|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men hear in Chapter 6 on their way to the "jook joint"?
(a) An accident.
2. What is the only part of the body women reveal at a "toe party"?
(a) A finger.
(b) A toe.
(c) A foot.
(d) A tongue.
3. Whom does Hurston plan to stay with in town?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her friend.
(d) Her brother.
4. What are the men doing at the start of Chapter 6?
(b) Playing cards.
5. Why does Hurston develop her initial opinion of the townspeople in Chapter 4?
(a) They are on the run from the law.
(b) They offer her a hot meal.
(c) The spit on her.
(d) They wash her clothes.
6. Who is invited to a "toe party" in Chapter 1?
7. In Chapter 3, who tells the first story?
8. What caused the Johnstown flood?
(a) Poor government.
(b) Damaged levies.
(c) Breaking barrels.
(d) Heavy rain.
9. Whom does the brother outsmart in John French's story?
(a) His wife.
(b) His brother.
(c) His father.
(d) The devil.
10. Who is Babe Hill?
(a) A baseball player.
(b) A woman who murdered her husband.
(c) The mayor.
(d) A teacher.
11. Where were the drawers hanging when the second slave was beaten in Chapter 5?
(a) In the laundry machine.
(b) On the line.
(c) On the missus.
(d) On a tree branch.
12. What does Hurston believe must occur before justice is reached?
(a) A sermon.
(b) A crime.
(c) A trial.
(d) A quota.
13. Why can't John let the animal he finds in the field go?
(a) He wants to eat the animal.
(b) The animal will eat him.
(c) He wants it as a pet.
(d) The animal will bring its friends.
14. What is Joe Wiley's story about in chapter 5?
(a) A farm.
(b) Two thieves.
(c) A hitchhiker.
(d) Two slaves.
15. Why does Hurston go to Pine Mill?
(a) To work.
(b) To meet her mother.
(c) To hear a story.
(d) For a dance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the younger brother at the end of the story in Chapter 2 do for a living?
2. What does a man tell Hurston some people are only good at doing to groceries?
3. What dong does Hurston sing at the Pine Mill?
4. What is James Mosely's story about?
5. What happens when Hurston arrives at Pine Mill?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)