|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is not one of the ways the Chorus, the priests and the Tempters describe an unexpected death?
(a) Taking a shock to the skull.
(b) Attacked by dogs.
(c) Slipping on a step.
(d) Drowning in a ditch.
2. According to the Chorus, what does the Archbishop bring into Canterbury?
3. According to the information in the opening monologue, how many years have passed since the Archbishop has left the city?
4. What doesn't the Third Priest see in "the art of temporal government?"
(a) Frequent Malversation.
5. How does the structure of the dialogue change during Becket's first temptation?
(a) All of the characters speak in riddles.
(b) The play becomes one monologue.
(c) The First Tempter speaks in verse.
(d) All of the characters other than Beckett fall silent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the First Tempter tell Becket he remembers?
2. What group of people does the Chorus consist of?
3. Who states that "Power is present. Holiness hereafter?"
4. What does the Second Tempter tell Beckett he will be like if he continues on course?
5. What ruler of England does the Second Priest refer to as "the stubborn King?"
This section contains 265 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)