|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What metaphor does the Third Priest use to compare the relationship between the King and the Archbishop?
(a) Fire and water.
(b) A rock and a hard place.
(c) A wolf and a sheep.
(d) A hammer and an anvil.
2. What ruler of England does the Second Priest refer to as "the stubborn King?"
(a) James I.
(b) Edward III.
(c) Richard I.
(d) Henry II.
3. What character(s) opens the play with the first monologue?
(a) The Chorus.
(b) The Priests.
(c) Thomas Becket.
(d) The Messenger.
4. What position did Becket resign when he was made Archbishop?
5. What idea does the Fourth Tempter repeat that Beckett voiced on his first entrance?
(a) Everything is suffering and suffering is everthing.
(b) Suffering is life and life is action.
(c) Life is suffering and suffering is death.
(d) Action is suffering and suffering is action.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does Murder in the Cathedral take place?
2. How many visitors did Beckett expect?
3. Who does Becket say may have intercepted his letters and planned his demise?
4. What does the Messenger call the relationship between the King and the Archbishop?
5. What is it that the Second Tempter offers Becket?
This section contains 223 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)