|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Jim Weston and Dave Carter doing as the curtain falls?
(a) Jim Weston is humming a tune, and Dave Carter is whistling the same tune.
(b) Jim Weston is playing his guitar, and Dave Carter is singing and dancing alongside.
(c) They are walking arm in arm on their way back into town.
(d) Jim Weston begins by humming a tune, and Dave Carter begins to sing the lyrics.
2. Why does Deacon Simms refuse to allow Reverend Childers to use his Bible?
(a) Deacon Simms' children gave the Bible to him, so it's special.
(b) He says any good preacher would have brought his own Bible.
(c) He is afraid that Reverend Childers will soil his pages.
(d) Reverend Childers is a Baptist and cannot read anyway.
3. Sister Lewis chastises Brother Nixon for what offense?
(a) He stepped over her without asking her pardon.
(b) He let his cow get into her strawberry patch.
(c) He was talking during the trial, and she could not hear.
(d) He hangs his coat on one of the church's empty lamp brackets.
4. How do the women react when Lum Boger comes back to quiet them?
(a) They ignore him.
(b) They threaten him and warn him not to come near them.
(c) They apologize and quickly quiet down.
(d) They quiet down for a bit.
5. Who else did Daisy visit on the same day that she visited Dave Carter?
(a) Daisy also visited Hambo.
(b) Daisy also visited Joe Clarke.
(c) Daisy also visited Lum Boger and brought him lunch.
(d) Daisy also visited Jim Weston in the barn.
6. According to Jim Weston, what kind of man does Daisy need?
(a) A man who does not mind being lied to.
(b) A man who will keep her in line.
(c) A man who does not mind being bossed.
(d) A man who does not mind working hard and getting up early.
7. How does Sister Taylor defend herself when Joe Lindsay chastises her for arguing in church?
(a) She criticizes him for beating his wife.
(b) She criticizes him for not feeding his horse.
(c) She says she is not the only one who is talking.
(d) She says he has no right to tell her what to do.
8. How many people are in the church at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) Exactly two people are in church, Jim Weston and Deacon Simms.
(b) Only a handful of people are in church, but many are waiting outside.
(c) The church is nearly empty.
(d) The church is almost full.
9. What does Dave Carter say he got enough of on Saturday night (the night of the fight)?
(a) He says he got enough of Daisy.
(b) He says he got enough of Jim Weston.
(c) He says he got enough of fighting.
(d) He says that he got enough of singing and dancing.
10. What does Jim Weston assume when he sees Dave coming down the tracks?
(a) That he is heading out to see Daisy.
(b) That he has been run out of town, too.
(c) That he is looking for him.
(d) That he is lost.
11. What is Jim Weston's sentence for his crime?
(a) Two years of exile from the town.
(b) Two months imprisoned in the barn.
(c) Community service.
(d) Two years of hard labor.
12. Where do Daisy and Jim Weston plan to go?
(a) They do not know where they are going.
(b) They are going to move to Maitland.
(c) They plan to go to Daisy's mother's house.
(d) They plan to go back into town.
13. How does Daisy respond to Jim's anger over her visit with Dave Carter?
(a) She apologizes and begs for his forgiveness.
(b) She begins to cry and says she was just being nice.
(c) She gets angry and yells at him.
(d) She turns on her heel and walks away.
14. How does Deacon Simms suggest that they end the trial?
(a) He says they should sing, dismiss, and all return to work.
(b) He says Jim Weston should be compensated for his mistreatment.
(c) He says Joe Clarke should be run out of town, and he himself should be mayor.
(d) He says everyone should apologize to Jim Weston and set him free.
15. What reason is given to support the idea of the Methodist minister leading the prayer?
(a) The Methodist minister has more formal education.
(b) The Baptists started the trouble, so they have no business leading a prayer.
(c) The Methodists say better prayers than the Baptists.
(d) Dave Carter is a Methodist, so his preacher should say the prayer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Daisy suggest Jim Weston can do for a living after they get married?
2. Why does Dave Carter insist that no one in town has any right to determine Jim Weston's punishment?
3. How does Jim Weston react when a person from the mob throws something at him?
4. What order does Joe Clarke give to the people at the trial before they leave the church?
5. What excuse does Daisy give Dave Carter to explain why she has not chosen him?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)