|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Hurston plan on staying in town?
(a) One month.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Several months.
(d) A year.
2. Why did John go to the field?
(a) He was lost.
(b) His student ran away.
(c) His master told him to go.
(d) To tend to his crops.
3. Who raced to two packages in Chapter 4?
(a) A black man and a white man.
(b) Two women.
(c) A child.
(d) Two children.
4. Whom does Hurston plan to stay with in town?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her friend.
(d) Her brother.
5. Where does Hurston end up following the men to work in Chapter 4?
(a) The beach.
(b) The mall.
(c) The mill.
(d) The swamp.
6. In Chapter 2, what topic do most of the stories cover?
7. In Chapter 4, what does Hurston claim that she does not want to do to the reader?
(a) Make them laugh.
(b) Make them cry.
(c) Mislead them.
(d) Scare them.
8. In Chapter 4, the men tell stories about bosses. What are the bosses like?
9. Why did the man in Chapter 2 know he was not meant to be a preacher?
(a) He ate two chickens instead of four.
(b) He didn't hear his voice in the well.
(c) He did land on the other side of the log.
(d) He slept through church.
10. Why was the first slave not punished for cussing out the master in Chapter 5?
(a) He did it in Spanish.
(b) He did it in English.
(c) He used proper grammar.
(d) He didn't do it to his face.
11. What story does Gold tell in Chapter 2?
(a) How God created skin color.
(b) How the rhino got its horn.
(c) Why churches are tall.
(d) How the banker became greedy.
12. Why did the man pull the sheet over his head every night in the story in Chapter 4?
(a) He liked his house dark.
(b) To let sleep in.
(c) His wife was ugly.
(d) He was afraid of ghosts.
13. How do the men react to their partners at a "toe party"?
(a) Men never see their partners, only their knees.
(b) Some are disappointed.
(c) Everyone is happy.
(d) No one is happy.
14. Why, in Chapter 4, is the men's workday canceled?
(a) The foreman is ill.
(b) It's a holiday.
(c) The snow.
(d) The rain.
15. In Chapter 4, how long does John stay with the animal?
(a) All night.
(b) Three days.
(c) A week.
(d) Two days.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charlie say is the reason for why religions divide?
2. Another man in Chapter 4 tells a story about a man dipped in a river. What river was the man dipped in?
3. Why did the boss dock the workers' pay after the boiler explosion?
4. In Chapter 3, who ends the story by interrupting?
5. Shug is short for _____________.
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)