|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Jim Weston and Dave Carter doing as the curtain falls?
(a) They are walking arm in arm on their way back into town.
(b) Jim Weston begins by humming a tune, and Dave Carter begins to sing the lyrics.
(c) Jim Weston is humming a tune, and Dave Carter is whistling the same tune.
(d) Jim Weston is playing his guitar, and Dave Carter is singing and dancing alongside.
2. On the charge of assault and battery, how does Jim Weston plead?
(a) He says he is sorry and pleads guilty.
(b) He says he did it and would do it again, but he's not guilty.
(c) He says he did not do it and is not guilty.
(d) He says he is sorry that he did it, but he is not guilty.
3. What does Jim Weston do as he sits alone on the railroad tracks?
(a) He closes his eyes and rests for a moment.
(b) He plays a couple of songs on his guitar.
(c) He contemplates suicide.
(d) He says a prayer and asks for direction.
4. What does Jim Weston pour out of his shoe?
5. When did Jim Weston tell Daisy that he could kiss her every day ("as regular as pig-tracks")?
(a) Just before the fight.
(b) Before she moved up North.
(c) Right before the trial.
(d) When they were children.
6. What does Daisy threaten to do when both Jim Weston and Dave Carter try to hug her?
(a) She threatens to find another man who will appreciate her.
(b) She threatens to go to her mother's house and leave them standing along the railroad.
(c) She threatens to leave town and return to the North.
(d) She threatens to leave them both and go back to work.
7. According to Lige Mosely, why should a Baptist be afraid to go swimming?
(a) Their heads are harder than rocks, so they would drown.
(b) Baptists do not know how to swim.
(c) They do not like to bathe, and swimming is a lot like bathing.
(d) Baptists only go into the water for baptism.
8. Hambo accuses Deacon Simms of telling what lie?
(a) That Joe Clarke sells stale bread, and Hambo defends him.
(b) That Dave Carter has another girlfriend in another town, but it is untrue.
(c) That Dave Carter stepped on Jim Weston's foot on purpose, but it was an accident.
(d) That Jim Weston's father was run out of town, but he was lynched by white people.
9. What evidence does Dave Carter present to prove that he is as clean as everybody else?
(a) He lets Reverend Childers check for dirt behind his ears.
(b) He says he goes swimming nearly every day.
(c) He sniffs under his arm and declares himself clean.
(d) He says he has had a bath that very day.
10. Why does Jim Weston pull Daisy down to sit on the tracks with him?
(a) He wants to talk to her.
(b) He just wants her to sit with him.
(c) He wants to kiss her.
(d) He is trying to comfort her.
11. According to Reverend Childers, what is the most dangerous weapon in the world?
(a) A flirtatious woman.
(b) The jealousy of a man in love.
(c) The anger of one friend toward another.
(d) The hock bone of a mule.
12. What argument does Deacon Simms use to defend Jim Weston?
(a) He says that Jim was simply defending himself from Dave's angry tirade.
(b) He says that according to white law and the Bible, a mule bone is not a weapon.
(c) He says that it was an innocent disagreement between friends, but not a crime.
(d) He says that Jim was full of rage and did not realize what he was doing.
13. Where does Daisy suggest she and Jim Weston live after they get married?
(a) In town, with her mother.
(b) It does not matter.
(c) In Maitland, at her employer's farm.
(d) In another state.
14. What reason is given to support the idea of the Baptist minister leading the prayer before trial?
(a) Joe Clarke is a Baptist, and he is acting as the judge.
(b) The trial is in his church, so he should say the prayer.
(c) The Baptists say better prayers that the Methodists.
(d) The Baptist minister has more formal education.
15. According to the characters at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2, how are Reverend Childers and Deacon Simms different?
(a) Reverend Childers has been to college.
(b) Deacon Simms has more formal education.
(c) Reverend Childers does not believe in baptism.
(d) Deacon Simms is unmarried.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Daisy say to Jim Weston in Act 3 that changes his mood?
2. What clue in their verbal competition for Daisy suggests that Dave Carter and Jim Weston have put aside their differences?
3. How does Jim Weston react when a person from the mob throws something at him?
4. How does Joe Clarke respond to Mrs. Nixon's accusation that he mistreats his wife and sells rancid bacon?
5. What does everyone believe has happened when the church bell begins to toll?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)