|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What excuse does Daisy give Dave Carter to explain why she has not chosen him?
(a) She cannot marry them both; she has to choose.
(b) She does not believe that he will ever give up singing and dancing.
(c) He does not really need her.
(d) He is less sincere than Jim Weston.
2. Why does Jim Weston pick up a heavy stick as they walk back to town?
(a) He uses it as a walking stick.
(b) It has an interesting shape, and he wants to show it to Joe Clarke.
(c) He is going to throw it toward a stray dog.
(d) He plans to use it against anyone in town who tries to keep him out.
3. What is the setting of Act 3?
(a) Near Maitland at sundown.
(b) At sunrise near Maitland.
(c) Near sundown along the railroad tracks outside of town.
(d) Near sunrise along the railroad tracks outside of town.
4. Why does Daisy refuse both Jim Weston and Dave Carter?
(a) She will not marry a man who does not want to work and earn a living.
(b) She has found another man in Maitland who can take care of her better.
(c) She never really wanted either of them; she was just playing a game.
(d) She is tired of seeing the friends fighting, so she decides to leave them alone.
5. What does Jim Weston say that makes Daisy finally choose him over Dave Carter?
(a) He says that he would jump off of an airplane just to walk with her.
(b) He says he would give up his best friend for her.
(c) He says he would buy her a train.
(d) He says he truly loves her.
6. To prove his love for Daisy, how much time would Jim Weston do on a chain gang?
(b) Fifty years.
(c) Forty years.
(d) Twenty years.
7. What will Jim Weston do to support himself and Daisy?
(a) He thinks that she should work and support them both.
(b) He hopes to open his own general store.
(c) He plans to play music, but he no longer has anyone to sing and dance with.
(d) He hopes to get a job as a yard man.
8. What is missing when Joe Clarke tries to begin the trial?
(a) The defendant.
(b) Dave Carter.
(c) The gavel.
(d) The witnesses.
9. What order does Joe Clarke give to the people at the trial before they leave the church?
(a) He orders them to help Lum Boger escort Jim Weston out of town.
(b) He orders them to leave their neighbors alone and mind their own business.
(c) He orders them to leave church grounds before they begin to fight.
(d) He orders them to disperse quietly and return to their homes.
10. Why does Dave Carter insist that no one in town has any right to determine Jim Weston's punishment?
(a) Jim Weston has been tried once; they cannot try him again.
(b) None of the people in town know anything about the law anyway.
(c) No one in town has any legal power.
(d) Jim Weston hit Dave Carter, so no one else but Dave should have anything to say about it.
11. How does Daisy respond when Dave Carter and Jim Weston both choose their music over a life with her?
(a) She slowly walks back toward the town from which she had come.
(b) She shakes her fist at them and calls them names.
(c) She laughs at first because she thinks they are joking.
(d) She sniffs at them and stomps off toward home.
12. What does Jim Weston assume when he sees Dave coming down the tracks?
(a) That he is lost.
(b) That he has been run out of town, too.
(c) That he is looking for him.
(d) That he is heading out to see Daisy.
13. When did Jim Weston tell Daisy that he could kiss her every day ("as regular as pig-tracks")?
(a) Just before the fight.
(b) Right before the trial.
(c) When they were children.
(d) Before she moved up North.
14. Who else did Daisy visit on the same day that she visited Dave Carter?
(a) Daisy also visited Hambo.
(b) Daisy also visited Joe Clarke.
(c) Daisy also visited Lum Boger and brought him lunch.
(d) Daisy also visited Jim Weston in the barn.
15. What accusation do the Methodists hurl at Dave Carter when he enters the church?
(a) They belive that he just wants to cause trouble in town.
(b) They believe that he has stolen Joe Clarke's chickens.
(c) They believe that he is faking his injury, trying to look hurt.
(d) They believe that he started the fight and deserved what he got.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jim Weston pull Daisy down to sit on the tracks with him?
2. According to Lige Mosely, why should a Baptist be afraid to go swimming?
3. How does Daisy respond when Dave Carter asks if she loves him?
4. What reason is given to support the idea of the Methodist minister leading the prayer?
5. How does Joe Clarke try to quiet the crowd when he enters the church?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)