|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the information in the opening monologue, how many years have passed since the Archbishop has left the city?
2. In Part One, where does the action of the play take place?
(a) The Archbishop's hall.
(b) The Cathedral.
(c) The King's palace.
(d) Outside the gates of the Cathedral.
3. What is the first idea that Becket relates to his audience and what does he insist that the Chorus "know and do not know?"
(a) Life is suffering and suffering is death.
(b) The world is suffering and they are the world.
(c) Suffering is everything and everything is suffering.
(d) Action is suffering and suffering is action.
4. What is the first word that Becket speaks on his first entrance?
5. What does the First Priest believe was Becket's character flaw that ultimately brought an end to his friendship with the King?
Short Answer Questions
1. What ruler of England does the Second Priest refer to as "the stubborn King?"
2. Who states that "Power is present. Holiness hereafter?"
3. What is the feeling of the general public in regard to the Archbishop's return?
4. What is one thing the Third Tempter and his party want from Beckett?
5. Who are the first two characters who speak of "the wheel" on separate occasions?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)