|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Joe Clarke?
(a) He is the Methodist minister.
(b) He is the Baptist minister.
(c) He is the owner of the general store and the mayor of the town.
(d) He is one of the men in love with Daisy.
2. What does Joe Clarke realize that he needs to get from the lodge room before he goes to the trial?
(a) The list of charges.
(b) The gavel.
(c) His judge's robe.
(d) The evidence.
3. According to Sister Taylor, how ugly is Deacon Lindsay?
(a) He is so ugly that he scares the cows and their milk dries up.
(b) He is so ugly that he does not need a mask for Halloween.
(c) He is so ugly that children run away from him.
(d) He is so ugly that his wife puts a sheet over his head so sleep can sneak up on him.
4. What does Sister Thomas do after Reverend Childers and his group enter?
(a) She flips her skirt at them and exits.
(b) She picks a fight with Deacon Lindsay.
(c) She begins singing a traditional Methodist hymn.
(d) She sucks her teeth and turns her back to them.
5. What does Sister Taylor suggest that changes Sister Jones' mind about testifying?
(a) She assures her that everyone else in town will be testifying, so she should join in.
(b) She convinces her that it is their civic responsibility to testify.
(c) She convinces her that Jim Weston is really an honest, hard-working man who deserves their support.
(d) She says that the issue is not about Jim Weston, but about defending themselves from the Baptists.
6. How do the men at the store react to Mrs. Roberts' plight?
(a) They all feel sorry for her and offer her money.
(b) They are all happy that none of them is married to her.
(c) They offer to help her home with her groceries.
(d) They are embarrassed by her presence and ignore her.
7. Where is Jim Weston held until his trial?
(a) Under house arrest.
(b) In Joe Clarke's barn.
(c) In the store's cellar.
(d) In the church basement.
8. What time is Jim Weston's trial scheduled to begin?
(b) Seven o'clock.
(c) Three o'clock.
(d) Four o'clock.
9. Why does Joe Clarke tell Marshal Lum Boger to save the mule bone?
(a) He needs to return it to Matt Brazzle.
(b) He wants to make sure that no one else uses it as a weapon.
(c) He needs to return it to Joe Lindsay.
(d) He needs it for evidence at the trial.
10. Who orders Jim' Weston's arrest?
(a) Deacon Simms.
(b) Marshal Lum Boger.
(c) Joe Clarke.
11. Of what, in addition to assault, does Joe Clarke suggest that Jim Weston is guilty?
(a) Of being ungodly and not attending church.
(b) Of stealing his chickens.
(c) Of mistreating women.
(d) Of stealing from his store.
12. How do the men in front of the store react to Deacon Simms' arrival?
(a) They begin to harass and verbally assault him.
(b) They welcome him to join their poker game.
(c) They try to ignore him, hoping that he will go away.
(d) They quickly hide their games and their winnings.
13. Which two characters are the first to speak in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Teets Miller and Bootsie Pitts
(b) Sister Jane Babler and Sister James
(c) Jim Weston and Joe Clarke
(d) Sister Lucy Taylor and Sister Thomas
14. What color shirt is Dave Carter wearing?
(c) The text does not reveal the color.
15. Why does Daisy return to the store in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) She is coming in to work her shift at the store.
(b) She left her pocketbook at the store.
(c) She hears Jim Weston and Dave Carter's music,
(d) She forgot to pick something up for her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What complaint does Deacon Simms have about snakes?
2. What assurance does Deacon Simms give Sisters Taylor and Thomas?
3. According to Deacon Lindsay, what does Sister Taylor smell like?
4. For what does Sister Taylor chastise the children in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. On what errand does Joe Clarke send Lum Boger?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)