|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sister Taylor call the Baptist children?
(a) "Lil Baptis' Haitians."
(b) "Devil's chillen."
(c) "You all varmints."
(d) "Limbs of Satan."
2. What does Dave Carter do after Jim Weston hits him?
(a) Falls unconscious.
(b) Shakes his head and walks back out of town.
(c) Staggers away, supported by Joe Clarke and Deacon Simms.
(d) Staggers away, supported by Daisy.
3. What explanation does Deacon Lindsay give to explain why he doesn't want to talk to Sister Taylor?
(a) She is a Baptist and he does not speak to Baptists.
(b) He says she is too ugly.
(c) He is too busy and on his way to work.
(d) He heard that she has been gossiping about him.
4. How do Jim Weston and Dave Carter react to Daisy's return?
(a) They playfully criticize each other to try to impress Daisy.
(b) They immediately break into song.
(c) They are both too nervous to say anything.
(d) They begin to push and shove each other.
5. For what crime is Jim Weston being tried?
(a) Attempted murder.
(b) Possession of an illegal weapon.
(c) Disorderly conduct.
(d) Assault and battery.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mrs. Roberts, why should the store owner give her some meat?
2. How has Daisy's return to town affected Jim Weston and Dave Carter?
3. How do the men in front of the store react to Deacon Simms' arrival?
4. What does Dave Carter do while Jim Weston plays music?
5. What complaint does Deacon Simms have about snakes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Jim and Dave react to the squabbling among the people at the trial?
2. What is the setting of Act I?
3. Describe the relationship between Joe Clarke and his wife.
4. Describe the disagreement between Joe Clarke and Deacon Simms.
5. Describe Daisy's reaction to the accusation that she has come between Dave and Jim.
6. What examples in Act 3 reveal Daisy's manipulative side?
7. Describe the men's reaction to Deacon Simms' arrival.
8. What does the crowd on the porch suggest to Dave and Jim about Daisy's intentions, and how do the men respond?
9. Describe Elder Simms' attitude toward the people of the town.
10. What does the description of the Baptist church details suggest about the congregation?
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)