|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the first two characters who speak of "the wheel" on separate occasions?
(a) The Third Priest and Thomas Becket.
(b) The First Priest and the First Tempter.
(c) The Chorus and Thomas Becket.
(d) The First Priest and the Second Priest.
2. How does the Chorus describe itself?
(a) Lonely folk.
(b) Small folk.
(c) Representative of all people of Canterbury.
(d) Poor folk.
3. What does Becket claim is the "substance of our first act?"
(a) Shadows, and the strife with shadows.
(b) Temptation, and the life with temptation.
(c) God and his greatness.
(d) God and his mercy.
4. How does the Fourth Tempter claim Beckett can have ultimate glory and power over the King of England?
(a) By becoming the Chancellor again.
(b) By killing the King.
(c) By becoming a martyr.
(d) By giving his money to the people.
5. What is one thing the Third Tempter and his party want from Beckett?
(a) The blessing of God.
(b) Favor from the Church.
(d) Happiness for the People of England.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Third Tempter, what does friendship depend upon?
2. What is the feeling of the general public in regard to the Archbishop's return?
3. In what year does Murder in the Cathedral take place?
4. What is the first action that the Second Priest wants to take to welcome the Archbishop back to Canterbury?
5. What is it that the Second Tempter offers Becket?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)