|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What story does Mathilda Mosley tell in Chapter 2?
(a) How women take advantage of men.
(b) How men take advantage of women.
(c) How lawyers speak to satan.
(d) How zebras got their stripes.
2. What do the men hear in Chapter 6 on their way to the "jook joint"?
(c) An accident.
3. In what state does the author spend most of her time collecting stories?
4. A man in Chapter 4 claims he knew a man like the one who was dunked in the river. He claims he did not die. What happened to him?
(a) He mussed on the spricket.
(b) He was uglied away.
(c) He had the pretty stained on.
(d) He ate the holy lemon.
5. How do the men react to their partners at a "toe party"?
(a) Everyone is happy.
(b) Some are disappointed.
(c) No one is happy.
(d) Men never see their partners, only their knees.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the second slave beaten for cussing at the master in Joe Wiley's story?
2. Why does Hurston go to Pine Mill?
3. Who is the person that is traveling in this book?
4. John discovers _____________ stealing from the field.
5. Who is the first person to introduce himself to Hurston?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Shug's reaction to Julius Henry's story, and why might she react this way?
2. Describe the story Jim Presley tells Hurston. How are black men better then white men in this story?
3. How does Hurston win acceptance at the Pine Mill?
4. Why does Hurston go into the swamp with the men in Chapter 4? Where does she go instead and why?
5. Describe Julius Henry's story.
6. What purpose do folktales serve in a community or culture? Provide a brief example of a story Hurston hears that explains that purpose.
7. Why does Charlie Jones claim that congregations split into different churches?
8. Explain what a "toe dance" is and Hurston's experience at the "toe dance."
9. Why might the name John be used in tales about slaves?
10. Where does Hurston arrive at the start of the book, and what is her purpose for traveling there?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)