|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will Jim Weston do to support himself and Daisy?
2. Deacon Simms accuses Dave Carter of what?
3. How does Daisy respond when Dave Carter and Jim Weston both choose their music over a life with her?
4. What evidence does Sister Taylor provide to prove that her husband is good to her?
5. How does Jim Weston react when a person from the mob throws something at him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the conflict between the Methodists and the Baptists. How much of their conflict is rooted in religious doctrine, and how much is rooted in individual, personal bias? What do their complaints about each other reveal about the people in the community? What does their behavior reveal about their understanding of ethics, morality and values? Provide examples from the text to help support your points.
Essay Topic 2
Aside from the satire and the description of small-town life, "Mule Bone" is also a play about the strength of a friendship. Analyze the strength of Jim's and Dave's friendship. What challenges does their friendship survive, and what allows their friendship to survive these challenges? Provide evidence from the text to support your observations.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the authors' treatment of women in the play. What roles do the women play, and what stereotypes do they fall into? How do the characters perpetuate traditional gender roles and stereotypes? Be sure to use evidence from the text to support your point.
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)