|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does the brother outsmart in John French's story?
(a) His wife.
(b) His father.
(c) The devil.
(d) His brother.
2. In Chapter 2, what topic do most of the stories cover?
3. In Chapter 3, who tells the first story?
4. Why does Hurston travel to town?
(a) To raise her family.
(b) To hear folktales.
(c) To find a man.
(d) To find work.
5. In Chapter 4, the men tell stories about bosses. What are the bosses like?
6. In Chapter 4, what does Hurston claim that she does not want to do to the reader?
(a) Scare them.
(b) Make them laugh.
(c) Make them cry.
(d) Mislead them.
7. How to the men react to the new person in town at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) They question the person.
(b) Some watch, some leave.
(c) They all dance.
(d) They run away screaming.
8. What does a man tell Hurston some people are only good at doing to groceries?
9. What occasionally happens at a "toe party" when a man is disappointed with his partner?
(a) He screams.
(b) He runs.
(c) He kisses her.
(d) He slaps her.
10. Where were the drawers hanging when the second slave was beaten in Chapter 5?
(a) On the missus.
(b) In the laundry machine.
(c) On the line.
(d) On a tree branch.
11. Mr. Pitts teases Hurston in a ____________ voice.
12. Whom does John trick into holding the animal in the field?
(a) A friend.
(b) His master.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A student.
13. In Chapter 4, what was in the larger box in the tale of two boxes?
(a) A dog.
(c) A mirror.
(d) A tent.
14. When does a "toe party" really start to get wild?
(a) At 9 p.m.
(b) When the people from Eatonville arrive.
(c) After appetizers.
(d) When the band starts playing.
15. What street does Hurston stay on when she arrives in town?
(a) Cycle Lane.
(b) Abbey Leaf Lane.
(c) Front Street.
(d) Back Street.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, who ends the story by interrupting?
2. Why can't John let the animal he finds in the field go?
3. What does Hurston believe must occur before justice is reached?
4. How do young men get to dance at a "toe party"?
5. Whom does Hurston plan to stay with in town?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)