|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the structure of the dialogue change during Becket's first temptation?
(a) All of the characters other than Beckett fall silent.
(b) All of the characters speak in riddles.
(c) The play becomes one monologue.
(d) The First Tempter speaks in verse.
2. What does Beckett believe to be the last temptation and what he fears the most?
(b) Doing the thing you cannot do.
(c) Doing the right deed for the wrong reason.
(d) Doing the wrong thing for the right reason.
3. According to the Chorus, what does the Archbishop bring into Canterbury?
4. What does the First Tempter tell Becket he remembers?
(a) The good time past.
(b) His loyalty to the king.
(c) The hard times of the poor.
(d) The danger he is in.
5. What does the Second Tempter tell Beckett he will be like if he continues on course?
(a) An old stag, circled with hounds.
(b) An old dog, circled with wolves.
(c) A young doe, circled with wolves.
(d) An old fox, circled with hounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, according to the First Tempter, "should be more than biting Time can sever?"
2. After the first scene featuring the three Priests, the Chorus speaks again. What do they wish the Archbishop to do?
3. According to the information in the opening monologue, how many years have passed since the Archbishop has left the city?
4. What is not one of the things that the Tempter describes in his flashback of the "good time" Becket used to enjoy in his service to King Henry?
5. What position did Becket resign when he was made Archbishop?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)