|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what state does the author spend most of her time collecting stories?
2. What does "Big Moose done come down from de mountain" mean?
(a) Death is coming.
(b) Important things will happen.
(c) Winter is here.
(d) An earthquake is coming.
3. What is the fight that breaks out in Chapter 2 about?
(c) Skin color.
4. In Chapter 3, who ends the story by interrupting?
5. How man people arrive at "Mets" house to tell stories the first night?
6. What city does the author cross into at the start of the book?
7. How long does the "toe party" last?
(a) Several hours.
(b) Till 5 a.m.
(c) Two hours.
(d) Till the cops arrive.
8. What does Hurston think of the local liquor served at the "toe party"?
(a) It is too strong.
(b) It tastes great.
(c) It tastes like water.
(d) It is too weak.
9. Why does the person who died in the Johnstown flood say someone is rude?
(a) She yelled at him.
(b) They didn't open the gates.
(c) He doesn't listen to his story.
(d) They wouldn't send him back.
10. How does Hurston become accepted by people in Chapter 4?
(a) Tells them she is a bootlegger.
(b) Preaches to them.
(c) Gives them a ride in her car.
(d) Sells them some gin.
11. Mr. Pitts teases Hurston in a ____________ voice.
12. Why did John go to the field?
(a) His master told him to go.
(b) To tend to his crops.
(c) He was lost.
(d) His student ran away.
13. Who arrives in town at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) Hurston's husband.
(b) The mayor.
(c) A travelling preacher.
(d) A bank robber.
14. In Chapter 3, who tells the first story?
15. How does Mr. Pitts plan to demonstrate his feelings towards Hurston?
(a) He will take her to Paris.
(b) He will wash her car.
(c) He will cook his own breakfast.
(d) He will ignore her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused the Johnstown flood?
2. How many people are at the "toe party" when Hurston arrives?
3. What does the younger brother at the end of the story in Chapter 2 do for a living?
4. What does Hurston believe must occur before justice is reached?
5. Why does Hurston develop her initial opinion of the townspeople in Chapter 4?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)