|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Deacon Simms, why does the town need a jail?
(a) The town is full of lawlessness.
(b) The church basement is overcrowded with prisoners.
(c) The jail will bring in government money.
(d) The jail will provide some much-needed jobs.
2. Where have Jim Weston and Dave Carter been before they arrive at the store in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) They have been playing music at a whites-only club.
(b) They were at Daisy's house.
(c) They have been out working in the fields all day.
(d) They have been working up North at a white-owned factory.
3. How does Joe Clarke respond to Deacon Simms' suggestion about the jail?
(a) He agrees and wants to hear more.
(b) He is offended and argues.
(c) He laughs because he thinks it must be a joke.
(d) He isn't sure, but agrees to bring it up at the next town meeting.
4. What does Deacon Simms discuss after he moves beyond the subject of snakes?
(a) He wants to know what the men think about Mrs. Roberts.
(b) He wants to talk about making improvements to the town's school.
(c) He begins to gossip about Daisy Blunt.
(d) He begins to preach about changes that the town needs.
5. How has Daisy's return to town affected Jim Weston and Dave Carter?
(a) It has not affected them at all.
(b) Daisy's return to town has put a strain on their friendship.
(c) Dave Carter is distracted by her attention, but Jim Weston is ignoring her.
(d) Jim Weston is distracted by her attention, but Dave Carter is ignoring her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Joe Clarke?
2. Which of the following best describes Teets Miiller and Bootsie Pitts?
3. Where did Joe Lindsay find the mule bone?
4. How does Dave Carter react to Jim Weston's anger?
5. What does Dave Carter buy for Daisy?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)