|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened when the police tried to arrest Marie Leveau?
(a) She died.
(b) She disappered in a cloud of smoke.
(c) She ran away.
(d) They asked her for spells.
2. How long does Luke Turner have to live?
(a) One year and thirty days.
(b) Sixty-six months.
(c) One year and seventy-nine days.
(d) Twenty-nine years.
3. Where is Hurston in Chapter 7?
(a) Telling stories in a circle.
(b) Reading a book.
(c) Eating in a cafe.
(d) Shopping in a store.
4. What does Hurston learn in the letter from Big Sweet?
(a) Someone died.
(b) Her mother died.
(c) Big Sweet is pregnant.
(d) She is invited to a wedding.
5. What does Dr. Samuel Jenkins rely on for his work?
(a) Reading cards.
(c) Palm reading.
(d) A familiar.
6. How does Hurston prepare to write about hoodoo?
(a) She calls her mom.
(b) She goes to the library.
(c) She finds a teacher.
(d) She searches the internet.
7. Why does Hurston believe Luke Turner reacts the way he does to her?
(a) He is married.
(b) He is stupid.
(c) He is selfish.
(d) His natural confidence.
8. In Chapter 7, someone is teased for not wanting to shoot ________________.
(a) A bear.
(b) A gun.
(c) A robber.
(d) His neighbor.
9. What do people make drinks out of at the joint?
(a) Water and sugar.
(b) Vodka and schnapps.
(c) Sterno and sugar.
(d) Beer and sugar.
10. The man in Larkins White's story sees _______________.
(a) Turkey, ducks and frogs.
(b) Dogs, cats, and a bear.
(c) Turkey, deer, ducks and partridges.
(d) Lions, tigers and bears.
11. According to Mark C. Ford, why did the devil go to heaven?
(a) To capture angels.
(b) To meet with God.
(c) To visit his mother.
(d) To say hello.
12. Who is Big Sweet?
(a) A woman who tries to fight with Hurston.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A woman who promises to watch out for Hurston.
(d) A cook.
13. "Flutter bys" later become known as ____________.
14. What did God create at around half-past five on the sixth day?
15. How does Hurston get Luke Tuner to speak about Marie Leveau?
(a) She "dances the jig" with him.
(b) She "dickers" with him.
(c) She "sweet as sugar" to him.
(d) She "picks his noggin."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man in Larkins White's story smother?
2. What happens to someone if found in possession of a drink at the joint?
3. Why did the bullet remain in the story about firing a gun out the doorway?
4. How much does Dr. Duke charge?
5. What tool did God use to make the world according to Floyd Thomas?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)