|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sister Taylor say she would do with Daisy if she were her mother?
(a) She says she would beat her for acting like a tramp.
(b) She says she would put her out of the house and let her support herself.
(c) She says she would send her back North to get her away from the men.
(d) She says she would not allow her out of the house.
2. What assurance does Deacon Simms give Sisters Taylor and Thomas?
(a) He assures them that Jim Weston will get the punishment he deserves.
(b) He assures them that not only will Jim Weston be cleared, but they may get a new mayor.
(c) He assures them that they will both get a chance to testify at the trial.
(d) He assures them that the trial will be quick and fair.
3. What does Sister Thomas do after Reverend Childers and his group enter?
(a) She picks a fight with Deacon Lindsay.
(b) She begins singing a traditional Methodist hymn.
(c) She sucks her teeth and turns her back to them.
(d) She flips her skirt at them and exits.
4. Which of the following best describes the exchange between Sister Taylor and Deacon Lindsay?
(a) They playfully tease each other.
(b) They say little, but they exchange vicious glances.
(c) Their exchange leads to improved relations between both sides.
(d) They criticize each other and threaten to fight.
5. What do the men at the store begin to talk about after Jim Weston and Dave Carter arrive?
(a) They return to talking about the town's snake problem.
(b) They talk about who will win Daisy's heart.
(c) They talk about the weather and how it will affect the harvest.
(d) They go back to arguing about whether the town needs a jail.
6. What is Mary Ella's criticism about the Methodist Church?
(a) She says that it might be big, but they do not have enough members to fill it.
(b) She says that no matter how nice it looks, God does not visit there.
(c) She says the Methodist Church does not have a church bell.
(d) She says that it does not have any windows and it is located in the swamp.
7. Why does the store owner at first refuse to give Mrs. Roberts the meat that she asks for?
(a) He is afraid of Mr. Roberts, who has warned him against giving food to her.
(b) The meat is not very good quality.
(c) He believes that she has enough food.
(d) They have a longstanding feud.
8. According to Sister Taylor, what will be the cause of the next trial?
(a) Daisy will be on trial for causing all of the turmoil in town.
(b) She will be on trial for beating some of the Baptists.
(c) Deacon Lindsay will be on trial for beating a woman.
(d) She will be on trial for beating other people's children.
9. Who orders Jim' Weston's arrest?
(a) Deacon Simms.
(c) Marshal Lum Boger.
(d) Joe Clarke.
10. Where did Joe Lindsay find the mule bone?
(a) He says he found it behind the store.
(b) It is his good luck charm, so he never leaves home without it.
(c) He always carries it with him when he walks to town in order to fight off stray dogs.
(d) He says he found it while he was hunting.
11. Why does Jim Weston get angry with Dave Carter in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) He accuses him of not listening and not appreciating his music.
(b) He was supposed to be playing the fiddle.
(c) He thinks he is mocking him.
(d) He accuses him of being unfair and taking advantage of the situation.
12. How do the sisters Taylor and Thomas treat Deacon Simms when he arrives?
(a) They ignore him and continue their own conversation.
(b) They criticize him and verbally harrass him.
(c) They are supportive and wish him luck.
(d) They ask to pray with him for a peaceful resolution to the trial.
13. Where is the notice of Jim Weston's trial displayed?
(a) It is posted in Joe Clarke's store.
(b) It is not posted; everyone just knows about it.
(c) It is posted on both church doors.
(d) It is tacked to a big oak tree in town.
14. Why does Joe Clarke tell Marshal Lum Boger to save the mule bone?
(a) He needs to return it to Joe Lindsay.
(b) He needs it for evidence at the trial.
(c) He wants to make sure that no one else uses it as a weapon.
(d) He needs to return it to Matt Brazzle.
15. According to Sister Taylor, what will ruin a person's eyesight?
(a) Reading without enough light.
(b) Handling a mule bone.
(c) Gossiping about neighbors.
(d) Having one's eye teeth pulled out.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Sister Taylor, how ugly is Deacon Lindsay?
2. What explanation does Sister Thomas offer to explain Joe Clarke's decisions regarding the trial?
3. With what does Jim Weston hit Dave Carter?
4. What does Joe Clarke realize that he needs to get from the lodge room before he goes to the trial?
5. What evidence does Joe Clarke offer to support his accusation of JIm Weston?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)