|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Joe Clarke and Deacon Simms doing when Jim Weston and Dave Carter arrive at the store?
2. How does Joe Clarke defend himself against Sisters Taylor and Thomas when he arrives at the trial?
3. Of what, in addition to assault, does Joe Clarke suggest that Jim Weston is guilty?
4. Why does Dave Carter strike back at Jim Weston?
5. How do the children react to Sister Taylor's reprimands?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comments do Sisters Taylor and Thomas have about Joe Clarke when he approaches them on his way to the trial?
2. How do Jim and Dave react to the squabbling among the people at the trial?
3. Why is Deacon Simms headed the wrong way when Sisters Taylor and Thomas see him?
4. What request does Mrs. Blunt make concerning the trial? How is her request received by Joe Clarke?
5. Why do both Jim and Dave resent the townspeople's interference in their argument?
6. Why does Daisy refuse to follow Jim and wander on without direction in Act 3?
7. Why does Hambo bring out the checkerboard?
8. What evidence suggests that Joe Clarke will not be an impartial judge in Jim's trial?
9. How do the men of the town suggest that Mrs. Roberts be dealt with?
10. What excuse does Dave offer to prove that he is not on his way to visit Daisy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the importance of satire in the play. Where do the authors include satire, and what aspects of society are they criticizing? How effective are their attempts at satire? Provide examples from the text to support your point.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the struggle between Joe Clarke and Deacon Simms. What seems to be at the root of their animosity toward each other? How does each use the trial as an excuse to gain power over the other? Provide examples from the text to support your points.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the play, adults behave like children, and children mirror the behavior of the adults. Explain how this circle of immature behavior creates a dysfunctional community. Provide examples from the text to support your points.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)