|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Beckett believe to be the last temptation and what he fears the most?
(b) Doing the wrong thing for the right reason.
(c) Doing the right deed for the wrong reason.
(d) Doing the thing you cannot do.
2. What does Beckett claim the Fourth Tempter offers?
(a) Dreams to Damnation.
(b) Promises of Nothing.
(c) Hopes that Die.
(d) An End to Suffering.
3. After the first scene featuring the three Priests, the Chorus speaks again. What do they wish the Archbishop to do?
(a) Bless them.
(b) Turn the wheel.
(c) Make peace with the King.
(d) Return to France.
4. What is not one of the events of the past seven years that the Chorus describes?
(a) Brewing beer.
(b) A good harvest.
(c) The disappearance of several girls.
(d) The town burning down.
5. What does the First Tempter predict for Becket if he does not "leave well alone?"
(a) God will show his wrath.
(b) His fat lady will sing.
(c) HIs goose may be cooked.
(d) Everything will be set right.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Thomas Beckett's thought end?: "If the Archbishop cannot trust the Throne/ He has good cause to trust none but _____________"
2. What is the feeling of the general public in regard to the Archbishop's return?
3. What is it that the Second Tempter offers Becket?
4. Fill in the blank: "I leave you to the pleasure of your __________, Which will have to be paid for at ______________."
5. According to the Chorus, what does the Archbishop bring into Canterbury?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)