|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does Murder in the Cathedral take place?
2. What does Beckett claim the Fourth Tempter offers?
(a) Hopes that Die.
(b) Dreams to Damnation.
(c) Promises of Nothing.
(d) An End to Suffering.
3. How does the Third Tempter describe himself?
(a) A rough, straightforward Englishman.
(b) A surly English peasant
(c) A rough and angry follower of the king
(d) A man who is rich in spirit
4. Who does Becket say may have intercepted his letters and planned his demise?
(a) The King of France.
(b) Greedy merchants.
(c) Rebellious bishops.
(d) King Henry II.
5. Finish the thought of the First Tempter: "A man will often love what he ______."
Short Answer Questions
1. What character(s) opens the play with the first monologue?
2. What does the Messenger call the relationship between the King and the Archbishop?
3. What does the First Tempter tell Becket he remembers?
4. How does the Second Tempter claim real power is purchased?
5. According to the information in the opening monologue, how many years have passed since the Archbishop has left the city?
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)