|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mark C. Ford, why did the devil go to heaven?
(a) To meet with God.
(b) To visit his mother.
(c) To say hello.
(d) To capture angels.
2. Mark C. Ford compares the dolphin to _________________.
(a) A steak.
(b) The devil.
(c) A pitchfork.
(d) The sun.
3. What does the man in Larkins White's story smother?
(a) His steak with gravy.
(b) His mother.
(c) His children with kisses.
4. Who in Marie Leveau's family were Hoodoo doctors?
(a) Her mother and father.
(b) Her aunt and uncle.
(c) Her grandmother and mother.
(d) Her great-grandfather and mother.
5. During her initiation with Luke Turner, Hurston wears a crown made of _____________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is hoodoo founded on?
2. What are "flutter bys"?
3. In Chapter 9, Hurston warns that it is harmful to _____________.
4. How many initiations has Hurston gone through by the time she meets Luke Turner?
5. Who is Eulalia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Eve of St. John's in Chapter 2?
2. In Chapter 7, does there appear to be an order to the stories Hurston tells? If so, what is the order? If not, why is there no order?
3. Compare and contrast Everglades Cypress Lumber Company to the housing in Pierce.
4. Describe Hurston's initiation under Turner.
5. Describe the law over alcohol Hurston describes in Chapter 9. How is alcohol made?
6. What does Hurston believe Hoodoo is about? Who is Hurston's first teacher?
7. Who is Luke Turner, and how does he treat Hurston upon meeting her? How does Hurston get Luke Turner to help her?
8. How does the man kill four different animals with one bullet in Chapter 7?
9. Describe the life of Marie Leveau.
10. What does Hurston discover is the common link between those practicing Hoodoo? Why is this link important?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)