|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Joe Clarke and Deacon Simms doing when Jim Weston and Dave Carter arrive at the store?
(a) They are playing a friendly game of checkers.
(b) They are beating each other with the mule bone.
(c) They are still arguing about the town.
(d) They are shaking hands and apologizing to each other.
2. How do Sisters Taylor and Thomas respond to Reverend Childers' greeting?
(a) They ignore him and continue with their conversation.
(b) They immediately begin to criticize his position concerning the trial.
(c) They give him polite, strained smiles but do not respond.
(d) They glare at him and simply grunt in reply.
3. How do the men at the store react to the arrival of Teets Miller and Bootsie Pitts?
(a) They are too shy to speak to them directly.
(b) They do not even notice.
(c) They agree that the women are attractive, but not as attractive as Daisy.
(d) They agree that both women are just as pretty as Daisy.
4. Where is Deaconr Simms headed when he meets Sisters Taylor and Thomas?
(a) He is going to speak to Jim Weston before the trial.
(b) He is looking for the evidence that will free Jim Weston.
(c) He is looking for Joe Clarke so the he can discuss the trial process.
(d) He is headed to the Baptist church to prepare for the trial.
5. How has Daisy's return to town affected Jim Weston and Dave Carter?
(a) Jim Weston is distracted by her attention, but Dave Carter is ignoring her.
(b) Daisy's return to town has put a strain on their friendship.
(c) Dave Carter is distracted by her attention, but Jim Weston is ignoring her.
(d) It has not affected them at all.
6. Why does Dave Carter strike back at Jim Weston?
(a) Jim Weston breaks his nose.
(b) Jim Weston causes Dave Carter to spill red soda all over his shirt.
(c) Jim Weston makes a rude comment about Dave Carter's mother.
(d) Jim Weston accidentally hits Daisy when he swings at Dave.Carter.
7. What assurance does Deacon Simms give Sisters Taylor and Thomas?
(a) He assures them that Jim Weston will get the punishment he deserves.
(b) He assures them that they will both get a chance to testify at the trial.
(c) He assures them that the trial will be quick and fair.
(d) He assures them that not only will Jim Weston be cleared, but they may get a new mayor.
8. How do Jim Weston and Dave Carter react to Daisy's return?
(a) They immediately break into song.
(b) They are both too nervous to say anything.
(c) They begin to push and shove each other.
(d) They playfully criticize each other to try to impress Daisy.
9. What game are the children playing in front of the store?
(b) Chick-me, chick-me, cranie-crow.
(d) Red rover.
10. What does Dave Carter do while Jim Weston plays music?
(a) He goes into the store to shop.
(b) He dances, eventually dancing with Daisy.
(c) He wanders off to play poker.
(d) He joins in by singing.
11. What complaint does Deacon Simms have about snakes?
(a) The snakes keep eating his chicks.
(b) They are the only creature of which he is afraid.
(c) They are messengers of the devil and represent evil.
(d) He can never tell the difference between venomous and non-venomous snakes.
12. Which of the following best describes the exchange between Sister Taylor and Deacon Lindsay?
(a) They playfully tease each other.
(b) They criticize each other and threaten to fight.
(c) They say little, but they exchange vicious glances.
(d) Their exchange leads to improved relations between both sides.
13. How do the men in front of the store react to Deacon Simms' arrival?
(a) They begin to harass and verbally assault him.
(b) They quickly hide their games and their winnings.
(c) They welcome him to join their poker game.
(d) They try to ignore him, hoping that he will go away.
14. Where did Joe Lindsay find the mule bone?
(a) He says he found it behind the store.
(b) He says he found it while he was hunting.
(c) It is his good luck charm, so he never leaves home without it.
(d) He always carries it with him when he walks to town in order to fight off stray dogs.
15. What does Sister Taylor suggest that changes Sister Jones' mind about testifying?
(a) She assures her that everyone else in town will be testifying, so she should join in.
(b) She convinces her that Jim Weston is really an honest, hard-working man who deserves their support.
(c) She says that the issue is not about Jim Weston, but about defending themselves from the Baptists.
(d) She convinces her that it is their civic responsibility to testify.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sister Taylor call the Baptist children?
2. On what errand does Joe Clarke send Lum Boger?
3. What does Deacon Simms discuss after he moves beyond the subject of snakes?
4. Where have Jim Weston and Dave Carter been before they arrive at the store in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. How does Deacon Lindsay respond to Sister Taylor's and Sister Thomas' actions in Act 1, Scene 2?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)