|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dave Carter strike back at Jim Weston?
(a) Jim Weston breaks his nose.
(b) Jim Weston causes Dave Carter to spill red soda all over his shirt.
(c) Jim Weston makes a rude comment about Dave Carter's mother.
(d) Jim Weston accidentally hits Daisy when he swings at Dave.Carter.
2. According to Deacon Simms, what kind of day is it in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) It is a chilly day.
(b) It is a cloudy day.
(c) It is a hot day.
(d) It is a windy day.
3. Where did Joe Lindsay find the mule bone?
(a) It is his good luck charm, so he never leaves home without it.
(b) He always carries it with him when he walks to town in order to fight off stray dogs.
(c) He says he found it behind the store.
(d) He says he found it while he was hunting.
4. Why does Jim Weston jump up to fight Dave Carter in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) He think that Dave Carter is laughing at him.
(b) His pride is hurt and he wants to fight to defend his honor.
(c) Dave Carter steps on his foot when he leaves the store.
(d) He is jealous and wants to fight for Daisy's love.
5. What does Sister Taylor do to end the argument with the sassy young girl?
(a) She heads to the church to tell the girl's mother.
(b) She embarrasses the girl in front her friends.
(c) She calls the girl's mother over and lets the mother deal with her.
(d) She turns the girl over her knee and spanks her.
6. According to Mrs. Roberts, why should the store owner give her some meat?
(a) He owes her money for some eggs that she traded.
(b) Her husband doesn't provide enough for her and her children.
(c) Their religion requires that he take care of the poor.
(d) He gave meat to her neighbor, so it is only fair that he do the same for her.
7. According to Sister Taylor, what will ruin a person's eyesight?
(a) Reading without enough light.
(b) Having one's eye teeth pulled out.
(c) Gossiping about neighbors.
(d) Handling a mule bone.
8. What does Daisy think of Jim Weston and Dave Carter's music?
(a) She refuses to comment.
(b) She is not really interested in music.
(c) She does not like the kind of music they play.
(d) She likes it.
9. What does Dave Carter do after Jim Weston hits him?
(a) Shakes his head and walks back out of town.
(b) Staggers away, supported by Daisy.
(c) Staggers away, supported by Joe Clarke and Deacon Simms.
(d) Falls unconscious.
10. What does Deacon Simms discuss after he moves beyond the subject of snakes?
(a) He begins to gossip about Daisy Blunt.
(b) He wants to know what the men think about Mrs. Roberts.
(c) He begins to preach about changes that the town needs.
(d) He wants to talk about making improvements to the town's school.
11. What does Dave Carter buy for Daisy?
(a) An ice cream cone.
(b) A red soda.
(c) Cotton candy.
(d) Some kettle corn.
12. Where has Daisy been before her return to town?
(a) She was in prison for a suspicious accident.
(b) She was in the North working for a white family.
(c) She was away at college.
(d) No one knows where she has been.
13. Why does Sister Jones say she won't testify for Jim Weston?
(a) Her husband will not let her speak in court.
(b) She says she does not know enough about the fight.
(c) She says she does not care what happens; she does not like Jim Weston or Dave Carter.
(d) She likes Dave Carter more and believes that he did not deserve to be beaten.
14. How has Daisy's return to town affected Jim Weston and Dave Carter?
(a) Daisy's return to town has put a strain on their friendship.
(b) Dave Carter is distracted by her attention, but Jim Weston is ignoring her.
(c) It has not affected them at all.
(d) Jim Weston is distracted by her attention, but Dave Carter is ignoring her.
15. According to Sister Taylor, what will be the cause of the next trial?
(a) She will be on trial for beating other people's children.
(b) She will be on trial for beating some of the Baptists.
(c) Daisy will be on trial for causing all of the turmoil in town.
(d) Deacon Lindsay will be on trial for beating a woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the store owner at first refuse to give Mrs. Roberts the meat that she asks for?
2. Where have Jim Weston and Dave Carter been before they arrive at the store in Act 1, Scene 1?
3. How do Jim Weston and Dave Carter react to Daisy's return?
4. What color shirt is Dave Carter wearing?
5. Why does Jim Weston begin to play music?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)