|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mrs. Roberts, why should the store owner give her some meat?
(a) He owes her money for some eggs that she traded.
(b) He gave meat to her neighbor, so it is only fair that he do the same for her.
(c) Their religion requires that he take care of the poor.
(d) Her husband doesn't provide enough for her and her children.
2. How do the sisters Taylor and Thomas treat Deacon Simms when he arrives?
(a) They criticize him and verbally harrass him.
(b) They ask to pray with him for a peaceful resolution to the trial.
(c) They ignore him and continue their own conversation.
(d) They are supportive and wish him luck.
3. What does Sister Thomas repeatedly say she needs to do before the trial?
(a) Put the collard greens on to cook.
(b) Change her clothes.
(c) Finish washing her dishes.
(d) Hang her laundry.
4. How does Joe Clarke defend himself against Sisters Taylor and Thomas when he arrives at the trial?
(a) He says he does not have to answer to anyone, especially to women.
(b) He says he understands their concerns, but he will not become a Baptist.
(c) He says he is not choosing sides; he only wants justice.
(d) He says they should all learn to look past their differences and get along with others.
5. What does Sister Taylor do to end the argument with the sassy young girl?
(a) She turns the girl over her knee and spanks her.
(b) She heads to the church to tell the girl's mother.
(c) She embarrasses the girl in front her friends.
(d) She calls the girl's mother over and lets the mother deal with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Deacon Simms discuss after he moves beyond the subject of snakes?
2. According to Sister Taylor, what will ruin a person's eyesight?
3. Why does Joe Lindsay bring the mule bone to the store?
4. How do the men at the store react to Mrs. Roberts' plight?
5. What draws Joe Clarke's attention to Jim Weston and Dave Carter's fight?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)