|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who arrives in town at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) The mayor.
(b) A bank robber.
(c) A travelling preacher.
(d) Hurston's husband.
2. What does Hurston believe must occur before justice is reached?
(a) A sermon.
(b) A trial.
(c) A crime.
(d) A quota.
3. What county does Hurston travel toward in Chapter 4?
4. What does Hurston think of the local liquor served at the "toe party"?
(a) It tastes like water.
(b) It is too strong.
(c) It tastes great.
(d) It is too weak.
5. In Chapter 2, what is the occupation of the older brother in the story?
6. How do the men react to their partners at a "toe party"?
(a) Men never see their partners, only their knees.
(b) Everyone is happy.
(c) Some are disappointed.
(d) No one is happy.
7. Why are the people at Pine Mill afraid of Hurston?
(a) Her clothes.
(b) Her loud voice.
(c) Her car.
(d) Her gun.
8. Who is the person that is traveling in this book?
(c) Mule boy.
9. Who drowned in the Johnstown flood?
(a) A dog and a cat.
(b) A white woman.
(c) Three children.
(d) A black man.
10. Which two people does Hurston say supply enough stories for one book?
(a) Sweet Pea and Linus.
(b) George and Jan.
(c) Suzy and Leo.
(d) Charlie and George.
11. How does Mr. Pitts plan to demonstrate his feelings towards Hurston?
(a) He will ignore her.
(b) He will take her to Paris.
(c) He will cook his own breakfast.
(d) He will wash her car.
12. Who says "Big Moose done come down from de mountain"?
(c) Jan Beaks.
(d) Charlie Jones.
13. What does a man tell Hurston some people are only good at doing to groceries?
14. Whom does Hurston plan to stay with in town?
(a) Her friend.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her brother.
15. In Chapter 4, what does Hurston claim that she does not want to do to the reader?
(a) Make them cry.
(b) Scare them.
(c) Make them laugh.
(d) Mislead them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why, in Chapter 4, is the men's workday canceled?
2. Why did the boss dock the workers' pay after the boiler explosion?
3. Why does Hurston want to go to a new location at the end of Chapter 3?
4. What does "Big Moose done come down from de mountain" mean?
5. In what state does the author spend most of her time collecting stories?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)