|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Finish the thought of the First Tempter: "A man will often love what he ______."
2. What are the priests eager to know once the Messenger has delivered his initial message?
(a) Where the Archbishop is staying.
(b) If the King has learned of the Archbishop's return from France.
(c) If the King and the Archbishop have made peace.
(d) How much time they have before the Archbishop arrives.
3. After the first scene featuring the three Priests, the Chorus speaks again. What do they wish the Archbishop to do?
(a) Turn the wheel.
(b) Return to France.
(c) Bless them.
(d) Make peace with the King.
4. Who does Becket say saved him from the wrath of his enemies?
(a) King Henry II.
(b) The King of France.
(c) The Pope.
(d) John, the Dean of Salisbury.
5. What important message does the Messenger convey to the Priests?
(a) The Archbishop has arrived at the city.
(b) The Pope has excommunicated the King
(c) The King has ordered the execution of Thomas Becket.
(d) The Archbishop has left France.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Second Tempter claim real power is purchased?
2. What does the Messenger call the relationship between the King and the Archbishop?
3. Who states that "Power is present. Holiness hereafter?"
4. How does the Third Tempter describe himself?
5. What does the Chorus claim is their purpose in the action of the play?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)