|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Daisy come to the store?
(a) She needs to buy some stamps.
(b) She wants to show off her new dress for all of the men.
(c) She wants to challenge the men to a high-stakes poker game.
(d) She needs to pick up some items for her mother.
2. What color shirt is Dave Carter wearing?
(c) The text does not reveal the color.
3. Why does Joe Clarke tell Marshal Lum Boger to save the mule bone?
(a) He needs to return it to Joe Lindsay.
(b) He needs to return it to Matt Brazzle.
(c) He wants to make sure that no one else uses it as a weapon.
(d) He needs it for evidence at the trial.
4. Where has Daisy been before her return to town?
(a) She was away at college.
(b) No one knows where she has been.
(c) She was in prison for a suspicious accident.
(d) She was in the North working for a white family.
5. What are Joe Clarke and Deacon Simms doing when Jim Weston and Dave Carter arrive at the store?
(a) They are still arguing about the town.
(b) They are beating each other with the mule bone.
(c) They are playing a friendly game of checkers.
(d) They are shaking hands and apologizing to each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dave Carter strike back at Jim Weston?
2. When will Jim Weston's trial begin?
3. Describe the relationship between the Methodists and the Baptists in town.
4. Who is Joe Clarke?
5. What does Deacon Simms discuss after he moves beyond the subject of snakes?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)