|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the men at the store react to Mrs. Roberts' plight?
(a) They offer to help her home with her groceries.
(b) They are all happy that none of them is married to her.
(c) They are embarrassed by her presence and ignore her.
(d) They all feel sorry for her and offer her money.
2. How has Daisy's return to town affected Jim Weston and Dave Carter?
(a) Dave Carter is distracted by her attention, but Jim Weston is ignoring her.
(b) Daisy's return to town has put a strain on their friendship.
(c) It has not affected them at all.
(d) Jim Weston is distracted by her attention, but Dave Carter is ignoring her.
3. Where is Jim Weston held until his trial?
(a) In Joe Clarke's barn.
(b) Under house arrest.
(c) In the store's cellar.
(d) In the church basement.
4. How do Jim Weston and Dave Carter react to Daisy's return?
(a) They are both too nervous to say anything.
(b) They immediately break into song.
(c) They begin to push and shove each other.
(d) They playfully criticize each other to try to impress Daisy.
5. Which of the following best describes the Baptist position on Jim Weston's guilt?
(a) They believe that he should be expelled from the town.
(b) They believe that he should be imprisoned for at least a year.
(c) They believe that he and Dave Carter should resolve the issue themselves.
(d) They believe that he is innocent and should be released.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Teets Miiller and Bootsie Pitts?
2. What complaint does Deacon Simms have about snakes?
3. On what errand does Joe Clarke send Lum Boger?
4. What complaint does Joe Clarke make about Lum Boger?
5. What does Daisy think of Jim Weston and Dave Carter's music?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do both Jim and Dave resent the townspeople's interference in their argument?
2. Describe Lum Boger's role as marshal.
3. How does Jim respond to the part of the crowd that throws him out of town?
4. Why does Deacon Simms get frustrated during his defense argument?
5. What is the setting of Act I?
6. About what do the men on the porch tease Teets and Bootsie? How do the girls respond?
7. Describe Daisy's reaction to Dave's and Jim's fight.
8. Why is Lum Boger unable to testify about the fight between Dave and Jim?
9. What does the crowd on the porch suggest to Dave and Jim about Daisy's intentions, and how do the men respond?
10. What comments do Sisters Taylor and Thomas have about Joe Clarke when he approaches them on his way to the trial?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)