|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Interlude.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To Beckett, what is martyrdom?
(a) It is always the design of God.
(b) An act of chance.
(c) It is always a request of angels.
(d) It is the result of cruel men.
2. What may be one of the reasons for this sermon?
(a) To explain his actions to himself and his followers.
(b) To frighten his followers into submission.
(c) To help him forgivethe King.
(d) To make the congregation sad.
3. Who might be the least likely character to show up to Beckett's sermon?
(a) The Tempters.
(b) The Chorus..
(c) The Priests.
(d) Thomas Beckett.
4. What position did Becket resign when he was made Archbishop?
5. What does the First Priest compare the women of Canterbury to?
(a) Chickens in a coop.
(b) Worms in the belly.
(c) Horses in the stalls.
(d) Frogs in the treetops.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Beckett close his sermon?
2. "The wheel" is spoken of time and time again. In one instance Becket says that "Only the fool, fixed in his folly, may think he can turn the wheel on which he turns." What is the idea of a wheel supposed to symbolize?
3. What would Beckett have the congregation do?
4. What is another observation Beckett has about his approaching murder?
5. How does the Third Tempter describe himself?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)