|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What order does Joe Clarke give to the people at the trial before they leave the church?
(a) He orders them to leave their neighbors alone and mind their own business.
(b) He orders them to disperse quietly and return to their homes.
(c) He orders them to help Lum Boger escort Jim Weston out of town.
(d) He orders them to leave church grounds before they begin to fight.
2. How does Sister Taylor defend herself when Joe Lindsay chastises her for arguing in church?
(a) She says she is not the only one who is talking.
(b) She criticizes him for beating his wife.
(c) She says he has no right to tell her what to do.
(d) She criticizes him for not feeding his horse.
3. Hambo accuses Deacon Simms of telling what lie?
(a) That Dave Carter stepped on Jim Weston's foot on purpose, but it was an accident.
(b) That Jim Weston's father was run out of town, but he was lynched by white people.
(c) That Joe Clarke sells stale bread, and Hambo defends him.
(d) That Dave Carter has another girlfriend in another town, but it is untrue.
4. Which would Daisy rather be, a lark flying or a dove setting?
(a) Daisy does not want to be a bird.
(b) A lark.
(c) A dove.
(d) Daisy would rather be a dove flying.
5. Where does Daisy suggest she and Jim Weston live after they get married?
(a) It does not matter.
(b) In town, with her mother.
(c) In another state.
(d) In Maitland, at her employer's farm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Daisy do after Jim Weston decides that he would rather have his freedom than marry her?
2. What is missing when Joe Clarke tries to begin the trial?
3. How does Daisy respond to Jim's anger over her visit with Dave Carter?
4. Why is Daisy in a hurry when Jim Weston runs into her?
5. Why does Daisy refuse both Jim Weston and Dave Carter?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)