|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Fourth Tempter claim Beckett can have ultimate glory and power over the King of England?
(a) By killing the King.
(b) By becoming a martyr.
(c) By giving his money to the people.
(d) By becoming the Chancellor again.
2. What does the Messenger call the relationship between the King and the Archbishop?
(a) A silly affair.
(b) A patched-up affair.
(c) A violent affair.
(d) A peaceful affair.
3. How does the Third Tempter describe himself?
(a) A man who is rich in spirit
(b) A surly English peasant
(c) A rough, straightforward Englishman.
(d) A rough and angry follower of the king
4. What does Beckett believe to be the last temptation and what he fears the most?
(a) Doing the right deed for the wrong reason.
(b) Doing the wrong thing for the right reason.
(d) Doing the thing you cannot do.
5. What group of people does the Chorus consist of?
(a) The Women of Canturbury.
(b) The Hand of God.
(c) The Poor of Canterbury.
(d) The Ghosts of Canterbury.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Second Tempter tell Beckett he will be like if he continues on course?
2. According to the Third Tempter, what does friendship depend upon?
3. What character(s) opens the play with the first monologue?
4. Who does Becket say may have intercepted his letters and planned his demise?
5. Why is the fourth visitor the most successful Tempter?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)