|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Daisy do for Dave Carter the day before the trial?
2. How does Jim Weston react when Daisy puts her hand on his arm to comfort him?
3. What does Daisy do after Jim Weston decides that he would rather have his freedom than marry her?
4. What problem do the Methodists have with the sermon that Reverend Childers preached on the day before the trial?
5. What order does Joe Clarke give to the people at the trial before they leave the church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the authors' treatment of women in the play. What roles do the women play, and what stereotypes do they fall into? How do the characters perpetuate traditional gender roles and stereotypes? Be sure to use evidence from the text to support your point.
Essay Topic 2
Because of the falling out between the authors, "Mule Bone" is actually an unfinished play. Review the play and critique it. What changes would you suggest to improve upon the current version? Look at the notes about name changes as well. What versions of names would you use? How would you change or enhance some scenes? Be sure to refer to specific sections and examples as you discuss the play.
Essay Topic 3
Hughes and Hurston wrote "Mule Bone" as a homage to the use of humor in overcoming adversity. Oppressed cultures often rely on humor as a means of survival, and among Southern post-slavery African-Americans, humor and sarcasm were a means of attacking others and of expressing affection. Describe how this concept emerges in "Mule Bone." In what ways does humor strengthen bonds, and in what ways is it used to attack others? Provide specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)