|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sign does Hurston see in Chapter 4 that intrigues her?
(a) Jack Hammer Cypress Camps.
(b) Historic Folktale Museum.
(c) Everglades Cypress Lumber Company.
(d) Everglades Gator Tours.
2. Why is the rude person uninterested in speaking to the person who died in the Johnstown flood?
(a) He knows all there is to know about floods.
(b) She is busy watching her family.
(c) He is busy cleaning harps.
(d) She is too busy
3. Whom does Hurston plan to stay with in town?
(a) Her friend.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her brother.
4. Who is the rude person that the person who died in Johnstown flood encounters?
5. Which two people does Hurston say supply enough stories for one book?
(a) Suzy and Leo.
(b) George and Jan.
(c) Sweet Pea and Linus.
(d) Charlie and George.
6. What do people hide behind at a "toe party"?
(a) A foot.
(b) A donkey.
(c) A curtain.
(d) A door.
7. Why does Hurston want to go to a new location at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) New stories.
(b) Her mother died.
(d) Better neighborhoods.
8. What is the fight that breaks out in Chapter 2 about?
(c) Skin color.
9. How to the men react to the new person in town at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) Some watch, some leave.
(b) They all dance.
(c) They run away screaming.
(d) They question the person.
10. In Chapter 2, what is the occupation of the older brother in the story?
11. What are the men doing at the start of Chapter 6?
(c) Playing cards.
12. Another man in Chapter 4 tells a story about a man dipped in a river. What river was the man dipped in?
(a) Erie River.
(b) Hudson River.
(c) Salty River.
(d) Mississippi River.
13. In Chapter 4, who is John?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A slave.
(c) A banker.
(d) A master.
14. Why can't John let the animal he finds in the field go?
(a) The animal will eat him.
(b) He wants to eat the animal.
(c) The animal will bring its friends.
(d) He wants it as a pet.
15. Why does Hurston develop her initial opinion of the townspeople in Chapter 4?
(a) They are on the run from the law.
(b) They offer her a hot meal.
(c) The spit on her.
(d) They wash her clothes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who raced to two packages in Chapter 4?
2. Why are the people at Pine Mill afraid of Hurston?
3. Where does Hurston end up following the men to work in Chapter 4?
4. What does Hurston think of the local liquor served at the "toe party"?
5. How long does the "toe party" last?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)