|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Deacon Simms, what kind of day is it in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) It is a cloudy day.
(b) It is a chilly day.
(c) It is a hot day.
(d) It is a windy day.
2. What complaint does Joe Clarke make about Lum Boger?
(a) He says he is "dumb as a stump."
(b) He says he is lazy.
(c) He says he walks too slowly.
(d) He says he is disrespectful.
3. How do the men at the store react to Daisy's arrival?
(a) They flirt with Daisy and ask her to reveal which man she prefer, Jim or Dave.
(b) They are embarrassed to speak to her.
(c) No one speaks to her, but they all stare at her.
(d) They suddenly become very formal and well-mannered.
4. According to Sister Taylor, what will ruin a person's eyesight?
(a) Having one's eye teeth pulled out.
(b) Gossiping about neighbors.
(c) Handling a mule bone.
(d) Reading without enough light.
5. What does Sister Taylor do to end the argument with the sassy young girl?
(a) She calls the girl's mother over and lets the mother deal with her.
(b) She embarrasses the girl in front her friends.
(c) She turns the girl over her knee and spanks her.
(d) She heads to the church to tell the girl's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What draws Joe Clarke's attention to Jim Weston and Dave Carter's fight?
2. What is Mary Ella's criticism about the Methodist Church?
3. Why does Daisy come to the store?
4. What are Joe Clarke and Deacon Simms doing when Jim Weston and Dave Carter arrive at the store?
5. Where did Joe Lindsay find the mule bone?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the ending of the play confirm that Jim and Dave have reconciled their friendship?
2. What kind of relationship does Daisy seem to have with her mother?
3. How do the women's attitudes toward Daisy differ from the men's?
4. Why does Daisy refuse to follow Jim and wander on without direction in Act 3?
5. Compare the greeting that Sisters Thomas and Taylor give Reverend Childers and Joe Lindsay to the greeting that they give Deacon Simms and Joe Clarke.
6. Why does Sister Taylor want to testify at the trial even though she was not present at the fight?
7. How do Jim's and Dave's attitudes toward Daisy change at the end of Act 3?
8. Why do both Jim and Dave resent the townspeople's interference in their argument?
9. Why does Hambo bring out the checkerboard?
10. What outcome does Deacon Simms expect from the trial?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)