|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Joe Clarke respond to Deacon Simms' suggestion about the jail?
(a) He is offended and argues.
(b) He agrees and wants to hear more.
(c) He isn't sure, but agrees to bring it up at the next town meeting.
(d) He laughs because he thinks it must be a joke.
2. What instrument does Jim Weston play?
(a) The fiddle.
(b) The guitar.
(c) The accordion.
(d) The harmonica.
3. How do Sisters Taylor and Thomas greet Joe Clarke when he arrives at the trial?
(a) They ignore him and do not speak to him at all.
(b) They ask to pray with him for a peaceful resolution to the trial.
(c) They wish him luck.
(d) They criticize him for taking the Baptist side of the argument.
4. According to Sister Taylor, what is Joe Clarke trying to look like as he heads to the trial?
(a) Like a big-city lawyer.
(b) Like a Supreme Court justice.
(c) Like a Puritan governor.
(d) Like a brigadier general.
5. On what errand does Joe Clarke send Lum Boger?
(a) To work at the store during the trial.
(b) To get the witnesses.
(c) To get Jim Weston and the mule bone from the barn.
(d) To get the gavel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who orders Jim' Weston's arrest?
2. Why does the store owner at first refuse to give Mrs. Roberts the meat that she asks for?
3. What does Sister Taylor call the Baptist children?
4. Why is Joe Clarke so passionate about the town?
5. Where is the notice of Jim Weston's trial displayed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the children's religious background become a competition?
2. Why does Deacon Simms get frustrated during his defense argument?
3. Describe Reverend Childers' successful prosecution argument. How does he convince Joe Clarke that Jim is guilty of assault with a weapon?
4. How does Jim react to meeting Daisy as she is on her way back to town?
5. What evidence throughout Act 2, Scene 2, suggests that Joe Clarke is unfamiliar with court procedures?
6. How do the men of the town suggest that Mrs. Roberts be dealt with?
7. Describe the men's reaction to Deacon Simms' arrival.
8. Why does Jim come to the conclusion that Dave was on his way to visit Daisy?
9. How do Jim's and Dave's attitudes toward Daisy change at the end of Act 3?
10. Describe Daisy's reaction to Dave's and Jim's fight.
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)