|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hambo accuses Deacon Simms of telling what lie?
(a) That Dave Carter stepped on Jim Weston's foot on purpose, but it was an accident.
(b) That Joe Clarke sells stale bread, and Hambo defends him.
(c) That Dave Carter has another girlfriend in another town, but it is untrue.
(d) That Jim Weston's father was run out of town, but he was lynched by white people.
2. What are Jim Weston and Dave Carter doing as the curtain falls?
(a) They are walking arm in arm on their way back into town.
(b) Jim Weston is playing his guitar, and Dave Carter is singing and dancing alongside.
(c) Jim Weston begins by humming a tune, and Dave Carter begins to sing the lyrics.
(d) Jim Weston is humming a tune, and Dave Carter is whistling the same tune.
3. What did Daisy do for Dave Carter the day before the trial?
(a) Daisy brought him some fresh strawberries.
(b) Daisy washed and ironed his clothes for him.
(c) Daisy made him a lunch plate.
(d) Daisy rubbed his head for him.
4. What does everyone believe has happened when the church bell begins to toll?
(a) Everyone thinks that Dave Carter has died from his injuries.
(b) Everone believes that Jim Weston has been cleared of the charges.
(c) Everyone believes that Jim Weston has been convicted and sentenced.
(d) Everyone believes that the trial is about to begin.
5. Why does Deacon Simms refuse to allow Reverend Childers to use his Bible?
(a) Reverend Childers is a Baptist and cannot read anyway.
(b) Deacon Simms' children gave the Bible to him, so it's special.
(c) He is afraid that Reverend Childers will soil his pages.
(d) He says any good preacher would have brought his own Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which would Daisy rather be, a lark flying or a dove setting?
2. What argument does Deacon Simms use to defend Jim Weston?
3. How does Joe Clarke try to quiet the crowd when he enters the church?
4. How is Jim Weston escorted out of town?
5. How does Lum Boger respond to the women's reactions when he comes back to quiet them?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)