|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Interlude.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what Gospel does Beckett quote in the opening of his sermon?
2. Who does the Third Tempter represent?
(a) English barons.
(b) The King.
(c) English Merchants.
(d) The People of Canterbury.
3. How does Beckett close his sermon?
(a) In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.
(b) In Christ's name.
(c) God bless us, every one.
(d) Peace on earth, and goodwill toward men.
4. When will the First Tempter remember Becket?
(a) On ChristmasEve.
(b) On Christmas Day.
(c) At kissing time below the stairs.
(d) At night when the fires are lit.
5. Looking at the clues in the Interlude, which Tempter proved to be the most successful?
(a) The First.
(b) The Third.
(c) The Second.
(d) The Fourth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Beckett believe that the local bishops would not support a power move like regaining his Chancellorship?
2. What is not one of the topics of Beckett's sermon in the Interlude?
3. What is the best way to define the style in which T.S. Eliot wrote the Interlude?
4. Whose words and ideas does Beckett NOT reference in his sermon?
5. Knowing what you know about the situation Beckett is in and his character traits, what might be the most likely way to describe Beckett's state of being after his last speech to his flock?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)