|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does Murder in the Cathedral take place?
2. What metaphor does the Third Priest use to compare the relationship between the King and the Archbishop?
(a) A wolf and a sheep.
(b) A rock and a hard place.
(c) A hammer and an anvil.
(d) Fire and water.
3. What does Beckett claim the Fourth Tempter offers?
(a) Promises of Nothing.
(b) Dreams to Damnation.
(c) Hopes that Die.
(d) An End to Suffering.
4. When will the First Tempter remember Becket?
(a) At night when the fires are lit.
(b) At kissing time below the stairs.
(c) On Christmas Day.
(d) On ChristmasEve.
5. After the first scene featuring the three Priests, the Chorus speaks again. What do they wish the Archbishop to do?
(a) Turn the wheel.
(b) Make peace with the King.
(c) Return to France.
(d) Bless them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ruler of England does the Second Priest refer to as "the stubborn King?"
2. What does the Chorus claim is their purpose in the action of the play?
3. According to the information in the opening monologue, how many years have passed since the Archbishop has left the city?
4. What doesn't the Third Priest see in "the art of temporal government?"
5. What is it that the Second Tempter offers Becket?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)