|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sister Taylor think of Mrs. Blunt's reaction to the trial and the associated gossip?
(a) She suggests that Mrs. Blunt must be angry about Daisy's behavior.
(b) She suggests that Mrs. Blunt does not care because she has not raised Daisy properly anyway.
(c) She suggests that Mrs. Blunt is a strong woman who will not let the trouble get to her.
(d) She suggests that Mrs. Blunt must be embarrassed by all of the attention.
2. According to Deacon Simms, what kind of day is it in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) It is a cloudy day.
(b) It is a hot day.
(c) It is a chilly day.
(d) It is a windy day.
3. With what does Jim Weston hit Dave Carter?
(a) His fist.
(b) A mule bone.
(c) A chair from the porch.
(d) A broken soda bottle.
4. How has Daisy's return to town affected Jim Weston and Dave Carter?
(a) Jim Weston is distracted by her attention, but Dave Carter is ignoring her.
(b) It has not affected them at all.
(c) Daisy's return to town has put a strain on their friendship.
(d) Dave Carter is distracted by her attention, but Jim Weston is ignoring her.
5. Which two characters are the first to speak in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Jim Weston and Joe Clarke
(b) Sister Lucy Taylor and Sister Thomas
(c) Teets Miller and Bootsie Pitts
(d) Sister Jane Babler and Sister James
6. Why does Daisy return to the store in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) She hears Jim Weston and Dave Carter's music,
(b) She is coming in to work her shift at the store.
(c) She left her pocketbook at the store.
(d) She forgot to pick something up for her mother.
7. What time is Jim Weston's trial scheduled to begin?
(a) Three o'clock.
(b) Four o'clock.
(d) Seven o'clock.
8. For what does Sister Taylor chastise the children in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) For teasing the Methodist children.
(b) For not including everyone in their games.
(c) For not going to church on Sunday.
(d) For getting in the way of the adults' work.
9. From which mule did the bone originally come?
(a) No one knows.
(b) Matt Brazzle's mean mule.
(c) The mule that escaped from Will Cody's pasture.
(d) Lum Boger's old mule.
10. Which of the following best describes the exchange between Sister Taylor and Deacon Lindsay?
(a) They say little, but they exchange vicious glances.
(b) Their exchange leads to improved relations between both sides.
(c) They criticize each other and threaten to fight.
(d) They playfully tease each other.
11. What assurance does Deacon Simms give Sisters Taylor and Thomas?
(a) He assures them that Jim Weston will get the punishment he deserves.
(b) He assures them that they will both get a chance to testify at the trial.
(c) He assures them that the trial will be quick and fair.
(d) He assures them that not only will Jim Weston be cleared, but they may get a new mayor.
12. What game are the children playing in front of the store?
(b) Red rover.
(d) Chick-me, chick-me, cranie-crow.
13. When the fighting children enter, what does Sister Taylor look for, and what does she intend to do with it?
(a) She looks for a rock to throw at the children.
(b) She looks for an easy exit so she can get away from the children.
(c) She looks for a stick with which she can hit the children.
(d) She looks for another adult to help back her up.
14. What does Sister Taylor do to end the argument with the sassy young girl?
(a) She embarrasses the girl in front her friends.
(b) She turns the girl over her knee and spanks her.
(c) She heads to the church to tell the girl's mother.
(d) She calls the girl's mother over and lets the mother deal with her.
15. What does Sister Thomas repeatedly say she needs to do before the trial?
(a) Change her clothes.
(b) Hang her laundry.
(c) Put the collard greens on to cook.
(d) Finish washing her dishes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the store owner at first refuse to give Mrs. Roberts the meat that she asks for?
2. Why does Jim Weston jump up to fight Dave Carter in Act 1, Scene 1?
3. Why does Joe Lindsay bring the mule bone to the store?
4. According to Deacon Simms, why does the town need a jail?
5. Where is Deaconr Simms headed when he meets Sisters Taylor and Thomas?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)