|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jim Weston take with him as he leaves town?
2. What problem do the Methodists have with the sermon that Reverend Childers preached on the day before the trial?
3. How many people are in the church at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
4. What accusation do the Methodists hurl at Dave Carter when he enters the church?
5. What does everyone believe has happened when the church bell begins to toll?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Jim's and Dave's reactions to the turmoil created in the town by their fight. How would they prefer to solve their disagreement? Why are they not allowed to deal with the conflict on their own? Provide examples from the text to support your observations.
Essay Topic 2
From beginning to end, Act 3 is much more about Jim's and Dave's relationship than it is about Daisy's relationship with either of the men. Prove this observation by providing and analyzing evidence that reflects the importance of their relationship to the scene.
Essay Topic 3
Hughes and Hurston use a Southern dialect in the dialogue of the play in order to bring authenticity to the characters. Some of their contemporaries opposed this use of dialect, complaining that the characters are made to seem uneducated and simple. Even today, academics debate the use of dialect in this and other literary works. Defend or attack the authors' use of dialect in the play. Does dialect make the characters realistic, or is it demeaning to African-Americans from the South? Provide examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)