|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What character(s) opens the play with the first monologue?
(a) Thomas Becket.
(b) The Messenger.
(c) The Priests.
(d) The Chorus.
2. What does Beckett believe to be the last temptation and what he fears the most?
(a) Doing the right deed for the wrong reason.
(b) Doing the wrong thing for the right reason.
(d) Doing the thing you cannot do.
3. What does the Messenger say were the last words of Thomas Becket to the King of England before the Archbishop's exile?
(a) My Lord, I leave you as a man whom in this life I shall not see again.
(b) My Lord, I leave England, a land I shall not see again.
(c) My Lord, I leave you as a man, whom you shall see again as an angel.
(d) My Lord, I leave you as a man, whom you shall not see again for seven years.
4. Who does Becket say may have intercepted his letters and planned his demise?
(a) Rebellious bishops.
(b) King Henry II.
(c) Greedy merchants.
(d) The King of France.
5. Why is the fourth visitor the most successful Tempter?
(a) He helps Beckett find peace.
(b) He voices Beckett's own desires.
(c) He makes peace between Beckett and the King.
(d) He represents the people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first action that the Second Priest wants to take to welcome the Archbishop back to Canterbury?
2. According to the Third Tempter, what does friendship depend upon?
3. When will the First Tempter remember Becket?
4. What does Beckett claim the Fourth Tempter offers?
5. How does the structure of the dialogue change during Becket's first temptation?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)