|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sister Taylor suggest that changes Sister Jones' mind about testifying?
(a) She assures her that everyone else in town will be testifying, so she should join in.
(b) She convinces her that Jim Weston is really an honest, hard-working man who deserves their support.
(c) She says that the issue is not about Jim Weston, but about defending themselves from the Baptists.
(d) She convinces her that it is their civic responsibility to testify.
2. Why does Jim Weston jump up to fight Dave Carter in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Dave Carter steps on his foot when he leaves the store.
(b) He think that Dave Carter is laughing at him.
(c) His pride is hurt and he wants to fight to defend his honor.
(d) He is jealous and wants to fight for Daisy's love.
3. Why does Dave Carter strike back at Jim Weston?
(a) Jim Weston accidentally hits Daisy when he swings at Dave.Carter.
(b) Jim Weston makes a rude comment about Dave Carter's mother.
(c) Jim Weston causes Dave Carter to spill red soda all over his shirt.
(d) Jim Weston breaks his nose.
4. Which of the following best describes the Baptist position on Jim Weston's guilt?
(a) They believe that he should be imprisoned for at least a year.
(b) They believe that he is innocent and should be released.
(c) They believe that he and Dave Carter should resolve the issue themselves.
(d) They believe that he should be expelled from the town.
5. What do the men at the store begin to talk about after Jim Weston and Dave Carter arrive?
(a) They talk about who will win Daisy's heart.
(b) They return to talking about the town's snake problem.
(c) They go back to arguing about whether the town needs a jail.
(d) They talk about the weather and how it will affect the harvest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument does Jim Weston play?
2. Who orders Jim' Weston's arrest?
3. From which mule did the bone originally come?
4. Why does the store owner at first refuse to give Mrs. Roberts the meat that she asks for?
5. How do Jim Weston and Dave Carter react to Daisy's return?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are people confused by the ringing of the church bell?
2. How do the different congregations react when the participants of the trial enter?
3. Why does Sister Taylor struggle to read the sign posted on the tree?
4. How do the women's attitudes toward Daisy differ from the men's?
5. Describe the disagreement between Joe Clarke and Deacon Simms.
6. According to Sister Thomas, why is Joe Clarke siding with the Baptists in the fight over Jim's trial?
7. Why is Lum Boger unable to testify about the fight between Dave and Jim?
8. What do the other characters think of Mrs. Roberts?
9. What does the description of the Baptist church details suggest about the congregation?
10. How do Jim's and Dave's attitudes toward Daisy change at the end of Act 3?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)