|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Interlude.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one thing the Third Tempter and his party want from Beckett?
(a) The blessing of God.
(b) Favor from the Church.
(d) Happiness for the People of England.
2. What is one way that Beckett defines peace?
(a) The people of Canterbury at peace with their fate.
(b) The entire world at peace with no war in sight.
(c) The Pope at peace with the King.
(d) The kingdom of England at peace with its neighbors.
3. What is another way Beckett defines peace?
(a) The swept hearth.
(b) The sleeping dog.
(c) The setting sun.
(d) The stillness of water.
4. Why does Beckett believe we should celebrate martyrs?
(a) They do it for the glory of God.
(d) They die for the salvation of men.
5. What does Becket call "the springtime fancy?"
(c) The impossible, the undesirable .
Short Answer Questions
1. Fill in the blanks: "For who on the world will both _______ and ________ at once and for the same reason?"
2. According to the Four Tempters, what is man's life?
3. What does the Messenger call the relationship between the King and the Archbishop?
4. Whose idea is being echoed when Beckett talks of the promise of peace being "a disappointment and a cheat?"
5. What may be one of the reasons for this sermon?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)