|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the priests eager to know once the Messenger has delivered his initial message?
(a) If the King has learned of the Archbishop's return from France.
(b) If the King and the Archbishop have made peace.
(c) Where the Archbishop is staying.
(d) How much time they have before the Archbishop arrives.
2. According to the Four Tempters, what is man's life?
(a) A cheat and a disappointment.
(b) A viscious cycle.
(c) A fleeting moment.
(d) An inconvenience to God.
3. How does the chorus define its time in Canterbury since the Archbishop left seven years previous?
(a) Living and partly dying.
(b) Living and partly suffering.
(c) Dying and partly dying.
(d) Living and partly living.
4. What is the first idea that Becket relates to his audience and what does he insist that the Chorus "know and do not know?"
(a) The world is suffering and they are the world.
(b) Suffering is everything and everything is suffering.
(c) Life is suffering and suffering is death.
(d) Action is suffering and suffering is action.
5. How does the Fourth Tempter claim Beckett can have ultimate glory and power over the King of England?
(a) By killing the King.
(b) By becoming a martyr.
(c) By becoming the Chancellor again.
(d) By giving his money to the people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Becket call "the springtime fancy?"
2. What does the First Priest compare the women of Canterbury to?
3. When will the First Tempter remember Becket?
4. What important message does the Messenger convey to the Priests?
5. What month does the Second Tempter say Beckett will have power?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)