|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Joe Clarke respond to Deacon Simms' suggestion about the jail?
(a) He laughs because he thinks it must be a joke.
(b) He isn't sure, but agrees to bring it up at the next town meeting.
(c) He agrees and wants to hear more.
(d) He is offended and argues.
2. Why does Joe Clarke chase away the children who are playing in front of the store?
(a) They are noisy, and he cannot concentrate on his game.
(b) It is getting late and their parents will expect them home.
(c) He does not really like children.
(d) The children almost broke a window in his store.
3. Where did Joe Lindsay find the mule bone?
(a) He says he found it while he was hunting.
(b) It is his good luck charm, so he never leaves home without it.
(c) He always carries it with him when he walks to town in order to fight off stray dogs.
(d) He says he found it behind the store.
4. What explanation does Sister Thomas offer to explain Joe Clarke's decisions regarding the trial?
(a) She says Joe Clarke resents Jim Weston and is looking for an excuse to get him out of town.
(b) She says he sees it as his responsibility as mayor.
(c) She says Joe Clarke is using the trial to challenge Deacon Simms.
(d) She says he knows that no one else will step up to take the leadership role.
5. What game are the children playing in front of the store?
(b) Red rover.
(c) Chick-me, chick-me, cranie-crow.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Daisy's return to town affected Jim Weston and Dave Carter?
2. Where have Jim Weston and Dave Carter been before they arrive at the store in Act 1, Scene 1?
3. What does Sister Taylor think of Mrs. Blunt's reaction to the trial and the associated gossip?
4. What does Sister Thomas repeatedly say she needs to do before the trial?
5. What name does Sister Taylor call the girl who sasses back at her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the description of the Baptist church details suggest about the congregation?
2. What does Sister Taylor mean when she says that "De bear is walkin' de earth lak a natural man"?
3. What examples in Act 3 reveal Daisy's manipulative side?
4. Why does Daisy refuse to follow Jim and wander on without direction in Act 3?
5. How does Joe Clarke defend his decision to oversee the trial?
6. Why is Lum Boger unable to testify about the fight between Dave and Jim?
7. How do the children's religious background become a competition?
8. Describe the men's reaction to Deacon Simms' arrival.
9. What evidence in Act 3 suggests that Dave and Jim still have a strong bond?
10. How do the Methodists and Baptists continue their argument into Act 3?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)