|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the information in the opening monologue, how many years have passed since the Archbishop has left the city?
2. Why is the fourth visitor the most successful Tempter?
(a) He voices Beckett's own desires.
(b) He represents the people.
(c) He helps Beckett find peace.
(d) He makes peace between Beckett and the King.
3. What ruler of England does the Second Priest refer to as "the stubborn King?"
(a) Richard I.
(b) Henry II.
(c) James I.
(d) Edward III.
4. What character(s) opens the play with the first monologue?
(a) Thomas Becket.
(b) The Messenger.
(c) The Priests.
(d) The Chorus.
5. According to the Third Tempter, what does friendship depend upon?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beckett believe to be the last temptation and what he fears the most?
2. After the first scene featuring the three Priests, the Chorus speaks again. What do they wish the Archbishop to do?
3. What doesn't the Third Priest see in "the art of temporal government?"
4. In what year does Murder in the Cathedral take place?
5. What important message does the Messenger convey to the Priests?
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)