|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what does Jim Weston hit Dave Carter?
(a) A chair from the porch.
(b) His fist.
(c) A mule bone.
(d) A broken soda bottle.
2. For what crime is Jim Weston being tried?
(a) Disorderly conduct.
(b) Assault and battery.
(c) Attempted murder.
(d) Possession of an illegal weapon.
3. How do the men at the store react to the arrival of Teets Miller and Bootsie Pitts?
(a) They do not even notice.
(b) They agree that the women are attractive, but not as attractive as Daisy.
(c) They are too shy to speak to them directly.
(d) They agree that both women are just as pretty as Daisy.
4. What explanation does Sister Thomas offer to explain Joe Clarke's decisions regarding the trial?
(a) She says he sees it as his responsibility as mayor.
(b) She says Joe Clarke resents Jim Weston and is looking for an excuse to get him out of town.
(c) She says Joe Clarke is using the trial to challenge Deacon Simms.
(d) She says he knows that no one else will step up to take the leadership role.
5. According to Sister Taylor, what will ruin a person's eyesight?
(a) Gossiping about neighbors.
(b) Handling a mule bone.
(c) Having one's eye teeth pulled out.
(d) Reading without enough light.
6. What information does Sister Taylor share with Lum Boger in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) She tells him that Daisy deserves to be arrested, not Jim Weston.
(b) She tells him when and where the trial will be held.
(c) She tells him that Deacon Simms is looking for him.
(d) She tells him where the gavel is located.
7. What does Sister Taylor say she would do with Daisy if she were her mother?
(a) She says she would send her back North to get her away from the men.
(b) She says she would beat her for acting like a tramp.
(c) She says she would put her out of the house and let her support herself.
(d) She says she would not allow her out of the house.
8. What instrument does Jim Weston play?
(a) The guitar.
(b) The accordion.
(c) The harmonica.
(d) The fiddle.
9. Why do some women challenge Joe Clarke's involvement in Jim Weston's trial?
(a) The Methodist women criticize him for holding the trial in a Baptist church.
(b) All of the women believe that he should bring in a judge from out of town.
(c) Many women believe that he should not be the judge because the incident occurred on his property.
(d) The Baptist women criticize him because he is a Methodist.
10. What does Sister Taylor do to end the argument with the sassy young girl?
(a) She turns the girl over her knee and spanks her.
(b) She heads to the church to tell the girl's mother.
(c) She calls the girl's mother over and lets the mother deal with her.
(d) She embarrasses the girl in front her friends.
11. Where did Joe Lindsay find the mule bone?
(a) He always carries it with him when he walks to town in order to fight off stray dogs.
(b) He says he found it behind the store.
(c) He says he found it while he was hunting.
(d) It is his good luck charm, so he never leaves home without it.
12. Why does the store owner at first refuse to give Mrs. Roberts the meat that she asks for?
(a) The meat is not very good quality.
(b) He is afraid of Mr. Roberts, who has warned him against giving food to her.
(c) He believes that she has enough food.
(d) They have a longstanding feud.
13. What does Deacon Simms discuss after he moves beyond the subject of snakes?
(a) He begins to gossip about Daisy Blunt.
(b) He wants to talk about making improvements to the town's school.
(c) He wants to know what the men think about Mrs. Roberts.
(d) He begins to preach about changes that the town needs.
14. What does Dave Carter do after Jim Weston hits him?
(a) Falls unconscious.
(b) Staggers away, supported by Daisy.
(c) Staggers away, supported by Joe Clarke and Deacon Simms.
(d) Shakes his head and walks back out of town.
15. What are Joe Clarke and Deacon Simms doing when Jim Weston and Dave Carter arrive at the store?
(a) They are shaking hands and apologizing to each other.
(b) They are beating each other with the mule bone.
(c) They are still arguing about the town.
(d) They are playing a friendly game of checkers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Daisy return to the store in Act 1, Scene 1?
2. Which two characters are the first to speak in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. What draws Joe Clarke's attention to Jim Weston and Dave Carter's fight?
4. What color shirt is Dave Carter wearing?
5. Where is Jim Weston held until his trial?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)