|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charlie say is the reason for why religions divide?
2. In Chapter 2, what topic do most of the stories cover?
3. What street does Hurston stay on when she arrives in town?
(a) Cycle Lane.
(b) Abbey Leaf Lane.
(c) Back Street.
(d) Front Street.
4. In Chapter 4, what was in the larger box in the tale of two boxes?
(a) A mirror.
(c) A dog.
(d) A tent.
5. What is the only part of the body women reveal at a "toe party"?
(a) A tongue.
(b) A finger.
(c) A foot.
(d) A toe.
6. What do the men hear in Chapter 6 on their way to the "jook joint"?
(b) An accident.
7. Why can't John let the animal he finds in the field go?
(a) He wants it as a pet.
(b) He wants to eat the animal.
(c) The animal will eat him.
(d) The animal will bring its friends.
8. Why did the man pull the sheet over his head every night in the story in Chapter 4?
(a) He was afraid of ghosts.
(b) His wife was ugly.
(c) He liked his house dark.
(d) To let sleep in.
9. What caused the Johnstown flood?
(a) Heavy rain.
(b) Poor government.
(c) Breaking barrels.
(d) Damaged levies.
10. What was being stolen from the field in the story from Chapter 4?
(d) Green beans.
11. Why does Hurston go to Pine Mill?
(a) To meet her mother.
(b) To work.
(c) To hear a story.
(d) For a dance.
12. In what city does Hurston stop in Chapter 4?
(b) Everglade City.
13. What story does Gold tell in Chapter 2?
(a) How the rhino got its horn.
(b) How the banker became greedy.
(c) How God created skin color.
(d) Why churches are tall.
14. In Chapter 4, the men tell stories about bosses. What are the bosses like?
15. What was in the smaller box in the tale of two boxes?
(a) A cake.
(b) A pen and paper.
(c) A hammer and nail.
(d) A wallet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were the drawers hanging when the second slave was beaten in Chapter 5?
2. Another man in Chapter 4 tells a story about a man dipped in a river. What river was the man dipped in?
3. In Chapter 4, who is John?
4. Why did the boss dock the workers' pay after the boiler explosion?
5. In Chapter 3, who ends the story by interrupting?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)