Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color shirt is Dave Carter wearing?
(b) The text does not reveal the color.
2. Why does Jim Weston get angry with Dave Carter in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) He was supposed to be playing the fiddle.
(b) He accuses him of being unfair and taking advantage of the situation.
(c) He accuses him of not listening and not appreciating his music.
(d) He thinks he is mocking him.
3. How do the men at the store react to the arrival of Teets Miller and Bootsie Pitts?
(a) They agree that both women are just as pretty as Daisy.
(b) They do not even notice.
(c) They are too shy to speak to them directly.
(d) They agree that the women are attractive, but not as attractive as Daisy.
4. According to Sister Taylor, how ugly is Deacon Lindsay?
(a) He is so ugly that children run away from him.
(b) He is so ugly that his wife puts a sheet over his head so sleep can sneak up on him.
(c) He is so ugly that he does not need a mask for Halloween.
(d) He is so ugly that he scares the cows and their milk dries up.
5. According to Deacon Simms, why does the town need a jail?
(a) The jail will provide some much-needed jobs.
(b) The church basement is overcrowded with prisoners.
(c) The jail will bring in government money.
(d) The town is full of lawlessness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sister Taylor doubt that the girl's mother will influence the girl?
2. How does Deacon Lindsay respond to Sister Taylor's and Sister Thomas' actions in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. On what errand does Joe Clarke send Lum Boger?
4. How does Daisy respond to the question of whether she prefers Jim Weston or Dave Carter?
5. What does Sister Taylor say she would do with Daisy if she were her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the women think about Daisy's mother's reaction to the trial?
2. Why is Lum Boger unable to testify about the fight between Dave and Jim?
3. What evidence in Act 3 suggests that Dave and Jim still have a strong bond?
4. Describe Daisy's reaction to the accusation that she has come between Dave and Jim.
5. In Act III, why does Daisy threaten to leave after Dave arrives at the train tracks?
6. What does the description of the Baptist church details suggest about the congregation?
7. What request does Mrs. Blunt make concerning the trial? How is her request received by Joe Clarke?
8. Why do both Jim and Dave resent the townspeople's interference in their argument?
9. How do the different congregations react when the participants of the trial enter?
10. How does Mrs. Thomas' show herself to be hypocrite with her response to Mrs. Blunt's request?
This section contains 1,161 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)