|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the children react to Sister Taylor's reprimands?
(a) They say nothing, but look sheepish and wander away.
(b) They apologize and head home.
(c) They quiet down, but continue with their fighting after she leaves.
(d) They tease her and shake themselves at her.
2. Why does Joe Clarke tell Marshal Lum Boger to save the mule bone?
(a) He wants to make sure that no one else uses it as a weapon.
(b) He needs to return it to Matt Brazzle.
(c) He needs to return it to Joe Lindsay.
(d) He needs it for evidence at the trial.
3. How do Sisters Taylor and Thomas greet Joe Clarke when he arrives at the trial?
(a) They criticize him for taking the Baptist side of the argument.
(b) They ignore him and do not speak to him at all.
(c) They wish him luck.
(d) They ask to pray with him for a peaceful resolution to the trial.
4. Why does the store owner at first refuse to give Mrs. Roberts the meat that she asks for?
(a) He is afraid of Mr. Roberts, who has warned him against giving food to her.
(b) The meat is not very good quality.
(c) He believes that she has enough food.
(d) They have a longstanding feud.
5. Why does Joe Lindsay bring the mule bone to the store?
(a) He wants to show it to the other men.
(b) He uses it to protect himself from stray dogs.
(c) He believes it will bring him luck.
(d) He wants to return it to its rightful owner.
6. According to Sister Taylor, what will be the cause of the next trial?
(a) Deacon Lindsay will be on trial for beating a woman.
(b) She will be on trial for beating some of the Baptists.
(c) She will be on trial for beating other people's children.
(d) Daisy will be on trial for causing all of the turmoil in town.
7. What does Deacon Simms suggest they do about the problem of snakes in the area?
(a) He says that they need to put out traps for them and relocate the snakes.
(b) He says they need to cut down the weeds around town.
(c) He says that they should leave them alone since even snakes serve God's purpose.
(d) He says they need to hold a prayer service to drive the snakes out of the area.
8. What does Sister Taylor call the Baptist children?
(a) "Devil's chillen."
(b) "You all varmints."
(c) "Limbs of Satan."
(d) "Lil Baptis' Haitians."
9. What assurance does Deacon Simms give Sisters Taylor and Thomas?
(a) He assures them that they will both get a chance to testify at the trial.
(b) He assures them that Jim Weston will get the punishment he deserves.
(c) He assures them that not only will Jim Weston be cleared, but they may get a new mayor.
(d) He assures them that the trial will be quick and fair.
10. How do the sisters Taylor and Thomas treat Deacon Simms when he arrives?
(a) They ask to pray with him for a peaceful resolution to the trial.
(b) They ignore him and continue their own conversation.
(c) They criticize him and verbally harrass him.
(d) They are supportive and wish him luck.
11. According to Deacon Lindsay, what does Sister Taylor smell like?
(a) Like a "nest of grand daddies."
(b) Like a "louse in de church."
(c) Like "de devil's doll baby."
(d) Like a "neet of yellow hammers."
12. What does Sister Taylor say she would do with Daisy if she were her mother?
(a) She says she would send her back North to get her away from the men.
(b) She says she would put her out of the house and let her support herself.
(c) She says she would beat her for acting like a tramp.
(d) She says she would not allow her out of the house.
13. Who places Jim Weston under arrest?
(a) Dave Carter.
(b) Deacon Simms.
(c) Joe Clarke.
(d) Marshal Lum Boger.
14. How has Daisy's return to town affected Jim Weston and Dave Carter?
(a) Dave Carter is distracted by her attention, but Jim Weston is ignoring her.
(b) Jim Weston is distracted by her attention, but Dave Carter is ignoring her.
(c) Daisy's return to town has put a strain on their friendship.
(d) It has not affected them at all.
15. According to Deacon Simms, what kind of day is it in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) It is a windy day.
(b) It is a cloudy day.
(c) It is a chilly day.
(d) It is a hot day.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the men at the store react to Daisy's arrival?
2. According to Deacon Simms, why does the town need a jail?
3. What explanation does Sister Thomas offer to explain Joe Clarke's decisions regarding the trial?
4. Which of the following best describes Teets Miiller and Bootsie Pitts?
5. On whose side is Joe Clarke in the matter of Jim Weston?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)