|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the only one who can bring Beckett peace?
(a) The Chorus.
(b) The Tempters..
(c) The Knights.
2. Which specific Canterbury martyr does Beckett ask the congregation to remember?
(a) John the Baptist.
(b) St. John the Apostle.
(c) Archbishop Elphage.
(d) Archbishop Beckett.
3. What does Beckett call his congregation?
(a) My dearest flock.
(b) God's worshippers.
(c) Beloved children.
(d) Dear children of God..
4. Looking at the clues in the Interlude, which Tempter proved to be the most successful?
(a) The Fourth.
(b) The First.
(c) The Second.
(d) The Third.
5. How does Beckett close his sermon?
(a) In Christ's name.
(b) Peace on earth, and goodwill toward men.
(c) In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.
(d) God bless us, every one.
6. How does Beckett feel about martyrs?
(a) He is confused by them.
(b) He fears them.
(c) He admires them.
(d) He is apathetic about them.
7. What, according to Beckett, is reenacted during Mass?
(a) The Miracles of Christ.
(b) The Passion and Death of Christ.
(c) The Birth of Christ.
(d) The Resurrection of Christ.
8. Fill in the blanks: "For who on the world will both _______ and ________ at once and for the same reason?"
(a) Rejoice; weep.
(b) Laugh; weep.
(c) Stay; go.
(d) Mourn; rejoice.
9. To Beckett, what is martyrdom?
(a) It is always a request of angels.
(b) It is always the design of God.
(c) An act of chance.
(d) It is the result of cruel men.
10. Why does Beckett believe we should celebrate martyrs?
(c) They die for the salvation of men.
(d) They do it for the glory of God.
11. At what time of day does the sermon take place?
12. What literary tool does T.S. Eliot use throughout the Interlude?
(c) Free verse.
(d) String of consciousness.
13. Why does Beckett believe the thought of the angels bringing peace is strange?
(a) The world was already a happy place.
(b) The world has been struck by war.
(c) No one listened to them.
(d) The angels ceased to appear
14. Whose words and ideas does Beckett NOT reference in his sermon?
(a) God's angels.
(b) The Four Tempters.
(d) The Three Priests.
15. According to Beckett, what is one way you cannot define a martyr?
(a) A Christian killed because he is a Christian.
(b) An instrument of God.
(c) Someone killed for the glory of God.
(d) A man given peace by God.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the best way to define the style in which T.S. Eliot wrote the Interlude?
2. What may be one of the reasons for this sermon?
3. What Biblical quote does Beckett repeat?
4. What is one of the reasons Beckett would allow himself to be killed?
5. According to Beckett, who was the Lord speaking to when he said, "My peace I leave you, my peace I give unto you?"
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)