|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Interlude.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What character(s) opens the play with the first monologue?
(a) Thomas Becket.
(b) The Chorus.
(c) The Priests.
(d) The Messenger.
2. What is not one of the events of the past seven years that the Chorus describes?
(a) The disappearance of several girls.
(b) Brewing beer.
(c) A good harvest.
(d) The town burning down.
3. Which Biblical story does Beckett mention?
(a) Moses parting the Red Sea.
(b) The angels appearing to the sheperds of Bethlehem on Christmas.
(c) The fall of Azrael the angel from Heaven.
(d) The Snake appearing to Eve in the Garden of Eden.
4. What is the feeling of the general public in regard to the Archbishop's return?
5. "The wheel" is spoken of time and time again. In one instance Becket says that "Only the fool, fixed in his folly, may think he can turn the wheel on which he turns." What is the idea of a wheel supposed to symbolize?
(b) The Past.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does the Interlude take place?
2. Who does the Third Tempter represent?
3. What is the first idea that Becket relates to his audience and what does he insist that the Chorus "know and do not know?"
4. What is not one of the topics of Beckett's sermon in the Interlude?
5. What does the First Tempter predict for Becket if he does not "leave well alone?"
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)