|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sister Taylor defend herself when Joe Lindsay chastises her for arguing in church?
(a) She criticizes him for not feeding his horse.
(b) She criticizes him for beating his wife.
(c) She says he has no right to tell her what to do.
(d) She says she is not the only one who is talking.
2. Hambo accuses Deacon Simms of telling what lie?
(a) That Joe Clarke sells stale bread, and Hambo defends him.
(b) That Dave Carter has another girlfriend in another town, but it is untrue.
(c) That Dave Carter stepped on Jim Weston's foot on purpose, but it was an accident.
(d) That Jim Weston's father was run out of town, but he was lynched by white people.
3. Why does Deacon Simms refuse to allow Reverend Childers to use his Bible?
(a) He is afraid that Reverend Childers will soil his pages.
(b) He says any good preacher would have brought his own Bible.
(c) Deacon Simms' children gave the Bible to him, so it's special.
(d) Reverend Childers is a Baptist and cannot read anyway.
4. How does Jim Weston respond to the Baptists' actions when he enters the church?
(a) He hangs his head and refuses to make eye contact with anyone.
(b) He tries to run out of the church and escape.
(c) He threatens them with physical harm if they bother him.
(d) He jumps over a church bench and punches one of them.
5. What reason is given to support the idea of the Baptist minister leading the prayer before trial?
(a) The trial is in his church, so he should say the prayer.
(b) Joe Clarke is a Baptist, and he is acting as the judge.
(c) The Baptist minister has more formal education.
(d) The Baptists say better prayers that the Methodists.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dave Carter suggest that Jim Weston should go at the end of Act 3?
2. How does Joe Clarke respond to Mrs. Nixon's accusation that he mistreats his wife and sells rancid bacon?
3. What does Sister Taylor suggest that Sister Lewis should do for her daughter?
4. Why does Joe Clarke get frustrated with Lum Boger?
5. How does Joe Clarke try to quiet the crowd when he enters the church?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)