|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why might the public react this way?
(a) They hate the dictator Archbishop.
(b) They don't care what happens to Thomas Beckett.
(c) They have great love and loyalty for Thomas Beckett.
(d) They hate the English King.
2. According to Beckett, what is one way you cannot define a martyr?
(a) A Christian killed because he is a Christian.
(b) An instrument of God.
(c) A man given peace by God.
(d) Someone killed for the glory of God.
3. Who does the Third Tempter represent?
(a) The King.
(b) English barons.
(c) English Merchants.
(d) The People of Canterbury.
4. What image does the Chorus keep referring to in their speech as Thomas Beckett is killed?
5. How does the Second Knight believe violence is justified?
(a) To save the King.
(b) To maintain social justice.
(c) To keep the poor in check.
(d) To maintain theiir dignity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first action that the Second Priest wants to take to welcome the Archbishop back to Canterbury?
2. What does the First Priest believe was Becket's character flaw that ultimately brought an end to his friendship with the King?
3. What does the Chorus claim is their purpose in the action of the play?
4. Why does Beckett believe the thought of the angels bringing peace is strange?
5. Who might be the least likely character to show up to Beckett's sermon?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)