|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Becket claim is the "substance of our first act?"
(a) God and his mercy.
(b) God and his greatness.
(c) Temptation, and the life with temptation.
(d) Shadows, and the strife with shadows.
2. What does the First Tempter tell Becket he remembers?
(a) The danger he is in.
(b) The good time past.
(c) The hard times of the poor.
(d) His loyalty to the king.
3. After the first scene featuring the three Priests, the Chorus speaks again. What do they wish the Archbishop to do?
(a) Turn the wheel.
(b) Make peace with the King.
(c) Bless them.
(d) Return to France.
4. Who states that "Power is present. Holiness hereafter?"
(a) The Second Tempter.
(b) Thomas Beckett.
(c) The Fourth Tempter.
(d) The Second Tempter.
5. How does Thomas Beckett's thought end?: "If the Archbishop cannot trust the Throne/ He has good cause to trust none but _____________"
(a) Himself alone.
(b) The Pope alone.
(c) God alone.
(d) His people alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first action that the Second Priest wants to take to welcome the Archbishop back to Canterbury?
2. What does Beckett claim the Fourth Tempter offers?
3. How does the Chorus describe itself?
4. What does Beckett believe to be the last temptation and what he fears the most?
5. According to the Four Tempters, what is man's life?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)