|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What evidence does Sister Hambo provide to prove that she is telling the truth?
(a) Everyone in town knows that she always tells the truth.
(b) She belongs to Macedonia Baptist Church and cannot lie.
(c) She has six children, and they are all as honest as she is.
(d) She swears on her mother's grave that she is telling the truth.
2. When will Jim Weston's trial begin?
(a) On Monday.
(b) In two weeks.
(c) The text does not state how long it will be until his trial.
(d) In a month.
3. Why does Daisy begin to cry when speaking to Jim Weston in Act 3?
(a) He threatens to leave her alone in the dark.
(b) He says a woman cannot be trusted.
(c) He says he does not love her and he never really loved her.
(d) He gets angry and slaps her.
4. How do the men in front of the store react to Deacon Simms' arrival?
(a) They begin to harass and verbally assault him.
(b) They try to ignore him, hoping that he will go away.
(c) They quickly hide their games and their winnings.
(d) They welcome him to join their poker game.
5. Why does the store owner at first refuse to give Mrs. Roberts the meat that she asks for?
(a) He is afraid of Mr. Roberts, who has warned him against giving food to her.
(b) The meat is not very good quality.
(c) He believes that she has enough food.
(d) They have a longstanding feud.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Sister Taylor chastise the children in Act 2, Scene 1?
2. How do the men at the store react to the arrival of Teets Miller and Bootsie Pitts?
3. What does Sister Taylor think of Mrs. Blunt's reaction to the trial and the associated gossip?
4. According to Deacon Simms, why does the town need a jail?
5. What problem do the Methodists have with the sermon that Reverend Childers preached on the day before the trial?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)