|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the notice of Jim Weston's trial displayed?
2. What does Sister Thomas think of Mrs. Blunt's reaction to the trial and the associated gossip?
3. From which mule did the bone originally come?
4. Why does Daisy return to the store in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. What assurance does Deacon Simms give Sisters Taylor and Thomas?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the women's attitudes toward Daisy differ from the men's?
2. Why does Hambo bring out the checkerboard?
3. Why are the men all interested in the hock bone that Joe Lindsay brings to the store?
4. How do the men of the town suggest that Mrs. Roberts be dealt with?
5. How does Jim react to meeting Daisy as she is on her way back to town?
6. What do the women think about Daisy's mother's reaction to the trial?
7. Describe the interaction between Sister Taylor and the children.
8. Why does Jim come to the conclusion that Dave was on his way to visit Daisy?
9. How do Jim's and Dave's attitudes toward Daisy change at the end of Act 3?
10. What excuse does Dave offer to prove that he is not on his way to visit Daisy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Jim's and Dave's reactions to the turmoil created in the town by their fight. How would they prefer to solve their disagreement? Why are they not allowed to deal with the conflict on their own? Provide examples from the text to support your observations.
Essay Topic 2
Hughes and Hurston use a Southern dialect in the dialogue of the play in order to bring authenticity to the characters. Some of their contemporaries opposed this use of dialect, complaining that the characters are made to seem uneducated and simple. Even today, academics debate the use of dialect in this and other literary works. Defend or attack the authors' use of dialect in the play. Does dialect make the characters realistic, or is it demeaning to African-Americans from the South? Provide examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the authors' treatment of women in the play. What roles do the women play, and what stereotypes do they fall into? How do the characters perpetuate traditional gender roles and stereotypes? Be sure to use evidence from the text to support your point.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)