|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is not one of the ways the Chorus, the priests and the Tempters describe an unexpected death?
(a) Taking a shock to the skull.
(b) Attacked by dogs.
(c) Slipping on a step.
(d) Drowning in a ditch.
2. Fill in the blank: "I leave you to the pleasure of your __________, Which will have to be paid for at ______________."
(a) higher vices; higher prices.
(b) life; your strife.
(c) lies; the end.
(d) piety; reckoning.
3. Who states that "Power is present. Holiness hereafter?"
(a) The Fourth Tempter.
(b) The Second Tempter.
(c) The Second Tempter.
(d) Thomas Beckett.
4. What does the First Tempter tell Becket he remembers?
(a) His loyalty to the king.
(b) The danger he is in.
(c) The hard times of the poor.
(d) The good time past.
5. What is the first action that the Second Priest wants to take to welcome the Archbishop back to Canterbury?
(a) Throw a celebration in his honor.
(b) Have the fires lit in his rooms.
(c) Lead a prayer.
(d) Have a feast.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the information in the opening monologue, how many years have passed since the Archbishop has left the city?
2. How does the Fourth Tempter claim Beckett can have ultimate glory and power over the King of England?
3. What does the First Priest compare the women of Canterbury to?
4. How does Thomas Beckett's thought end?: "If the Archbishop cannot trust the Throne/ He has good cause to trust none but _____________"
5. What ruler of England does the Second Priest refer to as "the stubborn King?"
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)