|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Messenger call the relationship between the King and the Archbishop?
(a) A violent affair.
(b) A silly affair.
(c) A peaceful affair.
(d) A patched-up affair.
2. What does Becket claim is the "substance of our first act?"
(a) God and his greatness.
(b) Temptation, and the life with temptation.
(c) Shadows, and the strife with shadows.
(d) God and his mercy.
3. In what city of England does the story take place?
4. What month does the Second Tempter say Beckett will have power?
(a) The last from the first.
(b) The first.
(c) The last to the last.
(d) The first to the second.
5. According to the Four Tempters, what is man's life?
(a) A fleeting moment.
(b) A cheat and a disappointment.
(c) An inconvenience to God.
(d) A viscious cycle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What group of people does the Chorus consist of?
2. According to the information in the opening monologue, how many years have passed since the Archbishop has left the city?
3. Finish the thought of the First Tempter: "A man will often love what he ______."
4. What does the First Priest believe was Becket's character flaw that ultimately brought an end to his friendship with the King?
5. What important message does the Messenger convey to the Priests?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)