|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Interlude.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why might the public react this way?
(a) They hate the dictator Archbishop.
(b) They don't care what happens to Thomas Beckett.
(c) They hate the English King.
(d) They have great love and loyalty for Thomas Beckett.
2. Which Biblical story does Beckett mention?
(a) The fall of Azrael the angel from Heaven.
(b) Moses parting the Red Sea.
(c) The Snake appearing to Eve in the Garden of Eden.
(d) The angels appearing to the sheperds of Bethlehem on Christmas.
3. What is another observation Beckett has about his approaching murder?
(a) His death will shame the King.
(b) He will be the first martyr of Canterbury.
(c) He may not be the last martyr.
(d) His murder will shock the world.
4. According to the Third Tempter, what does friendship depend upon?
5. How does Thomas Beckett's thought end?: "If the Archbishop cannot trust the Throne/ He has good cause to trust none but _____________"
(a) The Pope alone.
(b) His people alone.
(c) God alone.
(d) Himself alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose idea is being echoed when Beckett talks of the promise of peace being "a disappointment and a cheat?"
2. What would be the most likely reaction of the Canterbury people that this is Beckett's last sermon?
3. What is the last word of the Interlude?
4. Who does Becket say saved him from the wrath of his enemies?
5. What is another way Beckett refuses to define a martyr?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)