|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what errand does Joe Clarke send Lum Boger?
(a) To get Jim Weston and the mule bone from the barn.
(b) To work at the store during the trial.
(c) To get the witnesses.
(d) To get the gavel.
2. According to Deacon Simms, what kind of day is it in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) It is a windy day.
(b) It is a hot day.
(c) It is a cloudy day.
(d) It is a chilly day.
3. Where is Jim Weston held until his trial?
(a) Under house arrest.
(b) In the church basement.
(c) In Joe Clarke's barn.
(d) In the store's cellar.
4. Where is Deaconr Simms headed when he meets Sisters Taylor and Thomas?
(a) He is looking for the evidence that will free Jim Weston.
(b) He is looking for Joe Clarke so the he can discuss the trial process.
(c) He is headed to the Baptist church to prepare for the trial.
(d) He is going to speak to Jim Weston before the trial.
5. What complaint does Joe Clarke make about Lum Boger?
(a) He says he is disrespectful.
(b) He says he is lazy.
(c) He says he is "dumb as a stump."
(d) He says he walks too slowly.
6. What does Deacon Simms discuss after he moves beyond the subject of snakes?
(a) He begins to preach about changes that the town needs.
(b) He wants to talk about making improvements to the town's school.
(c) He begins to gossip about Daisy Blunt.
(d) He wants to know what the men think about Mrs. Roberts.
7. What does Joe Clarke realize that he needs to get from the lodge room before he goes to the trial?
(a) The evidence.
(b) His judge's robe.
(c) The list of charges.
(d) The gavel.
8. How does Dave Carter react to Jim Weston's anger?
(a) He ignores him and escorts Daisy into the store so he can buy her a treat.
(b) He apologizes to his friend.
(c) He punches Jim Weston in the stomach.
(d) He accuses Jim Weston of being an inferior musician.
9. Of what, in addition to assault, does Joe Clarke suggest that Jim Weston is guilty?
(a) Of mistreating women.
(b) Of stealing from his store.
(c) Of stealing his chickens.
(d) Of being ungodly and not attending church.
10. Why does the store owner at first refuse to give Mrs. Roberts the meat that she asks for?
(a) The meat is not very good quality.
(b) He is afraid of Mr. Roberts, who has warned him against giving food to her.
(c) They have a longstanding feud.
(d) He believes that she has enough food.
11. What does Dave Carter do while Jim Weston plays music?
(a) He dances, eventually dancing with Daisy.
(b) He joins in by singing.
(c) He wanders off to play poker.
(d) He goes into the store to shop.
12. What instrument does Jim Weston play?
(a) The accordion.
(b) The harmonica.
(c) The guitar.
(d) The fiddle.
13. According to Deacon Lindsay, what does Sister Taylor smell like?
(a) Like a "nest of grand daddies."
(b) Like a "louse in de church."
(c) Like "de devil's doll baby."
(d) Like a "neet of yellow hammers."
14. Which of the following best describes Sister Taylor's position about Daisy's involvement in the fight between Jim Weston and Dave Carter?
(a) Sister Taylor believes that Daisy caused it by showing off and teasing the men.
(b) Sister Taylor believes that men are responsible for their own actions.
(c) Sister Taylor believes that Daisy is innocent; it is not her fault that men find her attractive.
(d) Sister Taylor believes that the two men would fight about any girl.
15. What are Joe Clarke and Deacon Simms doing when Jim Weston and Dave Carter arrive at the store?
(a) They are still arguing about the town.
(b) They are playing a friendly game of checkers.
(c) They are shaking hands and apologizing to each other.
(d) They are beating each other with the mule bone.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Sister Taylor, what is Joe Clarke trying to look like as he heads to the trial?
2. How does Deacon Lindsay respond to Sister Taylor's and Sister Thomas' actions in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. How do Sisters Taylor and Thomas greet Joe Clarke when he arrives at the trial?
4. How do Sisters Taylor and Thomas respond to Reverend Childers' greeting?
5. Who orders Jim' Weston's arrest?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)