|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sister Taylor defend herself when Joe Lindsay chastises her for arguing in church?
2. According to Reverend Childers, why is an ass bone close to a mule bone?
3. How do the women react when Lum Boger comes back to quiet them?
4. Who receives the applause from the Methodist side of the church?
5. What evidence does Dave Carter present to prove that he is as clean as everybody else?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Because of the falling out between the authors, "Mule Bone" is actually an unfinished play. Review the play and critique it. What changes would you suggest to improve upon the current version? Look at the notes about name changes as well. What versions of names would you use? How would you change or enhance some scenes? Be sure to refer to specific sections and examples as you discuss the play.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes of "Mule Bone" is the criticism of religious intolerance. Using the authors' perspective, capture their points of view in an essay. Use specific examples that would mirror the types of complaints that Hughes and Hurston present in "Mule Bone."
Essay Topic 3
Ironically, the disagreement between Dave and Jim in some ways mirrors the falling out between the authors. While Dave and Jim fight over a girl, Hughes and Hurston fought over the play itself. Compare and contrast the disagreements between these two pairs. What do these details reveal about the friendships? You may use the essays included in the Harper Perennial edition to help with this topic.
This section contains 1,400 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)