|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Interlude.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first idea that Becket relates to his audience and what does he insist that the Chorus "know and do not know?"
(a) Suffering is everything and everything is suffering.
(b) Life is suffering and suffering is death.
(c) The world is suffering and they are the world.
(d) Action is suffering and suffering is action.
2. What is the best way to describe what Beckett seems to feel for his congregation?
3. Why was the Tempter successful?
(a) Beckett makes peace with the barons.
(b) Beckett ends up accepting his fate.
(c) Beckett plans for an escape.
(d) Beckett makes peace with the King.
4. What does Beckett ask the audience to remember about Christmas mass?
(a) Its meaning and mystery.
(b) The love of God.
(c) Its sadness and greatness.
(d) The hope and peace it offers.
5. What is the first action that the Second Priest wants to take to welcome the Archbishop back to Canterbury?
(a) Have the fires lit in his rooms.
(b) Throw a celebration in his honor.
(c) Have a feast.
(d) Lead a prayer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Becket call "the springtime fancy?"
2. What, according to the First Tempter, "should be more than biting Time can sever?"
3. What group of people does the Chorus consist of?
4. How was the Tempter unsuccessful?
5. What does the Second Tempter tell Beckett he will be like if he continues on course?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)