|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hurston want to go to a new location at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) Better neighborhoods.
(c) Her mother died.
(d) New stories.
2. What is the only part of the body women reveal at a "toe party"?
(a) A foot.
(b) A finger.
(c) A tongue.
(d) A toe.
3. Where were the drawers hanging when the second slave was beaten in Chapter 5?
(a) On the line.
(b) On the missus.
(c) In the laundry machine.
(d) On a tree branch.
4. Who is Babe Hill?
(a) A woman who murdered her husband.
(b) The mayor.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A baseball player.
5. In Chapter 4, where does Hurston initially plan to follow the men to work?
(a) The mill.
(b) The beach.
(c) The mall.
(d) The swamp.
6. Why are the people at Pine Mill afraid of Hurston?
(a) Her clothes.
(b) Her loud voice.
(c) Her car.
(d) Her gun.
7. In Mathilda Mosley's story, woman asks God for ____________.
(a) A harp.
8. Why does Hurston develop her initial opinion of the townspeople in Chapter 4?
(a) They offer her a hot meal.
(b) They wash her clothes.
(c) The spit on her.
(d) They are on the run from the law.
9. Who is the rude person that the person who died in Johnstown flood encounters?
10. What do the townspeople think about the author's choice of towns?
(a) They think Orlando would be better.
(b) They think she came to the right place.
(c) They are indifferent.
(d) They wish she would leave.
11. What county does Hurston travel toward in Chapter 4?
12. Whom does Hurston plan to stay with in town?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her sister.
(d) Her friend.
13. Who arrives in town at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) A bank robber.
(b) Hurston's husband.
(c) The mayor.
(d) A travelling preacher.
14. What do people hide behind at a "toe party"?
(a) A donkey.
(b) A curtain.
(c) A door.
(d) A foot.
15. What does Hurston claim the Sheriff will do to the woman who killed five men?
(a) Arrest her.
(b) Scold her.
(c) Reward her.
(d) Shoot her.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, the men tell stories about bosses. What are the bosses like?
2. Why can't John let the animal he finds in the field go?
3. Why did the man pull the sheet over his head every night in the story in Chapter 4?
4. What happened to the man in the story in Chapter 4 that was dipped in the river?
5. John discovers _____________ stealing from the field.
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)