|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Deacon Simms accuses Dave Carter of what?
(a) Of lying to Jim Weston about his injuries.
(b) Of stealing Daisy away from Jim Weston.
(c) Of feeling jealous of Jim Weston.
(d) Of living an unclean life.
2. What argument does Deacon Simms use to defend Jim Weston?
(a) He says that Jim was full of rage and did not realize what he was doing.
(b) He says that according to white law and the Bible, a mule bone is not a weapon.
(c) He says that Jim was simply defending himself from Dave's angry tirade.
(d) He says that it was an innocent disagreement between friends, but not a crime.
3. According to the characters at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2, how are Reverend Childers and Deacon Simms different?
(a) Reverend Childers has been to college.
(b) Reverend Childers does not believe in baptism.
(c) Deacon Simms is unmarried.
(d) Deacon Simms has more formal education.
4. What is the setting of Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) 3 p.m. at the United Methodist Church.
(b) 4 p.m. at the United Methodist Church.
(c) Noon at the Macedonia Baptist Church.
(d) 3 p.m. at the Macedonia Baptist Church.
5. What evidence does Dave Carter present to prove that he is as clean as everybody else?
(a) He sniffs under his arm and declares himself clean.
(b) He says he goes swimming nearly every day.
(c) He lets Reverend Childers check for dirt behind his ears.
(d) He says he has had a bath that very day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave Carter do after Jim Weston hits him?
2. How does Daisy respond to Jim's anger over her visit with Dave Carter?
3. What information does Sister Taylor share with Lum Boger in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. According to Sister Taylor, how ugly is Deacon Lindsay?
5. Why does Dave Carter insist that no one in town has any right to determine Jim Weston's punishment?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)