|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who arrives in town at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) A travelling preacher.
(b) A bank robber.
(c) The mayor.
(d) Hurston's husband.
2. What caused the Johnstown flood?
(a) Breaking barrels.
(b) Poor government.
(c) Damaged levies.
(d) Heavy rain.
3. What do the men hear in Chapter 6 on their way to the "jook joint"?
(c) An accident.
4. What was being stolen from the field in the story from Chapter 4?
(c) Green beans.
5. Why does Hurston go to Pine Mill?
(a) For a dance.
(b) To work.
(c) To meet her mother.
(d) To hear a story.
6. Who is the person that is traveling in this book?
(b) Mule boy.
7. Who is Babe Hill?
(a) The mayor.
(b) A woman who murdered her husband.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A baseball player.
8. Why does Hurston travel to town?
(a) To raise her family.
(b) To find work.
(c) To hear folktales.
(d) To find a man.
9. What does a man tell Hurston some people are only good at doing to groceries?
10. What is James Mosely's story about?
(a) Two angels.
(b) Three pigs.
(c) Two wolves.
(d) Eight angels.
11. Why can't John let the animal he finds in the field go?
(a) He wants to eat the animal.
(b) He wants it as a pet.
(c) The animal will eat him.
(d) The animal will bring its friends.
12. Where were the drawers hanging when the second slave was beaten in Chapter 5?
(a) On a tree branch.
(b) On the missus.
(c) In the laundry machine.
(d) On the line.
13. Whom does Hurston plan to stay with in town?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her friend.
(d) Her sister.
14. How many times is Hurston "sold" at the "toe party"?
(a) Five times.
(c) Ten times.
(d) One time.
15. What does Hurston claim the Sheriff will do to the woman who killed five men?
(a) Arrest her.
(b) Shoot her.
(c) Reward her.
(d) Scold her.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, where does Hurston initially plan to follow the men to work?
2. In Chapter 5, why did the first slave avoid a beating for looking up the drawers?
3. What does "Big Moose done come down from de mountain" mean?
4. Who raced to two packages in Chapter 4?
5. Whom does the brother outsmart in John French's story?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)