|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people are at the "toe party" when Hurston arrives?
(d) A hundred.
2. What part of the animal did John grab a hold of in Chapter 4?
(a) The tail.
(b) The mane.
(c) The paw.
(d) The ear.
3. What is Joe Wiley's story about in chapter 5?
(a) A hitchhiker.
(b) A farm.
(c) Two slaves.
(d) Two thieves.
4. What does a man tell Hurston some people are only good at doing to groceries?
5. Who is the first person to introduce himself to Hurston?
(a) Mr. Pitts.
(b) Mr. Piefer.
(c) Mr. Clean.
(d) Mr. Spock.
6. What do the townspeople think about the author's choice of towns?
(a) They are indifferent.
(b) They think she came to the right place.
(c) They wish she would leave.
(d) They think Orlando would be better.
7. What street does Hurston stay on when she arrives in town?
(a) Front Street.
(b) Cycle Lane.
(c) Abbey Leaf Lane.
(d) Back Street.
8. What dong does Hurston sing at the Pine Mill?
(a) "Dear John."
(b) "John Henry."
(c) "James Smith."
(d) "Old Sam."
9. What occasionally happens at a "toe party" when a man is disappointed with his partner?
(a) He kisses her.
(b) He runs.
(c) He screams.
(d) He slaps her.
10. Whom does Hurston plan to stay with in town?
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her friend.
11. Why did John go to the field?
(a) To tend to his crops.
(b) His student ran away.
(c) He was lost.
(d) His master told him to go.
12. Who drowned in the Johnstown flood?
(a) A dog and a cat.
(b) A white woman.
(c) A black man.
(d) Three children.
13. What city does the author cross into at the start of the book?
14. What sign does Hurston see in Chapter 4 that intrigues her?
(a) Everglades Cypress Lumber Company.
(b) Everglades Gator Tours.
(c) Historic Folktale Museum.
(d) Jack Hammer Cypress Camps.
15. When does Hurston travel to Pine Mill?
(a) Every third Sunday.
(b) March 6th.
(c) When the mood strikes her.
(d) On payday.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the people at Pine Mill afraid of Hurston?
2. What is the fight that breaks out in Chapter 2 about?
3. Why does Hurston travel to town?
4. In Chapter 4, what was in the larger box in the tale of two boxes?
5. Where were the drawers hanging when the second slave was beaten in Chapter 5?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)