|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the exchange between Sister Taylor and Deacon Lindsay?
(a) They say little, but they exchange vicious glances.
(b) Their exchange leads to improved relations between both sides.
(c) They criticize each other and threaten to fight.
(d) They playfully tease each other.
2. With what does Jim Weston hit Dave Carter?
(a) A broken soda bottle.
(b) A mule bone.
(c) A chair from the porch.
(d) His fist.
3. How do the men at the store react to Daisy's arrival?
(a) They are embarrassed to speak to her.
(b) They suddenly become very formal and well-mannered.
(c) No one speaks to her, but they all stare at her.
(d) They flirt with Daisy and ask her to reveal which man she prefer, Jim or Dave.
4. Who is Joe Clarke?
(a) He is the Methodist minister.
(b) He is the owner of the general store and the mayor of the town.
(c) He is the Baptist minister.
(d) He is one of the men in love with Daisy.
5. What do the men at the store begin to talk about after Jim Weston and Dave Carter arrive?
(a) They talk about who will win Daisy's heart.
(b) They go back to arguing about whether the town needs a jail.
(c) They talk about the weather and how it will affect the harvest.
(d) They return to talking about the town's snake problem.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave Carter buy for Daisy?
2. What does Sister Taylor think of Mrs. Blunt's reaction to the trial and the associated gossip?
3. Why is Joe Clarke so passionate about the town?
4. What does Dave Carter do while Jim Weston plays music?
5. According to Sister Taylor, what will ruin a person's eyesight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Sister Thomas give to support why they should all testify for Jim at the trial?
2. Describe Daisy's reaction to Dave's and Jim's fight.
3. Why are people confused by the ringing of the church bell?
4. Why do both Jim and Dave resent the townspeople's interference in their argument?
5. How do the men of the town suggest that Mrs. Roberts be dealt with?
6. Why is Deacon Simms headed the wrong way when Sisters Taylor and Thomas see him?
7. How does Jim react to meeting Daisy as she is on her way back to town?
8. What excuse does Dave offer to prove that he is not on his way to visit Daisy?
9. How do the different congregations react when the participants of the trial enter?
10. What do the other characters think of Mrs. Roberts?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)