|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Daisy respond when Dave Carter asks if she loves him?
(a) She shakes her head and grabs Jim Weston's hand.
(b) She responds with an enthusiastic yes and hangs on his neck.
(c) She takes his hand and just smiles at him.
(d) She does not answer, but plays coy and changes the subject.
2. To prove his love for Daisy, how much time would Jim Weston do on a chain gang?
(a) Twenty years.
(c) Forty years.
(d) Fifty years.
3. What does Jim Weston pour out of his shoe?
4. What is Dave Carter wearing when he enters the church?
(a) A large black hat.
(b) A neck brace.
(c) A cast on his arm.
(d) A bandage on his head.
5. What does Daisy threaten to do when both Jim Weston and Dave Carter try to hug her?
(a) She threatens to go to her mother's house and leave them standing along the railroad.
(b) She threatens to leave town and return to the North.
(c) She threatens to leave them both and go back to work.
(d) She threatens to find another man who will appreciate her.
6. According to Lige Mosely, why should a Baptist be afraid to go swimming?
(a) They do not like to bathe, and swimming is a lot like bathing.
(b) Baptists only go into the water for baptism.
(c) Baptists do not know how to swim.
(d) Their heads are harder than rocks, so they would drown.
7. What does Reverend Childers present as evidence against Jim Weston in the trial?
(a) He cites the rumor that Jim Weston has been stealing chickens.
(b) He uses the testimony of witnesses to prove that the beating was violent.
(c) He presents the biblical story of Sampson and the Philistines.
(d) He uses Jim Weston's own confession against him.
8. What does Dave Carter say he got enough of on Saturday night (the night of the fight)?
(a) He says he got enough of fighting.
(b) He says he got enough of Jim Weston.
(c) He says he got enough of Daisy.
(d) He says that he got enough of singing and dancing.
9. Deacon Simms accuses Dave Carter of what?
(a) Of lying to Jim Weston about his injuries.
(b) Of living an unclean life.
(c) Of feeling jealous of Jim Weston.
(d) Of stealing Daisy away from Jim Weston.
10. How do the women react when Lum Boger comes back to quiet them?
(a) They ignore him.
(b) They quiet down for a bit.
(c) They threaten him and warn him not to come near them.
(d) They apologize and quickly quiet down.
11. How does Brother Nixon respond to Sister Lewis' chastisement?
(a) He mocks her and shakes himself at her.
(b) He apologizes and then sits quietly.
(c) He pretends that he cannot hear her.
(d) He looks at her innocently and pretends that he has done nothing.
12. When did Jim Weston tell Daisy that he could kiss her every day ("as regular as pig-tracks")?
(a) When they were children.
(b) Right before the trial.
(c) Before she moved up North.
(d) Just before the fight.
13. How does Jim Weston respond to the Baptists' actions when he enters the church?
(a) He threatens them with physical harm if they bother him.
(b) He hangs his head and refuses to make eye contact with anyone.
(c) He jumps over a church bench and punches one of them.
(d) He tries to run out of the church and escape.
14. According to Jim Weston, what kind of man does Daisy need?
(a) A man who does not mind working hard and getting up early.
(b) A man who does not mind being bossed.
(c) A man who does not mind being lied to.
(d) A man who will keep her in line.
15. What does everyone believe has happened when the church bell begins to toll?
(a) Everyone thinks that Dave Carter has died from his injuries.
(b) Everyone believes that the trial is about to begin.
(c) Everone believes that Jim Weston has been cleared of the charges.
(d) Everyone believes that Jim Weston has been convicted and sentenced.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joe Clarke get frustrated with Lum Boger?
2. Why does Deacon Simms refuse to allow Reverend Childers to use his Bible?
3. What evidence does Dave Carter present to prove that he is as clean as everybody else?
4. Where does Dave Carter suggest that Jim Weston should go at the end of Act 3?
5. What is the setting of Act 3?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)