|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did God do in the first six days according to Hurston?
(a) Read great books.
(b) Created man.
(c) Played cards.
(d) Created the world.
2. In Chapter 9, what threat does the Quarter Boss make?
(a) He will leave leave town.
(b) He will throw troublemakers in jail.
(c) He will thrash anyone who talks back to him.
(d) He will fine everyone in the town.
3. What is Dr. Samuel Jenkins' clientele like?
(a) Black and upper-class.
(b) Asian and poor.
(c) White and upper-class.
(d) White and poor.
4. In Chapter 9, Hurston warns that it is harmful to _____________.
(a) Eat red meat.
(b) Go to war.
(c) Cross the street at Baker Road.
5. What is the man waiting for at the end of Larkins White's story?
(a) The traces to melt.
(b) The horse to wake up.
(c) The traces to dry.
(d) His friend to pick him up.
6. Who is Minnie Foster?
(a) A client of Dr. Duke.
(b) A French maid.
(c) A client of Kitty Brown.
(d) A teacher.
7. Who does the snail husband go to find in the story of the two snails?
(a) The ant.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) Her mother.
8. How does Hurston get Luke Tuner to speak about Marie Leveau?
(a) She "dances the jig" with him.
(b) She "dickers" with him.
(c) She "sweet as sugar" to him.
(d) She "picks his noggin."
9. What does it mean if it rains at a funeral?
(a) God is happy.
(b) A storm is coming.
(c) The angels are sad.
(d) God is displeased.
10. Where is Hurston in Chapter 7?
(a) Shopping in a store.
(b) Telling stories in a circle.
(c) Eating in a cafe.
(d) Reading a book.
11. Why did the bullet remain in the story about firing a gun out the doorway?
(a) It was never fired.
(b) It was waiting for daylight to find its direction.
(c) It liked the owner.
(d) It liked the gun.
12. Who is Big Sweet?
(a) A woman who tries to fight with Hurston.
(b) A cook.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A woman who promises to watch out for Hurston.
13. What does Quarter Boss do in Chapter 9?
(a) Breaks up a fight.
(b) Makes drinks.
(c) Eats 25 steaks.
(d) Dances with Hurston.
14. Why does Marie Leveau plan a feast on St. John's Eve?
(a) It is her birthday.
(b) Partially because she is Catholic and partially because of Hoodoo.
(c) Her mother told her to do it.
(d) Everyone has a feast that night.
15. Floyd Thomas says God has the right to ______________.
(a) Eat good food.
(b) Be joyful.
(c) Change his mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mark C. Ford ask Hurston about a dolphin's tail?
2. What, according to Hurston, is the common link between those that practice Hoodoo?
3. What does Dr. Samuel Jenkins rely on for his work?
4. Why did the slave refuse to shoot his master's gun in Chapter 7?
5. What is Dr. Duke's specialty?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)