|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the man in Larkins White's story doing?
2. What is a swamper?
3. Who is Big Sweet?
4. How does Hurston convince Luke Turner to speak with her?
5. Chapter 9 begins in _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Luke Turner, and how does he treat Hurston upon meeting her? How does Hurston get Luke Turner to help her?
2. How does Luke Turner learn about his Hoodoo power?
3. What is ironic about the story where a slave is afraid to shoot his master's gun uphill?
4. Why is the dolphin's tale crosswise?
5. Describe Hurston's initiation under Turner.
6. What happens at the juke joint in Chapter 9? How is Big Sweet involved?
7. Where does the slave get the name Big Sixteen from? What does he appear as today?
8. Describe the spell Luke Turner casts to drive a man out of town? What did his customer want him to do originally, and why did she change her mind?
9. In Chapter 7, does there appear to be an order to the stories Hurston tells? If so, what is the order? If not, why is there no order?
10. Explain what it means if it rains at a funeral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Hurston's experience at the Everglades Cypress Lumber Company. Describe two important people she meets here and why they are important to her book.
Essay Topic 2
Hurston meets many interesting people in the book. These people influence her life in many ways. Choose one person or couple she meets that influences her life and explain the positive and negative aspects of that influence.
Essay Topic 3
What is Hoodoo, and what is its importance to Southern culture? Is Hoodoo superstition or religion? Explain.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)