|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How man people arrive at "Mets" house to tell stories the first night?
2. Where does Hurston end up following the men to work in Chapter 4?
(a) The swamp.
(b) The mall.
(c) The beach.
(d) The mill.
3. In Chapter 4, what was in the larger box in the tale of two boxes?
(a) A dog.
(b) A tent.
(d) A mirror.
4. Whom does the deceased person speak to after dying in the Johnstown flood?
(b) St. Peter.
5. In Mathilda Mosley's story, woman asks God for ____________.
(c) A harp.
6. In Chapter 4, the men tell stories about bosses. What are the bosses like?
7. What story does Mathilda Mosley tell in Chapter 2?
(a) How lawyers speak to satan.
(b) How men take advantage of women.
(c) How zebras got their stripes.
(d) How women take advantage of men.
8. How do the men react to their partners at a "toe party"?
(a) Everyone is happy.
(b) Men never see their partners, only their knees.
(c) No one is happy.
(d) Some are disappointed.
9. Whom does John trick into holding the animal in the field?
(a) His master.
(b) A student.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A friend.
10. In Chapter 4, how long does John stay with the animal?
(a) Two days.
(b) A week.
(c) Three days.
(d) All night.
11. What does Hurston believe must occur before justice is reached?
(a) A trial.
(b) A quota.
(c) A sermon.
(d) A crime.
12. What street does Hurston stay on when she arrives in town?
(a) Back Street.
(b) Cycle Lane.
(c) Abbey Leaf Lane.
(d) Front Street.
13. What do people hide behind at a "toe party"?
(a) A foot.
(b) A door.
(c) A curtain.
(d) A donkey.
14. What county does Hurston travel toward in Chapter 4?
15. How does Hurston become accepted by people in Chapter 4?
(a) Gives them a ride in her car.
(b) Sells them some gin.
(c) Preaches to them.
(d) Tells them she is a bootlegger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a man tell Hurston some people are only good at doing to groceries?
2. Another man in Chapter 4 tells a story about a man dipped in a river. What river was the man dipped in?
3. A man in Chapter 4 claims he knew a man like the one who was dunked in the river. He claims he did not die. What happened to him?
4. Who is invited to a "toe party" in Chapter 1?
5. Why does Hurston want to go to a new location at the end of Chapter 3?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)