|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, who is John?
2. What does Hurston claim the Sheriff will do to the woman who killed five men?
3. Who is the first person to introduce himself to Hurston?
4. In Chapter 4, the men tell stories about bosses. What are the bosses like?
5. How do young men get to dance at a "toe party"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Everglades Cypress Lumber Company.
2. Explain the story of the two brothers who started churches in Chapter 2. What is message of this story?
3. Why is it significant that a woman listens to the devil's advice in Mathilda Mosley's story?
4. What is the story Hurston hears about the Johnstown flood?
5. Who is Babe Hill, and what role does she play in Hurston's book?
6. Why does Charlie Jones claim that congregations split into different churches?
7. How does Hurston win acceptance at the Pine Mill?
8. How does Hurston manage to fit into the Everglades Cypress Lumber Company community?
9. Why do people treat Hurston differently at the Pine Mill? How do they act around her?
10. Why might the name John be used in tales about slaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Hurston and Mr. Pitts. What role does each person fill in the other person's life? Explain two ways that Mr. PItts helps Hurston or vice versa.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Marie Leveau's impact on Hoodoo. Why do practitioners of Hoodoo claim her as an inspiration?
Essay Topic 3
Define the term hyperbole. Provide three examples where hyperbole is used in the language Hurston uses or overhears.
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)