|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with the snail in the story about the snail couple?
2. How does Hurston convince Luke Turner to speak with her?
3. Who in Marie Leveau's family were Hoodoo doctors?
4. In Chapter 9, what threat does the Quarter Boss make?
5. A man tells a story about firing a gun out the doorway. What time of day was it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Dr. Samuel Jenkins? What is his clientele like? Why do you think he chooses to work with these people?
2. What does Hurston discover is the common link between those practicing Hoodoo? Why is this link important?
3. Explain how "butterflies" came to be according to Floyd Thomas.
4. Describe Hurston's final story in Chapter 7 about the rat and the cat.
5. Describe the law over alcohol Hurston describes in Chapter 9. How is alcohol made?
6. What happens at the juke joint in Chapter 9? How is Big Sweet involved?
7. What is the purpose of "big women" and "lil' women"?
8. Who saves Hurston from the fight at the wedding and how?
9. Who is Anatol Pierre? Describe some of Hurston's experiences with this man.
10. Why is the dolphin's tale crosswise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the stories in Hurston's book address the theme of creation? Choose two examples of examples and explain how these examples contribute to the theme of creation.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Hurston's relationship with one of the Hoodoo practitioners. What does she learn from him or her? What spells or initiations does she perform with that person?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Marie Leveau's impact on Hoodoo. Why do practitioners of Hoodoo claim her as an inspiration?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)