|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jim Weston react when a person from the mob throws something at him?
(a) He shakes his head sadly and walks away.
(b) He runs away and hides on the other side of the tracks.
(c) He runs into the crowd looking for the person who threw the object.
(d) He picks up a brick and hurls it back at the mob.
2. What does Daisy do after Jim Weston decides that he would rather have his freedom than marry her?
(a) She nods her head in agreement.
(b) She cries and begs him to change his mind.
(c) She turns to Dave Carter and offers him the same opportunity.
(d) She turns her nose up into the air and walks away.
3. What does Reverend Childers present as evidence against Jim Weston in the trial?
(a) He uses Jim Weston's own confession against him.
(b) He presents the biblical story of Sampson and the Philistines.
(c) He uses the testimony of witnesses to prove that the beating was violent.
(d) He cites the rumor that Jim Weston has been stealing chickens.
4. Why does Jim Weston pull Daisy down to sit on the tracks with him?
(a) He wants to talk to her.
(b) He just wants her to sit with him.
(c) He wants to kiss her.
(d) He is trying to comfort her.
5. What does Jim Weston pour out of his shoe?
6. What order does Joe Clarke give to the people at the trial before they leave the church?
(a) He orders them to help Lum Boger escort Jim Weston out of town.
(b) He orders them to leave church grounds before they begin to fight.
(c) He orders them to leave their neighbors alone and mind their own business.
(d) He orders them to disperse quietly and return to their homes.
7. How does Deacon Simms suggest that they end the trial?
(a) He says Jim Weston should be compensated for his mistreatment.
(b) He says everyone should apologize to Jim Weston and set him free.
(c) He says Joe Clarke should be run out of town, and he himself should be mayor.
(d) He says they should sing, dismiss, and all return to work.
8. How is Jim Weston escorted out of town?
(a) The Methodists are trying to throw him out of town, and the Baptists are trying to pull him back in.
(b) The Baptists are trying to throw him out of town, and the Methodists are trying to pull him back in.
(c) Lum Boger quietly walks him to edge of town and wishes him good luck.
(d) Joe Clarke marches him out of town with a crowd of angry people behind him.
9. What is Jim Weston's sentence for his crime?
(a) Two months imprisoned in the barn.
(b) Two years of exile from the town.
(c) Community service.
(d) Two years of hard labor.
10. Why is the church bell rung?
(a) Deacon Simms rings the bell to draw attention to his client's case.
(b) Lum Boger rings the bell to signal the beginning of the trial.
(c) It was an accident; someone fell and grabbed the rope.
(d) Hambo rings the bell as a way of ushering Jim Weston out of town.
11. What is Dave Carter wearing when he enters the church?
(a) A cast on his arm.
(b) A large black hat.
(c) A neck brace.
(d) A bandage on his head.
12. How does Jim Weston respond to the Baptists' actions when he enters the church?
(a) He threatens them with physical harm if they bother him.
(b) He hangs his head and refuses to make eye contact with anyone.
(c) He tries to run out of the church and escape.
(d) He jumps over a church bench and punches one of them.
13. How do Jim Weston and Dave Carter express their love for Daisy?
(a) They both sing songs that they have written for her.
(b) They try to outdo each other with extremes of what they would do for her.
(c) They recite poetry that they have dedicated to her.
(d) They arm wrestle for her.
14. How does Daisy respond when Dave Carter and Jim Weston both choose their music over a life with her?
(a) She slowly walks back toward the town from which she had come.
(b) She sniffs at them and stomps off toward home.
(c) She shakes her fist at them and calls them names.
(d) She laughs at first because she thinks they are joking.
15. What problem do the Methodists have with the sermon that Reverend Childers preached on the day before the trial?
(a) The sermon was too sympathetic to Jim Weston's case.
(b) They accuse him of trying the case before the actual trial.
(c) The sermon lasted far too long.
(d) His ideas are not supported by the Bible's teachings.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dave Carter suggest that Jim Weston should go at the end of Act 3?
2. What is the setting of Act 2, Scene 2?
3. According to Jim Weston, how much does he love Daisy?
4. What evidence does Dave Carter present to prove that he is as clean as everybody else?
5. What argument does Deacon Simms use to defend Jim Weston?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)