|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Joe Clarke chase away the children who are playing in front of the store?
(a) It is getting late and their parents will expect them home.
(b) They are noisy, and he cannot concentrate on his game.
(c) He does not really like children.
(d) The children almost broke a window in his store.
2. Where is Deaconr Simms headed when he meets Sisters Taylor and Thomas?
(a) He is going to speak to Jim Weston before the trial.
(b) He is looking for the evidence that will free Jim Weston.
(c) He is looking for Joe Clarke so the he can discuss the trial process.
(d) He is headed to the Baptist church to prepare for the trial.
3. How do the sisters Taylor and Thomas treat Deacon Simms when he arrives?
(a) They are supportive and wish him luck.
(b) They ignore him and continue their own conversation.
(c) They ask to pray with him for a peaceful resolution to the trial.
(d) They criticize him and verbally harrass him.
4. What are Joe Clarke and Deacon Simms doing when Jim Weston and Dave Carter arrive at the store?
(a) They are playing a friendly game of checkers.
(b) They are beating each other with the mule bone.
(c) They are still arguing about the town.
(d) They are shaking hands and apologizing to each other.
5. Where have Jim Weston and Dave Carter been before they arrive at the store in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) They have been out working in the fields all day.
(b) They were at Daisy's house.
(c) They have been playing music at a whites-only club.
(d) They have been working up North at a white-owned factory.
6. Why do some women challenge Joe Clarke's involvement in Jim Weston's trial?
(a) The Baptist women criticize him because he is a Methodist.
(b) The Methodist women criticize him for holding the trial in a Baptist church.
(c) Many women believe that he should not be the judge because the incident occurred on his property.
(d) All of the women believe that he should bring in a judge from out of town.
7. What does Dave Carter do after Jim Weston hits him?
(a) Staggers away, supported by Joe Clarke and Deacon Simms.
(b) Staggers away, supported by Daisy.
(c) Falls unconscious.
(d) Shakes his head and walks back out of town.
8. Why does Sister Taylor doubt that the girl's mother will influence the girl?
(a) She knows that the girl only listens to her father.
(b) She knows that the mother tries but has no control over the daughter.
(c) She says that a child that mean will not listen to anyone.
(d) She says the girl's mother does not behave any better than the daughter.
9. What does Dave Carter buy for Daisy?
(a) A red soda.
(b) Cotton candy.
(c) An ice cream cone.
(d) Some kettle corn.
10. What does Daisy think of Jim Weston and Dave Carter's music?
(a) She refuses to comment.
(b) She likes it.
(c) She does not like the kind of music they play.
(d) She is not really interested in music.
11. What draws Joe Clarke's attention to Jim Weston and Dave Carter's fight?
(a) The noise of the crowd.
(b) Daisy runs into the store to get Joe Clarke when the men begin to fight.
(c) Deacon Simms runs in to get Joe Clarke when the men begin to fight.
(d) Their yelling at each other.
12. According to Sister Taylor, how ugly is Deacon Lindsay?
(a) He is so ugly that his wife puts a sheet over his head so sleep can sneak up on him.
(b) He is so ugly that children run away from him.
(c) He is so ugly that he does not need a mask for Halloween.
(d) He is so ugly that he scares the cows and their milk dries up.
13. According to Deacon Simms, what kind of day is it in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) It is a cloudy day.
(b) It is a chilly day.
(c) It is a hot day.
(d) It is a windy day.
14. Where did Joe Lindsay find the mule bone?
(a) He says he found it while he was hunting.
(b) He says he found it behind the store.
(c) He always carries it with him when he walks to town in order to fight off stray dogs.
(d) It is his good luck charm, so he never leaves home without it.
15. What color shirt is Dave Carter wearing?
(a) The text does not reveal the color.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the exchange between Sister Taylor and Deacon Lindsay?
2. How do Jim Weston and Dave Carter react to Daisy's return?
3. How do the men at the store react to Mrs. Roberts' plight?
4. Why does Dave Carter strike back at Jim Weston?
5. What is Mary Ella's criticism about the Methodist Church?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)