|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Joe Clarke chase away the children who are playing in front of the store?
(a) The children almost broke a window in his store.
(b) It is getting late and their parents will expect them home.
(c) They are noisy, and he cannot concentrate on his game.
(d) He does not really like children.
2. How does Joe Clarke respond to Deacon Simms' suggestion about the jail?
(a) He laughs because he thinks it must be a joke.
(b) He is offended and argues.
(c) He isn't sure, but agrees to bring it up at the next town meeting.
(d) He agrees and wants to hear more.
3. How do the men at the store react to Mrs. Roberts' plight?
(a) They all feel sorry for her and offer her money.
(b) They are embarrassed by her presence and ignore her.
(c) They are all happy that none of them is married to her.
(d) They offer to help her home with her groceries.
4. Where is Jim Weston held until his trial?
(a) Under house arrest.
(b) In the store's cellar.
(c) In Joe Clarke's barn.
(d) In the church basement.
5. According to Mrs. Roberts, why should the store owner give her some meat?
(a) Their religion requires that he take care of the poor.
(b) He owes her money for some eggs that she traded.
(c) Her husband doesn't provide enough for her and her children.
(d) He gave meat to her neighbor, so it is only fair that he do the same for her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Teets Miiller and Bootsie Pitts?
2. According to Deacon Simms, why does the town need a jail?
3. Why does Joe Lindsay bring the mule bone to the store?
4. How do Jim Weston and Dave Carter react to Daisy's return?
5. As the evening progresses, what games do the men on the porch play?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)