|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sister Taylor say she would do with Daisy if she were her mother?
(a) She says she would send her back North to get her away from the men.
(b) She says she would beat her for acting like a tramp.
(c) She says she would not allow her out of the house.
(d) She says she would put her out of the house and let her support herself.
2. How do Sisters Taylor and Thomas greet Joe Clarke when he arrives at the trial?
(a) They ask to pray with him for a peaceful resolution to the trial.
(b) They criticize him for taking the Baptist side of the argument.
(c) They wish him luck.
(d) They ignore him and do not speak to him at all.
3. What does Deacon Simms say he will use as his legal reference during the trial?
(a) He says he will use the evidence and let that speak for itself.
(b) He says he will use his own legal knowledge and experience.
(c) He says he will use the Bible, from beginning to end.
(d) He says he will use the law books that he borrowed from the library.
4. What explanation does Sister Thomas offer to explain Joe Clarke's decisions regarding the trial?
(a) She says he knows that no one else will step up to take the leadership role.
(b) She says Joe Clarke resents Jim Weston and is looking for an excuse to get him out of town.
(c) She says Joe Clarke is using the trial to challenge Deacon Simms.
(d) She says he sees it as his responsibility as mayor.
5. Why does Jim Weston jump up to fight Dave Carter in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Dave Carter steps on his foot when he leaves the store.
(b) He is jealous and wants to fight for Daisy's love.
(c) His pride is hurt and he wants to fight to defend his honor.
(d) He think that Dave Carter is laughing at him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Jim Weston held until his trial?
2. What does Deacon Simms discuss after he moves beyond the subject of snakes?
3. Why does Joe Clarke tell Marshal Lum Boger to save the mule bone?
4. What does Dave Carter do while Jim Weston plays music?
5. How do Jim Weston and Dave Carter react to Daisy's return?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Jim's and Dave's attitudes toward Daisy change at the end of Act 3?
2. What examples in Act 3 reveal Daisy's manipulative side?
3. How do the men of the town suggest that Mrs. Roberts be dealt with?
4. What kind of relationship does Daisy seem to have with her mother?
5. What does the description of the Baptist church details suggest about the congregation?
6. How do the Methodists and Baptists continue their argument into Act 3?
7. Why do both Jim and Dave resent the townspeople's interference in their argument?
8. Describe Joe Clarke's treatment of Lum Boger.
9. Describe Daisy's reaction to Dave's and Jim's fight.
10. How do the women's attitudes toward Daisy differ from the men's?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)