|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the Four Tempters, what is man's life?
(a) A viscious cycle.
(b) A fleeting moment.
(c) An inconvenience to God.
(d) A cheat and a disappointment.
2. What does the First Priest compare the women of Canterbury to?
(a) Chickens in a coop.
(b) Horses in the stalls.
(c) Frogs in the treetops.
(d) Worms in the belly.
3. How does the Chorus describe itself?
(a) Representative of all people of Canterbury.
(b) Poor folk.
(c) Lonely folk.
(d) Small folk.
4. How many visitors did Beckett expect?
5. How does the structure of the dialogue change during Becket's first temptation?
(a) The First Tempter speaks in verse.
(b) All of the characters speak in riddles.
(c) All of the characters other than Beckett fall silent.
(d) The play becomes one monologue.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first word that Becket speaks on his first entrance?
2. What, according to the First Tempter, "should be more than biting Time can sever?"
3. What month does the Second Tempter say Beckett will have power?
4. How does the Second Tempter claim real power is purchased?
5. What does the Chorus claim is their purpose in the action of the play?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)