|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the men at the store react to the arrival of Teets Miller and Bootsie Pitts?
(a) They do not even notice.
(b) They agree that both women are just as pretty as Daisy.
(c) They are too shy to speak to them directly.
(d) They agree that the women are attractive, but not as attractive as Daisy.
2. What part of Joe Clarke's appearance does Sister Thomas criticize?
(a) She says he has a huge stomach.
(b) She says he has short, stubby legs.
(c) She says his hair looks like a nest of beavers.
(d) She says he has a flat nose.
3. For what does Sister Taylor chastise the children in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) For teasing the Methodist children.
(b) For not including everyone in their games.
(c) For getting in the way of the adults' work.
(d) For not going to church on Sunday.
4. How do the children react to Sister Taylor's reprimands?
(a) They apologize and head home.
(b) They tease her and shake themselves at her.
(c) They say nothing, but look sheepish and wander away.
(d) They quiet down, but continue with their fighting after she leaves.
5. What are Joe Clarke and Deacon Simms doing when Jim Weston and Dave Carter arrive at the store?
(a) They are playing a friendly game of checkers.
(b) They are shaking hands and apologizing to each other.
(c) They are beating each other with the mule bone.
(d) They are still arguing about the town.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Jim Weston and Dave Carter react to Daisy's return?
2. Which of the following best describes the Baptist position on Jim Weston's guilt?
3. What does Deacon Simms discuss after he moves beyond the subject of snakes?
4. How does Daisy respond to the question of whether she prefers Jim Weston or Dave Carter?
5. As the evening progresses, what games do the men on the porch play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the men all interested in the hock bone that Joe Lindsay brings to the store?
2. Describe the relationship between Joe Clarke and his wife.
3. Describe the nature of the disagreement between Sisters Taylor and Lewis.
4. How does the ending of the play confirm that Jim and Dave have reconciled their friendship?
5. How do the different congregations react when the participants of the trial enter?
6. What kind of relationship does Daisy seem to have with her mother?
7. Describe Daisy's reaction to Dave's and Jim's fight.
8. What does the description of the Baptist church details suggest about the congregation?
9. What outcome does Deacon Simms expect from the trial?
10. How does the suggestion of saying a prayer before beginning the trial feed the conflict among the people at the trial?
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)