|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the fight that breaks out in Chapter 2 about?
(a) Skin color.
2. Who says "Big Moose done come down from de mountain"?
(a) Jan Beaks.
(b) Charlie Jones.
3. How man people arrive at "Mets" house to tell stories the first night?
4. Why does Hurston want to go to a new location at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) Her mother died.
(b) New stories.
(d) Better neighborhoods.
5. Why does Hurston travel to town?
(a) To raise her family.
(b) To find a man.
(c) To find work.
(d) To hear folktales.
6. Where does the person go after dying in the Johnstown flood?
7. Who is Ellis?
(a) The sheriff.
(b) A priest.
(c) Hurston's friend's husband.
(d) A baker.
8. How do young men get to dance at a "toe party"?
(a) They fight.
(b) They sing.
(c) They pay.
(d) They have a dance off.
9. What stories do the men tell on the way to work in Chapter 4?
(a) About birds.
(b) About ugly people.
(c) About working in an office.
(d) About pretty people.
10. Another man in Chapter 4 tells a story about a man dipped in a river. What river was the man dipped in?
(a) Erie River.
(b) Salty River.
(c) Hudson River.
(d) Mississippi River.
11. In what city does Hurston stop in Chapter 4?
(a) Everglade City.
12. Why did the man in Chapter 2 know he was not meant to be a preacher?
(a) He ate two chickens instead of four.
(b) He didn't hear his voice in the well.
(c) He did land on the other side of the log.
(d) He slept through church.
13. What does Hurston think of the local liquor served at the "toe party"?
(a) It is too strong.
(b) It tastes great.
(c) It is too weak.
(d) It tastes like water.
14. What do the men hear in Chapter 6 on their way to the "jook joint"?
(b) An accident.
15. Who arrives in town at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) A bank robber.
(b) A travelling preacher.
(c) The mayor.
(d) Hurston's husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does John trick into holding the animal in the field?
2. What happened to the man in the story in Chapter 4 that was dipped in the river?
3. What does "Big Moose done come down from de mountain" mean?
4. What part of the animal did John grab a hold of in Chapter 4?
5. What does Hurston believe must occur before justice is reached?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)