|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mark C. Ford ask Hurston about a dolphin's tail?
(a) If she knows it's crosswise.
(b) If she has skinned one.
(c) If she has eaten one.
(d) If she has touched one.
2. What did God do in the first six days according to Hurston?
(a) Created man.
(b) Played cards.
(c) Read great books.
(d) Created the world.
3. Who is Luke Turner?
(a) The son of Marie Leveau.
(b) Hurston's husband.
(c) The local sheriff.
(d) The nephew of Marie Leveau.
4. What is against the law in Chapter 9?
5. How many days does Marie Leveau disappear before and after St. John's eve?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, someone is teased for not wanting to shoot ________________.
2. What is Dr. Samuel Jenkins' clientele like?
3. In Chapter 4, Hurston does her first consultation for _____________.
4. What does Hurston say she learns about in Chapter 10?
5. Chapter 9 begins in _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast Everglades Cypress Lumber Company to the housing in Pierce.
2. Describe Hurston's final story in Chapter 7 about the rat and the cat.
3. Who is Mark C. Ford ?
4. In Chapter 7, does there appear to be an order to the stories Hurston tells? If so, what is the order? If not, why is there no order?
5. How does Hurston describe the creation of the world in Chapter 1?
6. What is the significance of Eve of St. John's in Chapter 2?
7. Who is Dr. Samuel Jenkins? What is his clientele like? Why do you think he chooses to work with these people?
8. Why do people say "unh-hunh" ?
9. Explain what it means if it rains at a funeral?
10. What is ironic about the story where a slave is afraid to shoot his master's gun uphill?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)