|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joe Lindsay bring the mule bone to the store?
2. What does Sister Taylor say she would do with Daisy if she were her mother?
3. How do the men at the store react to Daisy's arrival?
4. How does Joe Clarke respond to Deacon Simms' suggestion about the jail?
5. What explanation does Deacon Lindsay give to explain why he doesn't want to talk to Sister Taylor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Joe Clarke's treatment of Lum Boger.
2. What do the other characters think of Mrs. Roberts?
3. Describe the men's reaction to Deacon Simms' arrival.
4. How do the different congregations react when the participants of the trial enter?
5. What does Sister Taylor mean when she says that "De bear is walkin' de earth lak a natural man"?
6. What complaint does Walter make about Baptist theology?
7. What outcome does Deacon Simms expect from the trial?
8. What evidence in Act 3 suggests that Dave and Jim still have a strong bond?
9. What does Sister Thomas keep saying she needs to do throughout Act 2, Scene 1? Why does it take so long for her to finally do it?
10. How does Jim respond to the part of the crowd that throws him out of town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the importance of satire in the play. Where do the authors include satire, and what aspects of society are they criticizing? How effective are their attempts at satire? Provide examples from the text to support your point.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the use of tall tales in "Mule Bone." Why are tall tales used in the play and how are they received by other characters? What are the circumstances around the telling of a tall tale? What role does the tall tale seem to play? Be sure to use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the play, adults behave like children, and children mirror the behavior of the adults. Explain how this circle of immature behavior creates a dysfunctional community. Provide examples from the text to support your points.
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)