|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Deacon Simms accuses Dave Carter of what?
(a) Of living an unclean life.
(b) Of stealing Daisy away from Jim Weston.
(c) Of lying to Jim Weston about his injuries.
(d) Of feeling jealous of Jim Weston.
2. What is the setting of Act 3?
(a) Near sunrise along the railroad tracks outside of town.
(b) Near Maitland at sundown.
(c) Near sundown along the railroad tracks outside of town.
(d) At sunrise near Maitland.
3. According to Jim Weston, what kind of man does Daisy need?
(a) A man who does not mind being lied to.
(b) A man who does not mind being bossed.
(c) A man who does not mind working hard and getting up early.
(d) A man who will keep her in line.
4. According to Jim Weston, how much does he love Daisy?
(a) As much as a mother bear loves her cub.
(b) As much as God loves his best angel, Gabriel.
(c) So much that he is about to explode.
(d) So much that he would eat a live scorpion for her.
5. What does Daisy say to Jim Weston in Act 3 that changes his mood?
(a) She has come to town to find out about the trial.
(b) She wants him to come live with her and her mother.
(c) She has found another man and is going to live with him in the North.
(d) On the night of the fight, she had come to town to see him.
6. Who else did Daisy visit on the same day that she visited Dave Carter?
(a) Daisy also visited Jim Weston in the barn.
(b) Daisy also visited Joe Clarke.
(c) Daisy also visited Lum Boger and brought him lunch.
(d) Daisy also visited Hambo.
7. What does Reverend Childers present as evidence against Jim Weston in the trial?
(a) He uses Jim Weston's own confession against him.
(b) He cites the rumor that Jim Weston has been stealing chickens.
(c) He presents the biblical story of Sampson and the Philistines.
(d) He uses the testimony of witnesses to prove that the beating was violent.
8. What does Jim Weston do as he sits alone on the railroad tracks?
(a) He closes his eyes and rests for a moment.
(b) He says a prayer and asks for direction.
(c) He contemplates suicide.
(d) He plays a couple of songs on his guitar.
9. Who defends herself by saying that everyone's house has some bedbugs and lice?
(a) Sister Taylor.
(b) Sister Hambo.
(c) Sister Thomas.
(d) Sister Lewis.
10. Who receives the applause from the Methodist side of the church?
(a) Joe Lindsay.
(b) Reverend Childers.
(c) Joe Clarke.
(d) Deacon Simms.
11. What does Jim Weston take with him as he leaves town?
(a) A small suitcase and his guitar.
(b) His guitar and a handkerchief that Daisy made for him.
(c) His guitar and a picture of him and Dave Carter.
(d) His guitar and jacket.
12. What does Daisy do after Jim Weston decides that he would rather have his freedom than marry her?
(a) She turns her nose up into the air and walks away.
(b) She turns to Dave Carter and offers him the same opportunity.
(c) She cries and begs him to change his mind.
(d) She nods her head in agreement.
13. How does Jim Weston react when Daisy puts her hand on his arm to comfort him?
(a) He jumps as if she has jabbed him with a hot poker.
(b) He shakes her hand off and accuses her of being against him.
(c) He puts his hand on hers and looks into her eyes.
(d) He leans into her and puts his head on her shoulder.
14. What problem do the Methodists have with the sermon that Reverend Childers preached on the day before the trial?
(a) They accuse him of trying the case before the actual trial.
(b) The sermon lasted far too long.
(c) His ideas are not supported by the Bible's teachings.
(d) The sermon was too sympathetic to Jim Weston's case.
15. According to Reverend Childers, what is the most dangerous weapon in the world?
(a) The hock bone of a mule.
(b) The anger of one friend toward another.
(c) A flirtatious woman.
(d) The jealousy of a man in love.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Bible does Reverend Childers end up using?
2. What order does Joe Clarke give to the people at the trial before they leave the church?
3. What does Daisy suggest Jim Weston can do for a living after they get married?
4. What does Jim Weston assume when he sees Dave coming down the tracks?
5. Where does Daisy suggest she and Jim Weston live after they get married?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)