|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the Four Tempters, what is man's life?
(a) A cheat and a disappointment.
(b) An inconvenience to God.
(c) A viscious cycle.
(d) A fleeting moment.
2. What does Becket claim is the "substance of our first act?"
(a) Temptation, and the life with temptation.
(b) God and his mercy.
(c) God and his greatness.
(d) Shadows, and the strife with shadows.
3. Who are the first two characters who speak of "the wheel" on separate occasions?
(a) The First Priest and the Second Priest.
(b) The Third Priest and Thomas Becket.
(c) The First Priest and the First Tempter.
(d) The Chorus and Thomas Becket.
4. What character(s) opens the play with the first monologue?
(a) The Chorus.
(b) The Priests.
(c) Thomas Becket.
(d) The Messenger.
5. What is the feeling of the general public in regard to the Archbishop's return?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who states that "Power is present. Holiness hereafter?"
2. What does the First Priest compare the women of Canterbury to?
3. In what city of England does the story take place?
4. According to the Third Tempter, what does friendship depend upon?
5. What are the priests eager to know once the Messenger has delivered his initial message?
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)