|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men at the store begin to talk about after Jim Weston and Dave Carter arrive?
(a) They go back to arguing about whether the town needs a jail.
(b) They return to talking about the town's snake problem.
(c) They talk about the weather and how it will affect the harvest.
(d) They talk about who will win Daisy's heart.
2. What game are the children playing in front of the store?
(b) Chick-me, chick-me, cranie-crow.
(c) Red rover.
3. What evidence does Joe Clarke offer to support his accusation of JIm Weston?
(a) He says he just looks like the type of guy who would do such a thing.
(b) He says he always behaves suspiciously.
(c) He says he has heard that he buries a lot of feathers in his back yard.
(d) He says he has seen odd-shaped bulges in his coat pockets.
4. Which of the following best describes Sister Taylor's position about Daisy's involvement in the fight between Jim Weston and Dave Carter?
(a) Sister Taylor believes that Daisy caused it by showing off and teasing the men.
(b) Sister Taylor believes that Daisy is innocent; it is not her fault that men find her attractive.
(c) Sister Taylor believes that the two men would fight about any girl.
(d) Sister Taylor believes that men are responsible for their own actions.
5. What does Dave Carter do after Jim Weston hits him?
(a) Staggers away, supported by Joe Clarke and Deacon Simms.
(b) Shakes his head and walks back out of town.
(c) Staggers away, supported by Daisy.
(d) Falls unconscious.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joe Clarke chase away the children who are playing in front of the store?
2. What draws Joe Clarke's attention to Jim Weston and Dave Carter's fight?
3. What explanation does Deacon Lindsay give to explain why he doesn't want to talk to Sister Taylor?
4. With what does Jim Weston hit Dave Carter?
5. On whose side is Joe Clarke in the matter of Jim Weston?
Short Essay Questions
1. What examples in Act 3 reveal Daisy's manipulative side?
2. Why do both Jim and Dave resent the townspeople's interference in their argument?
3. What excuse does Dave offer to prove that he is not on his way to visit Daisy?
4. How do the women's attitudes toward Daisy differ from the men's?
5. How do Jim and Dave react to the squabbling among the people at the trial?
6. How do Dave and Jim compete for Daisy's affections in Act 3?
7. Why is Lum Boger unable to testify about the fight between Dave and Jim?
8. Describe the men's reaction to Deacon Simms' arrival.
9. What reason does Sister Thomas give to support why they should all testify for Jim at the trial?
10. How does Jim react to meeting Daisy as she is on her way back to town?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)