|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Baptists respond to Jim Weston entering the church?
(a) They taunt him with chicken and rooster calls.
(b) In unison, they all turn their backs on him.
(c) The whisper about him as he walks up the aisle.
(d) They cheer him and shout words of encouragement.
2. What game are the children playing in front of the store?
(a) Chick-me, chick-me, cranie-crow.
(b) Red rover.
3. On whose side is Joe Clarke in the matter of Jim Weston?
(a) He is swayed by both sides of the argument and seems unable to make up his mind.
(b) He supports the Baptist position even though he is a Methodist.
(c) He believes that Jim Weston should be forgiven but should make restitution.
(d) He is impartial and approaches his role as a fair judge.
4. How do Sisters Taylor and Thomas greet Joe Clarke when he arrives at the trial?
(a) They criticize him for taking the Baptist side of the argument.
(b) They wish him luck.
(c) They ask to pray with him for a peaceful resolution to the trial.
(d) They ignore him and do not speak to him at all.
5. What does Sister Taylor call the Baptist children?
(a) "Devil's chillen."
(b) "Lil Baptis' Haitians."
(c) "You all varmints."
(d) "Limbs of Satan."
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jim Weston get angry with Dave Carter in Act 1, Scene 1?
2. What does Sister Taylor think of Mrs. Blunt's reaction to the trial and the associated gossip?
3. Why does Deacon Simms refuse to allow Reverend Childers to use his Bible?
4. Why does Joe Clarke chase away the children who are playing in front of the store?
5. What evidence does Joe Clarke offer to support his accusation of JIm Weston?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)