|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first idea that Becket relates to his audience and what does he insist that the Chorus "know and do not know?"
(a) Action is suffering and suffering is action.
(b) Life is suffering and suffering is death.
(c) Suffering is everything and everything is suffering.
(d) The world is suffering and they are the world.
2. How many visitors did Beckett expect?
3. What is not one of the events of the past seven years that the Chorus describes?
(a) Brewing beer.
(b) The disappearance of several girls.
(c) The town burning down.
(d) A good harvest.
4. What character(s) opens the play with the first monologue?
(a) The Chorus.
(b) Thomas Becket.
(c) The Priests.
(d) The Messenger.
5. Who does Becket say may have intercepted his letters and planned his demise?
(a) Rebellious bishops.
(b) King Henry II.
(c) The King of France.
(d) Greedy merchants.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part One, where does the action of the play take place?
2. What does the Second Tempter tell Beckett he will be like if he continues on course?
3. How does Thomas Beckett's thought end?: "If the Archbishop cannot trust the Throne/ He has good cause to trust none but _____________"
4. Who does the Third Tempter represent?
5. What does the First Priest compare the women of Canterbury to?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)