|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Becket call "the springtime fancy?"
(c) The impossible, the undesirable .
2. Defined by Beckett, who was the first martyr whose sacrifice is celebrated the day after Christmas?
(a) John the Baptist.
3. What does the Chorus continue to reference in the speech that begins, "I have smelt them, the death-bringers..."
(a) The five senses.
(b) The four seasons.
(c) The seven days of the week.
(d) The years ahead.
4. What does Becket claim is the "substance of our first act?"
(a) God and his greatness.
(b) God and his mercy.
(c) Shadows, and the strife with shadows.
(d) Temptation, and the life with temptation.
5. Why does Beckett believe we should celebrate martyrs?
(a) They die for the salvation of men.
(c) They do it for the glory of God.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is Holy Innocents Day?
2. What is the major question the Fourth Knight asks of the audience?
3. What does the Chorus claim is their purpose in the action of the play?
4. What does the First Priest believe was Becket's character flaw that ultimately brought an end to his friendship with the King?
5. What does the Messenger say were the last words of Thomas Becket to the King of England before the Archbishop's exile?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)