|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is another observation Beckett has about his approaching murder?
(a) His death will shame the King.
(b) He may not be the last martyr.
(c) He will be the first martyr of Canterbury.
(d) His murder will shock the world.
2. What, according to Beckett, is celebrated that day?
(a) The Passion and Death of Christ
(b) The Birth of Christ.
(c) The Miracles of Christ.
(d) The Resurrection of Christ.
3. What, according to Beckett, is reenacted during Mass?
(a) The Miracles of Christ.
(b) The Resurrection of Christ.
(c) The Birth of Christ.
(d) The Passion and Death of Christ.
4. To Beckett, what is martyrdom?
(a) It is always the design of God.
(b) An act of chance.
(c) It is always a request of angels.
(d) It is the result of cruel men.
5. At what time of day does the sermon take place?
6. Why does Beckett believe we should celebrate martyrs?
(a) They die for the salvation of men.
(c) They do it for the glory of God.
7. What is the best way to define the style in which T.S. Eliot wrote the Interlude?
(b) Blank verse.
8. What is the best way to describe what Beckett seems to feel for his congregation?
9. What does Beckett believe about the peace that the world was promised?
(a) It's strange since the world has constantly been at war.
(b) It's laughable since no one has ever felt that peace they were promised.
(c) It's frightening since there have been no angels seen since.
(d) Nothing, he and the people of Canterbury contnue to lead mundane lives.
10. What would be the most likely reaction of the Canterbury people that this is Beckett's last sermon?
(a) Happiness and celebration.
(b) None of these.
(c) Shock and confusion.
(d) Apathy and boredom.
11. Where is the Interlude set?
(a) The gates of the Cathedral.
(b) The Cathedral.
(c) The King's palace.
(d) The Archbishop's Hall.
12. Whose idea is being echoed when Beckett talks of the promise of peace being "a disappointment and a cheat?"
(a) The Four Tempters.
(b) The Three Priests.
(c) The Chorus.
(d) The Four Knights.
13. What is NOT a reason that Beckett gives for God choosing to have martyrs?
(a) To lead them.
(b) To instill fear in them.
(c) To warn them.
(d) To being mankind back to His ways.
14. From what Gospel does Beckett quote in the opening of his sermon?
15. Beckett asks the congregation to think about the meaning of what word?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which specific Canterbury martyr does Beckett ask the congregation to remember?
2. How was the Tempter unsuccessful?
3. What literary tool does T.S. Eliot use throughout the Interlude?
4. What was NOT one of the events that Becket describes in the lives of the disciples?
5. Which is NOT an adjective you might use to define Beckett's sermon?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)