|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Daisy suggest Jim Weston can do for a living after they get married?
2. Sister Lewis chastises Brother Nixon for what offense?
3. When did Jim Weston tell Daisy that he could kiss her every day ("as regular as pig-tracks")?
4. How does Lum Boger respond to the women's reactions when he comes back to quiet them?
5. What is Dave Carter wearing when he enters the church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many different characters express their opinions regarding the responsibility that Daisy bears in the fight between Jim and Dave, and their opinions are wide-ranging. Characterize Daisy. Is she an innocent bystander or a manipulative tease? Provide evidence from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Ironically, the disagreement between Dave and Jim in some ways mirrors the falling out between the authors. While Dave and Jim fight over a girl, Hughes and Hurston fought over the play itself. Compare and contrast the disagreements between these two pairs. What do these details reveal about the friendships? You may use the essays included in the Harper Perennial edition to help with this topic.
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes of "Mule Bone" is the criticism of religious intolerance. Using the authors' perspective, capture their points of view in an essay. Use specific examples that would mirror the types of complaints that Hughes and Hurston present in "Mule Bone."
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)