|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Joe Lindsay bring the mule bone to the store?
(a) He believes it will bring him luck.
(b) He wants to show it to the other men.
(c) He uses it to protect himself from stray dogs.
(d) He wants to return it to its rightful owner.
2. Why does Jim Weston get angry with Dave Carter in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) He thinks he is mocking him.
(b) He accuses him of being unfair and taking advantage of the situation.
(c) He accuses him of not listening and not appreciating his music.
(d) He was supposed to be playing the fiddle.
3. Why does Daisy return to the store in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) She hears Jim Weston and Dave Carter's music,
(b) She left her pocketbook at the store.
(c) She is coming in to work her shift at the store.
(d) She forgot to pick something up for her mother.
4. According to Deacon Simms, why does the town need a jail?
(a) The town is full of lawlessness.
(b) The jail will provide some much-needed jobs.
(c) The jail will bring in government money.
(d) The church basement is overcrowded with prisoners.
5. What does Sister Thomas repeatedly say she needs to do before the trial?
(a) Put the collard greens on to cook.
(b) Finish washing her dishes.
(c) Change her clothes.
(d) Hang her laundry.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does Jim Weston hit Dave Carter?
2. Why does Joe Clarke tell Marshal Lum Boger to save the mule bone?
3. What evidence does Joe Clarke offer to support his accusation of JIm Weston?
4. Why does Dave Carter strike back at Jim Weston?
5. Of what, in addition to assault, does Joe Clarke suggest that Jim Weston is guilty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence in Act 3 suggests that Dave and Jim still have a strong bond?
2. How do Dave and Jim compete for Daisy's affections in Act 3?
3. Describe the disagreement between Joe Clarke and Deacon Simms.
4. What request does Mrs. Blunt make concerning the trial? How is her request received by Joe Clarke?
5. What does the description of the Baptist church details suggest about the congregation?
6. In Act III, why does Daisy threaten to leave after Dave arrives at the train tracks?
7. Compare the fight among the children to the fight between Sister Taylor and Joe Lindsay.
8. Describe Daisy's reaction to Dave's and Jim's fight.
9. Why does Sister Taylor want to testify at the trial even though she was not present at the fight?
10. What does Sister Taylor mean when she says that "De bear is walkin' de earth lak a natural man"?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)