|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Interlude.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To Beckett, what is martyrdom?
(a) An act of chance.
(b) It is the result of cruel men.
(c) It is always a request of angels.
(d) It is always the design of God.
2. What position did Becket resign when he was made Archbishop?
3. How does Thomas Beckett's thought end?: "If the Archbishop cannot trust the Throne/ He has good cause to trust none but _____________"
(a) Himself alone.
(b) The Pope alone.
(c) God alone.
(d) His people alone.
4. What idea does the Fourth Tempter repeat that Beckett voiced on his first entrance?
(a) Life is suffering and suffering is death.
(b) Action is suffering and suffering is action.
(c) Everything is suffering and suffering is everthing.
(d) Suffering is life and life is action.
5. Whose idea is being echoed when Beckett talks of the promise of peace being "a disappointment and a cheat?"
(a) The Three Priests.
(b) The Four Knights.
(c) The Chorus.
(d) The Four Tempters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another way Beckett refuses to define a martyr?
2. How does the Fourth Tempter claim Beckett can have ultimate glory and power over the King of England?
3. How does Beckett close his sermon?
4. Which specific Canterbury martyr does Beckett ask the congregation to remember?
5. Fill in the blank: "I leave you to the pleasure of your __________, Which will have to be paid for at ______________."
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)