|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does Murder in the Cathedral take place?
2. What is one thing the Third Tempter and his party want from Beckett?
(b) Happiness for the People of England.
(c) Favor from the Church.
(d) The blessing of God.
3. Why does Beckett believe that the local bishops would not support a power move like regaining his Chancellorship?
(a) Because the Pope excommunicated Beckett.
(b) Because the Pope would not allow it.
(c) Because he excommunicated them.
(d) Because the King would not allow it.
4. What does the Chorus claim is their purpose in the action of the play?
(a) To witness the events and take no action.
(b) To prevent a murder.
(c) To warn Thomas Becket.
(d) To serve the Priests of the Cathedral.
5. What is the first word that Becket speaks on his first entrance?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Becket claim is the "substance of our first act?"
2. What does Becket call "the springtime fancy?"
3. What does the Messenger say were the last words of Thomas Becket to the King of England before the Archbishop's exile?
4. "The wheel" is spoken of time and time again. In one instance Becket says that "Only the fool, fixed in his folly, may think he can turn the wheel on which he turns." What is the idea of a wheel supposed to symbolize?
5. What are the priests eager to know once the Messenger has delivered his initial message?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)