|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Sister Jones say she won't testify for Jim Weston?
(a) She likes Dave Carter more and believes that he did not deserve to be beaten.
(b) She says she does not know enough about the fight.
(c) She says she does not care what happens; she does not like Jim Weston or Dave Carter.
(d) Her husband will not let her speak in court.
2. What does Sister Taylor think of Mrs. Blunt's reaction to the trial and the associated gossip?
(a) She suggests that Mrs. Blunt must be embarrassed by all of the attention.
(b) She suggests that Mrs. Blunt must be angry about Daisy's behavior.
(c) She suggests that Mrs. Blunt is a strong woman who will not let the trouble get to her.
(d) She suggests that Mrs. Blunt does not care because she has not raised Daisy properly anyway.
3. What does Dave Carter buy for Daisy?
(a) An ice cream cone.
(b) Cotton candy.
(c) A red soda.
(d) Some kettle corn.
4. What does Sister Thomas think of Mrs. Blunt's reaction to the trial and the associated gossip?
(a) She believes that Mrs. Blunt has been asking for trouble because she has not raised Daisy properly.
(b) She does not know why Mrs. Blunt is upset, since she is not directly involved in the trial.
(c) She believes that Mrs. Blunt must be overwhelmed by her daughter's role in the fight.
(d) She is smugly satisfied to see that Mrs. Blunt is in an awkward position.
5. Who places Jim Weston under arrest?
(a) Marshal Lum Boger.
(b) Dave Carter.
(c) Deacon Simms.
(d) Joe Clarke.
6. What are Joe Clarke and Deacon Simms doing when Jim Weston and Dave Carter arrive at the store?
(a) They are shaking hands and apologizing to each other.
(b) They are still arguing about the town.
(c) They are playing a friendly game of checkers.
(d) They are beating each other with the mule bone.
7. Why does the store owner at first refuse to give Mrs. Roberts the meat that she asks for?
(a) He is afraid of Mr. Roberts, who has warned him against giving food to her.
(b) They have a longstanding feud.
(c) He believes that she has enough food.
(d) The meat is not very good quality.
8. Where has Daisy been before her return to town?
(a) She was away at college.
(b) She was in prison for a suspicious accident.
(c) No one knows where she has been.
(d) She was in the North working for a white family.
9. What explanation does Deacon Lindsay give to explain why he doesn't want to talk to Sister Taylor?
(a) She is a Baptist and he does not speak to Baptists.
(b) He says she is too ugly.
(c) He heard that she has been gossiping about him.
(d) He is too busy and on his way to work.
10. What does Deacon Simms suggest they do about the problem of snakes in the area?
(a) He says that they need to put out traps for them and relocate the snakes.
(b) He says that they should leave them alone since even snakes serve God's purpose.
(c) He says they need to hold a prayer service to drive the snakes out of the area.
(d) He says they need to cut down the weeds around town.
11. Why does Joe Lindsay bring the mule bone to the store?
(a) He believes it will bring him luck.
(b) He wants to return it to its rightful owner.
(c) He wants to show it to the other men.
(d) He uses it to protect himself from stray dogs.
12. Describe the relationship between the Methodists and the Baptists in town.
(a) They are beginning to learn how to accept one another.
(b) They work together to fight corruption.
(c) They are friendly toward one another.
(d) They do not agree on many ideas and do not get along.
13. Where is Jim Weston held until his trial?
(a) Under house arrest.
(b) In the church basement.
(c) In the store's cellar.
(d) In Joe Clarke's barn.
14. When the fighting children enter, what does Sister Taylor look for, and what does she intend to do with it?
(a) She looks for a stick with which she can hit the children.
(b) She looks for a rock to throw at the children.
(c) She looks for an easy exit so she can get away from the children.
(d) She looks for another adult to help back her up.
15. How do the men in front of the store react to Deacon Simms' arrival?
(a) They welcome him to join their poker game.
(b) They quickly hide their games and their winnings.
(c) They begin to harass and verbally assault him.
(d) They try to ignore him, hoping that he will go away.
Short Answer Questions
1. From which mule did the bone originally come?
2. What does Sister Thomas do after Reverend Childers and his group enter?
3. What name does Sister Taylor call the girl who sasses back at her?
4. What draws Joe Clarke's attention to Jim Weston and Dave Carter's fight?
5. On what errand does Joe Clarke send Lum Boger?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)