|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the fight that breaks out in Chapter 2 about?
(a) Skin color.
2. What do people hide behind at a "toe party"?
(a) A foot.
(b) A door.
(c) A donkey.
(d) A curtain.
3. In Chapter 3, who tells the first story?
4. What is James Mosely's story about?
(a) Two wolves.
(b) Eight angels.
(c) Three pigs.
(d) Two angels.
5. What was being stolen from the field in the story from Chapter 4?
(b) Green beans.
6. Whom does the brother outsmart in John French's story?
(a) His brother.
(b) His father.
(c) His wife.
(d) The devil.
7. In Chapter 2, what topic do most of the stories cover?
8. In what city does Hurston stop in Chapter 4?
(a) Everglade City.
9. What street does Hurston stay on when she arrives in town?
(a) Front Street.
(b) Back Street.
(c) Abbey Leaf Lane.
(d) Cycle Lane.
10. What story does Gold tell in Chapter 2?
(a) How the banker became greedy.
(b) How God created skin color.
(c) How the rhino got its horn.
(d) Why churches are tall.
11. Whom does John trick into holding the animal in the field?
(a) A friend.
(b) His master.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A student.
12. Why did the boss dock the workers' pay after the boiler explosion?
(a) They caused the explosion.
(b) The money burned in the fire.
(c) The mill closed.
(d) They were up in the air.
13. How does Mr. Pitts plan to demonstrate his feelings towards Hurston?
(a) He will ignore her.
(b) He will cook his own breakfast.
(c) He will take her to Paris.
(d) He will wash her car.
14. In Chapter 4, what does Hurston claim that she does not want to do to the reader?
(a) Scare them.
(b) Make them cry.
(c) Make them laugh.
(d) Mislead them.
15. In Chapter 5, why did the first slave avoid a beating for looking up the drawers?
(a) They were on the missus.
(b) They were on the line.
(c) They were in the laundry room.
(d) They were hanging on a tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "Big Moose done come down from de mountain" mean?
2. What does the younger brother at the end of the story in Chapter 2 do for a living?
3. What are the men doing at the start of Chapter 6?
4. How long does Hurston plan on staying in town?
5. When does a "toe party" really start to get wild?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)