|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the man pull the sheet over his head every night in the story in Chapter 4?
(a) He liked his house dark.
(b) His wife was ugly.
(c) To let sleep in.
(d) He was afraid of ghosts.
2. Who is Ellis?
(a) The sheriff.
(b) A baker.
(c) A priest.
(d) Hurston's friend's husband.
3. Mr. Pitts teases Hurston in a ____________ voice.
4. In Chapter 3, who tells the first story?
5. Who is Babe Hill?
(a) A baseball player.
(b) A teacher.
(c) The mayor.
(d) A woman who murdered her husband.
6. What dong does Hurston sing at the Pine Mill?
(a) "Old Sam."
(b) "James Smith."
(c) "Dear John."
(d) "John Henry."
7. What does a man tell Hurston some people are only good at doing to groceries?
8. In what state does the author spend most of her time collecting stories?
9. Where were the drawers hanging when the second slave was beaten in Chapter 5?
(a) On the missus.
(b) On the line.
(c) In the laundry machine.
(d) On a tree branch.
10. What does Hurston think of the local liquor served at the "toe party"?
(a) It tastes like water.
(b) It tastes great.
(c) It is too strong.
(d) It is too weak.
11. When does Hurston travel to Pine Mill?
(a) Every third Sunday.
(b) March 6th.
(c) On payday.
(d) When the mood strikes her.
12. What do people hide behind at a "toe party"?
(a) A curtain.
(b) A foot.
(c) A door.
(d) A donkey.
13. In Chapter 4, what does Hurston initially think of the people in the city where she stops?
(a) She trusts them.
(b) She hates them.
(c) She likes them.
(d) She does not trust them.
14. Who drowned in the Johnstown flood?
(a) A white woman.
(b) A dog and a cat.
(c) Three children.
(d) A black man.
15. What happens when Hurston arrives at Pine Mill?
(a) She goes to work.
(b) Everyone asks her to dance.
(c) The people elect her as mayor.
(d) No one asks her to dance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only part of the body women reveal at a "toe party"?
2. What do the men hear in Chapter 6 on their way to the "jook joint"?
3. In Chapter 2, what topic do most of the stories cover?
4. How long does the "toe party" last?
5. When does a "toe party" really start to get wild?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)