|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Becket say saved him from the wrath of his enemies?
(a) John, the Dean of Salisbury.
(b) The Pope.
(c) The King of France.
(d) King Henry II.
2. What does the First Tempter predict for Becket if he does not "leave well alone?"
(a) HIs goose may be cooked.
(b) His fat lady will sing.
(c) God will show his wrath.
(d) Everything will be set right.
3. According to the Chorus, what does the Archbishop bring into Canterbury?
4. Who does the Third Tempter represent?
(a) English Merchants.
(b) The People of Canterbury.
(c) English barons.
(d) The King.
5. According to the Four Tempters, what is man's life?
(a) A fleeting moment.
(b) An inconvenience to God.
(c) A viscious cycle.
(d) A cheat and a disappointment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first action that the Second Priest wants to take to welcome the Archbishop back to Canterbury?
2. According to the Third Tempter, what does friendship depend upon?
3. How does the Chorus describe itself?
4. What does Becket claim is the "substance of our first act?"
5. How does the structure of the dialogue change during Becket's first temptation?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)