|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Chorus claim is their purpose in the action of the play?
(a) To prevent a murder.
(b) To serve the Priests of the Cathedral.
(c) To witness the events and take no action.
(d) To warn Thomas Becket.
2. What is it that the Second Tempter offers Becket?
(a) His former political position.
(b) A new life.
(c) A new love.
(d) The English throne.
3. What idea does the Fourth Tempter repeat that Beckett voiced on his first entrance?
(a) Action is suffering and suffering is action.
(b) Suffering is life and life is action.
(c) Life is suffering and suffering is death.
(d) Everything is suffering and suffering is everthing.
4. What character(s) opens the play with the first monologue?
(a) The Messenger.
(b) Thomas Becket.
(c) The Chorus.
(d) The Priests.
5. What does the First Tempter predict for Becket if he does not "leave well alone?"
(a) HIs goose may be cooked.
(b) His fat lady will sing.
(c) God will show his wrath.
(d) Everything will be set right.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is not one of the things that the Tempter describes in his flashback of the "good time" Becket used to enjoy in his service to King Henry?
2. What important message does the Messenger convey to the Priests?
3. What, according to the First Tempter, "should be more than biting Time can sever?"
4. What does Becket claim is the "substance of our first act?"
5. Who states that "Power is present. Holiness hereafter?"
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)