|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On whose side is Joe Clarke in the matter of Jim Weston?
(a) He supports the Baptist position even though he is a Methodist.
(b) He is impartial and approaches his role as a fair judge.
(c) He is swayed by both sides of the argument and seems unable to make up his mind.
(d) He believes that Jim Weston should be forgiven but should make restitution.
2. What does Joe Clarke realize that he needs to get from the lodge room before he goes to the trial?
(a) The evidence.
(b) The gavel.
(c) His judge's robe.
(d) The list of charges.
3. Which of the following best describes the Baptist position on Jim Weston's guilt?
(a) They believe that he should be imprisoned for at least a year.
(b) They believe that he is innocent and should be released.
(c) They believe that he and Dave Carter should resolve the issue themselves.
(d) They believe that he should be expelled from the town.
4. How do the sisters Taylor and Thomas treat Deacon Simms when he arrives?
(a) They criticize him and verbally harrass him.
(b) They ignore him and continue their own conversation.
(c) They ask to pray with him for a peaceful resolution to the trial.
(d) They are supportive and wish him luck.
5. How does Deacon Lindsay respond to Sister Taylor's and Sister Thomas' actions in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) He is offended and turns to leave.
(b) He laughs because he thinks they are behaving like children.
(c) He gets angry and wants to know why they aren't speaking.
(d) He extends his hand and asks for a reconciliation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What complaint does Deacon Simms have about snakes?
2. How do the men at the store react to the arrival of Teets Miller and Bootsie Pitts?
3. What does Dave Carter buy for Daisy?
4. According to Deacon Simms, what kind of day is it in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. When the fighting children enter, what does Sister Taylor look for, and what does she intend to do with it?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jim respond to the part of the crowd that throws him out of town?
2. What does Sister Taylor mean when she says that "De bear is walkin' de earth lak a natural man"?
3. Why do both Jim and Dave resent the townspeople's interference in their argument?
4. Why does Sister Taylor want to testify at the trial even though she was not present at the fight?
5. How do the men of the town suggest that Mrs. Roberts be dealt with?
6. How do Dave and Jim compete for Daisy's affections in Act 3?
7. What comments do Sisters Taylor and Thomas have about Joe Clarke when he approaches them on his way to the trial?
8. What reason does Sister Thomas give to support why they should all testify for Jim at the trial?
9. What examples in Act 3 reveal Daisy's manipulative side?
10. How do Jim and Dave react to the squabbling among the people at the trial?
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)