|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What evidence does Joe Clarke offer to support his accusation of JIm Weston?
(a) He says he always behaves suspiciously.
(b) He says he just looks like the type of guy who would do such a thing.
(c) He says he has heard that he buries a lot of feathers in his back yard.
(d) He says he has seen odd-shaped bulges in his coat pockets.
2. Which of the following best describes the Baptist position on Jim Weston's guilt?
(a) They believe that he should be expelled from the town.
(b) They believe that he should be imprisoned for at least a year.
(c) They believe that he is innocent and should be released.
(d) They believe that he and Dave Carter should resolve the issue themselves.
3. What does Sister Taylor say she would do with Daisy if she were her mother?
(a) She says she would put her out of the house and let her support herself.
(b) She says she would send her back North to get her away from the men.
(c) She says she would beat her for acting like a tramp.
(d) She says she would not allow her out of the house.
4. What does Dave Carter do after Jim Weston hits him?
(a) Staggers away, supported by Daisy.
(b) Staggers away, supported by Joe Clarke and Deacon Simms.
(c) Shakes his head and walks back out of town.
(d) Falls unconscious.
5. What time is Jim Weston's trial scheduled to begin?
(a) Four o'clock.
(b) Three o'clock.
(c) Seven o'clock.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Sister Taylor call the girl who sasses back at her?
2. What does Sister Taylor call the Baptist children?
3. Where have Jim Weston and Dave Carter been before they arrive at the store in Act 1, Scene 1?
4. What does Sister Thomas repeatedly say she needs to do before the trial?
5. Where is Deaconr Simms headed when he meets Sisters Taylor and Thomas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the nature of the disagreement between Sisters Taylor and Lewis.
2. What kind of relationship does Daisy seem to have with her mother?
3. How do Dave and Jim compete for Daisy's affections in Act 3?
4. What reason does Sister Thomas give to support why they should all testify for Jim at the trial?
5. What do the women think about Daisy's mother's reaction to the trial?
6. Why is Deacon Simms headed the wrong way when Sisters Taylor and Thomas see him?
7. What does the description of the Baptist church details suggest about the congregation?
8. In Act III, why does Daisy threaten to leave after Dave arrives at the train tracks?
9. How does Joe Clarke defend his decision to oversee the trial?
10. How do Jim's and Dave's attitudes toward Daisy change at the end of Act 3?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)