|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Deaconr Simms headed when he meets Sisters Taylor and Thomas?
(a) He is headed to the Baptist church to prepare for the trial.
(b) He is looking for the evidence that will free Jim Weston.
(c) He is looking for Joe Clarke so the he can discuss the trial process.
(d) He is going to speak to Jim Weston before the trial.
2. How do the men at the store react to Daisy's arrival?
(a) They flirt with Daisy and ask her to reveal which man she prefer, Jim or Dave.
(b) No one speaks to her, but they all stare at her.
(c) They suddenly become very formal and well-mannered.
(d) They are embarrassed to speak to her.
3. Of what, in addition to assault, does Joe Clarke suggest that Jim Weston is guilty?
(a) Of mistreating women.
(b) Of stealing his chickens.
(c) Of being ungodly and not attending church.
(d) Of stealing from his store.
4. How do the sisters Taylor and Thomas treat Deacon Simms when he arrives?
(a) They are supportive and wish him luck.
(b) They ignore him and continue their own conversation.
(c) They ask to pray with him for a peaceful resolution to the trial.
(d) They criticize him and verbally harrass him.
5. What is Mary Ella's criticism about the Methodist Church?
(a) She says the Methodist Church does not have a church bell.
(b) She says that it might be big, but they do not have enough members to fill it.
(c) She says that it does not have any windows and it is located in the swamp.
(d) She says that no matter how nice it looks, God does not visit there.
6. Why does Joe Lindsay bring the mule bone to the store?
(a) He believes it will bring him luck.
(b) He wants to show it to the other men.
(c) He uses it to protect himself from stray dogs.
(d) He wants to return it to its rightful owner.
7. Who is Joe Clarke?
(a) He is one of the men in love with Daisy.
(b) He is the Methodist minister.
(c) He is the Baptist minister.
(d) He is the owner of the general store and the mayor of the town.
8. Where has Daisy been before her return to town?
(a) She was in the North working for a white family.
(b) No one knows where she has been.
(c) She was away at college.
(d) She was in prison for a suspicious accident.
9. How do Sisters Taylor and Thomas respond to Reverend Childers' greeting?
(a) They glare at him and simply grunt in reply.
(b) They immediately begin to criticize his position concerning the trial.
(c) They give him polite, strained smiles but do not respond.
(d) They ignore him and continue with their conversation.
10. What are Joe Clarke and Deacon Simms doing when Jim Weston and Dave Carter arrive at the store?
(a) They are beating each other with the mule bone.
(b) They are playing a friendly game of checkers.
(c) They are shaking hands and apologizing to each other.
(d) They are still arguing about the town.
11. How does Dave Carter react to Jim Weston's anger?
(a) He punches Jim Weston in the stomach.
(b) He ignores him and escorts Daisy into the store so he can buy her a treat.
(c) He apologizes to his friend.
(d) He accuses Jim Weston of being an inferior musician.
12. What does Deacon Simms suggest they do about the problem of snakes in the area?
(a) He says that they should leave them alone since even snakes serve God's purpose.
(b) He says that they need to put out traps for them and relocate the snakes.
(c) He says they need to cut down the weeds around town.
(d) He says they need to hold a prayer service to drive the snakes out of the area.
13. Why does Dave Carter strike back at Jim Weston?
(a) Jim Weston breaks his nose.
(b) Jim Weston causes Dave Carter to spill red soda all over his shirt.
(c) Jim Weston accidentally hits Daisy when he swings at Dave.Carter.
(d) Jim Weston makes a rude comment about Dave Carter's mother.
14. According to Deacon Lindsay, what does Sister Taylor smell like?
(a) Like a "nest of grand daddies."
(b) Like a "neet of yellow hammers."
(c) Like a "louse in de church."
(d) Like "de devil's doll baby."
15. Why does Daisy return to the store in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) She forgot to pick something up for her mother.
(b) She hears Jim Weston and Dave Carter's music,
(c) She left her pocketbook at the store.
(d) She is coming in to work her shift at the store.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jim Weston get angry with Dave Carter in Act 1, Scene 1?
2. What name does Sister Taylor call the girl who sasses back at her?
3. Who places Jim Weston under arrest?
4. Which of the following best describes the exchange between Sister Taylor and Deacon Lindsay?
5. Why does Daisy come to the store?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)