|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What county does Hurston travel toward in Chapter 4?
2. How long does Hurston plan on staying in town?
(a) One month.
(b) A year.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Several months.
3. What dong does Hurston sing at the Pine Mill?
(a) "Dear John."
(b) "John Henry."
(c) "James Smith."
(d) "Old Sam."
4. Why did the boss dock the workers' pay after the boiler explosion?
(a) They caused the explosion.
(b) They were up in the air.
(c) The mill closed.
(d) The money burned in the fire.
5. How does Hurston become accepted by people in Chapter 4?
(a) Gives them a ride in her car.
(b) Preaches to them.
(c) Sells them some gin.
(d) Tells them she is a bootlegger.
6. What does "Big Moose done come down from de mountain" mean?
(a) Winter is here.
(b) Death is coming.
(c) An earthquake is coming.
(d) Important things will happen.
7. What is the fight that breaks out in Chapter 2 about?
(a) Skin color.
8. Why does Hurston go to Pine Mill?
(a) To work.
(b) For a dance.
(c) To meet her mother.
(d) To hear a story.
9. What happened to the man in the story in Chapter 4 that was dipped in the river?
(a) "He played the yarn fiddle."
(b) "He swam with the fishes."
(c) He was "skimmed ugly for six months."
(d) He was "dunked like a skunk."
10. In Chapter 4, who is John?
(a) A slave.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A master.
(d) A banker.
11. Another man in Chapter 4 tells a story about a man dipped in a river. What river was the man dipped in?
(a) Erie River.
(b) Salty River.
(c) Hudson River.
(d) Mississippi River.
12. When does a "toe party" really start to get wild?
(a) When the band starts playing.
(b) When the people from Eatonville arrive.
(c) After appetizers.
(d) At 9 p.m.
13. In Chapter 2, what topic do most of the stories cover?
14. In Chapter 4, what does Hurston claim that she does not want to do to the reader?
(a) Mislead them.
(b) Make them cry.
(c) Scare them.
(d) Make them laugh.
15. Mr. Pitts teases Hurston in a ____________ voice.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Hurston plan to stay with in town?
2. How to the men react to the new person in town at the end of Chapter 6?
3. What is James Mosely's story about?
4. Who raced to two packages in Chapter 4?
5. Who arrives in town at the end of Chapter 6?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)