|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Messenger call the relationship between the King and the Archbishop?
(a) A violent affair.
(b) A patched-up affair.
(c) A peaceful affair.
(d) A silly affair.
2. What is the first idea that Becket relates to his audience and what does he insist that the Chorus "know and do not know?"
(a) Life is suffering and suffering is death.
(b) Action is suffering and suffering is action.
(c) The world is suffering and they are the world.
(d) Suffering is everything and everything is suffering.
3. What does the Chorus claim is their purpose in the action of the play?
(a) To prevent a murder.
(b) To witness the events and take no action.
(c) To warn Thomas Becket.
(d) To serve the Priests of the Cathedral.
4. Who does the Third Tempter represent?
(a) The People of Canterbury.
(b) English Merchants.
(c) English barons.
(d) The King.
5. What does the Second Tempter tell Beckett he will be like if he continues on course?
(a) An old dog, circled with wolves.
(b) An old fox, circled with hounds.
(c) An old stag, circled with hounds.
(d) A young doe, circled with wolves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What group of people does the Chorus consist of?
2. When will the First Tempter remember Becket?
3. What does the First Tempter tell Becket he remembers?
4. How does the Fourth Tempter claim Beckett can have ultimate glory and power over the King of England?
5. In what year does Murder in the Cathedral take place?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)