|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dave Carter buy for Daisy?
(a) Some kettle corn.
(b) An ice cream cone.
(c) Cotton candy.
(d) A red soda.
2. What does Dave Carter do after Jim Weston hits him?
(a) Shakes his head and walks back out of town.
(b) Falls unconscious.
(c) Staggers away, supported by Daisy.
(d) Staggers away, supported by Joe Clarke and Deacon Simms.
3. Which of the following best describes Sister Taylor's position about Daisy's involvement in the fight between Jim Weston and Dave Carter?
(a) Sister Taylor believes that Daisy is innocent; it is not her fault that men find her attractive.
(b) Sister Taylor believes that Daisy caused it by showing off and teasing the men.
(c) Sister Taylor believes that men are responsible for their own actions.
(d) Sister Taylor believes that the two men would fight about any girl.
4. According to Sister Taylor, how ugly is Deacon Lindsay?
(a) He is so ugly that his wife puts a sheet over his head so sleep can sneak up on him.
(b) He is so ugly that he does not need a mask for Halloween.
(c) He is so ugly that he scares the cows and their milk dries up.
(d) He is so ugly that children run away from him.
5. Which of the following best describes Teets Miiller and Bootsie Pitts?
(a) Men are attracted to them because of their dependability and modesty.
(b) They are tomboys who want to be included in the boys' games.
(c) They are demure and shy.
(d) They dress up and come to the store only to show off for the men.
6. Why does Joe Clarke tell Marshal Lum Boger to save the mule bone?
(a) He needs it for evidence at the trial.
(b) He wants to make sure that no one else uses it as a weapon.
(c) He needs to return it to Joe Lindsay.
(d) He needs to return it to Matt Brazzle.
7. Who orders Jim' Weston's arrest?
(a) Deacon Simms.
(c) Marshal Lum Boger.
(d) Joe Clarke.
8. What instrument does Jim Weston play?
(a) The guitar.
(b) The fiddle.
(c) The accordion.
(d) The harmonica.
9. What part of Joe Clarke's appearance does Sister Thomas criticize?
(a) She says he has a huge stomach.
(b) She says he has short, stubby legs.
(c) She says he has a flat nose.
(d) She says his hair looks like a nest of beavers.
10. According to Deacon Simms, why does the town need a jail?
(a) The jail will provide some much-needed jobs.
(b) The town is full of lawlessness.
(c) The church basement is overcrowded with prisoners.
(d) The jail will bring in government money.
11. Why does Daisy return to the store in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) She is coming in to work her shift at the store.
(b) She forgot to pick something up for her mother.
(c) She hears Jim Weston and Dave Carter's music,
(d) She left her pocketbook at the store.
12. What does Deacon Simms say he will use as his legal reference during the trial?
(a) He says he will use his own legal knowledge and experience.
(b) He says he will use the law books that he borrowed from the library.
(c) He says he will use the evidence and let that speak for itself.
(d) He says he will use the Bible, from beginning to end.
13. What does Dave Carter do while Jim Weston plays music?
(a) He goes into the store to shop.
(b) He dances, eventually dancing with Daisy.
(c) He wanders off to play poker.
(d) He joins in by singing.
14. What game are the children playing in front of the store?
(a) Chick-me, chick-me, cranie-crow.
(b) Red rover.
15. Who is Joe Clarke?
(a) He is one of the men in love with Daisy.
(b) He is the Methodist minister.
(c) He is the Baptist minister.
(d) He is the owner of the general store and the mayor of the town.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the men at the store react to Mrs. Roberts' plight?
2. How does Daisy respond to the question of whether she prefers Jim Weston or Dave Carter?
3. When will Jim Weston's trial begin?
4. How do Jim Weston and Dave Carter react to Daisy's return?
5. According to Deacon Lindsay, what does Sister Taylor smell like?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)