|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Becket claim is the "substance of our first act?"
(a) Shadows, and the strife with shadows.
(b) God and his mercy.
(c) God and his greatness.
(d) Temptation, and the life with temptation.
2. What does the Third Tempter believe upon his arrival?
(a) He was expected.
(b) He is there to cause confusion.
(c) He is in danger.
(d) He was unexpected.
3. What is the first word that Becket speaks on his first entrance?
4. How does Thomas Beckett's thought end?: "If the Archbishop cannot trust the Throne/ He has good cause to trust none but _____________"
(a) God alone.
(b) His people alone.
(c) The Pope alone.
(d) Himself alone.
5. How does the Third Tempter describe himself?
(a) A rough, straightforward Englishman.
(b) A rough and angry follower of the king
(c) A surly English peasant
(d) A man who is rich in spirit
Short Answer Questions
1. What idea does the Fourth Tempter repeat that Beckett voiced on his first entrance?
2. How does the Fourth Tempter claim Beckett can have ultimate glory and power over the King of England?
3. What, according to the First Tempter, "should be more than biting Time can sever?"
4. According to the Four Tempters, what is man's life?
5. What is not one of the events of the past seven years that the Chorus describes?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)