|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the men at the store react to Daisy's arrival?
(a) No one speaks to her, but they all stare at her.
(b) They suddenly become very formal and well-mannered.
(c) They are embarrassed to speak to her.
(d) They flirt with Daisy and ask her to reveal which man she prefer, Jim or Dave.
2. What assurance does Deacon Simms give Sisters Taylor and Thomas?
(a) He assures them that they will both get a chance to testify at the trial.
(b) He assures them that the trial will be quick and fair.
(c) He assures them that Jim Weston will get the punishment he deserves.
(d) He assures them that not only will Jim Weston be cleared, but they may get a new mayor.
3. Where has Daisy been before her return to town?
(a) She was away at college.
(b) No one knows where she has been.
(c) She was in the North working for a white family.
(d) She was in prison for a suspicious accident.
4. How do Sisters Taylor and Thomas greet Joe Clarke when he arrives at the trial?
(a) They ask to pray with him for a peaceful resolution to the trial.
(b) They criticize him for taking the Baptist side of the argument.
(c) They wish him luck.
(d) They ignore him and do not speak to him at all.
5. According to Sister Taylor, what will ruin a person's eyesight?
(a) Having one's eye teeth pulled out.
(b) Gossiping about neighbors.
(c) Reading without enough light.
(d) Handling a mule bone.
6. What does Dave Carter buy for Daisy?
(a) Some kettle corn.
(b) Cotton candy.
(c) An ice cream cone.
(d) A red soda.
7. On what errand does Joe Clarke send Lum Boger?
(a) To get the witnesses.
(b) To work at the store during the trial.
(c) To get Jim Weston and the mule bone from the barn.
(d) To get the gavel.
8. Where is the notice of Jim Weston's trial displayed?
(a) It is posted on both church doors.
(b) It is posted in Joe Clarke's store.
(c) It is tacked to a big oak tree in town.
(d) It is not posted; everyone just knows about it.
9. How does Joe Clarke defend himself against Sisters Taylor and Thomas when he arrives at the trial?
(a) He says they should all learn to look past their differences and get along with others.
(b) He says he is not choosing sides; he only wants justice.
(c) He says he does not have to answer to anyone, especially to women.
(d) He says he understands their concerns, but he will not become a Baptist.
10. Describe the relationship between the Methodists and the Baptists in town.
(a) They do not agree on many ideas and do not get along.
(b) They are beginning to learn how to accept one another.
(c) They work together to fight corruption.
(d) They are friendly toward one another.
11. Which two characters are the first to speak in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Teets Miller and Bootsie Pitts
(b) Sister Lucy Taylor and Sister Thomas
(c) Jim Weston and Joe Clarke
(d) Sister Jane Babler and Sister James
12. Which of the following best describes Teets Miiller and Bootsie Pitts?
(a) They dress up and come to the store only to show off for the men.
(b) They are demure and shy.
(c) Men are attracted to them because of their dependability and modesty.
(d) They are tomboys who want to be included in the boys' games.
13. According to Sister Taylor, how ugly is Deacon Lindsay?
(a) He is so ugly that he does not need a mask for Halloween.
(b) He is so ugly that he scares the cows and their milk dries up.
(c) He is so ugly that children run away from him.
(d) He is so ugly that his wife puts a sheet over his head so sleep can sneak up on him.
14. Why does Dave Carter strike back at Jim Weston?
(a) Jim Weston accidentally hits Daisy when he swings at Dave.Carter.
(b) Jim Weston causes Dave Carter to spill red soda all over his shirt.
(c) Jim Weston breaks his nose.
(d) Jim Weston makes a rude comment about Dave Carter's mother.
15. What does Sister Taylor say she would do with Daisy if she were her mother?
(a) She says she would send her back North to get her away from the men.
(b) She says she would put her out of the house and let her support herself.
(c) She says she would beat her for acting like a tramp.
(d) She says she would not allow her out of the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the men at the store react to Mrs. Roberts' plight?
2. What does Sister Taylor suggest that changes Sister Jones' mind about testifying?
3. What does Sister Thomas think of Mrs. Blunt's reaction to the trial and the associated gossip?
4. Why does Jim Weston get angry with Dave Carter in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. What does Joe Clarke realize that he needs to get from the lodge room before he goes to the trial?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)