|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What group of people does the Chorus consist of?
(a) The Hand of God.
(b) The Poor of Canterbury.
(c) The Ghosts of Canterbury.
(d) The Women of Canturbury.
2. What does Becket call "the springtime fancy?"
(c) The impossible, the undesirable .
3. Who does Becket say saved him from the wrath of his enemies?
(a) The Pope.
(b) King Henry II.
(c) John, the Dean of Salisbury.
(d) The King of France.
4. What is the first idea that Becket relates to his audience and what does he insist that the Chorus "know and do not know?"
(a) Suffering is everything and everything is suffering.
(b) Action is suffering and suffering is action.
(c) The world is suffering and they are the world.
(d) Life is suffering and suffering is death.
5. "The wheel" is spoken of time and time again. In one instance Becket says that "Only the fool, fixed in his folly, may think he can turn the wheel on which he turns." What is the idea of a wheel supposed to symbolize?
(b) The Past.
Short Answer Questions
1. What month does the Second Tempter say Beckett will have power?
2. What does Beckett believe to be the last temptation and what he fears the most?
3. What position did Becket resign when he was made Archbishop?
4. What does the Third Tempter believe upon his arrival?
5. What metaphor does the Third Priest use to compare the relationship between the King and the Archbishop?
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)