|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Interlude.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What month does the Second Tempter say Beckett will have power?
(a) The last from the first.
(b) The first.
(c) The last to the last.
(d) The first to the second.
2. Knowing what you know about the situation Beckett is in and his character traits, what might be the most likely way to describe Beckett's state of being after his last speech to his flock?
3. Fill in the blank:" ...so in Heaven the Saints are most _______, having made themselves most _______..."
(a) Dead; alive.
(b) At peace; at war
(c) High; low.
(d) Low; high
4. What is the best way to define the style in which T.S. Eliot wrote the Interlude?
(d) Blank verse.
5. Out of the following choices, which would be the least likely reason behind the sermon?
(a) To submit to the Tempters.
(b) To celebrate martyrdom.
(c) To prepare his followers for his death.
(d) To help define peace for his congregation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Biblical quote does Beckett repeat?
2. What is another way Beckett refuses to define a martyr?
3. What ruler of England does the Second Priest refer to as "the stubborn King?"
4. What is the first idea that Becket relates to his audience and what does he insist that the Chorus "know and do not know?"
5. What does the First Tempter predict for Becket if he does not "leave well alone?"
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)