|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what does Jim Weston hit Dave Carter?
(a) A mule bone.
(b) His fist.
(c) A chair from the porch.
(d) A broken soda bottle.
2. When will Jim Weston's trial begin?
(a) The text does not state how long it will be until his trial.
(b) In a month.
(c) In two weeks.
(d) On Monday.
3. What does Deacon Simms say he will use as his legal reference during the trial?
(a) He says he will use the evidence and let that speak for itself.
(b) He says he will use his own legal knowledge and experience.
(c) He says he will use the law books that he borrowed from the library.
(d) He says he will use the Bible, from beginning to end.
4. What complaint does Joe Clarke make about Lum Boger?
(a) He says he is disrespectful.
(b) He says he is lazy.
(c) He says he is "dumb as a stump."
(d) He says he walks too slowly.
5. How has Daisy's return to town affected Jim Weston and Dave Carter?
(a) It has not affected them at all.
(b) Daisy's return to town has put a strain on their friendship.
(c) Jim Weston is distracted by her attention, but Dave Carter is ignoring her.
(d) Dave Carter is distracted by her attention, but Jim Weston is ignoring her.
6. How does Daisy respond to the question of whether she prefers Jim Weston or Dave Carter?
(a) She says that she is not interested in either.
(b) She will not say who she would choose.
(c) She says she prefers Dave Carter.
(d) She says she prefers Jim Weston.
7. Which of the following best describes Sister Taylor's position about Daisy's involvement in the fight between Jim Weston and Dave Carter?
(a) Sister Taylor believes that Daisy caused it by showing off and teasing the men.
(b) Sister Taylor believes that men are responsible for their own actions.
(c) Sister Taylor believes that Daisy is innocent; it is not her fault that men find her attractive.
(d) Sister Taylor believes that the two men would fight about any girl.
8. Why does Jim Weston jump up to fight Dave Carter in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Dave Carter steps on his foot when he leaves the store.
(b) His pride is hurt and he wants to fight to defend his honor.
(c) He think that Dave Carter is laughing at him.
(d) He is jealous and wants to fight for Daisy's love.
9. What does Joe Clarke realize that he needs to get from the lodge room before he goes to the trial?
(a) The gavel.
(b) His judge's robe.
(c) The list of charges.
(d) The evidence.
10. What color shirt is Dave Carter wearing?
(d) The text does not reveal the color.
11. Why does Dave Carter strike back at Jim Weston?
(a) Jim Weston breaks his nose.
(b) Jim Weston causes Dave Carter to spill red soda all over his shirt.
(c) Jim Weston accidentally hits Daisy when he swings at Dave.Carter.
(d) Jim Weston makes a rude comment about Dave Carter's mother.
12. Why does Sister Taylor doubt that the girl's mother will influence the girl?
(a) She says the girl's mother does not behave any better than the daughter.
(b) She knows that the mother tries but has no control over the daughter.
(c) She knows that the girl only listens to her father.
(d) She says that a child that mean will not listen to anyone.
13. On what errand does Joe Clarke send Lum Boger?
(a) To work at the store during the trial.
(b) To get the witnesses.
(c) To get Jim Weston and the mule bone from the barn.
(d) To get the gavel.
14. Why does Jim Weston begin to play music?
(a) Daisy asks him to play for her.
(b) It is the only way he can express his love for Daisy.
(c) One of the men at the store requests a song.
(d) When he is nervous, he plays music.
15. According to Deacon Simms, why does the town need a jail?
(a) The town is full of lawlessness.
(b) The church basement is overcrowded with prisoners.
(c) The jail will provide some much-needed jobs.
(d) The jail will bring in government money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the children's journey to the church?
2. How does Dave Carter react to Jim Weston's anger?
3. How do the men at the store react to the arrival of Teets Miller and Bootsie Pitts?
4. Where is Deaconr Simms headed when he meets Sisters Taylor and Thomas?
5. Where did Joe Lindsay find the mule bone?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)