|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What evidence does Joe Clarke offer to support his accusation of JIm Weston?
(a) He says he always behaves suspiciously.
(b) He says he has heard that he buries a lot of feathers in his back yard.
(c) He says he just looks like the type of guy who would do such a thing.
(d) He says he has seen odd-shaped bulges in his coat pockets.
2. How does Joe Clarke respond to Deacon Simms' suggestion about the jail?
(a) He agrees and wants to hear more.
(b) He laughs because he thinks it must be a joke.
(c) He isn't sure, but agrees to bring it up at the next town meeting.
(d) He is offended and argues.
3. What does Sister Taylor suggest that changes Sister Jones' mind about testifying?
(a) She convinces her that it is their civic responsibility to testify.
(b) She assures her that everyone else in town will be testifying, so she should join in.
(c) She says that the issue is not about Jim Weston, but about defending themselves from the Baptists.
(d) She convinces her that Jim Weston is really an honest, hard-working man who deserves their support.
4. According to Sister Taylor, what will ruin a person's eyesight?
(a) Having one's eye teeth pulled out.
(b) Reading without enough light.
(c) Handling a mule bone.
(d) Gossiping about neighbors.
5. What instrument does Jim Weston play?
(a) The accordion.
(b) The harmonica.
(c) The guitar.
(d) The fiddle.
6. What explanation does Deacon Lindsay give to explain why he doesn't want to talk to Sister Taylor?
(a) He is too busy and on his way to work.
(b) He heard that she has been gossiping about him.
(c) He says she is too ugly.
(d) She is a Baptist and he does not speak to Baptists.
7. Why is Joe Clarke so passionate about the town?
(a) He was born and raised there.
(b) It's the only place that he's ever lived.
(c) He put up the money to purchase and develop the land.
(d) He needs the town to maintain a positive reputation so that he can sell his property for a profit.
8. Why does Joe Clarke tell Marshal Lum Boger to save the mule bone?
(a) He needs to return it to Matt Brazzle.
(b) He needs it for evidence at the trial.
(c) He needs to return it to Joe Lindsay.
(d) He wants to make sure that no one else uses it as a weapon.
9. Why do some women challenge Joe Clarke's involvement in Jim Weston's trial?
(a) All of the women believe that he should bring in a judge from out of town.
(b) The Methodist women criticize him for holding the trial in a Baptist church.
(c) The Baptist women criticize him because he is a Methodist.
(d) Many women believe that he should not be the judge because the incident occurred on his property.
10. What does Dave Carter do after Jim Weston hits him?
(a) Falls unconscious.
(b) Staggers away, supported by Joe Clarke and Deacon Simms.
(c) Shakes his head and walks back out of town.
(d) Staggers away, supported by Daisy.
11. According to Deacon Lindsay, what does Sister Taylor smell like?
(a) Like a "neet of yellow hammers."
(b) Like "de devil's doll baby."
(c) Like a "louse in de church."
(d) Like a "nest of grand daddies."
12. How does Dave Carter react to Jim Weston's anger?
(a) He ignores him and escorts Daisy into the store so he can buy her a treat.
(b) He accuses Jim Weston of being an inferior musician.
(c) He punches Jim Weston in the stomach.
(d) He apologizes to his friend.
13. Where did Joe Lindsay find the mule bone?
(a) He says he found it behind the store.
(b) He says he found it while he was hunting.
(c) It is his good luck charm, so he never leaves home without it.
(d) He always carries it with him when he walks to town in order to fight off stray dogs.
14. What information does Sister Taylor share with Lum Boger in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) She tells him that Deacon Simms is looking for him.
(b) She tells him that Daisy deserves to be arrested, not Jim Weston.
(c) She tells him where the gavel is located.
(d) She tells him when and where the trial will be held.
15. Of what, in addition to assault, does Joe Clarke suggest that Jim Weston is guilty?
(a) Of stealing his chickens.
(b) Of mistreating women.
(c) Of being ungodly and not attending church.
(d) Of stealing from his store.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jim Weston begin to play music?
2. What does Sister Thomas think of Mrs. Blunt's reaction to the trial and the associated gossip?
3. How has Daisy's return to town affected Jim Weston and Dave Carter?
4. According to Sister Taylor, how ugly is Deacon Lindsay?
5. What complaint does Deacon Simms have about snakes?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)