|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what does Hurston claim that she does not want to do to the reader?
(a) Make them laugh.
(b) Mislead them.
(c) Make them cry.
(d) Scare them.
2. What do people hide behind at a "toe party"?
(a) A door.
(b) A curtain.
(c) A donkey.
(d) A foot.
3. What does the younger brother at the end of the story in Chapter 2 do for a living?
(a) Plows fields.
(b) Rides in the rodeo.
4. When does Hurston travel to Pine Mill?
(a) March 6th.
(b) On payday.
(c) Every third Sunday.
(d) When the mood strikes her.
5. In what state does the author spend most of her time collecting stories?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Hurston plan to stay with in town?
2. Who arrives in town at the end of Chapter 6?
3. What do the people in town want to know about the author when she arrives in town?
4. In Chapter 2, what topic do most of the stories cover?
5. How man people arrive at "Mets" house to tell stories the first night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hurston win acceptance at the Pine Mill?
2. What happens in Chapter 8 on the way to the "jook joint"?
3. Who is Babe Hill, and what role does she play in Hurston's book?
4. Explain the story of the two brothers who started churches in Chapter 2. What is message of this story?
5. How does John trick his master in Chapter 4?
6. Describe the story in Chapter 2 which tells how a man decides to become a preacher.
7. Describe the interaction between Hurston and Mr. Pitts.
8. What example does Hurston use to describe justice in Chapter 4, and what is Hurston's opinion about justice?
9. Describe the differences between the two slaves' actions in Joe Wiley's story.
10. Describe Mathilda Mosley's story.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)