|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What character(s) opens the play with the first monologue?
(a) The Priests.
(b) The Chorus.
(c) The Messenger.
(d) Thomas Becket.
2. What is not one of the ways the Chorus, the priests and the Tempters describe an unexpected death?
(a) Attacked by dogs.
(b) Drowning in a ditch.
(c) Taking a shock to the skull.
(d) Slipping on a step.
3. What are the priests eager to know once the Messenger has delivered his initial message?
(a) How much time they have before the Archbishop arrives.
(b) If the King has learned of the Archbishop's return from France.
(c) If the King and the Archbishop have made peace.
(d) Where the Archbishop is staying.
4. What does the Messenger say were the last words of Thomas Becket to the King of England before the Archbishop's exile?
(a) My Lord, I leave you as a man whom in this life I shall not see again.
(b) My Lord, I leave you as a man, whom you shall not see again for seven years.
(c) My Lord, I leave you as a man, whom you shall see again as an angel.
(d) My Lord, I leave England, a land I shall not see again.
5. According to the Third Tempter, what does friendship depend upon?
Short Answer Questions
1. What important message does the Messenger convey to the Priests?
2. How does the Second Tempter claim real power is purchased?
3. What does the Chorus claim is their purpose in the action of the play?
4. How does the structure of the dialogue change during Becket's first temptation?
5. What does Becket claim is the "substance of our first act?"
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)