|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hambo accuses Deacon Simms of telling what lie?
(a) That Dave Carter stepped on Jim Weston's foot on purpose, but it was an accident.
(b) That Joe Clarke sells stale bread, and Hambo defends him.
(c) That Jim Weston's father was run out of town, but he was lynched by white people.
(d) That Dave Carter has another girlfriend in another town, but it is untrue.
2. What is missing when Joe Clarke tries to begin the trial?
(a) The witnesses.
(b) The gavel.
(c) The defendant.
(d) Dave Carter.
3. What does Sister Taylor suggest that Sister Lewis should do for her daughter?
(a) She should teach her how to properly wash herself.
(b) She should get her some new clothes so she does not have to wear sack cloth.
(c) She should get her buck teeth fixed.
(d) She should get the sheriff to make one of her many boyfriends marry her.
4. What evidence does Sister Hambo provide to prove that she is telling the truth?
(a) She swears on her mother's grave that she is telling the truth.
(b) She belongs to Macedonia Baptist Church and cannot lie.
(c) Everyone in town knows that she always tells the truth.
(d) She has six children, and they are all as honest as she is.
5. What evidence does Joe Clarke offer to support his accusation of JIm Weston?
(a) He says he has heard that he buries a lot of feathers in his back yard.
(b) He says he just looks like the type of guy who would do such a thing.
(c) He says he always behaves suspiciously.
(d) He says he has seen odd-shaped bulges in his coat pockets.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe Clarke realize that he needs to get from the lodge room before he goes to the trial?
2. How is Jim Weston escorted out of town?
3. Which of the following best describes the exchange between Sister Taylor and Deacon Lindsay?
4. What does Deacon Simms say he will use as his legal reference during the trial?
5. How does Sister Taylor defend herself when Joe Lindsay chastises her for arguing in church?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)