|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jim Weston respond to the Baptists' actions when he enters the church?
2. How many people are in the church at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
3. Why does Dave Carter insist that no one in town has any right to determine Jim Weston's punishment?
4. Who else did Daisy visit on the same day that she visited Dave Carter?
5. How is Jim Weston escorted out of town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the struggle between Joe Clarke and Deacon Simms. What seems to be at the root of their animosity toward each other? How does each use the trial as an excuse to gain power over the other? Provide examples from the text to support your points.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the conflict between the Methodists and the Baptists. How much of their conflict is rooted in religious doctrine, and how much is rooted in individual, personal bias? What do their complaints about each other reveal about the people in the community? What does their behavior reveal about their understanding of ethics, morality and values? Provide examples from the text to help support your points.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how an argument between two men over a girl becomes a community-wide battle over religion. Trace the evolution of the argument, and explain how the conflict evolves. Use specific examples to support your observations.
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)