Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color shirt is Dave Carter wearing?
(b) The text does not reveal the color.
2. Why does Jim Weston get angry with Dave Carter in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) He was supposed to be playing the fiddle.
(b) He accuses him of being unfair and taking advantage of the situation.
(c) He accuses him of not listening and not appreciating his music.
(d) He thinks he is mocking him.
3. How do the men at the store react to the arrival of Teets Miller and Bootsie Pitts?
(a) They agree that both women are just as pretty as Daisy.
(b) They do not even notice.
(c) They are too shy to speak to them directly.
(d) They agree that the women are attractive, but not as attractive as Daisy.
4. According to Sister Taylor, how ugly is Deacon Lindsay?
(a) He is so ugly that children run away from him.
(b) He is so ugly that his wife puts a sheet over his head so sleep can sneak up on him.
(c) He is so ugly that he does not need a mask for Halloween.
(d) He is so ugly that he scares the cows and their milk dries up.
5. According to Deacon Simms, why does the town need a jail?
(a) The jail will provide some much-needed jobs.
(b) The church basement is overcrowded with prisoners.
(c) The jail will bring in government money.
(d) The town is full of lawlessness.
6. Why does Sister Taylor doubt that the girl's mother will influence the girl?
(a) She knows that the mother tries but has no control over the daughter.
(b) She says that a child that mean will not listen to anyone.
(c) She knows that the girl only listens to her father.
(d) She says the girl's mother does not behave any better than the daughter.
7. How does Deacon Lindsay respond to Sister Taylor's and Sister Thomas' actions in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) He is offended and turns to leave.
(b) He laughs because he thinks they are behaving like children.
(c) He gets angry and wants to know why they aren't speaking.
(d) He extends his hand and asks for a reconciliation.
8. On what errand does Joe Clarke send Lum Boger?
(a) To get the gavel.
(b) To get the witnesses.
(c) To work at the store during the trial.
(d) To get Jim Weston and the mule bone from the barn.
9. How does Daisy respond to the question of whether she prefers Jim Weston or Dave Carter?
(a) She says she prefers Jim Weston.
(b) She says that she is not interested in either.
(c) She will not say who she would choose.
(d) She says she prefers Dave Carter.
10. What does Sister Taylor say she would do with Daisy if she were her mother?
(a) She says she would not allow her out of the house.
(b) She says she would beat her for acting like a tramp.
(c) She says she would put her out of the house and let her support herself.
(d) She says she would send her back North to get her away from the men.
11. How do the sisters Taylor and Thomas treat Deacon Simms when he arrives?
(a) They ask to pray with him for a peaceful resolution to the trial.
(b) They ignore him and continue their own conversation.
(c) They criticize him and verbally harrass him.
(d) They are supportive and wish him luck.
12. Where is the notice of Jim Weston's trial displayed?
(a) It is not posted; everyone just knows about it.
(b) It is posted on both church doors.
(c) It is tacked to a big oak tree in town.
(d) It is posted in Joe Clarke's store.
13. With what does Jim Weston hit Dave Carter?
(a) A chair from the porch.
(b) A broken soda bottle.
(c) A mule bone.
(d) His fist.
14. What does Joe Clarke realize that he needs to get from the lodge room before he goes to the trial?
(a) The gavel.
(b) His judge's robe.
(c) The evidence.
(d) The list of charges.
15. According to Sister Taylor, what will be the cause of the next trial?
(a) She will be on trial for beating other people's children.
(b) She will be on trial for beating some of the Baptists.
(c) Daisy will be on trial for causing all of the turmoil in town.
(d) Deacon Lindsay will be on trial for beating a woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the children react to Sister Taylor's reprimands?
2. What complaint does Joe Clarke make about Lum Boger?
3. What does Sister Taylor think of Mrs. Blunt's reaction to the trial and the associated gossip?
4. What does Sister Thomas think of Mrs. Blunt's reaction to the trial and the associated gossip?
5. Where is Jim Weston held until his trial?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)