|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hurston learn in the letter from Big Sweet?
(a) She is invited to a wedding.
(b) Her mother died.
(c) Someone died.
(d) Big Sweet is pregnant.
2. What happens to Hurston in Chapter 9?
(a) She gets into a fight.
(b) She buys a car.
(c) She wins the lotto.
(d) She meets her husband.
3. What happens to someone if found in possession of a drink at the joint?
(a) They have to leave.
(b) They are beaten.
(c) They might go to jail.
(d) They have to make a public apology.
4. Why did the bullet remain in the story about firing a gun out the doorway?
(a) It liked the gun.
(b) It was waiting for daylight to find its direction.
(c) It was never fired.
(d) It liked the owner.
5. What does Hurston want from Luke Turner?
(b) A child.
(c) For him to teach her.
(d) A place to live.
6. What is the man in Larkins White's story doing?
(a) Eating lunch.
(b) Going for a jog.
(c) Walking to town.
7. A man tells a story about firing a gun out the doorway. What time of day was it?
8. How does Hurston get Luke Tuner to speak about Marie Leveau?
(a) She "dances the jig" with him.
(b) She "dickers" with him.
(c) She "sweet as sugar" to him.
(d) She "picks his noggin."
9. In Chapter 9, what threat does the Quarter Boss make?
(a) He will leave leave town.
(b) He will throw troublemakers in jail.
(c) He will fine everyone in the town.
(d) He will thrash anyone who talks back to him.
10. Chapter 9 begins in _____________.
(a) A flute joint.
(b) A jazz joint.
(c) A juke joint.
(d) A rock joint.
11. During her initiation with Luke Turner, Hurston wears a crown made of _____________.
12. What does Hurston want to make sure she studies in Chapter 1 of Hoodoo?
(b) North Eastern folklore.
(c) Travel patterns.
(d) Her family tree.
13. What does Marie Leveau tell Luke Turner to build to wait for power?
(a) An altar.
(b) A temple.
(c) A bench.
(d) A boat.
14. How many days does Marie Leveau disappear before and after St. John's eve?
15. What is Reverend Father Joe Watson's nickname?
(a) Dirty Dog.
(b) Wacky Panda.
(c) Frizzly Rooster.
(d) Shorn Sheep.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tool did God use to make the world according to Floyd Thomas?
2. In Chapter 4, what must Hurston catch to complete her first spell?
3. According to Floyd Thomas, why did God make the world?
4. What is wrong with the snail in the story about the snail couple?
5. Where does Hurston travel to in Chapter 10?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)