the Saints are most _______, having made themselves most _______..."
(a) High; low.
(b) At peace; at war
(c) Low; high
(d) Dead; alive.
3. What may be one of the reasons for this sermon?
(a) To help him forgivethe King.
(b) To frighten his followers into submission.
(c) To explain his actions to himself and his followers.
(d) To make the congregation sad.
4. What would be the most likely reaction of the Canterbury people that this is Beckett's last sermon?
(a) Shock and confusion.
(b) Apathy and boredom.
(c) None of these.
(d) Happiness and celebration.
5. Looking at the clues in the Interlude, which Tempter proved to be the most successful?
(a) The Third.
(b) The Fourth.
(c) The First.
(d) The Second.
6. Which specific Canterbury martyr does Beckett ask the congregation to remember?
(a) Archbishop Beckett.
(b) Archbishop Elphage.
(c) John the Baptist.
(d) St. John the Apostle.
7. According to Beckett, who was the Lord speaking to when he said, "My peace I leave you, my peace I give unto you?"
(a) His angels.
(b) His disciples.
(c) The people of the world.
(d) Beckett himself.
8. In the opening of the Interlude, how does Beckett describe his sermon to the audience?
9. How was the Tempter unsuccessful?
(a) Beckett is not dying for the King.
(b) Beckett chooses to live.
(c) Beckett is dying for love.
(d) Beckett is not dying for glory.
10. At what time of day does the sermon take place?
11. What are the words Beckett quotes from the Bible?
(a) "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men of good will."
(b) "God bless us, every one."
(c) "The Lord is My shepard, I shall not want; He makes me lie down in green pastures."
(d) "For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."
12. What was NOT one of the events that Becket describes in the lives of the disciples?
13. Where is the Interlude set?
(a) The gates of the Cathedral.
(b) The Archbishop's Hall.
(c) The Cathedral.
(d) The King's palace.
14. What, according to Beckett, is celebrated that day?
(a) The Birth of Christ.
(b) The Passion and Death of Christ
(c) The Miracles of Christ.
(d) The Resurrection of Christ.
15. What is one way that Beckett defines peace?
(a) The people of Canterbury at peace with their fate.
(b) The entire world at peace with no war in sight.
(c) The kingdom of England at peace with its neighbors.
(d) The Pope at peace with the King.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who might be the least likely character to show up to Beckett's sermon?
2. Why does Beckett believe we should celebrate martyrs?
3. What is the last word of the Interlude?
4. Which is NOT an adjective you might use to define Beckett's sermon?
5. What Biblical quote does Beckett repeat?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)