|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can't John let the animal he finds in the field go?
(a) The animal will eat him.
(b) The animal will bring its friends.
(c) He wants to eat the animal.
(d) He wants it as a pet.
2. What part of the animal did John grab a hold of in Chapter 4?
(a) The paw.
(b) The tail.
(c) The ear.
(d) The mane.
3. In Chapter 2, what is the occupation of the older brother in the story?
4. How long does Hurston plan on staying in town?
(a) Several months.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) A year.
(d) One month.
5. What are the men doing at the start of Chapter 6?
(a) Playing cards.
6. What does the younger brother at the end of the story in Chapter 2 do for a living?
(c) Plows fields.
(d) Rides in the rodeo.
7. What caused the Johnstown flood?
(a) Damaged levies.
(b) Heavy rain.
(c) Poor government.
(d) Breaking barrels.
8. How do young men get to dance at a "toe party"?
(a) They have a dance off.
(b) They pay.
(c) They sing.
(d) They fight.
9. What occasionally happens at a "toe party" when a man is disappointed with his partner?
(a) He runs.
(b) He screams.
(c) He kisses her.
(d) He slaps her.
10. In Chapter 4, the men tell stories about bosses. What are the bosses like?
11. How man people arrive at "Mets" house to tell stories the first night?
12. Why does Hurston want to go to a new location at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) Better neighborhoods.
(b) New stories.
(c) Her mother died.
13. Why does the person who died in the Johnstown flood say someone is rude?
(a) He doesn't listen to his story.
(b) She yelled at him.
(c) They didn't open the gates.
(d) They wouldn't send him back.
14. Who arrives in town at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) A travelling preacher.
(b) A bank robber.
(c) Hurston's husband.
(d) The mayor.
15. Why, in Chapter 4, is the men's workday canceled?
(a) It's a holiday.
(b) The foreman is ill.
(c) The snow.
(d) The rain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do people hide behind at a "toe party"?
2. What sign does Hurston see in Chapter 4 that intrigues her?
3. In what state does the author spend most of her time collecting stories?
4. Where does Hurston end up following the men to work in Chapter 4?
5. How to the men react to the new person in town at the end of Chapter 6?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)