|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who states that "Power is present. Holiness hereafter?"
(a) The Second Tempter.
(b) The Second Tempter.
(c) Thomas Beckett.
(d) The Fourth Tempter.
2. According to the information in the opening monologue, how many years have passed since the Archbishop has left the city?
3. Why does Beckett believe that the local bishops would not support a power move like regaining his Chancellorship?
(a) Because the King would not allow it.
(b) Because the Pope would not allow it.
(c) Because the Pope excommunicated Beckett.
(d) Because he excommunicated them.
4. After the first scene featuring the three Priests, the Chorus speaks again. What do they wish the Archbishop to do?
(a) Bless them.
(b) Make peace with the King.
(c) Turn the wheel.
(d) Return to France.
5. According to the Chorus, what does the Archbishop bring into Canterbury?
Short Answer Questions
1. What important message does the Messenger convey to the Priests?
2. Why is the fourth visitor the most successful Tempter?
3. What position did Becket resign when he was made Archbishop?
4. In what year does Murder in the Cathedral take place?
5. What does Becket claim is the "substance of our first act?"
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)