|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does the deceased person speak to after dying in the Johnstown flood?
(a) St. Peter.
2. Who is the person that is traveling in this book?
(d) Mule boy.
3. Which two people does Hurston say supply enough stories for one book?
(a) Suzy and Leo.
(b) George and Jan.
(c) Sweet Pea and Linus.
(d) Charlie and George.
4. How does Hurston become accepted by people in Chapter 4?
(a) Gives them a ride in her car.
(b) Tells them she is a bootlegger.
(c) Preaches to them.
(d) Sells them some gin.
5. Why does Hurston go to Pine Mill?
(a) To work.
(b) To meet her mother.
(c) To hear a story.
(d) For a dance.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the first slave not punished for cussing out the master in Chapter 5?
2. How long does Hurston plan on staying in town?
3. What stories do the men tell on the way to work in Chapter 4?
4. In Mathilda Mosley's story, woman asks God for ____________.
5. Who is the rude person that the person who died in Johnstown flood encounters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Julius Henry's story.
2. Why is it significant that a woman listens to the devil's advice in Mathilda Mosley's story?
3. Describe one of the stories Hurston hears in Chapter 4 about mean bosses.
4. How does Hurston win acceptance at the Pine Mill?
5. Describe the story Jim Presley tells Hurston. How are black men better then white men in this story?
6. What purpose do folktales serve in a community or culture? Provide a brief example of a story Hurston hears that explains that purpose.
7. How does Hurston manage to fit into the Everglades Cypress Lumber Company community?
8. Why is Hurston interested in learning about folktales?
9. Describe Mathilda Mosley's story.
10. Describe the Everglades Cypress Lumber Company.
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)