|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ruler of England does the Second Priest refer to as "the stubborn King?"
(a) Henry II.
(b) James I.
(c) Edward III.
(d) Richard I.
2. What does the scene change to when the Priests and Beckett exit?
(a) The cathedral.
(c) The gates.
(d) The Archbishop's hall.
3. How does the Second Knight believe violence is justified?
(a) To maintain social justice.
(b) To keep the poor in check.
(c) To save the King.
(d) To maintain theiir dignity.
4. What does the First Priest compare the women of Canterbury to?
(a) Frogs in the treetops.
(b) Horses in the stalls.
(c) Worms in the belly.
(d) Chickens in a coop.
5. What does Beckett see himself as, in reference to his definitions of martyrdom?
(a) A brave man.
(b) An instrument of God.
(c) A messenger.
(d) A simple man.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part One, where does the action of the play take place?
2. What season does the Chorus speak of at the beginning of Part II?
3. How does Thomas Beckett's thought end?: "If the Archbishop cannot trust the Throne/ He has good cause to trust none but _____________"
4. What is NOT a reason that Beckett gives for God choosing to have martyrs?
5. What is an effective speaking tool that Beckett uses in his speech?
This section contains 243 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)