|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sister Taylor suggest that Sister Lewis should do for her daughter?
(a) She should get her some new clothes so she does not have to wear sack cloth.
(b) She should get her buck teeth fixed.
(c) She should teach her how to properly wash herself.
(d) She should get the sheriff to make one of her many boyfriends marry her.
2. According to Reverend Childers, why is an ass bone close to a mule bone?
(a) Both are single-hoofed animals, so they must be in the same family.
(b) The skeletons of the animals are basically the same.
(c) An ass is a mule's father, so the mule is related to the ass.
(d) They both have large ears, so they must be similar.
3. How much time would Dave Carter do on a chain gang in order to prove his love for Daisy?
(a) Twenty years.
(c) Fifty years.
(d) Forty years.
4. What evidence does Sister Hambo provide to prove that she is telling the truth?
(a) She has six children, and they are all as honest as she is.
(b) She swears on her mother's grave that she is telling the truth.
(c) Everyone in town knows that she always tells the truth.
(d) She belongs to Macedonia Baptist Church and cannot lie.
5. How do the women react when Lum Boger comes back to quiet them?
(a) They quiet down for a bit.
(b) They threaten him and warn him not to come near them.
(c) They apologize and quickly quiet down.
(d) They ignore him.
6. What Bible does Reverend Childers end up using?
(a) He uses the church Bible from the pulpit.
(b) He returns to his home to get his own Bible.
(c) One of the Baptists in the crowd shares his Bible with him.
(d) Joe Clarke forces Deacon Simms to share his Bible.
7. What does everyone believe has happened when the church bell begins to toll?
(a) Everone believes that Jim Weston has been cleared of the charges.
(b) Everyone believes that the trial is about to begin.
(c) Everyone thinks that Dave Carter has died from his injuries.
(d) Everyone believes that Jim Weston has been convicted and sentenced.
8. To prove his love for Daisy, how much time would Jim Weston do on a chain gang?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Forty years.
(c) Fifty years.
9. What will Jim Weston do to support himself and Daisy?
(a) He thinks that she should work and support them both.
(b) He plans to play music, but he no longer has anyone to sing and dance with.
(c) He hopes to get a job as a yard man.
(d) He hopes to open his own general store.
10. What does Daisy suggest Jim Weston can do for a living after they get married?
(a) She suggests that he become a yard man and give up the guitar.
(b) She suggests that he can become a waiter in Maitland.
(c) She suggests that he will make plenty of money as a guitar player.
(d) She assures him that she will make enough to support them both.
11. According to Jim Weston, what kind of man does Daisy need?
(a) A man who does not mind being lied to.
(b) A man who does not mind being bossed.
(c) A man who does not mind working hard and getting up early.
(d) A man who will keep her in line.
12. What accusation do the Methodists hurl at Dave Carter when he enters the church?
(a) They believe that he started the fight and deserved what he got.
(b) They belive that he just wants to cause trouble in town.
(c) They believe that he has stolen Joe Clarke's chickens.
(d) They believe that he is faking his injury, trying to look hurt.
13. Who else did Daisy visit on the same day that she visited Dave Carter?
(a) Daisy also visited Joe Clarke.
(b) Daisy also visited Jim Weston in the barn.
(c) Daisy also visited Hambo.
(d) Daisy also visited Lum Boger and brought him lunch.
14. What does Reverend Childers present as evidence against Jim Weston in the trial?
(a) He uses Jim Weston's own confession against him.
(b) He cites the rumor that Jim Weston has been stealing chickens.
(c) He presents the biblical story of Sampson and the Philistines.
(d) He uses the testimony of witnesses to prove that the beating was violent.
15. What argument does Deacon Simms use to defend Jim Weston?
(a) He says that it was an innocent disagreement between friends, but not a crime.
(b) He says that according to white law and the Bible, a mule bone is not a weapon.
(c) He says that Jim was full of rage and did not realize what he was doing.
(d) He says that Jim was simply defending himself from Dave's angry tirade.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dave Carter wearing when he enters the church?
2. Why does Joe Clarke get frustrated with Lum Boger?
3. How does Jim Weston react when Daisy puts her hand on his arm to comfort him?
4. What is Jim Weston's sentence for his crime?
5. Why does Deacon Simms refuse to allow Reverend Childers to use his Bible?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)