|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Interlude.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is not one of the things that the Tempter describes in his flashback of the "good time" Becket used to enjoy in his service to King Henry?
(a) Fires devouring the winter season.
(b) Singing at nightfall.
(c) Spring melting the winter ice.
(d) Fluting in the meadows.
2. What would be the most likely reaction of the Canterbury people that this is Beckett's last sermon?
(a) Happiness and celebration.
(b) Shock and confusion.
(c) None of these.
(d) Apathy and boredom.
3. What is the first action that the Second Priest wants to take to welcome the Archbishop back to Canterbury?
(a) Have a feast.
(b) Throw a celebration in his honor.
(c) Have the fires lit in his rooms.
(d) Lead a prayer.
4. What character(s) opens the play with the first monologue?
(a) The Messenger.
(b) The Chorus.
(c) The Priests.
(d) Thomas Becket.
5. What does Beckett ask the audience to remember about Christmas mass?
(a) The love of God.
(b) Its sadness and greatness.
(c) Its meaning and mystery.
(d) The hope and peace it offers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first word that Becket speaks on his first entrance?
2. Fill in the blanks: "For who on the world will both _______ and ________ at once and for the same reason?"
3. Where is the Interlude set?
4. Knowing what you know about the situation Beckett is in and his character traits, what might be the most likely way to describe Beckett's state of being after his last speech to his flock?
5. According to the Four Tempters, what is man's life?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)