|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the information in the opening monologue, how many years have passed since the Archbishop has left the city?
2. Why is the fourth visitor the most successful Tempter?
(a) He represents the people.
(b) He voices Beckett's own desires.
(c) He helps Beckett find peace.
(d) He makes peace between Beckett and the King.
3. What does Becket call "the springtime fancy?"
(c) The impossible, the undesirable .
4. Finish the thought of the First Tempter: "A man will often love what he ______."
5. What important message does the Messenger convey to the Priests?
(a) The Archbishop has arrived at the city.
(b) The Archbishop has left France.
(c) The King has ordered the execution of Thomas Becket.
(d) The Pope has excommunicated the King
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part One, where does the action of the play take place?
2. What does the Chorus claim is their purpose in the action of the play?
3. Fill in the blank: "I leave you to the pleasure of your __________, Which will have to be paid for at ______________."
4. What does the First Priest compare the women of Canterbury to?
5. What does the First Tempter predict for Becket if he does not "leave well alone?"
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)