|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sister Taylor say she would do with Daisy if she were her mother?
(a) She says she would send her back North to get her away from the men.
(b) She says she would put her out of the house and let her support herself.
(c) She says she would not allow her out of the house.
(d) She says she would beat her for acting like a tramp.
2. How do Sisters Taylor and Thomas greet Joe Clarke when he arrives at the trial?
(a) They criticize him for taking the Baptist side of the argument.
(b) They wish him luck.
(c) They ask to pray with him for a peaceful resolution to the trial.
(d) They ignore him and do not speak to him at all.
3. How do the children react to Sister Taylor's reprimands?
(a) They apologize and head home.
(b) They quiet down, but continue with their fighting after she leaves.
(c) They tease her and shake themselves at her.
(d) They say nothing, but look sheepish and wander away.
4. According to Sister Taylor, what will be the cause of the next trial?
(a) Deacon Lindsay will be on trial for beating a woman.
(b) She will be on trial for beating some of the Baptists.
(c) Daisy will be on trial for causing all of the turmoil in town.
(d) She will be on trial for beating other people's children.
5. Why does the store owner at first refuse to give Mrs. Roberts the meat that she asks for?
(a) The meat is not very good quality.
(b) He is afraid of Mr. Roberts, who has warned him against giving food to her.
(c) He believes that she has enough food.
(d) They have a longstanding feud.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Sisters Taylor and Thomas respond to Reverend Childers' greeting?
2. With what does Jim Weston hit Dave Carter?
3. Why does Daisy return to the store in Act 1, Scene 1?
4. Who orders Jim' Weston's arrest?
5. What does Sister Taylor do to end the argument with the sassy young girl?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the suggestion of saying a prayer before beginning the trial feed the conflict among the people at the trial?
2. How does Jim respond to the part of the crowd that throws him out of town?
3. Why are the men all interested in the hock bone that Joe Lindsay brings to the store?
4. How do the men of the town suggest that Mrs. Roberts be dealt with?
5. Describe Lum Boger's role as marshal.
6. In Act III, why does Daisy threaten to leave after Dave arrives at the train tracks?
7. According to Sister Thomas, why is Joe Clarke siding with the Baptists in the fight over Jim's trial?
8. Why does Daisy refuse to follow Jim and wander on without direction in Act 3?
9. Describe Reverend Childers' successful prosecution argument. How does he convince Joe Clarke that Jim is guilty of assault with a weapon?
10. What do the women think about Daisy's mother's reaction to the trial?
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)