|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Thomas Beckett's thought end?: "If the Archbishop cannot trust the Throne/ He has good cause to trust none but _____________"
(a) Himself alone.
(b) His people alone.
(c) God alone.
(d) The Pope alone.
2. According to the Third Tempter, what does friendship depend upon?
3. What important message does the Messenger convey to the Priests?
(a) The King has ordered the execution of Thomas Becket.
(b) The Archbishop has left France.
(c) The Archbishop has arrived at the city.
(d) The Pope has excommunicated the King
4. Who does Becket say may have intercepted his letters and planned his demise?
(a) The King of France.
(b) Greedy merchants.
(c) Rebellious bishops.
(d) King Henry II.
5. In Part One, where does the action of the play take place?
(a) The Archbishop's hall.
(b) The Cathedral.
(c) The King's palace.
(d) Outside the gates of the Cathedral.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Becket claim is the "substance of our first act?"
2. How does the Chorus describe itself?
3. How many visitors did Beckett expect?
4. After the first scene featuring the three Priests, the Chorus speaks again. What do they wish the Archbishop to do?
5. What does the Chorus claim is their purpose in the action of the play?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)