|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Beckett believe that the local bishops would not support a power move like regaining his Chancellorship?
(a) Because the King would not allow it.
(b) Because the Pope would not allow it.
(c) Because he excommunicated them.
(d) Because the Pope excommunicated Beckett.
2. How many visitors did Beckett expect?
3. What is not one of the events of the past seven years that the Chorus describes?
(a) A good harvest.
(b) The disappearance of several girls.
(c) Brewing beer.
(d) The town burning down.
4. What important message does the Messenger convey to the Priests?
(a) The King has ordered the execution of Thomas Becket.
(b) The Archbishop has left France.
(c) The Archbishop has arrived at the city.
(d) The Pope has excommunicated the King
5. According to the information in the opening monologue, how many years have passed since the Archbishop has left the city?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Fourth Tempter claim Beckett can have ultimate glory and power over the King of England?
2. "The wheel" is spoken of time and time again. In one instance Becket says that "Only the fool, fixed in his folly, may think he can turn the wheel on which he turns." What is the idea of a wheel supposed to symbolize?
3. What does the First Tempter predict for Becket if he does not "leave well alone?"
4. What does the First Priest compare the women of Canterbury to?
5. What group of people does the Chorus consist of?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)