|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Reverend Childers present as evidence against Jim Weston in the trial?
(a) He uses the testimony of witnesses to prove that the beating was violent.
(b) He uses Jim Weston's own confession against him.
(c) He presents the biblical story of Sampson and the Philistines.
(d) He cites the rumor that Jim Weston has been stealing chickens.
2. Why does Daisy refuse both Jim Weston and Dave Carter?
(a) She is tired of seeing the friends fighting, so she decides to leave them alone.
(b) She never really wanted either of them; she was just playing a game.
(c) She will not marry a man who does not want to work and earn a living.
(d) She has found another man in Maitland who can take care of her better.
3. Why is the church bell rung?
(a) Lum Boger rings the bell to signal the beginning of the trial.
(b) It was an accident; someone fell and grabbed the rope.
(c) Hambo rings the bell as a way of ushering Jim Weston out of town.
(d) Deacon Simms rings the bell to draw attention to his client's case.
4. Sister Lewis chastises Brother Nixon for what offense?
(a) He let his cow get into her strawberry patch.
(b) He was talking during the trial, and she could not hear.
(c) He hangs his coat on one of the church's empty lamp brackets.
(d) He stepped over her without asking her pardon.
5. What does Jim Weston pour out of his shoe?
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Jim Weston escorted out of town?
2. Which would Daisy rather be, a lark flying or a dove setting?
3. What accusation do the Methodists hurl at Dave Carter when he enters the church?
4. What does Daisy do after Jim Weston decides that he would rather have his freedom than marry her?
5. How does Jim Weston react when Daisy puts her hand on his arm to comfort him?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)