|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What county does Hurston travel toward in Chapter 4?
2. What occasionally happens at a "toe party" when a man is disappointed with his partner?
3. How does Hurston become accepted by people in Chapter 4?
4. In Chapter 4, who is John?
5. When does a "toe party" really start to get wild?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gold explain the difference of skin tone in people?
2. Describe the differences between the two slaves' actions in Joe Wiley's story.
3. Why do you think there are debates over which folktales are true or which version is the "correct" one?
4. Describe one of the stories Hurston hears in Chapter 4 that describes ugliness.
5. What happens in Chapter 8 on the way to the "jook joint"?
6. What is the significance of the stories Hurston hears about the slave outsmarting the master or black men outsmarting white men?
7. Why is it significant that a woman listens to the devil's advice in Mathilda Mosley's story?
8. Explain what a "toe dance" is and Hurston's experience at the "toe dance."
9. Describe Mathilda Mosley's story.
10. How does Hurston win acceptance at the Pine Mill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Hurston's personality. How does Hurston change from the beginning to the end of the book? Why? Do you believe Hurston intended to grow when she wrote this book?
Essay Topic 2
How does Hurston use dialect and slang in her book to describe the people she meets? How does it alter the reader's experience? Is dialect an effective tool for the writer?
Essay Topic 3
Hurston meets many interesting people in the book. These people influence her life in many ways. Choose one person or couple she meets that influences her life and explain the positive and negative aspects of that influence.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)