|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Joe Clarke chase away the children who are playing in front of the store?
(a) He does not really like children.
(b) They are noisy, and he cannot concentrate on his game.
(c) The children almost broke a window in his store.
(d) It is getting late and their parents will expect them home.
2. What does Sister Taylor say she would do with Daisy if she were her mother?
(a) She says she would put her out of the house and let her support herself.
(b) She says she would send her back North to get her away from the men.
(c) She says she would beat her for acting like a tramp.
(d) She says she would not allow her out of the house.
3. What explanation does Deacon Lindsay give to explain why he doesn't want to talk to Sister Taylor?
(a) He heard that she has been gossiping about him.
(b) He is too busy and on his way to work.
(c) He says she is too ugly.
(d) She is a Baptist and he does not speak to Baptists.
4. How do the men in front of the store react to Deacon Simms' arrival?
(a) They begin to harass and verbally assault him.
(b) They quickly hide their games and their winnings.
(c) They try to ignore him, hoping that he will go away.
(d) They welcome him to join their poker game.
5. Which of the following best describes the Baptist position on Jim Weston's guilt?
(a) They believe that he and Dave Carter should resolve the issue themselves.
(b) They believe that he should be imprisoned for at least a year.
(c) They believe that he should be expelled from the town.
(d) They believe that he is innocent and should be released.
Short Answer Questions
1. What information does Sister Taylor share with Lum Boger in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What does Sister Taylor call the Baptist children?
3. How does Dave Carter react to Jim Weston's anger?
4. Why does Dave Carter strike back at Jim Weston?
5. What are Joe Clarke and Deacon Simms doing when Jim Weston and Dave Carter arrive at the store?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the nature of the disagreement between Sisters Taylor and Lewis.
2. According to Sister Thomas, why is Joe Clarke siding with the Baptists in the fight over Jim's trial?
3. How do Jim and Dave react to the squabbling among the people at the trial?
4. Describe Lum Boger's role as marshal.
5. Why does Deacon Simms get frustrated during his defense argument?
6. How do the children's religious background become a competition?
7. What reason does Sister Thomas give to support why they should all testify for Jim at the trial?
8. Why is Lum Boger unable to testify about the fight between Dave and Jim?
9. Describe Daisy's reaction to Dave's and Jim's fight.
10. Why are the men all interested in the hock bone that Joe Lindsay brings to the store?
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)