|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Interlude.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Second Tempter claim real power is purchased?
(a) At price of a certain submission.
(b) At price of his devotion to God.
(c) At price of an uncertain quantity.
(d) At price of his immortal soul.
2. What was NOT one of the events that Becket describes in the lives of the disciples?
3. Who does Becket say saved him from the wrath of his enemies?
(a) John, the Dean of Salisbury.
(b) The Pope.
(c) The King of France.
(d) King Henry II.
4. Whose idea is being echoed when Beckett talks of the promise of peace being "a disappointment and a cheat?"
(a) The Three Priests.
(b) The Chorus.
(c) The Four Knights.
(d) The Four Tempters.
5. What does the Chorus claim is their purpose in the action of the play?
(a) To witness the events and take no action.
(b) To warn Thomas Becket.
(c) To serve the Priests of the Cathedral.
(d) To prevent a murder.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the opening of the Interlude, how does Beckett describe his sermon to the audience?
2. How does the chorus define its time in Canterbury since the Archbishop left seven years previous?
3. What is another way Beckett refuses to define a martyr?
4. What is not one of the topics of Beckett's sermon in the Interlude?
5. What ruler of England does the Second Priest refer to as "the stubborn King?"
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)