|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Chorus describe itself?
(a) Small folk.
(b) Poor folk.
(c) Representative of all people of Canterbury.
(d) Lonely folk.
2. What does Becket call "the springtime fancy?"
(c) The impossible, the undesirable .
3. What is the first idea that Becket relates to his audience and what does he insist that the Chorus "know and do not know?"
(a) Action is suffering and suffering is action.
(b) The world is suffering and they are the world.
(c) Suffering is everything and everything is suffering.
(d) Life is suffering and suffering is death.
4. What does Beckett claim the Fourth Tempter offers?
(a) An End to Suffering.
(b) Hopes that Die.
(c) Dreams to Damnation.
(d) Promises of Nothing.
5. What important message does the Messenger convey to the Priests?
(a) The Archbishop has left France.
(b) The King has ordered the execution of Thomas Becket.
(c) The Pope has excommunicated the King
(d) The Archbishop has arrived at the city.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Second Tempter tell Beckett he will be like if he continues on course?
2. Finish the thought of the First Tempter: "A man will often love what he ______."
3. What does the First Priest believe was Becket's character flaw that ultimately brought an end to his friendship with the King?
4. Why does Beckett believe that the local bishops would not support a power move like regaining his Chancellorship?
5. Fill in the blank: "I leave you to the pleasure of your __________, Which will have to be paid for at ______________."
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)