|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. John discovers _____________ stealing from the field.
(a) A bear.
(b) A dog.
(c) A lion.
(d) A cat.
2. What does Hurston claim the Sheriff will do to the woman who killed five men?
(a) Arrest her.
(b) Reward her.
(c) Scold her.
(d) Shoot her.
3. What are the men doing at the start of Chapter 6?
(c) Playing cards.
4. How to the men react to the new person in town at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) They all dance.
(b) They question the person.
(c) They run away screaming.
(d) Some watch, some leave.
5. In Chapter 4, how long does John stay with the animal?
(a) Two days.
(b) A week.
(c) All night.
(d) Three days.
6. Where does the person go after dying in the Johnstown flood?
7. Why was the second slave beaten for cussing at the master in Joe Wiley's story?
(a) He used incorrect grammar.
(b) He did it to his face.
(c) He hit the master.
(d) He did it in French.
8. Who is the first person to introduce himself to Hurston?
(a) Mr. Spock.
(b) Mr. Pitts.
(c) Mr. Piefer.
(d) Mr. Clean.
9. Why does Hurston want to go to a new location at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) Better neighborhoods.
(b) New stories.
(d) Her mother died.
10. In what state does the author spend most of her time collecting stories?
11. In Chapter 2, what topic do most of the stories cover?
12. What is James Mosely's story about?
(a) Three pigs.
(b) Two wolves.
(c) Eight angels.
(d) Two angels.
13. How many people are at the "toe party" when Hurston arrives?
(d) A hundred.
14. Why did the man in Chapter 2 know he was not meant to be a preacher?
(a) He ate two chickens instead of four.
(b) He did land on the other side of the log.
(c) He didn't hear his voice in the well.
(d) He slept through church.
15. Where does Hurston end up following the men to work in Chapter 4?
(a) The swamp.
(b) The beach.
(c) The mall.
(d) The mill.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Pitts plan to demonstrate his feelings towards Hurston?
2. What does a man tell Hurston some people are only good at doing to groceries?
3. Why did John go to the field?
4. What dong does Hurston sing at the Pine Mill?
5. Whom does John trick into holding the animal in the field?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)