|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Second Tempter tell Beckett he will be like if he continues on course?
(a) An old dog, circled with wolves.
(b) A young doe, circled with wolves.
(c) An old fox, circled with hounds.
(d) An old stag, circled with hounds.
2. What does the Chorus claim is their purpose in the action of the play?
(a) To prevent a murder.
(b) To serve the Priests of the Cathedral.
(c) To warn Thomas Becket.
(d) To witness the events and take no action.
3. How does the Fourth Tempter claim Beckett can have ultimate glory and power over the King of England?
(a) By becoming the Chancellor again.
(b) By killing the King.
(c) By giving his money to the people.
(d) By becoming a martyr.
4. What is one thing the Third Tempter and his party want from Beckett?
(b) The blessing of God.
(c) Happiness for the People of England.
(d) Favor from the Church.
5. According to the Third Tempter, what does friendship depend upon?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many visitors did Beckett expect?
2. What important message does the Messenger convey to the Priests?
3. Who states that "Power is present. Holiness hereafter?"
4. What is the first action that the Second Priest wants to take to welcome the Archbishop back to Canterbury?
5. What ruler of England does the Second Priest refer to as "the stubborn King?"
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)