|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sister Taylor suggest that Sister Lewis should do for her daughter?
(a) She should get her buck teeth fixed.
(b) She should teach her how to properly wash herself.
(c) She should get the sheriff to make one of her many boyfriends marry her.
(d) She should get her some new clothes so she does not have to wear sack cloth.
2. How much time would Dave Carter do on a chain gang in order to prove his love for Daisy?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Forty years.
(d) Fifty years.
3. What evidence does Dave Carter present to prove that he is as clean as everybody else?
(a) He lets Reverend Childers check for dirt behind his ears.
(b) He says he has had a bath that very day.
(c) He sniffs under his arm and declares himself clean.
(d) He says he goes swimming nearly every day.
4. How many people are in the church at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) Only a handful of people are in church, but many are waiting outside.
(b) Exactly two people are in church, Jim Weston and Deacon Simms.
(c) The church is almost full.
(d) The church is nearly empty.
5. What accusation do the Methodists hurl at Dave Carter when he enters the church?
(a) They belive that he just wants to cause trouble in town.
(b) They believe that he started the fight and deserved what he got.
(c) They believe that he has stolen Joe Clarke's chickens.
(d) They believe that he is faking his injury, trying to look hurt.
6. How does Daisy respond to Jim's anger over her visit with Dave Carter?
(a) She gets angry and yells at him.
(b) She apologizes and begs for his forgiveness.
(c) She turns on her heel and walks away.
(d) She begins to cry and says she was just being nice.
7. Deacon Simms accuses Dave Carter of what?
(a) Of living an unclean life.
(b) Of stealing Daisy away from Jim Weston.
(c) Of lying to Jim Weston about his injuries.
(d) Of feeling jealous of Jim Weston.
8. How does Joe Clarke try to quiet the crowd when he enters the church?
(a) He yells at them to be quiet.
(b) He sends Lum Boger in to quiet everyone.
(c) He rings the church bell in order to get their attention.
(d) He frowns at the crowd.
9. According to Reverend Childers, why is an ass bone close to a mule bone?
(a) Both are single-hoofed animals, so they must be in the same family.
(b) The skeletons of the animals are basically the same.
(c) An ass is a mule's father, so the mule is related to the ass.
(d) They both have large ears, so they must be similar.
10. What is the setting of Act 3?
(a) Near sunrise along the railroad tracks outside of town.
(b) Near Maitland at sundown.
(c) Near sundown along the railroad tracks outside of town.
(d) At sunrise near Maitland.
11. Why is Daisy in a hurry when Jim Weston runs into her?
(a) She has just left work and is coming to see how the trial turned out.
(b) She only has a few free minutes and has to hurry back to work.
(c) She knows that her mother will be upset if she comes home late again.
(d) She is being pursued by a strange man.
12. Why is the church bell rung?
(a) Deacon Simms rings the bell to draw attention to his client's case.
(b) Hambo rings the bell as a way of ushering Jim Weston out of town.
(c) Lum Boger rings the bell to signal the beginning of the trial.
(d) It was an accident; someone fell and grabbed the rope.
13. What is missing when Joe Clarke tries to begin the trial?
(a) Dave Carter.
(b) The defendant.
(c) The gavel.
(d) The witnesses.
14. What evidence does Sister Taylor provide to prove that her husband is good to her?
(a) He brings home plenty of money.
(b) He brings her flowers for no reason.
(c) He is a good father to their children.
(d) He listens to her when she has a problem.
15. What does Jim Weston say that makes Daisy finally choose him over Dave Carter?
(a) He says he would buy her a train.
(b) He says he would give up his best friend for her.
(c) He says that he would jump off of an airplane just to walk with her.
(d) He says he truly loves her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hambo accuses Deacon Simms of telling what lie?
2. How is Jim Weston escorted out of town?
3. Why does Daisy begin to cry when speaking to Jim Weston in Act 3?
4. What does everyone believe has happened when the church bell begins to toll?
5. According to Jim Weston, what kind of man does Daisy need?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)