|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Joe Clarke try to quiet the crowd when he enters the church?
(a) He yells at them to be quiet.
(b) He rings the church bell in order to get their attention.
(c) He sends Lum Boger in to quiet everyone.
(d) He frowns at the crowd.
2. Why is Daisy in a hurry when Jim Weston runs into her?
(a) She is being pursued by a strange man.
(b) She has just left work and is coming to see how the trial turned out.
(c) She knows that her mother will be upset if she comes home late again.
(d) She only has a few free minutes and has to hurry back to work.
3. What does Daisy threaten to do when both Jim Weston and Dave Carter try to hug her?
(a) She threatens to find another man who will appreciate her.
(b) She threatens to leave them both and go back to work.
(c) She threatens to leave town and return to the North.
(d) She threatens to go to her mother's house and leave them standing along the railroad.
4. What order does Joe Clarke give to the people at the trial before they leave the church?
(a) He orders them to leave church grounds before they begin to fight.
(b) He orders them to leave their neighbors alone and mind their own business.
(c) He orders them to disperse quietly and return to their homes.
(d) He orders them to help Lum Boger escort Jim Weston out of town.
5. How does Brother Nixon respond to Sister Lewis' chastisement?
(a) He apologizes and then sits quietly.
(b) He mocks her and shakes himself at her.
(c) He looks at her innocently and pretends that he has done nothing.
(d) He pretends that he cannot hear her.
6. Hambo accuses Deacon Simms of telling what lie?
(a) That Joe Clarke sells stale bread, and Hambo defends him.
(b) That Jim Weston's father was run out of town, but he was lynched by white people.
(c) That Dave Carter has another girlfriend in another town, but it is untrue.
(d) That Dave Carter stepped on Jim Weston's foot on purpose, but it was an accident.
7. Why does Dave Carter insist that no one in town has any right to determine Jim Weston's punishment?
(a) Jim Weston has been tried once; they cannot try him again.
(b) None of the people in town know anything about the law anyway.
(c) No one in town has any legal power.
(d) Jim Weston hit Dave Carter, so no one else but Dave should have anything to say about it.
8. What problem do the Methodists have with the sermon that Reverend Childers preached on the day before the trial?
(a) They accuse him of trying the case before the actual trial.
(b) His ideas are not supported by the Bible's teachings.
(c) The sermon was too sympathetic to Jim Weston's case.
(d) The sermon lasted far too long.
9. What argument does Deacon Simms use to defend Jim Weston?
(a) He says that according to white law and the Bible, a mule bone is not a weapon.
(b) He says that Jim was simply defending himself from Dave's angry tirade.
(c) He says that Jim was full of rage and did not realize what he was doing.
(d) He says that it was an innocent disagreement between friends, but not a crime.
10. According to Lige Mosely, why should a Baptist be afraid to go swimming?
(a) Baptists only go into the water for baptism.
(b) Baptists do not know how to swim.
(c) Their heads are harder than rocks, so they would drown.
(d) They do not like to bathe, and swimming is a lot like bathing.
11. What excuse does Daisy give Dave Carter to explain why she has not chosen him?
(a) He is less sincere than Jim Weston.
(b) She does not believe that he will ever give up singing and dancing.
(c) He does not really need her.
(d) She cannot marry them both; she has to choose.
12. How do the Baptists respond to Jim Weston entering the church?
(a) In unison, they all turn their backs on him.
(b) They taunt him with chicken and rooster calls.
(c) They cheer him and shout words of encouragement.
(d) The whisper about him as he walks up the aisle.
13. What does Daisy suggest Jim Weston can do for a living after they get married?
(a) She suggests that he will make plenty of money as a guitar player.
(b) She suggests that he become a yard man and give up the guitar.
(c) She assures him that she will make enough to support them both.
(d) She suggests that he can become a waiter in Maitland.
14. What does Reverend Childers present as evidence against Jim Weston in the trial?
(a) He uses Jim Weston's own confession against him.
(b) He uses the testimony of witnesses to prove that the beating was violent.
(c) He cites the rumor that Jim Weston has been stealing chickens.
(d) He presents the biblical story of Sampson and the Philistines.
15. What is Jim Weston's sentence for his crime?
(a) Two years of hard labor.
(b) Community service.
(c) Two months imprisoned in the barn.
(d) Two years of exile from the town.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Daisy suggest she and Jim Weston live after they get married?
2. What other forgotten item does Lum Boger bring back to the trial?
3. Deacon Simms accuses Dave Carter of what?
4. Jim Weston accuses Daisy of hurrying back to town to do what?
5. What is missing when Joe Clarke tries to begin the trial?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)