|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the men in front of the store react to Deacon Simms' arrival?
(a) They begin to harass and verbally assault him.
(b) They try to ignore him, hoping that he will go away.
(c) They welcome him to join their poker game.
(d) They quickly hide their games and their winnings.
2. What complaint does Deacon Simms have about snakes?
(a) The snakes keep eating his chicks.
(b) They are messengers of the devil and represent evil.
(c) They are the only creature of which he is afraid.
(d) He can never tell the difference between venomous and non-venomous snakes.
3. Why does the store owner at first refuse to give Mrs. Roberts the meat that she asks for?
(a) The meat is not very good quality.
(b) They have a longstanding feud.
(c) He is afraid of Mr. Roberts, who has warned him against giving food to her.
(d) He believes that she has enough food.
4. Why does Joe Clarke tell Marshal Lum Boger to save the mule bone?
(a) He wants to make sure that no one else uses it as a weapon.
(b) He needs to return it to Matt Brazzle.
(c) He needs it for evidence at the trial.
(d) He needs to return it to Joe Lindsay.
5. What does Deacon Simms discuss after he moves beyond the subject of snakes?
(a) He begins to gossip about Daisy Blunt.
(b) He wants to talk about making improvements to the town's school.
(c) He begins to preach about changes that the town needs.
(d) He wants to know what the men think about Mrs. Roberts.
Short Answer Questions
1. When will Jim Weston's trial begin?
2. How do the men at the store react to Mrs. Roberts' plight?
3. How does Joe Clarke respond to Deacon Simms' suggestion about the jail?
4. How does Daisy respond to the question of whether she prefers Jim Weston or Dave Carter?
5. Where has Daisy been before her return to town?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)