|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Daisy respond to the question of whether she prefers Jim Weston or Dave Carter?
(a) She will not say who she would choose.
(b) She says that she is not interested in either.
(c) She says she prefers Dave Carter.
(d) She says she prefers Jim Weston.
2. What does Dave Carter buy for Daisy?
(a) Cotton candy.
(b) An ice cream cone.
(c) Some kettle corn.
(d) A red soda.
3. What complaint does Joe Clarke make about Lum Boger?
(a) He says he walks too slowly.
(b) He says he is disrespectful.
(c) He says he is "dumb as a stump."
(d) He says he is lazy.
4. According to Sister Taylor, what will ruin a person's eyesight?
(a) Reading without enough light.
(b) Gossiping about neighbors.
(c) Handling a mule bone.
(d) Having one's eye teeth pulled out.
5. Which of the following best describes the exchange between Sister Taylor and Deacon Lindsay?
(a) They say little, but they exchange vicious glances.
(b) They playfully tease each other.
(c) Their exchange leads to improved relations between both sides.
(d) They criticize each other and threaten to fight.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Deacon Simms, why does the town need a jail?
2. As the evening progresses, what games do the men on the porch play?
3. What does Sister Taylor suggest that changes Sister Jones' mind about testifying?
4. Who places Jim Weston under arrest?
5. From which mule did the bone originally come?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comments do Sisters Taylor and Thomas have about Joe Clarke when he approaches them on his way to the trial?
2. Describe the relationship between Joe Clarke and his wife.
3. Why do both Jim and Dave resent the townspeople's interference in their argument?
4. Describe the interaction between Sister Taylor and the children.
5. How does Mrs. Thomas' show herself to be hypocrite with her response to Mrs. Blunt's request?
6. Why are the men all interested in the hock bone that Joe Lindsay brings to the store?
7. What reason does Sister Thomas give to support why they should all testify for Jim at the trial?
8. What excuse does Dave offer to prove that he is not on his way to visit Daisy?
9. Why does Jim come to the conclusion that Dave was on his way to visit Daisy?
10. Describe Elder Simms' attitude toward the people of the town.
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)