|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is another way Beckett refuses to define a martyr?
(a) Someone both mourned and celebrated.
(b) An accident of chance.
(c) Someone who has lost his will to a higher one.
(d) Someone who does not desire anything for himself.
2. On what date does the Interlude take place?
(a) December 24th.
(b) December 29th.
(c) December 25th.
(d) December 30th.
3. What literary tool does T.S. Eliot use throughout the Interlude?
(a) String of consciousness.
(c) Free verse.
4. Fill in the blank:" ...so in Heaven the Saints are most _______, having made themselves most _______..."
(a) Low; high
(b) At peace; at war
(c) Dead; alive.
(d) High; low.
5. What does Beckett see himself as, in reference to his definitions of martyrdom?
(a) A brave man.
(b) A simple man.
(c) A messenger.
(d) An instrument of God.
6. What, according to Beckett, is reenacted during Mass?
(a) The Passion and Death of Christ.
(b) The Miracles of Christ.
(c) The Birth of Christ.
(d) The Resurrection of Christ.
7. Beckett asks the congregation to think about the meaning of what word?
8. How does Beckett feel about martyrs?
(a) He fears them.
(b) He admires them.
(c) He is apathetic about them.
(d) He is confused by them.
9. What is another observation Beckett has about his approaching murder?
(a) He may not be the last martyr.
(b) His murder will shock the world.
(c) He will be the first martyr of Canterbury.
(d) His death will shame the King.
10. Which is NOT an adjective you might use to define Beckett's sermon?
11. What would Beckett have the congregation do?
(a) Avenge his death.
(b) Remember his words.
(c) Forget his words.
(d) See the light.
12. According to Beckett, what is one way you cannot define a martyr?
(a) A man given peace by God.
(b) An instrument of God.
(c) A Christian killed because he is a Christian.
(d) Someone killed for the glory of God.
13. Knowing what you know about the situation Beckett is in and his character traits, what might be the most likely way to describe Beckett's state of being after his last speech to his flock?
14. Who might be the least likely character to show up to Beckett's sermon?
(a) The Priests.
(b) The Tempters.
(c) The Chorus..
(d) Thomas Beckett.
15. What would be the most likely reaction of the Canterbury people that this is Beckett's last sermon?
(a) Apathy and boredom.
(b) Happiness and celebration.
(c) None of these.
(d) Shock and confusion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Fill in the blanks: "For who on the world will both _______ and ________ at once and for the same reason?"
2. What Biblical quote does Beckett repeat?
3. How was the Tempter unsuccessful?
4. According to Beckett's speech, what was the fate of the disciples?
5. Why does Beckett believe the thought of the angels bringing peace is strange?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)