|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what threat does the Quarter Boss make?
2. What did God do in the first six days according to Hurston?
3. What does Hurston want to make sure she studies in Chapter 1 of Hoodoo?
4. How many initiations has Hurston gone through by the time she meets Luke Turner?
5. "Flutter bys" later become known as ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hurston describe the creation of the world in Chapter 1?
2. Who is Dr. Samuel Jenkins? What is his clientele like? Why do you think he chooses to work with these people?
3. Who is Anatol Pierre? Describe some of Hurston's experiences with this man.
4. Describe Hurston's final story in Chapter 7 about the rat and the cat.
5. Who is Mark C. Ford ?
6. Where does the slave get the name Big Sixteen from? What does he appear as today?
7. Who saves Hurston from the fight at the wedding and how?
8. Who is Luke Turner, and how does he treat Hurston upon meeting her? How does Hurston get Luke Turner to help her?
9. Explain what it means if it rains at a funeral?
10. Describe the law over alcohol Hurston describes in Chapter 9. How is alcohol made?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Hurston's purpose in writing this book? Did she achieve this purpose? What does the reader learn from this book?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one story Hurston hears while on her travels and discuss its influence on the community. What message is the story trying to convey? Why does Hurston choose to illustrate this story in her book?
Essay Topic 3
What is Hoodoo, and what is its importance to Southern culture? Is Hoodoo superstition or religion? Explain.
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)