|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Deaconr Simms headed when he meets Sisters Taylor and Thomas?
(a) He is looking for Joe Clarke so the he can discuss the trial process.
(b) He is headed to the Baptist church to prepare for the trial.
(c) He is going to speak to Jim Weston before the trial.
(d) He is looking for the evidence that will free Jim Weston.
2. According to Deacon Simms, why does the town need a jail?
(a) The jail will bring in government money.
(b) The jail will provide some much-needed jobs.
(c) The church basement is overcrowded with prisoners.
(d) The town is full of lawlessness.
3. Who places Jim Weston under arrest?
(a) Marshal Lum Boger.
(b) Joe Clarke.
(c) Deacon Simms.
(d) Dave Carter.
4. For what does Sister Taylor chastise the children in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) For not going to church on Sunday.
(b) For teasing the Methodist children.
(c) For getting in the way of the adults' work.
(d) For not including everyone in their games.
5. How does Dave Carter react to Jim Weston's anger?
(a) He accuses Jim Weston of being an inferior musician.
(b) He ignores him and escorts Daisy into the store so he can buy her a treat.
(c) He punches Jim Weston in the stomach.
(d) He apologizes to his friend.
6. Of what, in addition to assault, does Joe Clarke suggest that Jim Weston is guilty?
(a) Of stealing from his store.
(b) Of being ungodly and not attending church.
(c) Of mistreating women.
(d) Of stealing his chickens.
7. Where did Joe Lindsay find the mule bone?
(a) He says he found it behind the store.
(b) He says he found it while he was hunting.
(c) It is his good luck charm, so he never leaves home without it.
(d) He always carries it with him when he walks to town in order to fight off stray dogs.
8. How does Daisy respond to the question of whether she prefers Jim Weston or Dave Carter?
(a) She says she prefers Jim Weston.
(b) She says that she is not interested in either.
(c) She says she prefers Dave Carter.
(d) She will not say who she would choose.
9. What does Sister Taylor say she would do with Daisy if she were her mother?
(a) She says she would send her back North to get her away from the men.
(b) She says she would beat her for acting like a tramp.
(c) She says she would put her out of the house and let her support herself.
(d) She says she would not allow her out of the house.
10. Where is the notice of Jim Weston's trial displayed?
(a) It is not posted; everyone just knows about it.
(b) It is posted in Joe Clarke's store.
(c) It is posted on both church doors.
(d) It is tacked to a big oak tree in town.
11. How do Sisters Taylor and Thomas greet Joe Clarke when he arrives at the trial?
(a) They ask to pray with him for a peaceful resolution to the trial.
(b) They ignore him and do not speak to him at all.
(c) They criticize him for taking the Baptist side of the argument.
(d) They wish him luck.
12. What information does Sister Taylor share with Lum Boger in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) She tells him that Deacon Simms is looking for him.
(b) She tells him when and where the trial will be held.
(c) She tells him that Daisy deserves to be arrested, not Jim Weston.
(d) She tells him where the gavel is located.
13. Why does Sister Taylor doubt that the girl's mother will influence the girl?
(a) She says that a child that mean will not listen to anyone.
(b) She knows that the mother tries but has no control over the daughter.
(c) She says the girl's mother does not behave any better than the daughter.
(d) She knows that the girl only listens to her father.
14. Which of the following best describes Teets Miiller and Bootsie Pitts?
(a) Men are attracted to them because of their dependability and modesty.
(b) They dress up and come to the store only to show off for the men.
(c) They are tomboys who want to be included in the boys' games.
(d) They are demure and shy.
15. What does Sister Thomas repeatedly say she needs to do before the trial?
(a) Finish washing her dishes.
(b) Change her clothes.
(c) Put the collard greens on to cook.
(d) Hang her laundry.
Short Answer Questions
1. When will Jim Weston's trial begin?
2. According to Sister Taylor, what will ruin a person's eyesight?
3. Where has Daisy been before her return to town?
4. Who orders Jim' Weston's arrest?
5. What are Joe Clarke and Deacon Simms doing when Jim Weston and Dave Carter arrive at the store?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)