|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jim Weston pull Daisy down to sit on the tracks with him?
(a) He wants to kiss her.
(b) He just wants her to sit with him.
(c) He wants to talk to her.
(d) He is trying to comfort her.
2. According to the characters at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2, how are Reverend Childers and Deacon Simms different?
(a) Reverend Childers has been to college.
(b) Deacon Simms has more formal education.
(c) Reverend Childers does not believe in baptism.
(d) Deacon Simms is unmarried.
3. How does Lum Boger respond to the women's reactions when he comes back to quiet them?
(a) He stands next to them and glares at them.
(b) He gets angry and begins to yell at them.
(c) He grumbles under his breath and kicks their chairs.
(d) He meekly returns to his seat next to Jim Weston.
4. What is Dave Carter wearing when he enters the church?
(a) A cast on his arm.
(b) A large black hat.
(c) A neck brace.
(d) A bandage on his head.
5. Which would Daisy rather be, a lark flying or a dove setting?
(a) A dove.
(b) Daisy does not want to be a bird.
(c) A lark.
(d) Daisy would rather be a dove flying.
6. What does everyone believe has happened when the church bell begins to toll?
(a) Everyone believes that Jim Weston has been convicted and sentenced.
(b) Everyone thinks that Dave Carter has died from his injuries.
(c) Everone believes that Jim Weston has been cleared of the charges.
(d) Everyone believes that the trial is about to begin.
7. What will Jim Weston do to support himself and Daisy?
(a) He hopes to get a job as a yard man.
(b) He thinks that she should work and support them both.
(c) He plans to play music, but he no longer has anyone to sing and dance with.
(d) He hopes to open his own general store.
8. How do the Baptists respond to Jim Weston entering the church?
(a) They taunt him with chicken and rooster calls.
(b) They cheer him and shout words of encouragement.
(c) In unison, they all turn their backs on him.
(d) The whisper about him as he walks up the aisle.
9. How does Joe Clarke respond to Mrs. Nixon's accusation that he mistreats his wife and sells rancid bacon?
(a) He says she will not be allowed to buy anything else from the store until she pays back the money she owes.
(b) He says everyone knows that she lies, so he is not concerned.
(c) He says she smells like a nest of yellow hammers.
(d) He bangs his gavel and calls for order.
10. How does Daisy respond to Jim's anger over her visit with Dave Carter?
(a) She turns on her heel and walks away.
(b) She apologizes and begs for his forgiveness.
(c) She gets angry and yells at him.
(d) She begins to cry and says she was just being nice.
11. According to Reverend Childers, why is an ass bone close to a mule bone?
(a) An ass is a mule's father, so the mule is related to the ass.
(b) They both have large ears, so they must be similar.
(c) The skeletons of the animals are basically the same.
(d) Both are single-hoofed animals, so they must be in the same family.
12. What reason is given to support the idea of the Baptist minister leading the prayer before trial?
(a) The trial is in his church, so he should say the prayer.
(b) Joe Clarke is a Baptist, and he is acting as the judge.
(c) The Baptists say better prayers that the Methodists.
(d) The Baptist minister has more formal education.
13. When did Jim Weston tell Daisy that he could kiss her every day ("as regular as pig-tracks")?
(a) Just before the fight.
(b) When they were children.
(c) Right before the trial.
(d) Before she moved up North.
14. How does Brother Nixon respond to Sister Lewis' chastisement?
(a) He apologizes and then sits quietly.
(b) He pretends that he cannot hear her.
(c) He looks at her innocently and pretends that he has done nothing.
(d) He mocks her and shakes himself at her.
15. What is the setting of Act 3?
(a) Near Maitland at sundown.
(b) Near sunrise along the railroad tracks outside of town.
(c) Near sundown along the railroad tracks outside of town.
(d) At sunrise near Maitland.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Jim Weston and Dave Carter express their love for Daisy?
2. According to Jim Weston, what kind of man does Daisy need?
3. What evidence does Sister Hambo provide to prove that she is telling the truth?
4. What clue in their verbal competition for Daisy suggests that Dave Carter and Jim Weston have put aside their differences?
5. Who defends herself by saying that everyone's house has some bedbugs and lice?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)