|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the man waiting for at the end of Larkins White's story?
(a) The horse to wake up.
(b) His friend to pick him up.
(c) The traces to melt.
(d) The traces to dry.
2. What does Hurston learn in the letter from Big Sweet?
(a) Someone died.
(b) Big Sweet is pregnant.
(c) Her mother died.
(d) She is invited to a wedding.
3. What did God create at around half-past five on the sixth day?
4. What does Hurston want from Luke Turner?
(b) A child.
(c) A place to live.
(d) For him to teach her.
5. How much does Dr. Duke charge?
(a) 100 dollars.
(b) 50 dollars.
(c) 185 dollars.
(d) 76 dollars.
6. In Chapter 1 of Hoodoo, what does Hurston realize?
(a) Winter is coming.
(b) There is a limit to her resources.
(c) She is getting old.
(d) She is broke.
7. The man in Larkins White's story sees _______________.
(a) Turkey, ducks and frogs.
(b) Turkey, deer, ducks and partridges.
(c) Lions, tigers and bears.
(d) Dogs, cats, and a bear.
8. What does Marie Leveau tell Luke Turner to build to wait for power?
(a) An altar.
(b) A temple.
(c) A bench.
(d) A boat.
9. What tile does Hurston receive after her initiation with Reverend Father Joe Watson?
(a) Boss of the candles.
(b) Boss of the wind.
(c) Boss of the serpents.
(d) Boss of the grapes.
10. What does Quarter Boss do in Chapter 9?
(a) Makes drinks.
(b) Eats 25 steaks.
(c) Breaks up a fight.
(d) Dances with Hurston.
11. What happens to someone if found in possession of a drink at the joint?
(a) They might go to jail.
(b) They have to make a public apology.
(c) They are beaten.
(d) They have to leave.
12. In Chapter 9, Hurston warns that it is harmful to _____________.
(a) Cross the street at Baker Road.
(b) Eat red meat.
(c) Go to war.
13. How long does it take before the snail wife sees her husband again?
(a) Eight months.
(b) Seven years.
(c) Seven months.
(d) Ten days.
14. What, according to Hurston, is the common link between those that practice Hoodoo?
(a) Marie Antoinette.
(b) The book of Hoodoo.
(c) Chicken scraps.
(d) Marie Leveau.
15. What do people make drinks out of at the joint?
(a) Sterno and sugar.
(b) Beer and sugar.
(c) Vodka and schnapps.
(d) Water and sugar.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Reverend Father Joe Watson's wife plan to leave him?
2. What happened when the police tried to arrest Marie Leveau?
3. Who is Big Sweet?
4. When was Marie Leveau born?
5. In Chapter 9, what threat does the Quarter Boss make?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)