|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the First Priest compare the women of Canterbury to?
(a) Horses in the stalls.
(b) Worms in the belly.
(c) Frogs in the treetops.
(d) Chickens in a coop.
2. How many visitors did Beckett expect?
3. What, according to the First Tempter, "should be more than biting Time can sever?"
4. What does the First Tempter tell Becket he remembers?
(a) The danger he is in.
(b) The good time past.
(c) The hard times of the poor.
(d) His loyalty to the king.
5. What does Becket claim is the "substance of our first act?"
(a) Temptation, and the life with temptation.
(b) God and his mercy.
(c) God and his greatness.
(d) Shadows, and the strife with shadows.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Messenger call the relationship between the King and the Archbishop?
2. What position did Becket resign when he was made Archbishop?
3. What is the first idea that Becket relates to his audience and what does he insist that the Chorus "know and do not know?"
4. Who does Becket say may have intercepted his letters and planned his demise?
5. How does the Third Tempter describe himself?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)