|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Deacon Lindsay respond to Sister Taylor's and Sister Thomas' actions in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) He is offended and turns to leave.
(b) He extends his hand and asks for a reconciliation.
(c) He laughs because he thinks they are behaving like children.
(d) He gets angry and wants to know why they aren't speaking.
2. Where is Deaconr Simms headed when he meets Sisters Taylor and Thomas?
(a) He is headed to the Baptist church to prepare for the trial.
(b) He is going to speak to Jim Weston before the trial.
(c) He is looking for the evidence that will free Jim Weston.
(d) He is looking for Joe Clarke so the he can discuss the trial process.
3. What complaint does Deacon Simms have about snakes?
(a) They are messengers of the devil and represent evil.
(b) They are the only creature of which he is afraid.
(c) He can never tell the difference between venomous and non-venomous snakes.
(d) The snakes keep eating his chicks.
4. How do the men at the store react to Daisy's arrival?
(a) They suddenly become very formal and well-mannered.
(b) They flirt with Daisy and ask her to reveal which man she prefer, Jim or Dave.
(c) No one speaks to her, but they all stare at her.
(d) They are embarrassed to speak to her.
5. Why does Sister Jones say she won't testify for Jim Weston?
(a) Her husband will not let her speak in court.
(b) She says she does not care what happens; she does not like Jim Weston or Dave Carter.
(c) She says she does not know enough about the fight.
(d) She likes Dave Carter more and believes that he did not deserve to be beaten.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do some women challenge Joe Clarke's involvement in Jim Weston's trial?
2. What are Joe Clarke and Deacon Simms doing when Jim Weston and Dave Carter arrive at the store?
3. What instrument does Jim Weston play?
4. What does Deacon Simms discuss after he moves beyond the subject of snakes?
5. Which two characters are the first to speak in Act 2, Scene 1?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)