|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the men in front of the store react to Deacon Simms' arrival?
(a) They quickly hide their games and their winnings.
(b) They try to ignore him, hoping that he will go away.
(c) They welcome him to join their poker game.
(d) They begin to harass and verbally assault him.
2. How does Dave Carter react to Jim Weston's anger?
(a) He ignores him and escorts Daisy into the store so he can buy her a treat.
(b) He punches Jim Weston in the stomach.
(c) He accuses Jim Weston of being an inferior musician.
(d) He apologizes to his friend.
3. Why does Daisy come to the store?
(a) She wants to challenge the men to a high-stakes poker game.
(b) She needs to pick up some items for her mother.
(c) She needs to buy some stamps.
(d) She wants to show off her new dress for all of the men.
4. What complaint does Joe Clarke make about Lum Boger?
(a) He says he walks too slowly.
(b) He says he is "dumb as a stump."
(c) He says he is lazy.
(d) He says he is disrespectful.
5. Describe the relationship between the Methodists and the Baptists in town.
(a) They work together to fight corruption.
(b) They do not agree on many ideas and do not get along.
(c) They are friendly toward one another.
(d) They are beginning to learn how to accept one another.
6. What does Sister Taylor call the Baptist children?
(a) "Limbs of Satan."
(b) "Devil's chillen."
(c) "You all varmints."
(d) "Lil Baptis' Haitians."
7. Why does Jim Weston get angry with Dave Carter in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) He accuses him of not listening and not appreciating his music.
(b) He accuses him of being unfair and taking advantage of the situation.
(c) He was supposed to be playing the fiddle.
(d) He thinks he is mocking him.
8. What explanation does Deacon Lindsay give to explain why he doesn't want to talk to Sister Taylor?
(a) She is a Baptist and he does not speak to Baptists.
(b) He heard that she has been gossiping about him.
(c) He says she is too ugly.
(d) He is too busy and on his way to work.
9. What assurance does Deacon Simms give Sisters Taylor and Thomas?
(a) He assures them that Jim Weston will get the punishment he deserves.
(b) He assures them that the trial will be quick and fair.
(c) He assures them that not only will Jim Weston be cleared, but they may get a new mayor.
(d) He assures them that they will both get a chance to testify at the trial.
10. Where has Daisy been before her return to town?
(a) She was in the North working for a white family.
(b) She was away at college.
(c) She was in prison for a suspicious accident.
(d) No one knows where she has been.
11. What are Joe Clarke and Deacon Simms doing when Jim Weston and Dave Carter arrive at the store?
(a) They are still arguing about the town.
(b) They are playing a friendly game of checkers.
(c) They are beating each other with the mule bone.
(d) They are shaking hands and apologizing to each other.
12. As the evening progresses, what games do the men on the porch play?
(a) They alternate between cards and playing checkers.
(b) They play hangman.
(c) They play Scrabble.
(d) They shoot dice.
13. When will Jim Weston's trial begin?
(a) The text does not state how long it will be until his trial.
(b) In a month.
(c) On Monday.
(d) In two weeks.
14. According to Sister Taylor, what will be the cause of the next trial?
(a) She will be on trial for beating some of the Baptists.
(b) Daisy will be on trial for causing all of the turmoil in town.
(c) Deacon Lindsay will be on trial for beating a woman.
(d) She will be on trial for beating other people's children.
15. What does Daisy think of Jim Weston and Dave Carter's music?
(a) She likes it.
(b) She does not like the kind of music they play.
(c) She is not really interested in music.
(d) She refuses to comment.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the men at the store react to the arrival of Teets Miller and Bootsie Pitts?
2. Why does Jim Weston jump up to fight Dave Carter in Act 1, Scene 1?
3. Why does Dave Carter strike back at Jim Weston?
4. Why does Sister Taylor doubt that the girl's mother will influence the girl?
5. How does Joe Clarke respond to Deacon Simms' suggestion about the jail?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)