|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time is Jim Weston's trial scheduled to begin?
(a) Seven o'clock.
(b) Three o'clock.
(d) Four o'clock.
2. Why does Jim Weston get angry with Dave Carter in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) He was supposed to be playing the fiddle.
(b) He accuses him of being unfair and taking advantage of the situation.
(c) He accuses him of not listening and not appreciating his music.
(d) He thinks he is mocking him.
3. Where has Daisy been before her return to town?
(a) No one knows where she has been.
(b) She was away at college.
(c) She was in prison for a suspicious accident.
(d) She was in the North working for a white family.
4. What is Mary Ella's criticism about the Methodist Church?
(a) She says that it does not have any windows and it is located in the swamp.
(b) She says the Methodist Church does not have a church bell.
(c) She says that no matter how nice it looks, God does not visit there.
(d) She says that it might be big, but they do not have enough members to fill it.
5. From which mule did the bone originally come?
(a) No one knows.
(b) Matt Brazzle's mean mule.
(c) Lum Boger's old mule.
(d) The mule that escaped from Will Cody's pasture.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Deacon Simms, why does the town need a jail?
2. What does Dave Carter do while Jim Weston plays music?
3. What does Sister Thomas think of Mrs. Blunt's reaction to the trial and the associated gossip?
4. Why does Jim Weston jump up to fight Dave Carter in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. How do the men at the store react to Daisy's arrival?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the crowd on the porch suggest to Dave and Jim about Daisy's intentions, and how do the men respond?
2. How does the suggestion of saying a prayer before beginning the trial feed the conflict among the people at the trial?
3. Compare the greeting that Sisters Thomas and Taylor give Reverend Childers and Joe Lindsay to the greeting that they give Deacon Simms and Joe Clarke.
4. How does Jim respond to the part of the crowd that throws him out of town?
5. How does Mrs. Thomas' show herself to be hypocrite with her response to Mrs. Blunt's request?
6. What reason does Sister Thomas give to support why they should all testify for Jim at the trial?
7. Why are the men all interested in the hock bone that Joe Lindsay brings to the store?
8. Why are people confused by the ringing of the church bell?
9. Describe Joe Clarke's treatment of Lum Boger.
10. Describe Daisy's reaction to the accusation that she has come between Dave and Jim.
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)