|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is not one of the ways the Chorus, the priests and the Tempters describe an unexpected death?
(a) Taking a shock to the skull.
(b) Attacked by dogs.
(c) Drowning in a ditch.
(d) Slipping on a step.
2. What doesn't the Third Priest see in "the art of temporal government?"
(c) Frequent Malversation.
3. Who does Becket say saved him from the wrath of his enemies?
(a) John, the Dean of Salisbury.
(b) King Henry II.
(c) The Pope.
(d) The King of France.
4. What does Becket claim is the "substance of our first act?"
(a) Temptation, and the life with temptation.
(b) Shadows, and the strife with shadows.
(c) God and his greatness.
(d) God and his mercy.
5. What is it that the Second Tempter offers Becket?
(a) His former political position.
(b) A new life.
(c) A new love.
(d) The English throne.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who states that "Power is present. Holiness hereafter?"
2. What does the Messenger call the relationship between the King and the Archbishop?
3. What does the Chorus claim is their purpose in the action of the play?
4. What is the feeling of the general public in regard to the Archbishop's return?
5. How does the Chorus describe itself?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)