|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Deacon Simms, why does the town need a jail?
(a) The town is full of lawlessness.
(b) The jail will bring in government money.
(c) The jail will provide some much-needed jobs.
(d) The church basement is overcrowded with prisoners.
2. With what does Jim Weston hit Dave Carter?
(a) A mule bone.
(b) A chair from the porch.
(c) A broken soda bottle.
(d) His fist.
3. What complaint does Deacon Simms have about snakes?
(a) They are the only creature of which he is afraid.
(b) The snakes keep eating his chicks.
(c) They are messengers of the devil and represent evil.
(d) He can never tell the difference between venomous and non-venomous snakes.
4. How does Dave Carter react to Jim Weston's anger?
(a) He apologizes to his friend.
(b) He accuses Jim Weston of being an inferior musician.
(c) He ignores him and escorts Daisy into the store so he can buy her a treat.
(d) He punches Jim Weston in the stomach.
5. Why does Jim Weston get angry with Dave Carter in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) He accuses him of not listening and not appreciating his music.
(b) He accuses him of being unfair and taking advantage of the situation.
(c) He thinks he is mocking him.
(d) He was supposed to be playing the fiddle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jim Weston begin to play music?
2. Why is Joe Clarke so passionate about the town?
3. How does Daisy respond to the question of whether she prefers Jim Weston or Dave Carter?
4. How do the men at the store react to Daisy's arrival?
5. According to Mrs. Roberts, why should the store owner give her some meat?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)