|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first person to introduce himself to Hurston?
(a) Mr. Piefer.
(b) Mr. Spock.
(c) Mr. Clean.
(d) Mr. Pitts.
2. Who drowned in the Johnstown flood?
(a) A black man.
(b) A dog and a cat.
(c) Three children.
(d) A white woman.
3. What does Charlie say is the reason for why religions divide?
4. Why does Hurston develop her initial opinion of the townspeople in Chapter 4?
(a) They wash her clothes.
(b) The spit on her.
(c) They offer her a hot meal.
(d) They are on the run from the law.
5. In Chapter 5, why did the first slave avoid a beating for looking up the drawers?
(a) They were on the line.
(b) They were in the laundry room.
(c) They were on the missus.
(d) They were hanging on a tree.
6. What sign does Hurston see in Chapter 4 that intrigues her?
(a) Everglades Gator Tours.
(b) Everglades Cypress Lumber Company.
(c) Jack Hammer Cypress Camps.
(d) Historic Folktale Museum.
7. Shug is short for _____________.
8. Why does the person who died in the Johnstown flood say someone is rude?
(a) She yelled at him.
(b) They wouldn't send him back.
(c) He doesn't listen to his story.
(d) They didn't open the gates.
9. Who is the person that is traveling in this book?
(c) Mule boy.
10. Whom does the deceased person speak to after dying in the Johnstown flood?
(b) St. Peter.
11. John discovers _____________ stealing from the field.
(a) A bear.
(b) A cat.
(c) A lion.
(d) A dog.
12. Where does the person go after dying in the Johnstown flood?
13. In Chapter 4, where does Hurston initially plan to follow the men to work?
(a) The mill.
(b) The beach.
(c) The swamp.
(d) The mall.
14. Who says "Big Moose done come down from de mountain"?
(a) Charlie Jones.
(d) Jan Beaks.
15. Why does Hurston want to go to a new location at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) New stories.
(c) Her mother died.
(d) Better neighborhoods.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hurston become accepted by people in Chapter 4?
2. In Chapter 4, what does Hurston claim that she does not want to do to the reader?
3. Why does Hurston travel to town?
4. What happened to the man in the story in Chapter 4 that was dipped in the river?
5. What is Joe Wiley's story about in chapter 5?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)