|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Sisters Taylor and Thomas respond to Reverend Childers' greeting?
(a) They glare at him and simply grunt in reply.
(b) They immediately begin to criticize his position concerning the trial.
(c) They give him polite, strained smiles but do not respond.
(d) They ignore him and continue with their conversation.
2. Where have Jim Weston and Dave Carter been before they arrive at the store in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) They were at Daisy's house.
(b) They have been working up North at a white-owned factory.
(c) They have been playing music at a whites-only club.
(d) They have been out working in the fields all day.
3. What name does Sister Taylor call the girl who sasses back at her?
(a) A "truck o' trouble."
(b) A "little heifer."
(c) A "Satan's chile."
(d) A "limb of Satan."
4. Why does Jim Weston jump up to fight Dave Carter in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Dave Carter steps on his foot when he leaves the store.
(b) He think that Dave Carter is laughing at him.
(c) He is jealous and wants to fight for Daisy's love.
(d) His pride is hurt and he wants to fight to defend his honor.
5. Where did Joe Lindsay find the mule bone?
(a) He says he found it while he was hunting.
(b) He says he found it behind the store.
(c) It is his good luck charm, so he never leaves home without it.
(d) He always carries it with him when he walks to town in order to fight off stray dogs.
6. What does Joe Clarke realize that he needs to get from the lodge room before he goes to the trial?
(a) The gavel.
(b) His judge's robe.
(c) The evidence.
(d) The list of charges.
7. What does Sister Taylor suggest that changes Sister Jones' mind about testifying?
(a) She convinces her that it is their civic responsibility to testify.
(b) She assures her that everyone else in town will be testifying, so she should join in.
(c) She convinces her that Jim Weston is really an honest, hard-working man who deserves their support.
(d) She says that the issue is not about Jim Weston, but about defending themselves from the Baptists.
8. Why do some women challenge Joe Clarke's involvement in Jim Weston's trial?
(a) The Methodist women criticize him for holding the trial in a Baptist church.
(b) All of the women believe that he should bring in a judge from out of town.
(c) The Baptist women criticize him because he is a Methodist.
(d) Many women believe that he should not be the judge because the incident occurred on his property.
9. Which of the following best describes the exchange between Sister Taylor and Deacon Lindsay?
(a) They playfully tease each other.
(b) They criticize each other and threaten to fight.
(c) Their exchange leads to improved relations between both sides.
(d) They say little, but they exchange vicious glances.
10. What time is Jim Weston's trial scheduled to begin?
(b) Four o'clock.
(c) Seven o'clock.
(d) Three o'clock.
11. Where is Deaconr Simms headed when he meets Sisters Taylor and Thomas?
(a) He is headed to the Baptist church to prepare for the trial.
(b) He is looking for Joe Clarke so the he can discuss the trial process.
(c) He is going to speak to Jim Weston before the trial.
(d) He is looking for the evidence that will free Jim Weston.
12. What does Sister Taylor say she would do with Daisy if she were her mother?
(a) She says she would send her back North to get her away from the men.
(b) She says she would not allow her out of the house.
(c) She says she would beat her for acting like a tramp.
(d) She says she would put her out of the house and let her support herself.
13. Why does Joe Clarke tell Marshal Lum Boger to save the mule bone?
(a) He wants to make sure that no one else uses it as a weapon.
(b) He needs to return it to Joe Lindsay.
(c) He needs to return it to Matt Brazzle.
(d) He needs it for evidence at the trial.
14. How do the men at the store react to Daisy's arrival?
(a) They are embarrassed to speak to her.
(b) They suddenly become very formal and well-mannered.
(c) No one speaks to her, but they all stare at her.
(d) They flirt with Daisy and ask her to reveal which man she prefer, Jim or Dave.
15. What does Sister Taylor call the Baptist children?
(a) "Devil's chillen."
(b) "You all varmints."
(c) "Limbs of Satan."
(d) "Lil Baptis' Haitians."
Short Answer Questions
1. On whose side is Joe Clarke in the matter of Jim Weston?
2. How does Joe Clarke respond to Deacon Simms' suggestion about the jail?
3. According to Sister Taylor, what will be the cause of the next trial?
4. What complaint does Deacon Simms have about snakes?
5. Which of the following best describes the children's journey to the church?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)