|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the store owner at first refuse to give Mrs. Roberts the meat that she asks for?
(a) The meat is not very good quality.
(b) He believes that she has enough food.
(c) They have a longstanding feud.
(d) He is afraid of Mr. Roberts, who has warned him against giving food to her.
2. Why do some women challenge Joe Clarke's involvement in Jim Weston's trial?
(a) Many women believe that he should not be the judge because the incident occurred on his property.
(b) The Methodist women criticize him for holding the trial in a Baptist church.
(c) All of the women believe that he should bring in a judge from out of town.
(d) The Baptist women criticize him because he is a Methodist.
3. What does Dave Carter do after Jim Weston hits him?
(a) Shakes his head and walks back out of town.
(b) Staggers away, supported by Joe Clarke and Deacon Simms.
(c) Falls unconscious.
(d) Staggers away, supported by Daisy.
4. What does Sister Thomas do after Reverend Childers and his group enter?
(a) She flips her skirt at them and exits.
(b) She begins singing a traditional Methodist hymn.
(c) She sucks her teeth and turns her back to them.
(d) She picks a fight with Deacon Lindsay.
5. What does Joe Clarke realize that he needs to get from the lodge room before he goes to the trial?
(a) The evidence.
(b) The gavel.
(c) His judge's robe.
(d) The list of charges.
6. With what does Jim Weston hit Dave Carter?
(a) A mule bone.
(b) A broken soda bottle.
(c) A chair from the porch.
(d) His fist.
7. What game are the children playing in front of the store?
(b) Red rover.
(d) Chick-me, chick-me, cranie-crow.
8. How does Deacon Lindsay respond to Sister Taylor's and Sister Thomas' actions in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) He extends his hand and asks for a reconciliation.
(b) He is offended and turns to leave.
(c) He gets angry and wants to know why they aren't speaking.
(d) He laughs because he thinks they are behaving like children.
9. Where is Deaconr Simms headed when he meets Sisters Taylor and Thomas?
(a) He is looking for the evidence that will free Jim Weston.
(b) He is going to speak to Jim Weston before the trial.
(c) He is headed to the Baptist church to prepare for the trial.
(d) He is looking for Joe Clarke so the he can discuss the trial process.
10. According to Deacon Lindsay, what does Sister Taylor smell like?
(a) Like a "louse in de church."
(b) Like a "neet of yellow hammers."
(c) Like "de devil's doll baby."
(d) Like a "nest of grand daddies."
11. Which of the following best describes the exchange between Sister Taylor and Deacon Lindsay?
(a) They criticize each other and threaten to fight.
(b) Their exchange leads to improved relations between both sides.
(c) They say little, but they exchange vicious glances.
(d) They playfully tease each other.
12. What does Sister Taylor think of Mrs. Blunt's reaction to the trial and the associated gossip?
(a) She suggests that Mrs. Blunt does not care because she has not raised Daisy properly anyway.
(b) She suggests that Mrs. Blunt must be angry about Daisy's behavior.
(c) She suggests that Mrs. Blunt is a strong woman who will not let the trouble get to her.
(d) She suggests that Mrs. Blunt must be embarrassed by all of the attention.
13. Which of the following best describes the children's journey to the church?
(a) The Baptist children decide to go first, and the Methodist children follow.
(b) They all race the whole way there to see who will arrive first.
(c) Both the Baptist and the Methodist children are pushing and fighting to get there first.
(d) The Methodist children go first, and the Baptist children follow.
14. Who places Jim Weston under arrest?
(a) Joe Clarke.
(b) Deacon Simms.
(c) Dave Carter.
(d) Marshal Lum Boger.
15. Who is Joe Clarke?
(a) He is the Methodist minister.
(b) He is the Baptist minister.
(c) He is the owner of the general store and the mayor of the town.
(d) He is one of the men in love with Daisy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color shirt is Dave Carter wearing?
2. How do the men in front of the store react to Deacon Simms' arrival?
3. Why does Joe Lindsay bring the mule bone to the store?
4. Why does Daisy return to the store in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. Why does Joe Clarke tell Marshal Lum Boger to save the mule bone?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)