|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does John trick into holding the animal in the field?
(a) A friend.
(b) His master.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A student.
2. What happened to the man in the story in Chapter 4 that was dipped in the river?
(a) "He played the yarn fiddle."
(b) He was "skimmed ugly for six months."
(c) He was "dunked like a skunk."
(d) "He swam with the fishes."
3. What does Hurston believe must occur before justice is reached?
(a) A sermon.
(b) A quota.
(c) A crime.
(d) A trial.
4. What does Hurston think of the local liquor served at the "toe party"?
(a) It is too weak.
(b) It is too strong.
(c) It tastes great.
(d) It tastes like water.
5. A man in Chapter 4 claims he knew a man like the one who was dunked in the river. He claims he did not die. What happened to him?
(a) He mussed on the spricket.
(b) He was uglied away.
(c) He had the pretty stained on.
(d) He ate the holy lemon.
6. In Chapter 2, what topic do most of the stories cover?
7. How does Mr. Pitts plan to demonstrate his feelings towards Hurston?
(a) He will cook his own breakfast.
(b) He will ignore her.
(c) He will wash her car.
(d) He will take her to Paris.
8. Who is the person that is traveling in this book?
(a) Mule boy.
9. Why was the first slave not punished for cussing out the master in Chapter 5?
(a) He did it in English.
(b) He didn't do it to his face.
(c) He did it in Spanish.
(d) He used proper grammar.
10. In what state does the author spend most of her time collecting stories?
11. What was in the smaller box in the tale of two boxes?
(a) A wallet.
(b) A hammer and nail.
(c) A cake.
(d) A pen and paper.
12. What do the men hear in Chapter 6 on their way to the "jook joint"?
(d) An accident.
13. Why can't John let the animal he finds in the field go?
(a) The animal will bring its friends.
(b) He wants it as a pet.
(c) The animal will eat him.
(d) He wants to eat the animal.
14. Why does Hurston go to Pine Mill?
(a) For a dance.
(b) To meet her mother.
(c) To hear a story.
(d) To work.
15. What sign does Hurston see in Chapter 4 that intrigues her?
(a) Everglades Cypress Lumber Company.
(b) Everglades Gator Tours.
(c) Jack Hammer Cypress Camps.
(d) Historic Folktale Museum.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does a "toe party" really start to get wild?
2. What is the fight that breaks out in Chapter 2 about?
3. Shug is short for _____________.
4. What city does the author cross into at the start of the book?
5. What does Charlie say is the reason for why religions divide?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)