|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Baptists respond to Jim Weston entering the church?
(a) They taunt him with chicken and rooster calls.
(b) They cheer him and shout words of encouragement.
(c) In unison, they all turn their backs on him.
(d) The whisper about him as he walks up the aisle.
2. Why is the church bell rung?
(a) Hambo rings the bell as a way of ushering Jim Weston out of town.
(b) Deacon Simms rings the bell to draw attention to his client's case.
(c) It was an accident; someone fell and grabbed the rope.
(d) Lum Boger rings the bell to signal the beginning of the trial.
3. How does Deacon Simms suggest that they end the trial?
(a) He says they should sing, dismiss, and all return to work.
(b) He says Jim Weston should be compensated for his mistreatment.
(c) He says Joe Clarke should be run out of town, and he himself should be mayor.
(d) He says everyone should apologize to Jim Weston and set him free.
4. What Bible does Reverend Childers end up using?
(a) He uses the church Bible from the pulpit.
(b) Joe Clarke forces Deacon Simms to share his Bible.
(c) He returns to his home to get his own Bible.
(d) One of the Baptists in the crowd shares his Bible with him.
5. What does Sister Pitt suggest they must do before the trial begins?
(a) Sing a hymn.
(b) Start with a prayer.
(c) Call a formal list of witnesses.
(d) Read the charges.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Daisy respond to Jim's anger over her visit with Dave Carter?
2. According to Reverend Childers, why is an ass bone close to a mule bone?
3. What problem do the Methodists have with the sermon that Reverend Childers preached on the day before the trial?
4. According to Jim Weston, what kind of man does Daisy need?
5. How is Jim Weston escorted out of town?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)