|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the priests eager to know once the Messenger has delivered his initial message?
(a) How much time they have before the Archbishop arrives.
(b) If the King has learned of the Archbishop's return from France.
(c) Where the Archbishop is staying.
(d) If the King and the Archbishop have made peace.
2. What does the Messenger call the relationship between the King and the Archbishop?
(a) A silly affair.
(b) A peaceful affair.
(c) A patched-up affair.
(d) A violent affair.
3. What does the First Tempter tell Becket he remembers?
(a) His loyalty to the king.
(b) The good time past.
(c) The danger he is in.
(d) The hard times of the poor.
4. According to the information in the opening monologue, how many years have passed since the Archbishop has left the city?
5. What does the First Priest believe was Becket's character flaw that ultimately brought an end to his friendship with the King?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who states that "Power is present. Holiness hereafter?"
2. How does the structure of the dialogue change during Becket's first temptation?
3. Finish the thought of the First Tempter: "A man will often love what he ______."
4. What month does the Second Tempter say Beckett will have power?
5. What character(s) opens the play with the first monologue?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)