|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mary Ella's criticism about the Methodist Church?
(a) She says that no matter how nice it looks, God does not visit there.
(b) She says the Methodist Church does not have a church bell.
(c) She says that it might be big, but they do not have enough members to fill it.
(d) She says that it does not have any windows and it is located in the swamp.
2. According to Deacon Simms, why does the town need a jail?
(a) The church basement is overcrowded with prisoners.
(b) The jail will bring in government money.
(c) The jail will provide some much-needed jobs.
(d) The town is full of lawlessness.
3. Why does Joe Clarke tell Marshal Lum Boger to save the mule bone?
(a) He needs it for evidence at the trial.
(b) He needs to return it to Joe Lindsay.
(c) He wants to make sure that no one else uses it as a weapon.
(d) He needs to return it to Matt Brazzle.
4. According to Sister Taylor, what is Joe Clarke trying to look like as he heads to the trial?
(a) Like a brigadier general.
(b) Like a Puritan governor.
(c) Like a Supreme Court justice.
(d) Like a big-city lawyer.
5. What does Sister Taylor call the Baptist children?
(a) "Limbs of Satan."
(b) "You all varmints."
(c) "Lil Baptis' Haitians."
(d) "Devil's chillen."
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jim Weston get angry with Dave Carter in Act 1, Scene 1?
2. Why do some women challenge Joe Clarke's involvement in Jim Weston's trial?
3. What does Deacon Simms discuss after he moves beyond the subject of snakes?
4. Which of the following best describes Teets Miiller and Bootsie Pitts?
5. Why does Sister Taylor doubt that the girl's mother will influence the girl?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)