|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Sister Taylor, what is Joe Clarke trying to look like as he heads to the trial?
(a) Like a Puritan governor.
(b) Like a big-city lawyer.
(c) Like a Supreme Court justice.
(d) Like a brigadier general.
2. What does Sister Taylor do to end the argument with the sassy young girl?
(a) She embarrasses the girl in front her friends.
(b) She turns the girl over her knee and spanks her.
(c) She heads to the church to tell the girl's mother.
(d) She calls the girl's mother over and lets the mother deal with her.
3. How does Deacon Lindsay respond to Sister Taylor's and Sister Thomas' actions in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) He extends his hand and asks for a reconciliation.
(b) He is offended and turns to leave.
(c) He gets angry and wants to know why they aren't speaking.
(d) He laughs because he thinks they are behaving like children.
4. What does Sister Thomas do after Reverend Childers and his group enter?
(a) She picks a fight with Deacon Lindsay.
(b) She sucks her teeth and turns her back to them.
(c) She begins singing a traditional Methodist hymn.
(d) She flips her skirt at them and exits.
5. Why does Daisy return to the store in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) She forgot to pick something up for her mother.
(b) She is coming in to work her shift at the store.
(c) She left her pocketbook at the store.
(d) She hears Jim Weston and Dave Carter's music,
6. What name does Sister Taylor call the girl who sasses back at her?
(a) A "little heifer."
(b) A "limb of Satan."
(c) A "truck o' trouble."
(d) A "Satan's chile."
7. What does Sister Taylor think of Mrs. Blunt's reaction to the trial and the associated gossip?
(a) She suggests that Mrs. Blunt must be angry about Daisy's behavior.
(b) She suggests that Mrs. Blunt is a strong woman who will not let the trouble get to her.
(c) She suggests that Mrs. Blunt must be embarrassed by all of the attention.
(d) She suggests that Mrs. Blunt does not care because she has not raised Daisy properly anyway.
8. According to Deacon Simms, why does the town need a jail?
(a) The jail will bring in government money.
(b) The town is full of lawlessness.
(c) The church basement is overcrowded with prisoners.
(d) The jail will provide some much-needed jobs.
9. What does Sister Taylor say she would do with Daisy if she were her mother?
(a) She says she would send her back North to get her away from the men.
(b) She says she would put her out of the house and let her support herself.
(c) She says she would beat her for acting like a tramp.
(d) She says she would not allow her out of the house.
10. Why does Sister Taylor doubt that the girl's mother will influence the girl?
(a) She says that a child that mean will not listen to anyone.
(b) She knows that the mother tries but has no control over the daughter.
(c) She knows that the girl only listens to her father.
(d) She says the girl's mother does not behave any better than the daughter.
11. Why does the store owner at first refuse to give Mrs. Roberts the meat that she asks for?
(a) The meat is not very good quality.
(b) They have a longstanding feud.
(c) He believes that she has enough food.
(d) He is afraid of Mr. Roberts, who has warned him against giving food to her.
12. What is Mary Ella's criticism about the Methodist Church?
(a) She says that it might be big, but they do not have enough members to fill it.
(b) She says that it does not have any windows and it is located in the swamp.
(c) She says the Methodist Church does not have a church bell.
(d) She says that no matter how nice it looks, God does not visit there.
13. According to Sister Taylor, how ugly is Deacon Lindsay?
(a) He is so ugly that his wife puts a sheet over his head so sleep can sneak up on him.
(b) He is so ugly that he scares the cows and their milk dries up.
(c) He is so ugly that he does not need a mask for Halloween.
(d) He is so ugly that children run away from him.
14. According to Deacon Simms, what kind of day is it in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) It is a windy day.
(b) It is a cloudy day.
(c) It is a chilly day.
(d) It is a hot day.
15. Why do some women challenge Joe Clarke's involvement in Jim Weston's trial?
(a) The Methodist women criticize him for holding the trial in a Baptist church.
(b) All of the women believe that he should bring in a judge from out of town.
(c) The Baptist women criticize him because he is a Methodist.
(d) Many women believe that he should not be the judge because the incident occurred on his property.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Deacon Lindsay, what does Sister Taylor smell like?
2. What part of Joe Clarke's appearance does Sister Thomas criticize?
3. Why does Joe Clarke tell Marshal Lum Boger to save the mule bone?
4. How do the sisters Taylor and Thomas treat Deacon Simms when he arrives?
5. What does Dave Carter do after Jim Weston hits him?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)