|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Messenger say were the last words of Thomas Becket to the King of England before the Archbishop's exile?
(a) My Lord, I leave you as a man, whom you shall not see again for seven years.
(b) My Lord, I leave you as a man whom in this life I shall not see again.
(c) My Lord, I leave you as a man, whom you shall see again as an angel.
(d) My Lord, I leave England, a land I shall not see again.
2. Fill in the blank: "I leave you to the pleasure of your __________, Which will have to be paid for at ______________."
(a) life; your strife.
(b) higher vices; higher prices.
(c) piety; reckoning.
(d) lies; the end.
3. What group of people does the Chorus consist of?
(a) The Hand of God.
(b) The Poor of Canterbury.
(c) The Women of Canturbury.
(d) The Ghosts of Canterbury.
4. According to the Chorus, what does the Archbishop bring into Canterbury?
5. After the first scene featuring the three Priests, the Chorus speaks again. What do they wish the Archbishop to do?
(a) Make peace with the King.
(b) Return to France.
(c) Turn the wheel.
(d) Bless them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What doesn't the Third Priest see in "the art of temporal government?"
2. What is the feeling of the general public in regard to the Archbishop's return?
3. What does the First Tempter tell Becket he remembers?
4. What is the first idea that Becket relates to his audience and what does he insist that the Chorus "know and do not know?"
5. According to the Four Tempters, what is man's life?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)