|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Jim Weston held until his trial?
(a) Under house arrest.
(b) In Joe Clarke's barn.
(c) In the store's cellar.
(d) In the church basement.
2. How do Sisters Taylor and Thomas greet Joe Clarke when he arrives at the trial?
(a) They ignore him and do not speak to him at all.
(b) They criticize him for taking the Baptist side of the argument.
(c) They wish him luck.
(d) They ask to pray with him for a peaceful resolution to the trial.
3. What explanation does Deacon Lindsay give to explain why he doesn't want to talk to Sister Taylor?
(a) He is too busy and on his way to work.
(b) He heard that she has been gossiping about him.
(c) He says she is too ugly.
(d) She is a Baptist and he does not speak to Baptists.
4. Why does Sister Taylor doubt that the girl's mother will influence the girl?
(a) She knows that the mother tries but has no control over the daughter.
(b) She knows that the girl only listens to her father.
(c) She says the girl's mother does not behave any better than the daughter.
(d) She says that a child that mean will not listen to anyone.
5. Which of the following best describes Sister Taylor's position about Daisy's involvement in the fight between Jim Weston and Dave Carter?
(a) Sister Taylor believes that the two men would fight about any girl.
(b) Sister Taylor believes that men are responsible for their own actions.
(c) Sister Taylor believes that Daisy caused it by showing off and teasing the men.
(d) Sister Taylor believes that Daisy is innocent; it is not her fault that men find her attractive.
6. Why does Jim Weston jump up to fight Dave Carter in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) His pride is hurt and he wants to fight to defend his honor.
(b) He think that Dave Carter is laughing at him.
(c) He is jealous and wants to fight for Daisy's love.
(d) Dave Carter steps on his foot when he leaves the store.
7. Why do some women challenge Joe Clarke's involvement in Jim Weston's trial?
(a) All of the women believe that he should bring in a judge from out of town.
(b) Many women believe that he should not be the judge because the incident occurred on his property.
(c) The Methodist women criticize him for holding the trial in a Baptist church.
(d) The Baptist women criticize him because he is a Methodist.
8. What instrument does Jim Weston play?
(a) The fiddle.
(b) The accordion.
(c) The harmonica.
(d) The guitar.
9. Which of the following best describes the Baptist position on Jim Weston's guilt?
(a) They believe that he is innocent and should be released.
(b) They believe that he and Dave Carter should resolve the issue themselves.
(c) They believe that he should be imprisoned for at least a year.
(d) They believe that he should be expelled from the town.
10. What information does Sister Taylor share with Lum Boger in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) She tells him where the gavel is located.
(b) She tells him when and where the trial will be held.
(c) She tells him that Deacon Simms is looking for him.
(d) She tells him that Daisy deserves to be arrested, not Jim Weston.
11. Describe the relationship between the Methodists and the Baptists in town.
(a) They are friendly toward one another.
(b) They work together to fight corruption.
(c) They do not agree on many ideas and do not get along.
(d) They are beginning to learn how to accept one another.
12. Where is Deaconr Simms headed when he meets Sisters Taylor and Thomas?
(a) He is going to speak to Jim Weston before the trial.
(b) He is headed to the Baptist church to prepare for the trial.
(c) He is looking for the evidence that will free Jim Weston.
(d) He is looking for Joe Clarke so the he can discuss the trial process.
13. On whose side is Joe Clarke in the matter of Jim Weston?
(a) He is swayed by both sides of the argument and seems unable to make up his mind.
(b) He is impartial and approaches his role as a fair judge.
(c) He supports the Baptist position even though he is a Methodist.
(d) He believes that Jim Weston should be forgiven but should make restitution.
14. Which of the following best describes the exchange between Sister Taylor and Deacon Lindsay?
(a) Their exchange leads to improved relations between both sides.
(b) They criticize each other and threaten to fight.
(c) They playfully tease each other.
(d) They say little, but they exchange vicious glances.
15. According to Sister Taylor, how ugly is Deacon Lindsay?
(a) He is so ugly that his wife puts a sheet over his head so sleep can sneak up on him.
(b) He is so ugly that children run away from him.
(c) He is so ugly that he does not need a mask for Halloween.
(d) He is so ugly that he scares the cows and their milk dries up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What complaint does Joe Clarke make about Lum Boger?
2. What assurance does Deacon Simms give Sisters Taylor and Thomas?
3. What do the men at the store begin to talk about after Jim Weston and Dave Carter arrive?
4. How does Daisy respond to the question of whether she prefers Jim Weston or Dave Carter?
5. What does Daisy think of Jim Weston and Dave Carter's music?
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)