|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Deacon Lindsay, what does Sister Taylor smell like?
(a) Like a "nest of grand daddies."
(b) Like a "louse in de church."
(c) Like "de devil's doll baby."
(d) Like a "neet of yellow hammers."
2. What does Dave Carter buy for Daisy?
(a) A red soda.
(b) Cotton candy.
(c) An ice cream cone.
(d) Some kettle corn.
3. How do the children react to Sister Taylor's reprimands?
(a) They quiet down, but continue with their fighting after she leaves.
(b) They apologize and head home.
(c) They tease her and shake themselves at her.
(d) They say nothing, but look sheepish and wander away.
4. According to Sister Taylor, what is Joe Clarke trying to look like as he heads to the trial?
(a) Like a Supreme Court justice.
(b) Like a big-city lawyer.
(c) Like a brigadier general.
(d) Like a Puritan governor.
5. What draws Joe Clarke's attention to Jim Weston and Dave Carter's fight?
(a) Daisy runs into the store to get Joe Clarke when the men begin to fight.
(b) The noise of the crowd.
(c) Deacon Simms runs in to get Joe Clarke when the men begin to fight.
(d) Their yelling at each other.
6. Who is Joe Clarke?
(a) He is one of the men in love with Daisy.
(b) He is the Methodist minister.
(c) He is the Baptist minister.
(d) He is the owner of the general store and the mayor of the town.
7. Which of the following best describes the exchange between Sister Taylor and Deacon Lindsay?
(a) Their exchange leads to improved relations between both sides.
(b) They say little, but they exchange vicious glances.
(c) They playfully tease each other.
(d) They criticize each other and threaten to fight.
8. Why does Sister Jones say she won't testify for Jim Weston?
(a) Her husband will not let her speak in court.
(b) She likes Dave Carter more and believes that he did not deserve to be beaten.
(c) She says she does not know enough about the fight.
(d) She says she does not care what happens; she does not like Jim Weston or Dave Carter.
9. According to Deacon Simms, what kind of day is it in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) It is a cloudy day.
(b) It is a windy day.
(c) It is a hot day.
(d) It is a chilly day.
10. According to Mrs. Roberts, why should the store owner give her some meat?
(a) Her husband doesn't provide enough for her and her children.
(b) Their religion requires that he take care of the poor.
(c) He owes her money for some eggs that she traded.
(d) He gave meat to her neighbor, so it is only fair that he do the same for her.
11. Where did Joe Lindsay find the mule bone?
(a) He says he found it behind the store.
(b) It is his good luck charm, so he never leaves home without it.
(c) He always carries it with him when he walks to town in order to fight off stray dogs.
(d) He says he found it while he was hunting.
12. What information does Sister Taylor share with Lum Boger in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) She tells him when and where the trial will be held.
(b) She tells him where the gavel is located.
(c) She tells him that Daisy deserves to be arrested, not Jim Weston.
(d) She tells him that Deacon Simms is looking for him.
13. What do the men at the store begin to talk about after Jim Weston and Dave Carter arrive?
(a) They talk about the weather and how it will affect the harvest.
(b) They go back to arguing about whether the town needs a jail.
(c) They return to talking about the town's snake problem.
(d) They talk about who will win Daisy's heart.
14. Which of the following best describes the children's journey to the church?
(a) The Baptist children decide to go first, and the Methodist children follow.
(b) They all race the whole way there to see who will arrive first.
(c) The Methodist children go first, and the Baptist children follow.
(d) Both the Baptist and the Methodist children are pushing and fighting to get there first.
15. Which of the following best describes Sister Taylor's position about Daisy's involvement in the fight between Jim Weston and Dave Carter?
(a) Sister Taylor believes that men are responsible for their own actions.
(b) Sister Taylor believes that the two men would fight about any girl.
(c) Sister Taylor believes that Daisy caused it by showing off and teasing the men.
(d) Sister Taylor believes that Daisy is innocent; it is not her fault that men find her attractive.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sister Thomas repeatedly say she needs to do before the trial?
2. What are Joe Clarke and Deacon Simms doing when Jim Weston and Dave Carter arrive at the store?
3. Why does Daisy come to the store?
4. When the fighting children enter, what does Sister Taylor look for, and what does she intend to do with it?
5. From which mule did the bone originally come?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)