|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sister Lewis chastises Brother Nixon for what offense?
(a) He was talking during the trial, and she could not hear.
(b) He let his cow get into her strawberry patch.
(c) He stepped over her without asking her pardon.
(d) He hangs his coat on one of the church's empty lamp brackets.
2. According to Reverend Childers, why is an ass bone close to a mule bone?
(a) An ass is a mule's father, so the mule is related to the ass.
(b) Both are single-hoofed animals, so they must be in the same family.
(c) They both have large ears, so they must be similar.
(d) The skeletons of the animals are basically the same.
3. How does Jim Weston respond to the Baptists' actions when he enters the church?
(a) He jumps over a church bench and punches one of them.
(b) He tries to run out of the church and escape.
(c) He hangs his head and refuses to make eye contact with anyone.
(d) He threatens them with physical harm if they bother him.
4. What problem do the Methodists have with the sermon that Reverend Childers preached on the day before the trial?
(a) The sermon was too sympathetic to Jim Weston's case.
(b) The sermon lasted far too long.
(c) They accuse him of trying the case before the actual trial.
(d) His ideas are not supported by the Bible's teachings.
5. According to Lige Mosely, why should a Baptist be afraid to go swimming?
(a) Baptists do not know how to swim.
(b) Baptists only go into the water for baptism.
(c) Their heads are harder than rocks, so they would drown.
(d) They do not like to bathe, and swimming is a lot like bathing.
6. What accusation do the Methodists hurl at Dave Carter when he enters the church?
(a) They believe that he is faking his injury, trying to look hurt.
(b) They believe that he started the fight and deserved what he got.
(c) They belive that he just wants to cause trouble in town.
(d) They believe that he has stolen Joe Clarke's chickens.
7. According to Jim Weston, what kind of man does Daisy need?
(a) A man who does not mind working hard and getting up early.
(b) A man who does not mind being bossed.
(c) A man who will keep her in line.
(d) A man who does not mind being lied to.
8. What does Reverend Childers present as evidence against Jim Weston in the trial?
(a) He presents the biblical story of Sampson and the Philistines.
(b) He cites the rumor that Jim Weston has been stealing chickens.
(c) He uses Jim Weston's own confession against him.
(d) He uses the testimony of witnesses to prove that the beating was violent.
9. What is Jim Weston's sentence for his crime?
(a) Two years of exile from the town.
(b) Community service.
(c) Two months imprisoned in the barn.
(d) Two years of hard labor.
10. What does everyone believe has happened when the church bell begins to toll?
(a) Everyone believes that the trial is about to begin.
(b) Everyone believes that Jim Weston has been convicted and sentenced.
(c) Everone believes that Jim Weston has been cleared of the charges.
(d) Everyone thinks that Dave Carter has died from his injuries.
11. What does Jim Weston take with him as he leaves town?
(a) His guitar and a picture of him and Dave Carter.
(b) A small suitcase and his guitar.
(c) His guitar and jacket.
(d) His guitar and a handkerchief that Daisy made for him.
12. What evidence does Dave Carter present to prove that he is as clean as everybody else?
(a) He lets Reverend Childers check for dirt behind his ears.
(b) He says he has had a bath that very day.
(c) He says he goes swimming nearly every day.
(d) He sniffs under his arm and declares himself clean.
13. How many people are in the church at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) Only a handful of people are in church, but many are waiting outside.
(b) Exactly two people are in church, Jim Weston and Deacon Simms.
(c) The church is nearly empty.
(d) The church is almost full.
14. What other forgotten item does Lum Boger bring back to the trial?
(a) The defendant.
(b) The Bible.
(c) The mule bone.
(d) The legal documents.
15. What is the setting of Act 3?
(a) At sunrise near Maitland.
(b) Near sundown along the railroad tracks outside of town.
(c) Near Maitland at sundown.
(d) Near sunrise along the railroad tracks outside of town.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hambo accuses Deacon Simms of telling what lie?
2. Why does Daisy begin to cry when speaking to Jim Weston in Act 3?
3. What does Daisy say to Jim Weston in Act 3 that changes his mood?
4. When did Jim Weston tell Daisy that he could kiss her every day ("as regular as pig-tracks")?
5. Where does Dave Carter suggest that Jim Weston should go at the end of Act 3?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)