|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jim Weston get angry with Dave Carter in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) He thinks he is mocking him.
(b) He accuses him of not listening and not appreciating his music.
(c) He was supposed to be playing the fiddle.
(d) He accuses him of being unfair and taking advantage of the situation.
2. Why is the church bell rung?
(a) It was an accident; someone fell and grabbed the rope.
(b) Lum Boger rings the bell to signal the beginning of the trial.
(c) Deacon Simms rings the bell to draw attention to his client's case.
(d) Hambo rings the bell as a way of ushering Jim Weston out of town.
3. Why does Joe Lindsay bring the mule bone to the store?
(a) He believes it will bring him luck.
(b) He wants to show it to the other men.
(c) He uses it to protect himself from stray dogs.
(d) He wants to return it to its rightful owner.
4. According to Reverend Childers, what is the most dangerous weapon in the world?
(a) The anger of one friend toward another.
(b) A flirtatious woman.
(c) The hock bone of a mule.
(d) The jealousy of a man in love.
5. According to Deacon Simms, why does the town need a jail?
(a) The church basement is overcrowded with prisoners.
(b) The jail will bring in government money.
(c) The jail will provide some much-needed jobs.
(d) The town is full of lawlessness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hambo accuses Deacon Simms of telling what lie?
2. How do Sisters Taylor and Thomas greet Joe Clarke when he arrives at the trial?
3. Of what, in addition to assault, does Joe Clarke suggest that Jim Weston is guilty?
4. Why does Joe Clarke chase away the children who are playing in front of the store?
5. What complaint does Joe Clarke make about Lum Boger?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)