|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the rude person uninterested in speaking to the person who died in the Johnstown flood?
(a) She is too busy
(b) She is busy watching her family.
(c) He knows all there is to know about floods.
(d) He is busy cleaning harps.
2. Why are the people at Pine Mill afraid of Hurston?
(a) Her car.
(b) Her gun.
(c) Her loud voice.
(d) Her clothes.
3. Why does Hurston travel to town?
(a) To find work.
(b) To hear folktales.
(c) To find a man.
(d) To raise her family.
4. In Chapter 4, the men tell stories about bosses. What are the bosses like?
5. What do the townspeople think about the author's choice of towns?
(a) They think Orlando would be better.
(b) They think she came to the right place.
(c) They are indifferent.
(d) They wish she would leave.
6. How man people arrive at "Mets" house to tell stories the first night?
7. Why did John go to the field?
(a) To tend to his crops.
(b) His student ran away.
(c) He was lost.
(d) His master told him to go.
8. Why did the boss dock the workers' pay after the boiler explosion?
(a) The mill closed.
(b) The money burned in the fire.
(c) They caused the explosion.
(d) They were up in the air.
9. What does "Big Moose done come down from de mountain" mean?
(a) An earthquake is coming.
(b) Death is coming.
(c) Important things will happen.
(d) Winter is here.
10. Mr. Pitts teases Hurston in a ____________ voice.
11. John discovers _____________ stealing from the field.
(a) A lion.
(b) A dog.
(c) A cat.
(d) A bear.
12. What occasionally happens at a "toe party" when a man is disappointed with his partner?
(a) He runs.
(b) He screams.
(c) He kisses her.
(d) He slaps her.
13. What caused the Johnstown flood?
(a) Breaking barrels.
(b) Poor government.
(c) Damaged levies.
(d) Heavy rain.
14. In Chapter 4, what does Hurston initially think of the people in the city where she stops?
(a) She does not trust them.
(b) She trusts them.
(c) She likes them.
(d) She hates them.
15. A man in Chapter 4 claims he knew a man like the one who was dunked in the river. He claims he did not die. What happened to him?
(a) He was uglied away.
(b) He had the pretty stained on.
(c) He ate the holy lemon.
(d) He mussed on the spricket.
Short Answer Questions
1. What street does Hurston stay on when she arrives in town?
2. Whom does the brother outsmart in John French's story?
3. Why was the second slave beaten for cussing at the master in Joe Wiley's story?
4. Where does Hurston end up following the men to work in Chapter 4?
5. What was being stolen from the field in the story from Chapter 4?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)