|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sister Taylor suggest that Sister Lewis should do for her daughter?
(a) She should get her buck teeth fixed.
(b) She should get the sheriff to make one of her many boyfriends marry her.
(c) She should teach her how to properly wash herself.
(d) She should get her some new clothes so she does not have to wear sack cloth.
2. What does Jim Weston assume when he sees Dave coming down the tracks?
(a) That he is lost.
(b) That he has been run out of town, too.
(c) That he is looking for him.
(d) That he is heading out to see Daisy.
3. Why does Dave Carter insist that no one in town has any right to determine Jim Weston's punishment?
(a) Jim Weston has been tried once; they cannot try him again.
(b) Jim Weston hit Dave Carter, so no one else but Dave should have anything to say about it.
(c) None of the people in town know anything about the law anyway.
(d) No one in town has any legal power.
4. What excuse does Daisy give Dave Carter to explain why she has not chosen him?
(a) He is less sincere than Jim Weston.
(b) She does not believe that he will ever give up singing and dancing.
(c) She cannot marry them both; she has to choose.
(d) He does not really need her.
5. What are Jim Weston and Dave Carter doing as the curtain falls?
(a) Jim Weston begins by humming a tune, and Dave Carter begins to sing the lyrics.
(b) Jim Weston is playing his guitar, and Dave Carter is singing and dancing alongside.
(c) They are walking arm in arm on their way back into town.
(d) Jim Weston is humming a tune, and Dave Carter is whistling the same tune.
6. Who defends herself by saying that everyone's house has some bedbugs and lice?
(a) Sister Lewis.
(b) Sister Taylor.
(c) Sister Thomas.
(d) Sister Hambo.
7. Which would Daisy rather be, a lark flying or a dove setting?
(a) Daisy does not want to be a bird.
(b) Daisy would rather be a dove flying.
(c) A lark.
(d) A dove.
8. Why does Daisy begin to cry when speaking to Jim Weston in Act 3?
(a) He says a woman cannot be trusted.
(b) He threatens to leave her alone in the dark.
(c) He says he does not love her and he never really loved her.
(d) He gets angry and slaps her.
9. How does Joe Clarke respond to Mrs. Nixon's accusation that he mistreats his wife and sells rancid bacon?
(a) He says everyone knows that she lies, so he is not concerned.
(b) He says she will not be allowed to buy anything else from the store until she pays back the money she owes.
(c) He says she smells like a nest of yellow hammers.
(d) He bangs his gavel and calls for order.
10. What is the setting of Act 3?
(a) Near sunrise along the railroad tracks outside of town.
(b) Near Maitland at sundown.
(c) At sunrise near Maitland.
(d) Near sundown along the railroad tracks outside of town.
11. What evidence does Sister Hambo provide to prove that she is telling the truth?
(a) She belongs to Macedonia Baptist Church and cannot lie.
(b) Everyone in town knows that she always tells the truth.
(c) She swears on her mother's grave that she is telling the truth.
(d) She has six children, and they are all as honest as she is.
12. Who receives the applause from the Methodist side of the church?
(a) Joe Clarke.
(b) Joe Lindsay.
(c) Deacon Simms.
(d) Reverend Childers.
13. According to the characters at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2, how are Reverend Childers and Deacon Simms different?
(a) Deacon Simms is unmarried.
(b) Reverend Childers has been to college.
(c) Reverend Childers does not believe in baptism.
(d) Deacon Simms has more formal education.
14. What accusation do the Methodists hurl at Dave Carter when he enters the church?
(a) They believe that he started the fight and deserved what he got.
(b) They believe that he has stolen Joe Clarke's chickens.
(c) They believe that he is faking his injury, trying to look hurt.
(d) They belive that he just wants to cause trouble in town.
15. Deacon Simms accuses Dave Carter of what?
(a) Of lying to Jim Weston about his injuries.
(b) Of feeling jealous of Jim Weston.
(c) Of stealing Daisy away from Jim Weston.
(d) Of living an unclean life.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Reverend Childers, why is an ass bone close to a mule bone?
2. How does Jim Weston react when Daisy puts her hand on his arm to comfort him?
3. Why does Daisy refuse both Jim Weston and Dave Carter?
4. Where does Dave Carter suggest that Jim Weston should go at the end of Act 3?
5. What does Sister Pitt suggest they must do before the trial begins?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)