|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hambo accuses Deacon Simms of telling what lie?
(a) That Jim Weston's father was run out of town, but he was lynched by white people.
(b) That Joe Clarke sells stale bread, and Hambo defends him.
(c) That Dave Carter stepped on Jim Weston's foot on purpose, but it was an accident.
(d) That Dave Carter has another girlfriend in another town, but it is untrue.
2. How does Daisy respond to Jim's anger over her visit with Dave Carter?
(a) She gets angry and yells at him.
(b) She begins to cry and says she was just being nice.
(c) She turns on her heel and walks away.
(d) She apologizes and begs for his forgiveness.
3. Why is Daisy in a hurry when Jim Weston runs into her?
(a) She has just left work and is coming to see how the trial turned out.
(b) She is being pursued by a strange man.
(c) She knows that her mother will be upset if she comes home late again.
(d) She only has a few free minutes and has to hurry back to work.
4. What does Jim Weston do as he sits alone on the railroad tracks?
(a) He closes his eyes and rests for a moment.
(b) He contemplates suicide.
(c) He plays a couple of songs on his guitar.
(d) He says a prayer and asks for direction.
5. Sister Lewis chastises Brother Nixon for what offense?
(a) He hangs his coat on one of the church's empty lamp brackets.
(b) He was talking during the trial, and she could not hear.
(c) He stepped over her without asking her pardon.
(d) He let his cow get into her strawberry patch.
6. Why is the church bell rung?
(a) Lum Boger rings the bell to signal the beginning of the trial.
(b) Hambo rings the bell as a way of ushering Jim Weston out of town.
(c) Deacon Simms rings the bell to draw attention to his client's case.
(d) It was an accident; someone fell and grabbed the rope.
7. What does Dave Carter say he got enough of on Saturday night (the night of the fight)?
(a) He says that he got enough of singing and dancing.
(b) He says he got enough of fighting.
(c) He says he got enough of Daisy.
(d) He says he got enough of Jim Weston.
8. What clue in their verbal competition for Daisy suggests that Dave Carter and Jim Weston have put aside their differences?
(a) They talk about plans to continue playing their music.
(b) They both laugh when Dave Carter says he would do life in prison for Daisy.
(c) They put their arms around each other as they continue to banter.
(d) Nothing; they continue to battle for Daisy's love.
9. How does Joe Clarke respond to Mrs. Nixon's accusation that he mistreats his wife and sells rancid bacon?
(a) He says she will not be allowed to buy anything else from the store until she pays back the money she owes.
(b) He bangs his gavel and calls for order.
(c) He says she smells like a nest of yellow hammers.
(d) He says everyone knows that she lies, so he is not concerned.
10. What does Daisy suggest Jim Weston can do for a living after they get married?
(a) She assures him that she will make enough to support them both.
(b) She suggests that he can become a waiter in Maitland.
(c) She suggests that he will make plenty of money as a guitar player.
(d) She suggests that he become a yard man and give up the guitar.
11. What is Dave Carter wearing when he enters the church?
(a) A large black hat.
(b) A cast on his arm.
(c) A neck brace.
(d) A bandage on his head.
12. What are Jim Weston and Dave Carter doing as the curtain falls?
(a) Jim Weston is playing his guitar, and Dave Carter is singing and dancing alongside.
(b) Jim Weston begins by humming a tune, and Dave Carter begins to sing the lyrics.
(c) They are walking arm in arm on their way back into town.
(d) Jim Weston is humming a tune, and Dave Carter is whistling the same tune.
13. Who receives the applause from the Methodist side of the church?
(a) Deacon Simms.
(b) Joe Lindsay.
(c) Joe Clarke.
(d) Reverend Childers.
14. To prove his love for Daisy, how much time would Jim Weston do on a chain gang?
(b) Forty years.
(c) Fifty years.
(d) Twenty years.
15. Jim Weston accuses Daisy of hurrying back to town to do what?
(a) To meet up with Dave Carter.
(b) He believes that she has finally chosen him over Dave Carter.
(c) He believes that she is trying to reach home before dark.
(d) To get away from him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Deacon Simms refuse to allow Reverend Childers to use his Bible?
2. How does Lum Boger respond to the women's reactions when he comes back to quiet them?
3. How much time would Dave Carter do on a chain gang in order to prove his love for Daisy?
4. What does Daisy say to Jim Weston in Act 3 that changes his mood?
5. Why does Dave Carter insist that no one in town has any right to determine Jim Weston's punishment?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)