|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time is Jim Weston's trial scheduled to begin?
(a) Seven o'clock.
(c) Three o'clock.
(d) Four o'clock.
2. Which of the following best describes the exchange between Sister Taylor and Deacon Lindsay?
(a) Their exchange leads to improved relations between both sides.
(b) They say little, but they exchange vicious glances.
(c) They playfully tease each other.
(d) They criticize each other and threaten to fight.
3. According to Deacon Simms, what kind of day is it in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) It is a chilly day.
(b) It is a hot day.
(c) It is a cloudy day.
(d) It is a windy day.
4. What complaint does Joe Clarke make about Lum Boger?
(a) He says he is disrespectful.
(b) He says he is "dumb as a stump."
(c) He says he walks too slowly.
(d) He says he is lazy.
5. What does Dave Carter do while Jim Weston plays music?
(a) He dances, eventually dancing with Daisy.
(b) He goes into the store to shop.
(c) He joins in by singing.
(d) He wanders off to play poker.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Sister Taylor, what will ruin a person's eyesight?
2. What information does Sister Taylor share with Lum Boger in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. When will Jim Weston's trial begin?
4. How do the men at the store react to the arrival of Teets Miller and Bootsie Pitts?
5. Why does Joe Lindsay bring the mule bone to the store?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sister Taylor struggle to read the sign posted on the tree?
2. Describe the relationship between Joe Clarke and his wife.
3. Why does Jim come to the conclusion that Dave was on his way to visit Daisy?
4. According to Sister Thomas, why is Joe Clarke siding with the Baptists in the fight over Jim's trial?
5. Describe Elder Simms' attitude toward the people of the town.
6. What evidence throughout Act 2, Scene 2, suggests that Joe Clarke is unfamiliar with court procedures?
7. Describe the disagreement between Joe Clarke and Deacon Simms.
8. Compare the fight among the children to the fight between Sister Taylor and Joe Lindsay.
9. How do Jim and Dave react to the squabbling among the people at the trial?
10. What kind of relationship does Daisy seem to have with her mother?
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)