|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what city does Hurston stop in Chapter 4?
(c) Everglade City.
2. Who is the first person to introduce himself to Hurston?
(a) Mr. Pitts.
(b) Mr. Spock.
(c) Mr. Clean.
(d) Mr. Piefer.
3. In Chapter 3, who tells the first story?
4. Who is Babe Hill?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A baseball player.
(c) A woman who murdered her husband.
(d) The mayor.
5. Which two people does Hurston say supply enough stories for one book?
(a) Suzy and Leo.
(b) Charlie and George.
(c) George and Jan.
(d) Sweet Pea and Linus.
6. Why is the rude person uninterested in speaking to the person who died in the Johnstown flood?
(a) She is too busy
(b) He knows all there is to know about floods.
(c) He is busy cleaning harps.
(d) She is busy watching her family.
7. Who is the person that is traveling in this book?
(d) Mule boy.
8. Why does Hurston develop her initial opinion of the townspeople in Chapter 4?
(a) The spit on her.
(b) They are on the run from the law.
(c) They offer her a hot meal.
(d) They wash her clothes.
9. Where does the person go after dying in the Johnstown flood?
10. In Chapter 4, where does Hurston initially plan to follow the men to work?
(a) The mall.
(b) The beach.
(c) The swamp.
(d) The mill.
11. What does Hurston think of the local liquor served at the "toe party"?
(a) It tastes great.
(b) It is too weak.
(c) It is too strong.
(d) It tastes like water.
12. In Chapter 3, who ends the story by interrupting?
13. Why does the person who died in the Johnstown flood say someone is rude?
(a) He doesn't listen to his story.
(b) They wouldn't send him back.
(c) She yelled at him.
(d) They didn't open the gates.
14. Why can't John let the animal he finds in the field go?
(a) The animal will bring its friends.
(b) The animal will eat him.
(c) He wants it as a pet.
(d) He wants to eat the animal.
15. Why did the boss dock the workers' pay after the boiler explosion?
(a) They were up in the air.
(b) They caused the explosion.
(c) The money burned in the fire.
(d) The mill closed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the second slave beaten for cussing at the master in Joe Wiley's story?
2. Why are the people at Pine Mill afraid of Hurston?
3. Where were the drawers hanging when the second slave was beaten in Chapter 5?
4. Who says "Big Moose done come down from de mountain"?
5. Another man in Chapter 4 tells a story about a man dipped in a river. What river was the man dipped in?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)