|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Beckett tell the people that he may never preach to them again?
(a) He believes he will be murdered soon.
(b) He doesn't want to give them false hope.
(c) He is out of ideas.
(d) He is too sad to speak any more.
2. Which specific Canterbury martyr does Beckett ask the congregation to remember?
(a) John the Baptist.
(b) St. John the Apostle.
(c) Archbishop Beckett.
(d) Archbishop Elphage.
3. According to the Four Tempters, what is man's life?
(a) A fleeting moment.
(b) A viscious cycle.
(c) A cheat and a disappointment.
(d) An inconvenience to God.
4. What does Becket claim is the "substance of our first act?"
(a) Shadows, and the strife with shadows.
(b) God and his mercy.
(c) Temptation, and the life with temptation.
(d) God and his greatness.
5. What does the First Priest believe was Becket's character flaw that ultimately brought an end to his friendship with the King?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first idea that Becket relates to his audience and what does he insist that the Chorus "know and do not know?"
2. How does the First Knight respond when the First Priest offers them dinner?
3. Where were the Knights before they came to Canterbury?
4. What is one of the major sentiments of the Chorus' "death-bringer" speech?
5. What is not one of the topics of Beckett's sermon in the Interlude?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)