|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to the man in the story in Chapter 4 that was dipped in the river?
(a) He was "dunked like a skunk."
(b) He was "skimmed ugly for six months."
(c) "He played the yarn fiddle."
(d) "He swam with the fishes."
2. What is James Mosely's story about?
(a) Two angels.
(b) Two wolves.
(c) Three pigs.
(d) Eight angels.
3. Where were the drawers hanging when the second slave was beaten in Chapter 5?
(a) In the laundry machine.
(b) On the line.
(c) On a tree branch.
(d) On the missus.
4. Why does Hurston go to Pine Mill?
(a) To hear a story.
(b) To work.
(c) To meet her mother.
(d) For a dance.
5. What caused the Johnstown flood?
(a) Heavy rain.
(b) Breaking barrels.
(c) Damaged levies.
(d) Poor government.
6. In what state does the author spend most of her time collecting stories?
7. What do the men hear in Chapter 6 on their way to the "jook joint"?
(c) An accident.
8. In Chapter 5, why did the first slave avoid a beating for looking up the drawers?
(a) They were hanging on a tree.
(b) They were on the line.
(c) They were on the missus.
(d) They were in the laundry room.
9. What story does Mathilda Mosley tell in Chapter 2?
(a) How men take advantage of women.
(b) How zebras got their stripes.
(c) How lawyers speak to satan.
(d) How women take advantage of men.
10. What does "Big Moose done come down from de mountain" mean?
(a) Winter is here.
(b) Death is coming.
(c) An earthquake is coming.
(d) Important things will happen.
11. Another man in Chapter 4 tells a story about a man dipped in a river. What river was the man dipped in?
(a) Salty River.
(b) Erie River.
(c) Hudson River.
(d) Mississippi River.
12. When does Hurston travel to Pine Mill?
(a) March 6th.
(b) On payday.
(c) Every third Sunday.
(d) When the mood strikes her.
13. What part of the animal did John grab a hold of in Chapter 4?
(a) The ear.
(b) The tail.
(c) The mane.
(d) The paw.
14. What street does Hurston stay on when she arrives in town?
(a) Abbey Leaf Lane.
(b) Front Street.
(c) Cycle Lane.
(d) Back Street.
15. John discovers _____________ stealing from the field.
(a) A bear.
(b) A cat.
(c) A dog.
(d) A lion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Babe Hill?
2. A man in Chapter 4 claims he knew a man like the one who was dunked in the river. He claims he did not die. What happened to him?
3. In Chapter 4, what does Hurston initially think of the people in the city where she stops?
4. Why can't John let the animal he finds in the field go?
5. What sign does Hurston see in Chapter 4 that intrigues her?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)