|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Jim Weston escorted out of town?
(a) The Methodists are trying to throw him out of town, and the Baptists are trying to pull him back in.
(b) Joe Clarke marches him out of town with a crowd of angry people behind him.
(c) Lum Boger quietly walks him to edge of town and wishes him good luck.
(d) The Baptists are trying to throw him out of town, and the Methodists are trying to pull him back in.
2. Where does Dave Carter suggest that Jim Weston should go at the end of Act 3?
(a) Back to town.
(b) Follow the train tracks into Georgia.
(c) Follow Daisy.
(d) To Maitland.
3. Sister Lewis chastises Brother Nixon for what offense?
(a) He hangs his coat on one of the church's empty lamp brackets.
(b) He let his cow get into her strawberry patch.
(c) He was talking during the trial, and she could not hear.
(d) He stepped over her without asking her pardon.
4. What is the setting of Act 3?
(a) Near Maitland at sundown.
(b) Near sunrise along the railroad tracks outside of town.
(c) At sunrise near Maitland.
(d) Near sundown along the railroad tracks outside of town.
5. Why is Daisy in a hurry when Jim Weston runs into her?
(a) She knows that her mother will be upset if she comes home late again.
(b) She is being pursued by a strange man.
(c) She has just left work and is coming to see how the trial turned out.
(d) She only has a few free minutes and has to hurry back to work.
6. How does Deacon Simms suggest that they end the trial?
(a) He says Jim Weston should be compensated for his mistreatment.
(b) He says Joe Clarke should be run out of town, and he himself should be mayor.
(c) He says everyone should apologize to Jim Weston and set him free.
(d) He says they should sing, dismiss, and all return to work.
7. Why does Dave Carter insist that no one in town has any right to determine Jim Weston's punishment?
(a) Jim Weston has been tried once; they cannot try him again.
(b) None of the people in town know anything about the law anyway.
(c) No one in town has any legal power.
(d) Jim Weston hit Dave Carter, so no one else but Dave should have anything to say about it.
8. What excuse does Daisy give Dave Carter to explain why she has not chosen him?
(a) She does not believe that he will ever give up singing and dancing.
(b) She cannot marry them both; she has to choose.
(c) He is less sincere than Jim Weston.
(d) He does not really need her.
9. What does Jim Weston pour out of his shoe?
10. What evidence does Sister Hambo provide to prove that she is telling the truth?
(a) She has six children, and they are all as honest as she is.
(b) She swears on her mother's grave that she is telling the truth.
(c) Everyone in town knows that she always tells the truth.
(d) She belongs to Macedonia Baptist Church and cannot lie.
11. How do Jim Weston and Dave Carter express their love for Daisy?
(a) They recite poetry that they have dedicated to her.
(b) They arm wrestle for her.
(c) They try to outdo each other with extremes of what they would do for her.
(d) They both sing songs that they have written for her.
12. How does Daisy respond when Dave Carter asks if she loves him?
(a) She does not answer, but plays coy and changes the subject.
(b) She takes his hand and just smiles at him.
(c) She shakes her head and grabs Jim Weston's hand.
(d) She responds with an enthusiastic yes and hangs on his neck.
13. Where do Daisy and Jim Weston plan to go?
(a) They are going to move to Maitland.
(b) They plan to go to Daisy's mother's house.
(c) They plan to go back into town.
(d) They do not know where they are going.
14. How does Jim Weston respond to the Baptists' actions when he enters the church?
(a) He threatens them with physical harm if they bother him.
(b) He tries to run out of the church and escape.
(c) He jumps over a church bench and punches one of them.
(d) He hangs his head and refuses to make eye contact with anyone.
15. What will Jim Weston do to support himself and Daisy?
(a) He plans to play music, but he no longer has anyone to sing and dance with.
(b) He hopes to open his own general store.
(c) He hopes to get a job as a yard man.
(d) He thinks that she should work and support them both.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Bible does Reverend Childers end up using?
2. What clue in their verbal competition for Daisy suggests that Dave Carter and Jim Weston have put aside their differences?
3. What does Dave Carter say he got enough of on Saturday night (the night of the fight)?
4. What evidence does Dave Carter present to prove that he is as clean as everybody else?
5. Who defends herself by saying that everyone's house has some bedbugs and lice?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)