|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jim Weston's sentence for his crime?
2. What argument does Deacon Simms use to defend Jim Weston?
3. According to Lige Mosely, why should a Baptist be afraid to go swimming?
4. How much time would Dave Carter do on a chain gang in order to prove his love for Daisy?
5. What does Dave Carter say he got enough of on Saturday night (the night of the fight)?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the importance of satire in the play. Where do the authors include satire, and what aspects of society are they criticizing? How effective are their attempts at satire? Provide examples from the text to support your point.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the play, adults behave like children, and children mirror the behavior of the adults. Explain how this circle of immature behavior creates a dysfunctional community. Provide examples from the text to support your points.
Essay Topic 3
Because of the falling out between the authors, "Mule Bone" is actually an unfinished play. Review the play and critique it. What changes would you suggest to improve upon the current version? Look at the notes about name changes as well. What versions of names would you use? How would you change or enhance some scenes? Be sure to refer to specific sections and examples as you discuss the play.
This section contains 1,400 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)