|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is not one of the ways the Chorus, the priests and the Tempters describe an unexpected death?
(a) Taking a shock to the skull.
(b) Slipping on a step.
(c) Drowning in a ditch.
(d) Attacked by dogs.
2. Who states that "Power is present. Holiness hereafter?"
(a) The Second Tempter.
(b) Thomas Beckett.
(c) The Fourth Tempter.
(d) The Second Tempter.
3. What metaphor does the Third Priest use to compare the relationship between the King and the Archbishop?
(a) A wolf and a sheep.
(b) A hammer and an anvil.
(c) A rock and a hard place.
(d) Fire and water.
4. According to the Four Tempters, what is man's life?
(a) A cheat and a disappointment.
(b) An inconvenience to God.
(c) A fleeting moment.
(d) A viscious cycle.
5. What month does the Second Tempter say Beckett will have power?
(a) The first to the second.
(b) The last to the last.
(c) The last from the first.
(d) The first.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the First Priest believe was Becket's character flaw that ultimately brought an end to his friendship with the King?
2. Fill in the blank: "I leave you to the pleasure of your __________, Which will have to be paid for at ______________."
3. According to the information in the opening monologue, how many years have passed since the Archbishop has left the city?
4. What does the Messenger say were the last words of Thomas Becket to the King of England before the Archbishop's exile?
5. What is one thing the Third Tempter and his party want from Beckett?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)