|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which two characters are the first to speak in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Jim Weston and Joe Clarke
(b) Teets Miller and Bootsie Pitts
(c) Sister Lucy Taylor and Sister Thomas
(d) Sister Jane Babler and Sister James
2. Why does Sister Taylor doubt that the girl's mother will influence the girl?
(a) She says the girl's mother does not behave any better than the daughter.
(b) She knows that the girl only listens to her father.
(c) She says that a child that mean will not listen to anyone.
(d) She knows that the mother tries but has no control over the daughter.
3. What does Daisy think of Jim Weston and Dave Carter's music?
(a) She likes it.
(b) She is not really interested in music.
(c) She refuses to comment.
(d) She does not like the kind of music they play.
4. What explanation does Deacon Lindsay give to explain why he doesn't want to talk to Sister Taylor?
(a) He says she is too ugly.
(b) She is a Baptist and he does not speak to Baptists.
(c) He heard that she has been gossiping about him.
(d) He is too busy and on his way to work.
5. Which of the following best describes the exchange between Sister Taylor and Deacon Lindsay?
(a) Their exchange leads to improved relations between both sides.
(b) They criticize each other and threaten to fight.
(c) They say little, but they exchange vicious glances.
(d) They playfully tease each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. What explanation does Sister Thomas offer to explain Joe Clarke's decisions regarding the trial?
2. Which of the following best describes Teets Miiller and Bootsie Pitts?
3. What assurance does Deacon Simms give Sisters Taylor and Thomas?
4. How does Dave Carter react to Jim Weston's anger?
5. Why does Sister Jones say she won't testify for Jim Weston?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jim respond to the part of the crowd that throws him out of town?
2. Describe the interaction between Sister Taylor and the children.
3. Why are the men all interested in the hock bone that Joe Lindsay brings to the store?
4. Why does Jim turn his back on Daisy after she offers him a job and a place to go?
5. How do the different congregations react when the participants of the trial enter?
6. How does Joe Clarke defend his decision to oversee the trial?
7. Why does Deacon Simms get frustrated during his defense argument?
8. Describe Lum Boger's role as marshal.
9. What do the other characters think of Mrs. Roberts?
10. Describe Daisy's reaction to the accusation that she has come between Dave and Jim.
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)