|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Beckett believe that the local bishops would not support a power move like regaining his Chancellorship?
(a) Because the King would not allow it.
(b) Because the Pope excommunicated Beckett.
(c) Because the Pope would not allow it.
(d) Because he excommunicated them.
2. What does the Chorus claim is their purpose in the action of the play?
(a) To prevent a murder.
(b) To serve the Priests of the Cathedral.
(c) To warn Thomas Becket.
(d) To witness the events and take no action.
3. What metaphor does the Third Priest use to compare the relationship between the King and the Archbishop?
(a) A wolf and a sheep.
(b) A hammer and an anvil.
(c) A rock and a hard place.
(d) Fire and water.
4. What position did Becket resign when he was made Archbishop?
5. How does the Second Tempter claim real power is purchased?
(a) At price of a certain submission.
(b) At price of his devotion to God.
(c) At price of an uncertain quantity.
(d) At price of his immortal soul.
Short Answer Questions
1. What idea does the Fourth Tempter repeat that Beckett voiced on his first entrance?
2. What does Becket claim is the "substance of our first act?"
3. What does Beckett claim the Fourth Tempter offers?
4. What, according to the First Tempter, "should be more than biting Time can sever?"
5. What character(s) opens the play with the first monologue?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)