|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Jim Weston and Dave Carter react to Daisy's return?
(a) They are both too nervous to say anything.
(b) They begin to push and shove each other.
(c) They immediately break into song.
(d) They playfully criticize each other to try to impress Daisy.
2. What assurance does Deacon Simms give Sisters Taylor and Thomas?
(a) He assures them that they will both get a chance to testify at the trial.
(b) He assures them that Jim Weston will get the punishment he deserves.
(c) He assures them that not only will Jim Weston be cleared, but they may get a new mayor.
(d) He assures them that the trial will be quick and fair.
3. What does Sister Thomas do after Reverend Childers and his group enter?
(a) She flips her skirt at them and exits.
(b) She picks a fight with Deacon Lindsay.
(c) She begins singing a traditional Methodist hymn.
(d) She sucks her teeth and turns her back to them.
4. What name does Sister Taylor call the girl who sasses back at her?
(a) A "limb of Satan."
(b) A "Satan's chile."
(c) A "truck o' trouble."
(d) A "little heifer."
5. What game are the children playing in front of the store?
(c) Red rover.
(d) Chick-me, chick-me, cranie-crow.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sister Jones say she won't testify for Jim Weston?
2. What draws Joe Clarke's attention to Jim Weston and Dave Carter's fight?
3. Why does Dave Carter strike back at Jim Weston?
4. What complaint does Joe Clarke make about Lum Boger?
5. Why does Jim Weston begin to play music?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Joe Clarke's treatment of Lum Boger.
2. What kind of relationship does Daisy seem to have with her mother?
3. Describe Daisy's reaction to the accusation that she has come between Dave and Jim.
4. Why is Deacon Simms headed the wrong way when Sisters Taylor and Thomas see him?
5. How does Mrs. Thomas' show herself to be hypocrite with her response to Mrs. Blunt's request?
6. Why does Hambo bring out the checkerboard?
7. What does Sister Taylor mean when she says that "De bear is walkin' de earth lak a natural man"?
8. What request does Mrs. Blunt make concerning the trial? How is her request received by Joe Clarke?
9. Compare the fight among the children to the fight between Sister Taylor and Joe Lindsay.
10. What does the crowd on the porch suggest to Dave and Jim about Daisy's intentions, and how do the men respond?
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)