|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the person who died in the Johnstown flood say someone is rude?
(a) She yelled at him.
(b) They wouldn't send him back.
(c) He doesn't listen to his story.
(d) They didn't open the gates.
2. How long does Hurston plan on staying in town?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) One month.
(c) A year.
(d) Several months.
3. Who raced to two packages in Chapter 4?
(a) A black man and a white man.
(b) Two children.
(c) Two women.
(d) A child.
4. What caused the Johnstown flood?
(a) Heavy rain.
(b) Breaking barrels.
(c) Damaged levies.
(d) Poor government.
5. What county does Hurston travel toward in Chapter 4?
6. Why did the boss dock the workers' pay after the boiler explosion?
(a) The money burned in the fire.
(b) They were up in the air.
(c) The mill closed.
(d) They caused the explosion.
7. What is Joe Wiley's story about in chapter 5?
(a) A farm.
(b) A hitchhiker.
(c) Two slaves.
(d) Two thieves.
8. Who is the rude person that the person who died in Johnstown flood encounters?
9. How does Mr. Pitts plan to demonstrate his feelings towards Hurston?
(a) He will wash her car.
(b) He will take her to Paris.
(c) He will ignore her.
(d) He will cook his own breakfast.
10. How long does the "toe party" last?
(a) Two hours.
(b) Several hours.
(c) Till 5 a.m.
(d) Till the cops arrive.
11. How many times is Hurston "sold" at the "toe party"?
(a) Five times.
(b) One time.
(d) Ten times.
12. What does "Big Moose done come down from de mountain" mean?
(a) Winter is here.
(b) Important things will happen.
(c) Death is coming.
(d) An earthquake is coming.
13. In Chapter 4, who is John?
(a) A master.
(b) A slave.
(c) A banker.
(d) A teacher.
14. What was being stolen from the field in the story from Chapter 4?
(d) Green beans.
15. What story does Gold tell in Chapter 2?
(a) How the rhino got its horn.
(b) How the banker became greedy.
(c) Why churches are tall.
(d) How God created skin color.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hurston want to go to a new location at the end of Chapter 3?
2. Why did John go to the field?
3. What is the fight that breaks out in Chapter 2 about?
4. What happens when Hurston arrives at Pine Mill?
5. In Chapter 2, what topic do most of the stories cover?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)