|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game is going on at the joint in Chapter 9?
2. What is Eulalia's specialty?
3. When was Marie Leveau born?
4. In Chapter 4, what must Hurston catch to complete her first spell?
5. In Chapter 1 of Hoodoo, what does Hurston realize?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Anatol Pierre? Describe some of Hurston's experiences with this man.
2. What happens at the juke joint in Chapter 9? How is Big Sweet involved?
3. Why do people say "unh-hunh" ?
4. What is the purpose of "big women" and "lil' women"?
5. Who saves Hurston from the fight at the wedding and how?
6. What is ironic about the story where a slave is afraid to shoot his master's gun uphill?
7. Describe Hurston's final story in Chapter 7 about the rat and the cat.
8. Describe the law over alcohol Hurston describes in Chapter 9. How is alcohol made?
9. What is the significance of Eve of St. John's in Chapter 2?
10. Where does the slave get the name Big Sixteen from? What does he appear as today?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Hoodoo, and what is its importance to Southern culture? Is Hoodoo superstition or religion? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Hurston's personality. How does Hurston change from the beginning to the end of the book? Why? Do you believe Hurston intended to grow when she wrote this book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Marie Leveau's impact on Hoodoo. Why do practitioners of Hoodoo claim her as an inspiration?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)