|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Third Tempter describe himself?
(a) A man who is rich in spirit
(b) A surly English peasant
(c) A rough, straightforward Englishman.
(d) A rough and angry follower of the king
2. According to the Third Tempter, what does friendship depend upon?
3. What metaphor does the Third Priest use to compare the relationship between the King and the Archbishop?
(a) Fire and water.
(b) A hammer and an anvil.
(c) A rock and a hard place.
(d) A wolf and a sheep.
4. Why does Beckett believe that the local bishops would not support a power move like regaining his Chancellorship?
(a) Because the Pope excommunicated Beckett.
(b) Because the King would not allow it.
(c) Because the Pope would not allow it.
(d) Because he excommunicated them.
5. Who does Becket say may have intercepted his letters and planned his demise?
(a) King Henry II.
(b) Greedy merchants.
(c) Rebellious bishops.
(d) The King of France.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first word that Becket speaks on his first entrance?
2. What character(s) opens the play with the first monologue?
3. What doesn't the Third Priest see in "the art of temporal government?"
4. What group of people does the Chorus consist of?
5. What does the Messenger say were the last words of Thomas Becket to the King of England before the Archbishop's exile?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)