|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does Murder in the Cathedral take place?
2. How many visitors did Beckett expect?
3. What does the First Priest compare the women of Canterbury to?
(a) Frogs in the treetops.
(b) Horses in the stalls.
(c) Worms in the belly.
(d) Chickens in a coop.
4. What does the Chorus claim is their purpose in the action of the play?
(a) To warn Thomas Becket.
(b) To prevent a murder.
(c) To witness the events and take no action.
(d) To serve the Priests of the Cathedral.
5. Why does Beckett believe that the local bishops would not support a power move like regaining his Chancellorship?
(a) Because the King would not allow it.
(b) Because the Pope excommunicated Beckett.
(c) Because he excommunicated them.
(d) Because the Pope would not allow it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Becket say saved him from the wrath of his enemies?
2. What does the Messenger say were the last words of Thomas Becket to the King of England before the Archbishop's exile?
3. What is the first idea that Becket relates to his audience and what does he insist that the Chorus "know and do not know?"
4. In Part One, where does the action of the play take place?
5. What does Becket call "the springtime fancy?"
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)