|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dave Carter react to Jim Weston's anger?
(a) He ignores him and escorts Daisy into the store so he can buy her a treat.
(b) He accuses Jim Weston of being an inferior musician.
(c) He apologizes to his friend.
(d) He punches Jim Weston in the stomach.
2. For what crime is Jim Weston being tried?
(a) Disorderly conduct.
(b) Possession of an illegal weapon.
(c) Attempted murder.
(d) Assault and battery.
3. Why does the store owner at first refuse to give Mrs. Roberts the meat that she asks for?
(a) The meat is not very good quality.
(b) He believes that she has enough food.
(c) They have a longstanding feud.
(d) He is afraid of Mr. Roberts, who has warned him against giving food to her.
4. What game are the children playing in front of the store?
(b) Red rover.
(d) Chick-me, chick-me, cranie-crow.
5. Which of the following best describes Teets Miiller and Bootsie Pitts?
(a) They are tomboys who want to be included in the boys' games.
(b) They are demure and shy.
(c) They dress up and come to the store only to show off for the men.
(d) Men are attracted to them because of their dependability and modesty.
6. Why does Sister Jones say she won't testify for Jim Weston?
(a) She says she does not know enough about the fight.
(b) Her husband will not let her speak in court.
(c) She likes Dave Carter more and believes that he did not deserve to be beaten.
(d) She says she does not care what happens; she does not like Jim Weston or Dave Carter.
7. Describe the relationship between the Methodists and the Baptists in town.
(a) They do not agree on many ideas and do not get along.
(b) They are friendly toward one another.
(c) They are beginning to learn how to accept one another.
(d) They work together to fight corruption.
8. Which of the following best describes Sister Taylor's position about Daisy's involvement in the fight between Jim Weston and Dave Carter?
(a) Sister Taylor believes that Daisy caused it by showing off and teasing the men.
(b) Sister Taylor believes that men are responsible for their own actions.
(c) Sister Taylor believes that the two men would fight about any girl.
(d) Sister Taylor believes that Daisy is innocent; it is not her fault that men find her attractive.
9. What does Sister Taylor do to end the argument with the sassy young girl?
(a) She embarrasses the girl in front her friends.
(b) She calls the girl's mother over and lets the mother deal with her.
(c) She turns the girl over her knee and spanks her.
(d) She heads to the church to tell the girl's mother.
10. Why is Joe Clarke so passionate about the town?
(a) He needs the town to maintain a positive reputation so that he can sell his property for a profit.
(b) He put up the money to purchase and develop the land.
(c) It's the only place that he's ever lived.
(d) He was born and raised there.
11. What complaint does Joe Clarke make about Lum Boger?
(a) He says he is "dumb as a stump."
(b) He says he is lazy.
(c) He says he walks too slowly.
(d) He says he is disrespectful.
12. When will Jim Weston's trial begin?
(a) In a month.
(b) On Monday.
(c) The text does not state how long it will be until his trial.
(d) In two weeks.
13. How do the men at the store react to Daisy's arrival?
(a) They are embarrassed to speak to her.
(b) They suddenly become very formal and well-mannered.
(c) They flirt with Daisy and ask her to reveal which man she prefer, Jim or Dave.
(d) No one speaks to her, but they all stare at her.
14. What does Sister Thomas do after Reverend Childers and his group enter?
(a) She picks a fight with Deacon Lindsay.
(b) She sucks her teeth and turns her back to them.
(c) She begins singing a traditional Methodist hymn.
(d) She flips her skirt at them and exits.
15. What information does Sister Taylor share with Lum Boger in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) She tells him that Daisy deserves to be arrested, not Jim Weston.
(b) She tells him when and where the trial will be held.
(c) She tells him where the gavel is located.
(d) She tells him that Deacon Simms is looking for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave Carter do while Jim Weston plays music?
2. How does Joe Clarke respond to Deacon Simms' suggestion about the jail?
3. According to Deacon Simms, what kind of day is it in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. Why do some women challenge Joe Clarke's involvement in Jim Weston's trial?
5. How do Sisters Taylor and Thomas greet Joe Clarke when he arrives at the trial?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)