|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What evidence does Sister Taylor provide to prove that her husband is good to her?
(a) He brings home plenty of money.
(b) He listens to her when she has a problem.
(c) He brings her flowers for no reason.
(d) He is a good father to their children.
2. What Bible does Reverend Childers end up using?
(a) Joe Clarke forces Deacon Simms to share his Bible.
(b) He returns to his home to get his own Bible.
(c) He uses the church Bible from the pulpit.
(d) One of the Baptists in the crowd shares his Bible with him.
3. Why does Dave Carter insist that no one in town has any right to determine Jim Weston's punishment?
(a) No one in town has any legal power.
(b) Jim Weston hit Dave Carter, so no one else but Dave should have anything to say about it.
(c) None of the people in town know anything about the law anyway.
(d) Jim Weston has been tried once; they cannot try him again.
4. Jim Weston accuses Daisy of hurrying back to town to do what?
(a) He believes that she is trying to reach home before dark.
(b) To meet up with Dave Carter.
(c) To get away from him.
(d) He believes that she has finally chosen him over Dave Carter.
5. Where do Daisy and Jim Weston plan to go?
(a) They plan to go back into town.
(b) They are going to move to Maitland.
(c) They plan to go to Daisy's mother's house.
(d) They do not know where they are going.
6. Deacon Simms accuses Dave Carter of what?
(a) Of lying to Jim Weston about his injuries.
(b) Of stealing Daisy away from Jim Weston.
(c) Of feeling jealous of Jim Weston.
(d) Of living an unclean life.
7. What does Daisy threaten to do when both Jim Weston and Dave Carter try to hug her?
(a) She threatens to leave them both and go back to work.
(b) She threatens to leave town and return to the North.
(c) She threatens to go to her mother's house and leave them standing along the railroad.
(d) She threatens to find another man who will appreciate her.
8. How do Jim Weston and Dave Carter express their love for Daisy?
(a) They recite poetry that they have dedicated to her.
(b) They both sing songs that they have written for her.
(c) They arm wrestle for her.
(d) They try to outdo each other with extremes of what they would do for her.
9. Why does Jim Weston pull Daisy down to sit on the tracks with him?
(a) He just wants her to sit with him.
(b) He wants to kiss her.
(c) He is trying to comfort her.
(d) He wants to talk to her.
10. What evidence does Sister Hambo provide to prove that she is telling the truth?
(a) Everyone in town knows that she always tells the truth.
(b) She belongs to Macedonia Baptist Church and cannot lie.
(c) She has six children, and they are all as honest as she is.
(d) She swears on her mother's grave that she is telling the truth.
11. How do the Baptists respond to Jim Weston entering the church?
(a) They cheer him and shout words of encouragement.
(b) The whisper about him as he walks up the aisle.
(c) In unison, they all turn their backs on him.
(d) They taunt him with chicken and rooster calls.
12. What argument does Deacon Simms use to defend Jim Weston?
(a) He says that according to white law and the Bible, a mule bone is not a weapon.
(b) He says that Jim was full of rage and did not realize what he was doing.
(c) He says that it was an innocent disagreement between friends, but not a crime.
(d) He says that Jim was simply defending himself from Dave's angry tirade.
13. Where does Dave Carter suggest that Jim Weston should go at the end of Act 3?
(a) Follow the train tracks into Georgia.
(b) Follow Daisy.
(c) Back to town.
(d) To Maitland.
14. Why does Joe Clarke get frustrated with Lum Boger?
(a) He is sitting with the defendant.
(b) He has not shown up for the trial yet.
(c) He blames him for forgetting the gavel.
(d) He has not quited the crowd.
15. What does Reverend Childers present as evidence against Jim Weston in the trial?
(a) He uses Jim Weston's own confession against him.
(b) He presents the biblical story of Sampson and the Philistines.
(c) He cites the rumor that Jim Weston has been stealing chickens.
(d) He uses the testimony of witnesses to prove that the beating was violent.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Jim Weston, how much does he love Daisy?
2. What does Dave Carter say he got enough of on Saturday night (the night of the fight)?
3. What does everyone believe has happened when the church bell begins to toll?
4. According to Reverend Childers, what is the most dangerous weapon in the world?
5. What does Jim Weston take with him as he leaves town?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)