|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On whose side is Joe Clarke in the matter of Jim Weston?
(a) He is swayed by both sides of the argument and seems unable to make up his mind.
(b) He is impartial and approaches his role as a fair judge.
(c) He supports the Baptist position even though he is a Methodist.
(d) He believes that Jim Weston should be forgiven but should make restitution.
2. Which two characters are the first to speak in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Teets Miller and Bootsie Pitts
(b) Sister Lucy Taylor and Sister Thomas
(c) Jim Weston and Joe Clarke
(d) Sister Jane Babler and Sister James
3. What complaint does Deacon Simms have about snakes?
(a) They are the only creature of which he is afraid.
(b) He can never tell the difference between venomous and non-venomous snakes.
(c) They are messengers of the devil and represent evil.
(d) The snakes keep eating his chicks.
4. What does Sister Taylor do to end the argument with the sassy young girl?
(a) She calls the girl's mother over and lets the mother deal with her.
(b) She turns the girl over her knee and spanks her.
(c) She embarrasses the girl in front her friends.
(d) She heads to the church to tell the girl's mother.
5. How does Deacon Lindsay respond to Sister Taylor's and Sister Thomas' actions in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) He extends his hand and asks for a reconciliation.
(b) He is offended and turns to leave.
(c) He gets angry and wants to know why they aren't speaking.
(d) He laughs because he thinks they are behaving like children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Teets Miiller and Bootsie Pitts?
2. What does Deacon Simms suggest they do about the problem of snakes in the area?
3. What does Sister Taylor think of Mrs. Blunt's reaction to the trial and the associated gossip?
4. How do the men at the store react to Mrs. Roberts' plight?
5. Why does Dave Carter strike back at Jim Weston?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Daisy's reaction to Dave's and Jim's fight.
2. Describe the disagreement between Joe Clarke and Deacon Simms.
3. In Act III, why does Daisy threaten to leave after Dave arrives at the train tracks?
4. Why is Deacon Simms headed the wrong way when Sisters Taylor and Thomas see him?
5. What complaint does Walter make about Baptist theology?
6. Describe the interaction between Sister Taylor and the children.
7. According to Sister Thomas, why is Joe Clarke siding with the Baptists in the fight over Jim's trial?
8. Describe Elder Simms' attitude toward the people of the town.
9. How do the men of the town suggest that Mrs. Roberts be dealt with?
10. What comments do Sisters Taylor and Thomas have about Joe Clarke when he approaches them on his way to the trial?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)