|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what errand does Joe Clarke send Lum Boger?
2. How does Daisy respond to the question of whether she prefers Jim Weston or Dave Carter?
3. According to Sister Taylor, how ugly is Deacon Lindsay?
4. Why is Joe Clarke so passionate about the town?
5. What time is Jim Weston's trial scheduled to begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence throughout Act 2, Scene 2, suggests that Joe Clarke is unfamiliar with court procedures?
2. Describe Joe Clarke's treatment of Lum Boger.
3. What do the other characters think of Mrs. Roberts?
4. How do the men of the town suggest that Mrs. Roberts be dealt with?
5. Describe Elder Simms' attitude toward the people of the town.
6. How do the Methodists and Baptists continue their argument into Act 3?
7. About what do the men on the porch tease Teets and Bootsie? How do the girls respond?
8. Why do both Jim and Dave resent the townspeople's interference in their argument?
9. What evidence suggests that Joe Clarke will not be an impartial judge in Jim's trial?
10. What outcome does Deacon Simms expect from the trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Because of the falling out between the authors, "Mule Bone" is actually an unfinished play. Review the play and critique it. What changes would you suggest to improve upon the current version? Look at the notes about name changes as well. What versions of names would you use? How would you change or enhance some scenes? Be sure to refer to specific sections and examples as you discuss the play.
Essay Topic 2
Aside from the satire and the description of small-town life, "Mule Bone" is also a play about the strength of a friendship. Analyze the strength of Jim's and Dave's friendship. What challenges does their friendship survive, and what allows their friendship to survive these challenges? Provide evidence from the text to support your observations.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the struggle between Joe Clarke and Deacon Simms. What seems to be at the root of their animosity toward each other? How does each use the trial as an excuse to gain power over the other? Provide examples from the text to support your points.
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)