|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the person who died in the Johnstown flood say someone is rude?
(a) She yelled at him.
(b) He doesn't listen to his story.
(c) They wouldn't send him back.
(d) They didn't open the gates.
2. Who raced to two packages in Chapter 4?
(a) A black man and a white man.
(b) Two women.
(c) A child.
(d) Two children.
3. Why is the rude person uninterested in speaking to the person who died in the Johnstown flood?
(a) She is busy watching her family.
(b) He is busy cleaning harps.
(c) She is too busy
(d) He knows all there is to know about floods.
4. How long does Hurston plan on staying in town?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Several months.
(c) A year.
(d) One month.
5. In Chapter 3, who tells the first story?
6. John discovers _____________ stealing from the field.
(a) A bear.
(b) A dog.
(c) A lion.
(d) A cat.
7. Why are the people at Pine Mill afraid of Hurston?
(a) Her car.
(b) Her clothes.
(c) Her gun.
(d) Her loud voice.
8. In Chapter 4, what does Hurston initially think of the people in the city where she stops?
(a) She trusts them.
(b) She hates them.
(c) She does not trust them.
(d) She likes them.
9. What does Hurston think of the local liquor served at the "toe party"?
(a) It is too strong.
(b) It is too weak.
(c) It tastes like water.
(d) It tastes great.
10. How do the men react to their partners at a "toe party"?
(a) No one is happy.
(b) Everyone is happy.
(c) Some are disappointed.
(d) Men never see their partners, only their knees.
11. Why did the man in Chapter 2 know he was not meant to be a preacher?
(a) He slept through church.
(b) He didn't hear his voice in the well.
(c) He ate two chickens instead of four.
(d) He did land on the other side of the log.
12. What is Joe Wiley's story about in chapter 5?
(a) A hitchhiker.
(b) A farm.
(c) Two slaves.
(d) Two thieves.
13. How many times is Hurston "sold" at the "toe party"?
(a) Five times.
(b) Ten times.
(d) One time.
14. What was in the smaller box in the tale of two boxes?
(a) A hammer and nail.
(b) A pen and paper.
(c) A wallet.
(d) A cake.
15. Why did the man pull the sheet over his head every night in the story in Chapter 4?
(a) He liked his house dark.
(b) He was afraid of ghosts.
(c) His wife was ugly.
(d) To let sleep in.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sign does Hurston see in Chapter 4 that intrigues her?
2. Where does Hurston end up following the men to work in Chapter 4?
3. What does Hurston believe must occur before justice is reached?
4. Who says "Big Moose done come down from de mountain"?
5. Who drowned in the Johnstown flood?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)