|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the Chorus, what does the Archbishop bring into Canterbury?
2. What, according to the First Tempter, "should be more than biting Time can sever?"
3. What does the First Tempter tell Becket he remembers?
(a) His loyalty to the king.
(b) The hard times of the poor.
(c) The danger he is in.
(d) The good time past.
4. What does Becket call "the springtime fancy?"
(d) The impossible, the undesirable .
5. What does the Messenger say were the last words of Thomas Becket to the King of England before the Archbishop's exile?
(a) My Lord, I leave you as a man, whom you shall not see again for seven years.
(b) My Lord, I leave you as a man, whom you shall see again as an angel.
(c) My Lord, I leave you as a man whom in this life I shall not see again.
(d) My Lord, I leave England, a land I shall not see again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Becket claim is the "substance of our first act?"
2. Fill in the blank: "I leave you to the pleasure of your __________, Which will have to be paid for at ______________."
3. Who does the Third Tempter represent?
4. In what city of England does the story take place?
5. Finish the thought of the First Tempter: "A man will often love what he ______."
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)