|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How to the men react to the new person in town at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) They run away screaming.
(b) Some watch, some leave.
(c) They all dance.
(d) They question the person.
2. Whom does the brother outsmart in John French's story?
(a) The devil.
(b) His brother.
(c) His wife.
(d) His father.
3. Where were the drawers hanging when the second slave was beaten in Chapter 5?
(a) On the line.
(b) On a tree branch.
(c) In the laundry machine.
(d) On the missus.
4. What street does Hurston stay on when she arrives in town?
(a) Front Street.
(b) Cycle Lane.
(c) Back Street.
(d) Abbey Leaf Lane.
5. Why, in Chapter 4, is the men's workday canceled?
(a) It's a holiday.
(b) The snow.
(c) The foreman is ill.
(d) The rain.
6. What do the people in town want to know about the author when she arrives in town?
(a) How much she makes.
(b) How long she will be there.
(c) Her religion.
(d) If she has children.
7. How man people arrive at "Mets" house to tell stories the first night?
8. Why does Hurston go to Pine Mill?
(a) To work.
(b) To meet her mother.
(c) To hear a story.
(d) For a dance.
9. What story does Gold tell in Chapter 2?
(a) How God created skin color.
(b) Why churches are tall.
(c) How the rhino got its horn.
(d) How the banker became greedy.
10. Why did the boss dock the workers' pay after the boiler explosion?
(a) They were up in the air.
(b) They caused the explosion.
(c) The money burned in the fire.
(d) The mill closed.
11. What do the townspeople think about the author's choice of towns?
(a) They think she came to the right place.
(b) They wish she would leave.
(c) They think Orlando would be better.
(d) They are indifferent.
12. What was being stolen from the field in the story from Chapter 4?
(c) Green beans.
13. Who drowned in the Johnstown flood?
(a) Three children.
(b) A dog and a cat.
(c) A white woman.
(d) A black man.
14. Mr. Pitts teases Hurston in a ____________ voice.
15. John discovers _____________ stealing from the field.
(a) A bear.
(b) A dog.
(c) A lion.
(d) A cat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men hear in Chapter 6 on their way to the "jook joint"?
2. Why are the people at Pine Mill afraid of Hurston?
3. Who raced to two packages in Chapter 4?
4. A man in Chapter 4 claims he knew a man like the one who was dunked in the river. He claims he did not die. What happened to him?
5. Another man in Chapter 4 tells a story about a man dipped in a river. What river was the man dipped in?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)