|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Baptists respond to Jim Weston entering the church?
(a) They cheer him and shout words of encouragement.
(b) The whisper about him as he walks up the aisle.
(c) In unison, they all turn their backs on him.
(d) They taunt him with chicken and rooster calls.
2. For what does Sister Taylor chastise the children in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) For not including everyone in their games.
(b) For teasing the Methodist children.
(c) For getting in the way of the adults' work.
(d) For not going to church on Sunday.
3. What are Joe Clarke and Deacon Simms doing when Jim Weston and Dave Carter arrive at the store?
(a) They are beating each other with the mule bone.
(b) They are playing a friendly game of checkers.
(c) They are shaking hands and apologizing to each other.
(d) They are still arguing about the town.
4. From which mule did the bone originally come?
(a) Lum Boger's old mule.
(b) No one knows.
(c) The mule that escaped from Will Cody's pasture.
(d) Matt Brazzle's mean mule.
5. What explanation does Sister Thomas offer to explain Joe Clarke's decisions regarding the trial?
(a) She says he sees it as his responsibility as mayor.
(b) She says Joe Clarke is using the trial to challenge Deacon Simms.
(c) She says Joe Clarke resents Jim Weston and is looking for an excuse to get him out of town.
(d) She says he knows that no one else will step up to take the leadership role.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the store owner at first refuse to give Mrs. Roberts the meat that she asks for?
2. What is Jim Weston's sentence for his crime?
3. According to Lige Mosely, why should a Baptist be afraid to go swimming?
4. What does Dave Carter do after Jim Weston hits him?
5. What is the setting of Act 3?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)