|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Deacon Lindsay, what does Sister Taylor smell like?
(a) Like "de devil's doll baby."
(b) Like a "nest of grand daddies."
(c) Like a "louse in de church."
(d) Like a "neet of yellow hammers."
2. Why does the store owner at first refuse to give Mrs. Roberts the meat that she asks for?
(a) They have a longstanding feud.
(b) The meat is not very good quality.
(c) He is afraid of Mr. Roberts, who has warned him against giving food to her.
(d) He believes that she has enough food.
3. Which of the following best describes the Baptist position on Jim Weston's guilt?
(a) They believe that he and Dave Carter should resolve the issue themselves.
(b) They believe that he is innocent and should be released.
(c) They believe that he should be imprisoned for at least a year.
(d) They believe that he should be expelled from the town.
4. How has Daisy's return to town affected Jim Weston and Dave Carter?
(a) Daisy's return to town has put a strain on their friendship.
(b) It has not affected them at all.
(c) Dave Carter is distracted by her attention, but Jim Weston is ignoring her.
(d) Jim Weston is distracted by her attention, but Dave Carter is ignoring her.
5. Who orders Jim' Weston's arrest?
(a) Joe Clarke.
(c) Marshal Lum Boger.
(d) Deacon Simms.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two characters are the first to speak in Act 2, Scene 1?
2. What color shirt is Dave Carter wearing?
3. According to Deacon Simms, what kind of day is it in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. Why does Joe Clarke chase away the children who are playing in front of the store?
5. Where has Daisy been before her return to town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the interaction between Sister Taylor and the children.
2. What reason does Sister Thomas give to support why they should all testify for Jim at the trial?
3. How do the Methodists and Baptists continue their argument into Act 3?
4. Describe the disagreement between Joe Clarke and Deacon Simms.
5. What does Sister Taylor mean when she says that "De bear is walkin' de earth lak a natural man"?
6. How do Jim and Dave react to the squabbling among the people at the trial?
7. Describe Elder Simms' attitude toward the people of the town.
8. Compare the fight among the children to the fight between Sister Taylor and Joe Lindsay.
9. What do the women think about Daisy's mother's reaction to the trial?
10. How does Jim respond to the part of the crowd that throws him out of town?
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)