|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sister Taylor say she would do with Daisy if she were her mother?
(a) She says she would put her out of the house and let her support herself.
(b) She says she would beat her for acting like a tramp.
(c) She says she would not allow her out of the house.
(d) She says she would send her back North to get her away from the men.
2. What do the men at the store begin to talk about after Jim Weston and Dave Carter arrive?
(a) They talk about the weather and how it will affect the harvest.
(b) They go back to arguing about whether the town needs a jail.
(c) They return to talking about the town's snake problem.
(d) They talk about who will win Daisy's heart.
3. Why does Jim Weston jump up to fight Dave Carter in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Dave Carter steps on his foot when he leaves the store.
(b) His pride is hurt and he wants to fight to defend his honor.
(c) He is jealous and wants to fight for Daisy's love.
(d) He think that Dave Carter is laughing at him.
4. Which of the following best describes Sister Taylor's position about Daisy's involvement in the fight between Jim Weston and Dave Carter?
(a) Sister Taylor believes that the two men would fight about any girl.
(b) Sister Taylor believes that men are responsible for their own actions.
(c) Sister Taylor believes that Daisy caused it by showing off and teasing the men.
(d) Sister Taylor believes that Daisy is innocent; it is not her fault that men find her attractive.
5. Why does Daisy come to the store?
(a) She needs to buy some stamps.
(b) She wants to challenge the men to a high-stakes poker game.
(c) She needs to pick up some items for her mother.
(d) She wants to show off her new dress for all of the men.
Short Answer Questions
1. From which mule did the bone originally come?
2. According to Sister Taylor, what will be the cause of the next trial?
3. How does Deacon Lindsay respond to Sister Taylor's and Sister Thomas' actions in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. What evidence does Joe Clarke offer to support his accusation of JIm Weston?
5. What does Dave Carter buy for Daisy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lum Boger unable to testify about the fight between Dave and Jim?
2. Describe Daisy's reaction to Dave's and Jim's fight.
3. How does Joe Clarke defend his decision to oversee the trial?
4. What reason does Sister Thomas give to support why they should all testify for Jim at the trial?
5. What evidence throughout Act 2, Scene 2, suggests that Joe Clarke is unfamiliar with court procedures?
6. Why does Jim come to the conclusion that Dave was on his way to visit Daisy?
7. How do Dave and Jim compete for Daisy's affections in Act 3?
8. Describe Reverend Childers' successful prosecution argument. How does he convince Joe Clarke that Jim is guilty of assault with a weapon?
9. Describe the interaction between Sister Taylor and the children.
10. What comments do Sisters Taylor and Thomas have about Joe Clarke when he approaches them on his way to the trial?
This section contains 1,155 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)