|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the boss dock the workers' pay after the boiler explosion?
(a) The money burned in the fire.
(b) They were up in the air.
(c) The mill closed.
(d) They caused the explosion.
2. What do people hide behind at a "toe party"?
(a) A foot.
(b) A donkey.
(c) A curtain.
(d) A door.
3. Where were the drawers hanging when the second slave was beaten in Chapter 5?
(a) On the line.
(b) In the laundry machine.
(c) On the missus.
(d) On a tree branch.
4. What does "Big Moose done come down from de mountain" mean?
(a) Important things will happen.
(b) An earthquake is coming.
(c) Death is coming.
(d) Winter is here.
5. In Mathilda Mosley's story, woman asks God for ____________.
(a) A harp.
6. When does a "toe party" really start to get wild?
(a) At 9 p.m.
(b) After appetizers.
(c) When the band starts playing.
(d) When the people from Eatonville arrive.
7. In Chapter 3, who tells the first story?
8. In Chapter 4, what does Hurston claim that she does not want to do to the reader?
(a) Mislead them.
(b) Scare them.
(c) Make them laugh.
(d) Make them cry.
9. Why did John go to the field?
(a) He was lost.
(b) His student ran away.
(c) To tend to his crops.
(d) His master told him to go.
10. What does the younger brother at the end of the story in Chapter 2 do for a living?
(a) Plows fields.
(c) Rides in the rodeo.
11. What is Joe Wiley's story about in chapter 5?
(a) Two slaves.
(b) A farm.
(c) A hitchhiker.
(d) Two thieves.
12. In Chapter 2, what is the occupation of the older brother in the story?
13. What part of the animal did John grab a hold of in Chapter 4?
(a) The ear.
(b) The tail.
(c) The paw.
(d) The mane.
14. In what state does the author spend most of her time collecting stories?
15. What is the only part of the body women reveal at a "toe party"?
(a) A tongue.
(b) A foot.
(c) A toe.
(d) A finger.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hurston travel to town?
2. Another man in Chapter 4 tells a story about a man dipped in a river. What river was the man dipped in?
3. What are the men doing at the start of Chapter 6?
4. What is the fight that breaks out in Chapter 2 about?
5. Who is invited to a "toe party" in Chapter 1?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)