|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sister Lewis chastises Brother Nixon for what offense?
2. What are Jim Weston and Dave Carter doing as the curtain falls?
3. What is the setting of Act 2, Scene 2?
4. Who defends herself by saying that everyone's house has some bedbugs and lice?
5. How is Jim Weston escorted out of town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the authors' treatment of women in the play. What roles do the women play, and what stereotypes do they fall into? How do the characters perpetuate traditional gender roles and stereotypes? Be sure to use evidence from the text to support your point.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the use of tall tales in "Mule Bone." Why are tall tales used in the play and how are they received by other characters? What are the circumstances around the telling of a tall tale? What role does the tall tale seem to play? Be sure to use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the struggle between Joe Clarke and Deacon Simms. What seems to be at the root of their animosity toward each other? How does each use the trial as an excuse to gain power over the other? Provide examples from the text to support your points.
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)