|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jim Weston pour out of his shoe?
2. How does Lum Boger respond to the women's reactions when he comes back to quiet them?
(a) He grumbles under his breath and kicks their chairs.
(b) He meekly returns to his seat next to Jim Weston.
(c) He stands next to them and glares at them.
(d) He gets angry and begins to yell at them.
3. What does Daisy suggest Jim Weston can do for a living after they get married?
(a) She assures him that she will make enough to support them both.
(b) She suggests that he can become a waiter in Maitland.
(c) She suggests that he become a yard man and give up the guitar.
(d) She suggests that he will make plenty of money as a guitar player.
4. Which would Daisy rather be, a lark flying or a dove setting?
(a) A dove.
(b) A lark.
(c) Daisy would rather be a dove flying.
(d) Daisy does not want to be a bird.
5. What evidence does Sister Hambo provide to prove that she is telling the truth?
(a) Everyone in town knows that she always tells the truth.
(b) She swears on her mother's grave that she is telling the truth.
(c) She has six children, and they are all as honest as she is.
(d) She belongs to Macedonia Baptist Church and cannot lie.
6. What does Reverend Childers present as evidence against Jim Weston in the trial?
(a) He presents the biblical story of Sampson and the Philistines.
(b) He uses the testimony of witnesses to prove that the beating was violent.
(c) He uses Jim Weston's own confession against him.
(d) He cites the rumor that Jim Weston has been stealing chickens.
7. How does Joe Clarke try to quiet the crowd when he enters the church?
(a) He yells at them to be quiet.
(b) He sends Lum Boger in to quiet everyone.
(c) He frowns at the crowd.
(d) He rings the church bell in order to get their attention.
8. Why is Daisy in a hurry when Jim Weston runs into her?
(a) She only has a few free minutes and has to hurry back to work.
(b) She has just left work and is coming to see how the trial turned out.
(c) She is being pursued by a strange man.
(d) She knows that her mother will be upset if she comes home late again.
9. What evidence does Sister Taylor provide to prove that her husband is good to her?
(a) He brings her flowers for no reason.
(b) He is a good father to their children.
(c) He listens to her when she has a problem.
(d) He brings home plenty of money.
10. How do the women react when Lum Boger comes back to quiet them?
(a) They ignore him.
(b) They threaten him and warn him not to come near them.
(c) They apologize and quickly quiet down.
(d) They quiet down for a bit.
11. What excuse does Daisy give Dave Carter to explain why she has not chosen him?
(a) He is less sincere than Jim Weston.
(b) She does not believe that he will ever give up singing and dancing.
(c) She cannot marry them both; she has to choose.
(d) He does not really need her.
12. How does Deacon Simms suggest that they end the trial?
(a) He says Joe Clarke should be run out of town, and he himself should be mayor.
(b) He says everyone should apologize to Jim Weston and set him free.
(c) He says Jim Weston should be compensated for his mistreatment.
(d) He says they should sing, dismiss, and all return to work.
13. Where does Jim Weston plan to go when he gets up to leave after sitting on the railroad tracks?
(a) He plans to go to Maitland.
(b) He plans to go right back into town.
(c) He plans to follow the tracks into Georgia.
(d) He has no idea where he will go.
14. How is Jim Weston escorted out of town?
(a) Lum Boger quietly walks him to edge of town and wishes him good luck.
(b) The Baptists are trying to throw him out of town, and the Methodists are trying to pull him back in.
(c) The Methodists are trying to throw him out of town, and the Baptists are trying to pull him back in.
(d) Joe Clarke marches him out of town with a crowd of angry people behind him.
15. How many people are in the church at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) The church is almost full.
(b) Exactly two people are in church, Jim Weston and Deacon Simms.
(c) The church is nearly empty.
(d) Only a handful of people are in church, but many are waiting outside.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Deacon Simms refuse to allow Reverend Childers to use his Bible?
2. How does Daisy respond to Jim's anger over her visit with Dave Carter?
3. What is Jim Weston's sentence for his crime?
4. What accusation do the Methodists hurl at Dave Carter when he enters the church?
5. How does Jim Weston react when Daisy puts her hand on his arm to comfort him?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)