|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charlie say is the reason for why religions divide?
2. What do the townspeople think about the author's choice of towns?
(a) They think Orlando would be better.
(b) They think she came to the right place.
(c) They wish she would leave.
(d) They are indifferent.
3. What do people hide behind at a "toe party"?
(a) A donkey.
(b) A foot.
(c) A curtain.
(d) A door.
4. How long does Hurston plan on staying in town?
(a) One month.
(b) Several months.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) A year.
5. What do the men hear in Chapter 6 on their way to the "jook joint"?
(a) An accident.
6. What is the only part of the body women reveal at a "toe party"?
(a) A toe.
(b) A foot.
(c) A tongue.
(d) A finger.
7. How long does the "toe party" last?
(a) Till the cops arrive.
(b) Several hours.
(c) Till 5 a.m.
(d) Two hours.
8. In Chapter 2, what is the occupation of the older brother in the story?
9. In Chapter 4, the men tell stories about bosses. What are the bosses like?
10. What city does the author cross into at the start of the book?
11. What does Hurston believe must occur before justice is reached?
(a) A trial.
(b) A quota.
(c) A sermon.
(d) A crime.
12. Why does the person who died in the Johnstown flood say someone is rude?
(a) He doesn't listen to his story.
(b) They didn't open the gates.
(c) They wouldn't send him back.
(d) She yelled at him.
13. Why did the boss dock the workers' pay after the boiler explosion?
(a) The money burned in the fire.
(b) The mill closed.
(c) They were up in the air.
(d) They caused the explosion.
14. What stories do the men tell on the way to work in Chapter 4?
(a) About birds.
(b) About pretty people.
(c) About working in an office.
(d) About ugly people.
15. Why does Hurston want to go to a new location at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) Her mother died.
(b) New stories.
(c) Better neighborhoods.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were the drawers hanging when the second slave was beaten in Chapter 5?
2. What street does Hurston stay on when she arrives in town?
3. What happened to the man in the story in Chapter 4 that was dipped in the river?
4. Whom does Hurston plan to stay with in town?
5. What is the fight that breaks out in Chapter 2 about?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)