|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many visitors did Beckett expect?
2. How does the structure of the dialogue change during Becket's first temptation?
(a) The First Tempter speaks in verse.
(b) The play becomes one monologue.
(c) All of the characters speak in riddles.
(d) All of the characters other than Beckett fall silent.
3. What is it that the Second Tempter offers Becket?
(a) A new life.
(b) His former political position.
(c) A new love.
(d) The English throne.
4. In what year does Murder in the Cathedral take place?
5. What is the first word that Becket speaks on his first entrance?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Second Tempter tell Beckett he will be like if he continues on course?
2. What is not one of the ways the Chorus, the priests and the Tempters describe an unexpected death?
3. How does the chorus define its time in Canterbury since the Archbishop left seven years previous?
4. "The wheel" is spoken of time and time again. In one instance Becket says that "Only the fool, fixed in his folly, may think he can turn the wheel on which he turns." What is the idea of a wheel supposed to symbolize?
5. What does the Messenger call the relationship between the King and the Archbishop?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)