|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting of Act 3?
(a) Near Maitland at sundown.
(b) At sunrise near Maitland.
(c) Near sundown along the railroad tracks outside of town.
(d) Near sunrise along the railroad tracks outside of town.
2. Who else did Daisy visit on the same day that she visited Dave Carter?
(a) Daisy also visited Lum Boger and brought him lunch.
(b) Daisy also visited Jim Weston in the barn.
(c) Daisy also visited Joe Clarke.
(d) Daisy also visited Hambo.
3. What does Sister Taylor suggest that Sister Lewis should do for her daughter?
(a) She should get her buck teeth fixed.
(b) She should get the sheriff to make one of her many boyfriends marry her.
(c) She should get her some new clothes so she does not have to wear sack cloth.
(d) She should teach her how to properly wash herself.
4. What evidence does Sister Taylor provide to prove that her husband is good to her?
(a) He brings home plenty of money.
(b) He brings her flowers for no reason.
(c) He listens to her when she has a problem.
(d) He is a good father to their children.
5. Jim Weston accuses Daisy of hurrying back to town to do what?
(a) To get away from him.
(b) He believes that she is trying to reach home before dark.
(c) He believes that she has finally chosen him over Dave Carter.
(d) To meet up with Dave Carter.
6. How does Sister Taylor defend herself when Joe Lindsay chastises her for arguing in church?
(a) She says she is not the only one who is talking.
(b) She criticizes him for beating his wife.
(c) She criticizes him for not feeding his horse.
(d) She says he has no right to tell her what to do.
7. What does Daisy threaten to do when both Jim Weston and Dave Carter try to hug her?
(a) She threatens to leave town and return to the North.
(b) She threatens to find another man who will appreciate her.
(c) She threatens to leave them both and go back to work.
(d) She threatens to go to her mother's house and leave them standing along the railroad.
8. How do Jim Weston and Dave Carter express their love for Daisy?
(a) They recite poetry that they have dedicated to her.
(b) They both sing songs that they have written for her.
(c) They arm wrestle for her.
(d) They try to outdo each other with extremes of what they would do for her.
9. Who receives the applause from the Methodist side of the church?
(a) Joe Clarke.
(b) Reverend Childers.
(c) Joe Lindsay.
(d) Deacon Simms.
10. What reason is given to support the idea of the Methodist minister leading the prayer?
(a) The Baptists started the trouble, so they have no business leading a prayer.
(b) Dave Carter is a Methodist, so his preacher should say the prayer.
(c) The Methodist minister has more formal education.
(d) The Methodists say better prayers than the Baptists.
11. What does Jim Weston say that makes Daisy finally choose him over Dave Carter?
(a) He says he would give up his best friend for her.
(b) He says he would buy her a train.
(c) He says he truly loves her.
(d) He says that he would jump off of an airplane just to walk with her.
12. What problem do the Methodists have with the sermon that Reverend Childers preached on the day before the trial?
(a) His ideas are not supported by the Bible's teachings.
(b) They accuse him of trying the case before the actual trial.
(c) The sermon was too sympathetic to Jim Weston's case.
(d) The sermon lasted far too long.
13. According to Jim Weston, what kind of man does Daisy need?
(a) A man who does not mind being lied to.
(b) A man who will keep her in line.
(c) A man who does not mind being bossed.
(d) A man who does not mind working hard and getting up early.
14. What does Sister Pitt suggest they must do before the trial begins?
(a) Sing a hymn.
(b) Read the charges.
(c) Start with a prayer.
(d) Call a formal list of witnesses.
15. What are Jim Weston and Dave Carter doing as the curtain falls?
(a) They are walking arm in arm on their way back into town.
(b) Jim Weston is playing his guitar, and Dave Carter is singing and dancing alongside.
(c) Jim Weston begins by humming a tune, and Dave Carter begins to sing the lyrics.
(d) Jim Weston is humming a tune, and Dave Carter is whistling the same tune.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Reverend Childers, why is an ass bone close to a mule bone?
2. Hambo accuses Deacon Simms of telling what lie?
3. How much time would Dave Carter do on a chain gang in order to prove his love for Daisy?
4. Why does Jim Weston pull Daisy down to sit on the tracks with him?
5. How does Brother Nixon respond to Sister Lewis' chastisement?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)