|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first idea that Becket relates to his audience and what does he insist that the Chorus "know and do not know?"
(a) Action is suffering and suffering is action.
(b) Suffering is everything and everything is suffering.
(c) Life is suffering and suffering is death.
(d) The world is suffering and they are the world.
2. What is not one of the things that the Tempter describes in his flashback of the "good time" Becket used to enjoy in his service to King Henry?
(a) Fires devouring the winter season.
(b) Spring melting the winter ice.
(c) Fluting in the meadows.
(d) Singing at nightfall.
3. Who states that "Power is present. Holiness hereafter?"
(a) The Fourth Tempter.
(b) The Second Tempter.
(c) Thomas Beckett.
(d) The Second Tempter.
4. How does Thomas Beckett's thought end?: "If the Archbishop cannot trust the Throne/ He has good cause to trust none but _____________"
(a) The Pope alone.
(b) God alone.
(c) His people alone.
(d) Himself alone.
5. What doesn't the Third Priest see in "the art of temporal government?"
(c) Frequent Malversation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first word that Becket speaks on his first entrance?
2. What is the first action that the Second Priest wants to take to welcome the Archbishop back to Canterbury?
3. In what year does Murder in the Cathedral take place?
4. In Part One, where does the action of the play take place?
5. What metaphor does the Third Priest use to compare the relationship between the King and the Archbishop?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)