|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What argument does Deacon Simms use to defend Jim Weston?
2. Deacon Simms accuses Dave Carter of what?
3. How does Jim Weston respond to the Baptists' actions when he enters the church?
4. Where does Daisy suggest she and Jim Weston live after they get married?
5. Why does Joe Clarke get frustrated with Lum Boger?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the play, adults behave like children, and children mirror the behavior of the adults. Explain how this circle of immature behavior creates a dysfunctional community. Provide examples from the text to support your points.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the conflict between the Methodists and the Baptists. How much of their conflict is rooted in religious doctrine, and how much is rooted in individual, personal bias? What do their complaints about each other reveal about the people in the community? What does their behavior reveal about their understanding of ethics, morality and values? Provide examples from the text to help support your points.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Jim's and Dave's reactions to the turmoil created in the town by their fight. How would they prefer to solve their disagreement? Why are they not allowed to deal with the conflict on their own? Provide examples from the text to support your observations.
This section contains 1,404 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)