|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Joe Clarke respond to Mrs. Nixon's accusation that he mistreats his wife and sells rancid bacon?
(a) He says she will not be allowed to buy anything else from the store until she pays back the money she owes.
(b) He bangs his gavel and calls for order.
(c) He says she smells like a nest of yellow hammers.
(d) He says everyone knows that she lies, so he is not concerned.
2. Why does Jim Weston think that the "mess and stink" was all for nothing?
(a) He and Dave Carter both know that it was just a fight; he didn't mean to really hurt him
(b) He knows that he has nothing more to live for.
(c) He has been kicked out of town, and now he has nothing left.
(d) He realizes that the town is consumed with religious zealotry.
3. Hambo accuses Deacon Simms of telling what lie?
(a) That Dave Carter has another girlfriend in another town, but it is untrue.
(b) That Dave Carter stepped on Jim Weston's foot on purpose, but it was an accident.
(c) That Jim Weston's father was run out of town, but he was lynched by white people.
(d) That Joe Clarke sells stale bread, and Hambo defends him.
4. What Bible does Reverend Childers end up using?
(a) He uses the church Bible from the pulpit.
(b) One of the Baptists in the crowd shares his Bible with him.
(c) Joe Clarke forces Deacon Simms to share his Bible.
(d) He returns to his home to get his own Bible.
5. Who receives the applause from the Methodist side of the church?
(a) Reverend Childers.
(b) Deacon Simms.
(c) Joe Clarke.
(d) Joe Lindsay.
6. On the charge of assault and battery, how does Jim Weston plead?
(a) He says he is sorry and pleads guilty.
(b) He says he did it and would do it again, but he's not guilty.
(c) He says he is sorry that he did it, but he is not guilty.
(d) He says he did not do it and is not guilty.
7. Where does Jim Weston plan to go when he gets up to leave after sitting on the railroad tracks?
(a) He plans to follow the tracks into Georgia.
(b) He plans to go to Maitland.
(c) He plans to go right back into town.
(d) He has no idea where he will go.
8. What does Reverend Childers present as evidence against Jim Weston in the trial?
(a) He presents the biblical story of Sampson and the Philistines.
(b) He uses the testimony of witnesses to prove that the beating was violent.
(c) He cites the rumor that Jim Weston has been stealing chickens.
(d) He uses Jim Weston's own confession against him.
9. Why does Jim Weston pull Daisy down to sit on the tracks with him?
(a) He wants to kiss her.
(b) He is trying to comfort her.
(c) He wants to talk to her.
(d) He just wants her to sit with him.
10. What evidence does Sister Hambo provide to prove that she is telling the truth?
(a) She has six children, and they are all as honest as she is.
(b) She swears on her mother's grave that she is telling the truth.
(c) Everyone in town knows that she always tells the truth.
(d) She belongs to Macedonia Baptist Church and cannot lie.
11. What other forgotten item does Lum Boger bring back to the trial?
(a) The Bible.
(b) The legal documents.
(c) The mule bone.
(d) The defendant.
12. Why is the church bell rung?
(a) Hambo rings the bell as a way of ushering Jim Weston out of town.
(b) Lum Boger rings the bell to signal the beginning of the trial.
(c) It was an accident; someone fell and grabbed the rope.
(d) Deacon Simms rings the bell to draw attention to his client's case.
13. How does Daisy respond when Dave Carter and Jim Weston both choose their music over a life with her?
(a) She shakes her fist at them and calls them names.
(b) She laughs at first because she thinks they are joking.
(c) She sniffs at them and stomps off toward home.
(d) She slowly walks back toward the town from which she had come.
14. What is Jim Weston's sentence for his crime?
(a) Two years of exile from the town.
(b) Community service.
(c) Two years of hard labor.
(d) Two months imprisoned in the barn.
15. What evidence does Sister Taylor provide to prove that her husband is good to her?
(a) He brings her flowers for no reason.
(b) He is a good father to their children.
(c) He listens to her when she has a problem.
(d) He brings home plenty of money.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Joe Clarke try to quiet the crowd when he enters the church?
2. Which would Daisy rather be, a lark flying or a dove setting?
3. Deacon Simms accuses Dave Carter of what?
4. What excuse does Daisy give Dave Carter to explain why she has not chosen him?
5. How does Brother Nixon respond to Sister Lewis' chastisement?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)