|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does the brother outsmart in John French's story?
2. Who arrives in town at the end of Chapter 6?
3. What part of the animal did John grab a hold of in Chapter 4?
4. What is the only part of the body women reveal at a "toe party"?
5. What happens when Hurston arrives at Pine Mill?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might the name John be used in tales about slaves?
2. Describe one of the stories Hurston hears in Chapter 4 about mean bosses.
3. How does John trick his master in Chapter 4?
4. What example does Hurston use to describe justice in Chapter 4, and what is Hurston's opinion about justice?
5. Describe the differences between the two slaves' actions in Joe Wiley's story.
6. Describe one of the stories Hurston hears in Chapter 4 that describes ugliness.
7. What is Shug's reaction to Julius Henry's story, and why might she react this way?
8. Describe the story John French tells in Chapter 3.
9. How does Hurston win acceptance at the Pine Mill?
10. Who is Babe Hill, and what role does she play in Hurston's book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the depression affect the lives of the people Hurston meets? How does it affect their interaction with Hurston?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Marie Leveau's impact on Hoodoo. Why do practitioners of Hoodoo claim her as an inspiration?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Hurston's personality. How does Hurston change from the beginning to the end of the book? Why? Do you believe Hurston intended to grow when she wrote this book?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)