|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Lige Mosely, why should a Baptist be afraid to go swimming?
(a) Their heads are harder than rocks, so they would drown.
(b) They do not like to bathe, and swimming is a lot like bathing.
(c) Baptists do not know how to swim.
(d) Baptists only go into the water for baptism.
2. What accusation do the Methodists hurl at Dave Carter when he enters the church?
(a) They believe that he is faking his injury, trying to look hurt.
(b) They believe that he has stolen Joe Clarke's chickens.
(c) They believe that he started the fight and deserved what he got.
(d) They belive that he just wants to cause trouble in town.
3. According to Reverend Childers, why is an ass bone close to a mule bone?
(a) The skeletons of the animals are basically the same.
(b) They both have large ears, so they must be similar.
(c) An ass is a mule's father, so the mule is related to the ass.
(d) Both are single-hoofed animals, so they must be in the same family.
4. What did Daisy do for Dave Carter the day before the trial?
(a) Daisy brought him some fresh strawberries.
(b) Daisy washed and ironed his clothes for him.
(c) Daisy rubbed his head for him.
(d) Daisy made him a lunch plate.
5. What does Daisy say to Jim Weston in Act 3 that changes his mood?
(a) She has come to town to find out about the trial.
(b) She wants him to come live with her and her mother.
(c) She has found another man and is going to live with him in the North.
(d) On the night of the fight, she had come to town to see him.
6. What does Sister Pitt suggest they must do before the trial begins?
(a) Read the charges.
(b) Call a formal list of witnesses.
(c) Sing a hymn.
(d) Start with a prayer.
7. How does Jim Weston react when Daisy puts her hand on his arm to comfort him?
(a) He leans into her and puts his head on her shoulder.
(b) He jumps as if she has jabbed him with a hot poker.
(c) He puts his hand on hers and looks into her eyes.
(d) He shakes her hand off and accuses her of being against him.
8. What Bible does Reverend Childers end up using?
(a) Joe Clarke forces Deacon Simms to share his Bible.
(b) He returns to his home to get his own Bible.
(c) He uses the church Bible from the pulpit.
(d) One of the Baptists in the crowd shares his Bible with him.
9. What does Jim Weston do as he sits alone on the railroad tracks?
(a) He closes his eyes and rests for a moment.
(b) He says a prayer and asks for direction.
(c) He plays a couple of songs on his guitar.
(d) He contemplates suicide.
10. What evidence does Sister Hambo provide to prove that she is telling the truth?
(a) She swears on her mother's grave that she is telling the truth.
(b) She has six children, and they are all as honest as she is.
(c) Everyone in town knows that she always tells the truth.
(d) She belongs to Macedonia Baptist Church and cannot lie.
11. What does Jim Weston take with him as he leaves town?
(a) His guitar and a handkerchief that Daisy made for him.
(b) His guitar and jacket.
(c) His guitar and a picture of him and Dave Carter.
(d) A small suitcase and his guitar.
12. What reason is given to support the idea of the Methodist minister leading the prayer?
(a) The Methodists say better prayers than the Baptists.
(b) Dave Carter is a Methodist, so his preacher should say the prayer.
(c) The Baptists started the trouble, so they have no business leading a prayer.
(d) The Methodist minister has more formal education.
13. How is Jim Weston escorted out of town?
(a) The Methodists are trying to throw him out of town, and the Baptists are trying to pull him back in.
(b) Joe Clarke marches him out of town with a crowd of angry people behind him.
(c) Lum Boger quietly walks him to edge of town and wishes him good luck.
(d) The Baptists are trying to throw him out of town, and the Methodists are trying to pull him back in.
14. How does Lum Boger respond to the women's reactions when he comes back to quiet them?
(a) He meekly returns to his seat next to Jim Weston.
(b) He grumbles under his breath and kicks their chairs.
(c) He gets angry and begins to yell at them.
(d) He stands next to them and glares at them.
15. Why does Daisy begin to cry when speaking to Jim Weston in Act 3?
(a) He threatens to leave her alone in the dark.
(b) He says he does not love her and he never really loved her.
(c) He says a woman cannot be trusted.
(d) He gets angry and slaps her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jim Weston respond to the Baptists' actions when he enters the church?
2. What does Sister Taylor suggest that Sister Lewis should do for her daughter?
3. What other forgotten item does Lum Boger bring back to the trial?
4. How does Sister Taylor defend herself when Joe Lindsay chastises her for arguing in church?
5. What does Jim Weston say that makes Daisy finally choose him over Dave Carter?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)