|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what does Hurston initially think of the people in the city where she stops?
2. Another man in Chapter 4 tells a story about a man dipped in a river. What river was the man dipped in?
3. Why was the first slave not punished for cussing out the master in Chapter 5?
4. Why does Hurston want to go to a new location at the end of Chapter 3?
5. What do the townspeople think about the author's choice of towns?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Hurston arrive at the start of the book, and what is her purpose for traveling there?
2. Describe the differences between the two slaves' actions in Joe Wiley's story.
3. What example does Hurston use to describe justice in Chapter 4, and what is Hurston's opinion about justice?
4. Why might the name John be used in tales about slaves?
5. Why does Charlie Jones claim that congregations split into different churches?
6. Describe Mathilda Mosley's story.
7. Describe the interaction between Hurston and Mr. Pitts.
8. Describe Julius Henry's story.
9. Why do people treat Hurston differently at the Pine Mill? How do they act around her?
10. Why do you think there are debates over which folktales are true or which version is the "correct" one?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hurston's book contains several folktales and traditions from the black community. Why are folktales important to keeping tradition alive? Cite one story Hurston hears and explain how the story keeps history alive and vibrant.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the interaction between the community during storytelling. What role does storytelling play in the community? What does Hurston learn during these gatherings?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one story Hurston hears while on her travels and discuss its influence on the community. What message is the story trying to convey? Why does Hurston choose to illustrate this story in her book?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)