|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which two characters are the first to speak in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Sister Jane Babler and Sister James
(b) Sister Lucy Taylor and Sister Thomas
(c) Jim Weston and Joe Clarke
(d) Teets Miller and Bootsie Pitts
2. Why do some women challenge Joe Clarke's involvement in Jim Weston's trial?
(a) All of the women believe that he should bring in a judge from out of town.
(b) The Baptist women criticize him because he is a Methodist.
(c) Many women believe that he should not be the judge because the incident occurred on his property.
(d) The Methodist women criticize him for holding the trial in a Baptist church.
3. Why does Sister Jones say she won't testify for Jim Weston?
(a) Her husband will not let her speak in court.
(b) She likes Dave Carter more and believes that he did not deserve to be beaten.
(c) She says she does not know enough about the fight.
(d) She says she does not care what happens; she does not like Jim Weston or Dave Carter.
4. What does Dave Carter do after Jim Weston hits him?
(a) Shakes his head and walks back out of town.
(b) Staggers away, supported by Joe Clarke and Deacon Simms.
(c) Staggers away, supported by Daisy.
(d) Falls unconscious.
5. What assurance does Deacon Simms give Sisters Taylor and Thomas?
(a) He assures them that they will both get a chance to testify at the trial.
(b) He assures them that not only will Jim Weston be cleared, but they may get a new mayor.
(c) He assures them that the trial will be quick and fair.
(d) He assures them that Jim Weston will get the punishment he deserves.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Sister Taylor, what will be the cause of the next trial?
2. Where is the notice of Jim Weston's trial displayed?
3. Describe the relationship between the Methodists and the Baptists in town.
4. What complaint does Deacon Simms have about snakes?
5. What information does Sister Taylor share with Lum Boger in Act 1, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence in Act 3 suggests that Dave and Jim still have a strong bond?
2. How do the Methodists and Baptists continue their argument into Act 3?
3. Describe the interaction between Sister Taylor and the children.
4. About what do the men on the porch tease Teets and Bootsie? How do the girls respond?
5. What evidence suggests that Joe Clarke will not be an impartial judge in Jim's trial?
6. What does the crowd on the porch suggest to Dave and Jim about Daisy's intentions, and how do the men respond?
7. What do the other characters think of Mrs. Roberts?
8. What complaint does Walter make about Baptist theology?
9. Compare the greeting that Sisters Thomas and Taylor give Reverend Childers and Joe Lindsay to the greeting that they give Deacon Simms and Joe Clarke.
10. How does Mrs. Thomas' show herself to be hypocrite with her response to Mrs. Blunt's request?
This section contains 1,181 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)