|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Daisy refuse both Jim Weston and Dave Carter?
2. How do Jim Weston and Dave Carter express their love for Daisy?
3. What does everyone believe has happened when the church bell begins to toll?
4. What does Dave Carter say he got enough of on Saturday night (the night of the fight)?
5. What does Daisy threaten to do when both Jim Weston and Dave Carter try to hug her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the use of tall tales in "Mule Bone." Why are tall tales used in the play and how are they received by other characters? What are the circumstances around the telling of a tall tale? What role does the tall tale seem to play? Be sure to use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
From beginning to end, Act 3 is much more about Jim's and Dave's relationship than it is about Daisy's relationship with either of the men. Prove this observation by providing and analyzing evidence that reflects the importance of their relationship to the scene.
Essay Topic 3
Ironically, the disagreement between Dave and Jim in some ways mirrors the falling out between the authors. While Dave and Jim fight over a girl, Hughes and Hurston fought over the play itself. Compare and contrast the disagreements between these two pairs. What do these details reveal about the friendships? You may use the essays included in the Harper Perennial edition to help with this topic.
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)