Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color shirt is Dave Carter wearing?
2. Why does Jim Weston get angry with Dave Carter in Act 1, Scene 1?
3. How do the men at the store react to the arrival of Teets Miller and Bootsie Pitts?
4. According to Sister Taylor, how ugly is Deacon Lindsay?
5. According to Deacon Simms, why does the town need a jail?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the women think about Daisy's mother's reaction to the trial?
2. Why is Lum Boger unable to testify about the fight between Dave and Jim?
3. What evidence in Act 3 suggests that Dave and Jim still have a strong bond?
4. Describe Daisy's reaction to the accusation that she has come between Dave and Jim.
5. In Act III, why does Daisy threaten to leave after Dave arrives at the train tracks?
6. What does the description of the Baptist church details suggest about the congregation?
7. What request does Mrs. Blunt make concerning the trial? How is her request received by Joe Clarke?
8. Why do both Jim and Dave resent the townspeople's interference in their argument?
9. How do the different congregations react when the participants of the trial enter?
10. How does Mrs. Thomas' show herself to be hypocrite with her response to Mrs. Blunt's request?
Describe the conflict between the Methodists and the Baptists. How much of their conflict is rooted in religious doctrine, and how much is rooted in individual, personal bias? What do their complaints about each other reveal about the people in the community? What does their behavior reveal about their understanding of ethics, morality and values? Provide examples from the text to help support your points.
Analyze the use of tall tales in "Mule Bone." Why are tall tales used in the play and how are they received by other characters? What are the circumstances around the telling of a tall tale? What role does the tall tale seem to play? Be sure to use specific examples from the text.
Throughout the play, adults behave like children, and children mirror the behavior of the adults. Explain how this circle of immature behavior creates a dysfunctional community. Provide examples from the text to support your points.
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)