|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the women react when Lum Boger comes back to quiet them?
(a) They threaten him and warn him not to come near them.
(b) They ignore him.
(c) They apologize and quickly quiet down.
(d) They quiet down for a bit.
2. What does Sister Pitt suggest they must do before the trial begins?
(a) Call a formal list of witnesses.
(b) Read the charges.
(c) Start with a prayer.
(d) Sing a hymn.
3. Why does Daisy refuse both Jim Weston and Dave Carter?
(a) She never really wanted either of them; she was just playing a game.
(b) She has found another man in Maitland who can take care of her better.
(c) She will not marry a man who does not want to work and earn a living.
(d) She is tired of seeing the friends fighting, so she decides to leave them alone.
4. How does Joe Clarke respond to Mrs. Nixon's accusation that he mistreats his wife and sells rancid bacon?
(a) He bangs his gavel and calls for order.
(b) He says she smells like a nest of yellow hammers.
(c) He says everyone knows that she lies, so he is not concerned.
(d) He says she will not be allowed to buy anything else from the store until she pays back the money she owes.
5. What order does Joe Clarke give to the people at the trial before they leave the church?
(a) He orders them to disperse quietly and return to their homes.
(b) He orders them to leave their neighbors alone and mind their own business.
(c) He orders them to help Lum Boger escort Jim Weston out of town.
(d) He orders them to leave church grounds before they begin to fight.
6. What does Jim Weston say that makes Daisy finally choose him over Dave Carter?
(a) He says he would buy her a train.
(b) He says he would give up his best friend for her.
(c) He says that he would jump off of an airplane just to walk with her.
(d) He says he truly loves her.
7. What problem do the Methodists have with the sermon that Reverend Childers preached on the day before the trial?
(a) His ideas are not supported by the Bible's teachings.
(b) The sermon lasted far too long.
(c) They accuse him of trying the case before the actual trial.
(d) The sermon was too sympathetic to Jim Weston's case.
8. What is Dave Carter wearing when he enters the church?
(a) A neck brace.
(b) A large black hat.
(c) A bandage on his head.
(d) A cast on his arm.
9. What is the setting of Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) 3 p.m. at the Macedonia Baptist Church.
(b) 3 p.m. at the United Methodist Church.
(c) Noon at the Macedonia Baptist Church.
(d) 4 p.m. at the United Methodist Church.
10. What does Daisy do after Jim Weston decides that he would rather have his freedom than marry her?
(a) She cries and begs him to change his mind.
(b) She turns to Dave Carter and offers him the same opportunity.
(c) She turns her nose up into the air and walks away.
(d) She nods her head in agreement.
11. What is missing when Joe Clarke tries to begin the trial?
(a) Dave Carter.
(b) The defendant.
(c) The gavel.
(d) The witnesses.
12. On the charge of assault and battery, how does Jim Weston plead?
(a) He says he is sorry that he did it, but he is not guilty.
(b) He says he is sorry and pleads guilty.
(c) He says he did not do it and is not guilty.
(d) He says he did it and would do it again, but he's not guilty.
13. What accusation do the Methodists hurl at Dave Carter when he enters the church?
(a) They believe that he has stolen Joe Clarke's chickens.
(b) They belive that he just wants to cause trouble in town.
(c) They believe that he is faking his injury, trying to look hurt.
(d) They believe that he started the fight and deserved what he got.
14. How do Jim Weston and Dave Carter express their love for Daisy?
(a) They try to outdo each other with extremes of what they would do for her.
(b) They both sing songs that they have written for her.
(c) They arm wrestle for her.
(d) They recite poetry that they have dedicated to her.
15. What clue in their verbal competition for Daisy suggests that Dave Carter and Jim Weston have put aside their differences?
(a) They put their arms around each other as they continue to banter.
(b) They talk about plans to continue playing their music.
(c) Nothing; they continue to battle for Daisy's love.
(d) They both laugh when Dave Carter says he would do life in prison for Daisy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Deacon Simms refuse to allow Reverend Childers to use his Bible?
2. Where do Daisy and Jim Weston plan to go?
3. Why is Daisy in a hurry when Jim Weston runs into her?
4. What does Sister Taylor suggest that Sister Lewis should do for her daughter?
5. Why does Joe Clarke get frustrated with Lum Boger?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)