|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dr. Duke's specialty?
2. How long does Luke Turner have to live?
3. When was Marie Leveau born?
4. Mark C. Ford compares the dolphin to _________________.
5. What falls off the branch and dies instantly in Larkins White's story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the slave get the name Big Sixteen from? What does he appear as today?
2. Why is the dolphin's tale crosswise?
3. What is the significance of Eve of St. John's in Chapter 2?
4. Who is Mark C. Ford ?
5. What happens to the snail that is ill in Chapter 8?
6. Describe Hurston's final story in Chapter 7 about the rat and the cat.
7. Explain how "butterflies" came to be according to Floyd Thomas.
8. Describe the law over alcohol Hurston describes in Chapter 9. How is alcohol made?
9. How does Luke Turner learn about his Hoodoo power?
10. How does Hurston describe the creation of the world in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Hurston's personality. How does Hurston change from the beginning to the end of the book? Why? Do you believe Hurston intended to grow when she wrote this book?
Essay Topic 2
Define the term voice. Who is the voice of this story? Why did Hurston elect to use this method?
Essay Topic 3
How does Hurston use dialect and slang in her book to describe the people she meets? How does it alter the reader's experience? Is dialect an effective tool for the writer?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)