|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Deacon Simms suggest they do about the problem of snakes in the area?
(a) He says that they need to put out traps for them and relocate the snakes.
(b) He says they need to cut down the weeds around town.
(c) He says that they should leave them alone since even snakes serve God's purpose.
(d) He says they need to hold a prayer service to drive the snakes out of the area.
2. Why is Joe Clarke so passionate about the town?
(a) He needs the town to maintain a positive reputation so that he can sell his property for a profit.
(b) It's the only place that he's ever lived.
(c) He put up the money to purchase and develop the land.
(d) He was born and raised there.
3. What does Sister Taylor suggest that changes Sister Jones' mind about testifying?
(a) She convinces her that it is their civic responsibility to testify.
(b) She convinces her that Jim Weston is really an honest, hard-working man who deserves their support.
(c) She says that the issue is not about Jim Weston, but about defending themselves from the Baptists.
(d) She assures her that everyone else in town will be testifying, so she should join in.
4. Why does Joe Clarke chase away the children who are playing in front of the store?
(a) The children almost broke a window in his store.
(b) He does not really like children.
(c) It is getting late and their parents will expect them home.
(d) They are noisy, and he cannot concentrate on his game.
5. Why does the store owner at first refuse to give Mrs. Roberts the meat that she asks for?
(a) They have a longstanding feud.
(b) He believes that she has enough food.
(c) The meat is not very good quality.
(d) He is afraid of Mr. Roberts, who has warned him against giving food to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sister Thomas repeatedly say she needs to do before the trial?
2. How does Dave Carter react to Jim Weston's anger?
3. What part of Joe Clarke's appearance does Sister Thomas criticize?
4. Why does Dave Carter strike back at Jim Weston?
5. What time is Jim Weston's trial scheduled to begin?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)