|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What position did Becket resign when he was made Archbishop?
2. In what city of England does the story take place?
3. How does the structure of the dialogue change during Becket's first temptation?
(a) All of the characters other than Beckett fall silent.
(b) The First Tempter speaks in verse.
(c) All of the characters speak in riddles.
(d) The play becomes one monologue.
4. What ruler of England does the Second Priest refer to as "the stubborn King?"
(a) James I.
(b) Henry II.
(c) Richard I.
(d) Edward III.
5. Who does Becket say may have intercepted his letters and planned his demise?
(a) Rebellious bishops.
(b) The King of France.
(c) King Henry II.
(d) Greedy merchants.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first word that Becket speaks on his first entrance?
2. What month does the Second Tempter say Beckett will have power?
3. Who does the Third Tempter represent?
4. What metaphor does the Third Priest use to compare the relationship between the King and the Archbishop?
5. Why does Beckett believe that the local bishops would not support a power move like regaining his Chancellorship?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)