|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Beckett believe to be the last temptation and what he fears the most?
(b) Doing the wrong thing for the right reason.
(c) Doing the right deed for the wrong reason.
(d) Doing the thing you cannot do.
2. What does the First Tempter tell Becket he remembers?
(a) The danger he is in.
(b) The good time past.
(c) The hard times of the poor.
(d) His loyalty to the king.
3. What ruler of England does the Second Priest refer to as "the stubborn King?"
(a) Edward III.
(b) Henry II.
(c) James I.
(d) Richard I.
4. What is not one of the events of the past seven years that the Chorus describes?
(a) The town burning down.
(b) Brewing beer.
(c) The disappearance of several girls.
(d) A good harvest.
5. Who are the first two characters who speak of "the wheel" on separate occasions?
(a) The Chorus and Thomas Becket.
(b) The First Priest and the Second Priest.
(c) The First Priest and the First Tempter.
(d) The Third Priest and Thomas Becket.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Becket say saved him from the wrath of his enemies?
2. What does the Chorus claim is their purpose in the action of the play?
3. What character(s) opens the play with the first monologue?
4. What, according to the First Tempter, "should be more than biting Time can sever?"
5. According to the Third Tempter, what does friendship depend upon?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)