|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the children react to Sister Taylor's reprimands?
(a) They say nothing, but look sheepish and wander away.
(b) They quiet down, but continue with their fighting after she leaves.
(c) They tease her and shake themselves at her.
(d) They apologize and head home.
2. What game are the children playing in front of the store?
(a) Chick-me, chick-me, cranie-crow.
(d) Red rover.
3. Who orders Jim' Weston's arrest?
(a) Deacon Simms.
(b) Joe Clarke.
(d) Marshal Lum Boger.
4. Of what, in addition to assault, does Joe Clarke suggest that Jim Weston is guilty?
(a) Of stealing from his store.
(b) Of mistreating women.
(c) Of being ungodly and not attending church.
(d) Of stealing his chickens.
5. Why does Sister Taylor doubt that the girl's mother will influence the girl?
(a) She knows that the mother tries but has no control over the daughter.
(b) She knows that the girl only listens to her father.
(c) She says that a child that mean will not listen to anyone.
(d) She says the girl's mother does not behave any better than the daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mrs. Roberts, why should the store owner give her some meat?
2. How does Deacon Lindsay respond to Sister Taylor's and Sister Thomas' actions in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. What does Dave Carter do while Jim Weston plays music?
4. What are Joe Clarke and Deacon Simms doing when Jim Weston and Dave Carter arrive at the store?
5. How do the men at the store react to the arrival of Teets Miller and Bootsie Pitts?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the children's religious background become a competition?
2. What is the setting of Act I?
3. Why are the men all interested in the hock bone that Joe Lindsay brings to the store?
4. Why does Jim turn his back on Daisy after she offers him a job and a place to go?
5. How does Jim react to meeting Daisy as she is on her way back to town?
6. Why are people confused by the ringing of the church bell?
7. Why does Sister Taylor struggle to read the sign posted on the tree?
8. What evidence in Act 3 suggests that Dave and Jim still have a strong bond?
9. Describe the interaction between Sister Taylor and the children.
10. Why does Hambo bring out the checkerboard?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)