|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Sister Taylor, how ugly is Deacon Lindsay?
(a) He is so ugly that he does not need a mask for Halloween.
(b) He is so ugly that children run away from him.
(c) He is so ugly that he scares the cows and their milk dries up.
(d) He is so ugly that his wife puts a sheet over his head so sleep can sneak up on him.
2. Where is Jim Weston held until his trial?
(a) In the church basement.
(b) In the store's cellar.
(c) In Joe Clarke's barn.
(d) Under house arrest.
3. How does Daisy respond to the question of whether she prefers Jim Weston or Dave Carter?
(a) She will not say who she would choose.
(b) She says that she is not interested in either.
(c) She says she prefers Dave Carter.
(d) She says she prefers Jim Weston.
4. Which of the following best describes the exchange between Sister Taylor and Deacon Lindsay?
(a) Their exchange leads to improved relations between both sides.
(b) They playfully tease each other.
(c) They say little, but they exchange vicious glances.
(d) They criticize each other and threaten to fight.
5. As the evening progresses, what games do the men on the porch play?
(a) They alternate between cards and playing checkers.
(b) They play hangman.
(c) They shoot dice.
(d) They play Scrabble.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sister Taylor say she would do with Daisy if she were her mother?
2. Which of the following best describes Sister Taylor's position about Daisy's involvement in the fight between Jim Weston and Dave Carter?
3. What information does Sister Taylor share with Lum Boger in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. How do Jim Weston and Dave Carter react to Daisy's return?
5. What does Sister Taylor think of Mrs. Blunt's reaction to the trial and the associated gossip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What examples in Act 3 reveal Daisy's manipulative side?
2. How does Mrs. Thomas' show herself to be hypocrite with her response to Mrs. Blunt's request?
3. About what do the men on the porch tease Teets and Bootsie? How do the girls respond?
4. What evidence in Act 3 suggests that Dave and Jim still have a strong bond?
5. What is the setting of Act I?
6. In Act III, why does Daisy threaten to leave after Dave arrives at the train tracks?
7. What evidence throughout Act 2, Scene 2, suggests that Joe Clarke is unfamiliar with court procedures?
8. Describe Lum Boger's role as marshal.
9. Why are the men all interested in the hock bone that Joe Lindsay brings to the store?
10. How do Jim and Dave react to the squabbling among the people at the trial?
This section contains 1,345 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)