|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which two people does Hurston say supply enough stories for one book?
(a) Suzy and Leo.
(b) Charlie and George.
(c) George and Jan.
(d) Sweet Pea and Linus.
2. How do the men react to their partners at a "toe party"?
(a) Men never see their partners, only their knees.
(b) Everyone is happy.
(c) Some are disappointed.
(d) No one is happy.
3. When does a "toe party" really start to get wild?
(a) After appetizers.
(b) When the people from Eatonville arrive.
(c) When the band starts playing.
(d) At 9 p.m.
4. Why is the rude person uninterested in speaking to the person who died in the Johnstown flood?
(a) He knows all there is to know about floods.
(b) She is too busy
(c) She is busy watching her family.
(d) He is busy cleaning harps.
5. In Chapter 4, how long does John stay with the animal?
(a) All night.
(b) A week.
(c) Two days.
(d) Three days.
6. Why did the man pull the sheet over his head every night in the story in Chapter 4?
(a) His wife was ugly.
(b) He was afraid of ghosts.
(c) To let sleep in.
(d) He liked his house dark.
7. Whom does John trick into holding the animal in the field?
(a) A friend.
(b) A student.
(c) A teacher.
(d) His master.
8. Who is Ellis?
(a) The sheriff.
(b) A baker.
(c) Hurston's friend's husband.
(d) A priest.
9. Why does Hurston develop her initial opinion of the townspeople in Chapter 4?
(a) They are on the run from the law.
(b) They offer her a hot meal.
(c) They wash her clothes.
(d) The spit on her.
10. What was in the smaller box in the tale of two boxes?
(a) A wallet.
(b) A pen and paper.
(c) A cake.
(d) A hammer and nail.
11. Why does the person who died in the Johnstown flood say someone is rude?
(a) He doesn't listen to his story.
(b) They wouldn't send him back.
(c) They didn't open the gates.
(d) She yelled at him.
12. Who is the first person to introduce himself to Hurston?
(a) Mr. Pitts.
(b) Mr. Piefer.
(c) Mr. Clean.
(d) Mr. Spock.
13. Who is invited to a "toe party" in Chapter 1?
14. How long does Hurston plan on staying in town?
(a) A year.
(b) Several months.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) One month.
15. Who drowned in the Johnstown flood?
(a) A white woman.
(b) Three children.
(c) A dog and a cat.
(d) A black man.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, who is John?
2. Where were the drawers hanging when the second slave was beaten in Chapter 5?
3. Why did John go to the field?
4. In Chapter 4, where does Hurston initially plan to follow the men to work?
5. When does Hurston travel to Pine Mill?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)