|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the church bell rung?
(a) Lum Boger rings the bell to signal the beginning of the trial.
(b) Hambo rings the bell as a way of ushering Jim Weston out of town.
(c) Deacon Simms rings the bell to draw attention to his client's case.
(d) It was an accident; someone fell and grabbed the rope.
2. Why does Sister Jones say she won't testify for Jim Weston?
(a) Her husband will not let her speak in court.
(b) She says she does not know enough about the fight.
(c) She likes Dave Carter more and believes that he did not deserve to be beaten.
(d) She says she does not care what happens; she does not like Jim Weston or Dave Carter.
3. What color shirt is Dave Carter wearing?
(b) The text does not reveal the color.
4. How does Deacon Lindsay respond to Sister Taylor's and Sister Thomas' actions in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) He gets angry and wants to know why they aren't speaking.
(b) He is offended and turns to leave.
(c) He laughs because he thinks they are behaving like children.
(d) He extends his hand and asks for a reconciliation.
5. How does Sister Taylor defend herself when Joe Lindsay chastises her for arguing in church?
(a) She says she is not the only one who is talking.
(b) She criticizes him for beating his wife.
(c) She says he has no right to tell her what to do.
(d) She criticizes him for not feeding his horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What assurance does Deacon Simms give Sisters Taylor and Thomas?
2. What part of Joe Clarke's appearance does Sister Thomas criticize?
3. What does Jim Weston assume when he sees Dave coming down the tracks?
4. How does Jim Weston react when Daisy puts her hand on his arm to comfort him?
5. What explanation does Deacon Lindsay give to explain why he doesn't want to talk to Sister Taylor?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)